Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Opinion Based On Post Game vs. Ravens) Is Robert Being Accountable?

HogSeason

Let me preface this by saying he does mention that he needs to play better. But it's important to remember a lot of these responses are canned responses that are rehearsed by players prior to addressing the media.

It's important to read between the lines even when the most routine, ambiguous responses are given.

Following the Ravens preseason game, in a locker room interview, Sonny Jurgenson commented to Griffin "The first team offense has not been able to get in the end zone all preseason".

Griffins response (paraphrasing) was "... When all 11 players are working together we can be something special but we can't continue to hurt ourselves".

Now on the surface there is nothing wrong with this response. But when he mentions "11 players" it seems to imply that other players are also at fault. This is a clear example of Robert not accepting full responsibility and shifting the blame.

Maybe Santana Moss was onto something when he criticized Robert for this same issue.

The video can be seen at the link below. You decide for yourselves.

http://m.redskins.com/s/30856/290?categoryItem=1~1&homePageId=8814366&more=true

The question asked about the offense unit throughout the preseason. Griffin gave a generic answer for that unit's preseason problems.

If the question was along the lines of "how do you think you performed tonight" ....and Griff would've given that answer, then ya got something

The question asked about the offense unit throughout the preseason. Griffin gave a generic answer for that unit's preseason problems.

If the question was along the lines of "how do you think you performed tonight" ....and Griff would've given that answer, then ya got something

The unit is run by him. He should start by saying it's his responsibility and he accepts blame.

Does anyone remember Joe Gibbs' press conferences? He literally took blame for every single thing. Even if the defense performed poorly, he would take blame. Then He would continue to call everyone else "super-smart" and tough.

isn't Robert one of the 11?

Joe Gibbs didn't even play and he would never even hint at the fact anyone else was to blame other than himself. Always took 100% responsibility for everything.

Let's not act like his own teammates have criticized Griffin for this.

People hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see.

It's obvious what you're looking for out of these press conferences.

To be honest I always watch post game press conferences from the leaders of the team. Even in preseason.

I love Griffin and had no bias before watching this. But this is the impression I got based on his body language and responses.

I dont think he should take the full blame because thats shows leadership in some eyes... He was honest and he's 1 of the 11 guys he was referencing!

This is exactly the issue. Behind closed doors and man to man what you are saying is correct. Even then he should still take 100% responsibility because he touches the ball on every down. He runs the unit.

Press conferences and interviews are a different ballgame. This is how he presents himself verbally to the entire world.

RG3 was terrible last season and I'm terrified of the future now.

However, the continued character assassination attempts have to ****ing stop. It's a team game. That's what you're always taught growing up.

There was nothing wrong with that response at all.

There are very real fears about RG3. Let's stop making ones up

The premise of this thread and a lot of other recent ones are beyond dumb.

So comparing Griffin to Gibbs is a little unfair. Coach vs. QB, 23 year old kid vs 60s something "seen it all" veteran.

A more apt comparison (though still somewhat unfair) would be Gibbs to Gruden. And I actually put something in the game day thread that Gruden had a lot of Gibbs in him during his post game presser. "We're all in this together, and it starts with me." That was the Gibbs line. Gruden wasn't quite as polished, but basically the sane thing.

As far as Griffin, I think he stated he needed to play better, learn from it, and go from there.

But I'll bet you this: as poorly as he played, and he played poorly, he was not the only one, and there were members of the OL that really hurt his chances for success directly by getting beat like a drum on pass play and completely incapable of run blocking consistently.

And I'm sure in his mind, he shares blame, but he is not entirely to blame.

Another thing: If he had just said he was really bad, that would have been the lead story on SC for a week. So he tried to say nothing and not give anybody a quote they could use.

I also said that he really looked uncomfortable and like he didn't want to be there.

did you same guys get upset in year 1 when there were a ton of games when RG3 was basically the only dominant player on the team but always said "we" then? If he's getting ripped for saying "we" now then I so wish that back then he wouldve been saying "Im our only good player, I carried us tonight, and we wouldve lost without me".

Its sad the way our fanbase is treating him. Then someone says he cant say we with how crappy he's been playing? Again, would you have been upset in year 1 if he wouldve been throwing guys under the bus? Its how he talks. Its from his father's military background. They are all in it togetehr. One for all, all for one. Thats what he believes no matter if its good or bad. Stop looking at it like a negative and take it the way he means it in that they are a team and they both fail & suceed together. The funny thing is the people upset at this are some of the same people who use to call him things like RG3esus and stuff like that. You cant have it both ways

RG3 was terrible last season and I'm terrified of the future now.

However, the continued character assassination attempts have to ****ing stop. It's a team game. That's what you're always taught growing up.

There was nothing wrong with that response at all.

There are very real fears about RG3. Let's stop making ones up

The premise of this thread and a lot of other recent ones are beyond dumb.

fear not homie. Its all the recovery from the injury. It takes time. At some point it will click again and when it does then he/and the team will never look back

So comparing Griffin to Gibbs is a little unfair. Coach vs. QB, 23 year old kid vs 60s something "seen it all" veteran.

A more apt comparison (though still somewhat unfair) would be Gibbs to Gruden. And I actually put something in the game day thread that Gruden had a lot of Gibbs in him during his post game presser. "We're all in this together, and it starts with me." That was the Gibbs line. Gruden wasn't quite as polished, but basically the sane thing.

As far as Griffin, I think he stated he needed to play better, learn from it, and go from there.

But I'll bet you this: as poorly as he played, and he played poorly, he was not the only one, and there were members of the OL that really hurt his chances for success directly by getting beat like a drum on pass play and completely incapable of run blocking consistently.

And I'm sure in his mind, he shares blame, but he is not entirely to blame.

Another thing: If he had just said he was really bad, that would have been the lead story on SC for a week. So he tried to say nothing and not give anybody a quote they could use.

I also said that he really looked uncomfortable and like he didn't want to be there.

I agree for the most part. I know it's a reach but it's hard to get anything from these press conferences without reading between the lines.

Just because there are others to blame does not make it okay for RG3 to imply it publicly.

The issue isn't that RG3 doesn't take blame. People (not you) aren't even reading the first sentence of the OP.

The issue is that he doesn't take full responsibility and is eager to remind us there are other players at fault as well.

It really pisses me off when ppl attack Rob as teammate and person. Say what you want about his play but damn, let him have that at least

I agree for the most part. I know it's a reach but it's hard to get anything from these press conferences without reading between the lines.

Just because there are others to blame does not make it okay for RG3 to imply it publicly.

The issue isn't that RG3 doesn't take blame. People (not you) aren't even reading the first sentence of the OP.

The issue is that he doesn't take full responsibility and is eager to remind us there are other players at fault as well.

Have you ever played a sport in your life? Honest question.

In every sport i've played, "we" has always been the proper response. Players are programmed to do that as kids. You (like Kleese, Kevin Sheehan, Loverro) are reading too deeply into things. Maybe that's how you are in life but damn dude there are actual tangible things to be worried about

It really pisses me off when ppl attack Rob as teammate and person. Say what you want about his play but damn, let him have that at least

In every sport i've played, "we" has always been the proper response. Players are programmed to do that as kids. You (like Kleese, Kevin Sheehan, Loverro) are reading too deeply into things. Maybe that's how you are in life but damn dude there are actual tangible things to be worried about

Agreed. No one should have to endure the BS of being our starting QB.

Yes played football.

Never said anyone should worry about this. It's just a discussion.

I saw all of Cousins press conferences following his starts last year. He would always say "I" rather than "We" when taking about the offenses failures.

Even Santana criticized this.

Obviously, only RGIII knows what RGIII is thinking.

That said, I don't think people (not including media people) on this site are going after his off-field character.  I think you can say that RGIII at least gives the perception that he is not accepting enough responsibility for his actions and resorts to often to use the word "we".

People are just offering their opinion of what they see in interviews and such.  RGIII is not as bad as the game showed.  He will have a better showing come game 1.  My only question is how long do we have to wait until he starts to become a more consistent and efficient passer.  We are going to have to be patient, but do we wait games or a season or what?

And, I played a team sport for a long time and occasionally it was about "I".  In the NFL, the QB is the most important position on the field, unlike many ofther team sports.

It's important to read between the lines even when the most routine, ambiguous responses are given.

Reading between the lines is speculative and open to interpretation.

I could read between the lines of your post and believe that you're a concerned fan expressing your honest opinion. I could also believe that you're just trolling.

That said, I don't think people (not including media people) on this site are going after his off-field character. I think you can say that RGIII at least gives the perception that he is not accepting enough responsibility for his actions and resorts to often to use the word "we".

People are just offering their opinion of what they see in interviews and such. RGIII is not as bad as the game showed. He will have a better showing come game 1. My only question is how long do we have to wait until he starts to become a more consistent and efficient passer. We are going to have to be patient, but do we wait games or a season or what?

And, I played a team sport for a long time and occasionally it was about "I". In the NFL, the QB is the most important position on the field, unlike many ofther team sports.

Exactly. I'm not trying to attack his character.

And it is just an opinion as I state in the title and the OP.

That said, I don't think people (not including media people) on this site are going after his off-field character.  I think you can say that RGIII at least gives the perception that he is not accepting enough responsibility for his actions and resorts to often to use the word "we".

People are just offering their opinion of what they see in interviews and such.  RGIII is not as bad as the game showed.  He will have a better showing come game 1.  My only question is how long do we have to wait until he starts to become a more consistent and efficient passer.  We are going to have to be patient, but do we wait games or a season or what?

And, I played a team sport for a long time and occasionally it was about "I".  In the NFL, the QB is the most important position on the field, unlike many ofther team sports.

you definitely wait a season for a heisman winner who had one of the best rookie seasons of all time and led your team to a divison title. If he cant get that much then its a disgrace and that goes for fans, media, and orginization. Its not like he just fell off. He blew his knee out and played through it because he wanted to win. He deserves atleast that much time after that especially for an inept Franchise who hasnt had a good QB in a million years. Now we finally get one and its like, "we dont care about your knee. Play well right now or GTFO scrub". I still cant believe this is going on

Yes played football.

Never said anyone should worry about this. It's just a discussion.

I saw all of Cousins press conferences following his starts last year. He would always say "I" rather than "We" when taking about the offenses failures.

Even Santana criticized this.

well he was wrong to.

Archived