Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to sue the republican party for willful denial of scientific evidence about climate change.

Mad Mike

Oh and since you threw out a random scientific term...

Global Sea-Level Changes During the Past Century | CU Sea Level Research Group

Sea level, corrected for long-term movements, is found to be rising in all but three regions, which have small station populations, sparse long-range data or are tectonically active. Along the east coast of North America, an apparent maximum sea-level rise is observed in both tide-gauge and late Holocene sea-level indicators between Chesapeake Bay and New Jersey (36°-40°N). This enhanced mid-Atlantic subsidence, possibly indicating neotectonic activity or sediment loading, has persisted for at least the last 7,000 yrs. Subsidence of northern New England-Maritime Canada (44°-46°N) may be caused by a migrating crest of the peripheral forebulge at the edge of formerly glaciated areas. Sea-level changes in western North America show greater spatial variations than for the east coast, which can be related to more active tectonism in California and British Columbia and to strong, localized isostatic rebound in Alaska.

Most of the recent sea-level rise can be accounted for in terms of the thermal expansion of the upper layers of the ocean and by melting of alpine glaciers.

And in other news...  

Risk of American 'megadroughts' for decades, NASA warns - CNN.com

There is no precedent in contemporary weather records for the kinds of droughts the country's West will face, if greenhouse gas emissions stay on course, a NASA study said.

No precedent even in the past 1,000 years.

The feared droughts would cover most of the western half of the United States -- the Central Plains and the Southwest.

Those regions have suffered severe drought in recent years. But it doesn't compare in the slightest to the 'megadroughts' likely to hit them before the century is over due to global warming.

I think this is pretty solid evidence of human influence:

Historical Global CO2 Emissions | Center for Climate and Energy Solutions

It's still a correlation at this point although as PeterMP will tell you we definitely have found causal associations as in when we cut certain emissions the ozone hole responded almost immediately.  I think the link/the relationship is incredibly strong based on everything I have read or the scientists I have interviewed. That said, even if there is some question as to what percentage of the climate change is due to man made activity... cleaning up our act is good.  After all, if we don't know how the exact degree of man's influence the bigger worry is that we really don't know the exact tipping point.  Some studies have said that we have passed the tipping point in some specific areas like Antarctic melting.

• Like 1

Musk is hoping to take advantage of the duck curve problem and subsidies/regs .

certainly might work for him ;)  if there is not change.

I would love to have a battery that stores excess energy created by my solar panels. I would think all libertarian/pull oneself up by their own bootstraps would love to be able to get off the grid ;)

It's still a correlation at this point although as PeterMP will tell you we definitely have found causal associations as in when we cut certain emissions the ozone hole responded almost immediately.  I think the link/the relationship is incredibly strong based on everything I have read or the scientists I have interviewed. That said, even if there is some question as to what percentage of the climate change is due to man made activity... cleaning up our act is good.  After all, if we don't know how the exact degree of man's influence the bigger worry is that we really don't know the exact tipping point.  Some studies have said that we have passed the tipping point in some specific areas like Antarctic melting.

I have never understood why Democrats have not embraced the message that cleaning the environment is better for everyone health and money-wise as a way to achieve the end result. It could be sold to the hunting/fishing crowd, to the job creation crowd, to people that only care about money crowd. Heck, launch grand project that unites the country in creating a super efficient power grid. Put the money up for massive R&D projects. The amount of energy lost from creation until it's used at a house for instance is staggering.

To me, this is the current way around the global warming deniers.

Edited by Hersh

I have never understood why Democrats have not embraced the message that cleaning the environment is better for everyone health and money-wise as a way to achieve the end result. It could be sold to the hunting/fishing crowd, to the job creation crowd, to people that only care about money crowd. Heck, launch grand project that unites the country in creating a super efficient power grid. Put the money up for massive R&D projects. The amount of energy lost from creation until it's used at a house for instance is staggering.

To me, this is the current way around the global warming deniers.

Me either. Most of the climate deniers I interviewed (in the political spectrum) actually seemed to believe that climate change was real, but that it was too expensive to deal with.  Climate denial is not an issue of belief then, but cheapness.

• Like 1

Right, I think if Global Warming was sold more on the pollution/clean up the dang planet spectrum rather then the "omg doooom" side (even if there is some truth to the doom-aspect) more folks would get on board.

Cleaning up our water sources, cleaning the air, going a more ethical route when it comes to how we produce meat on the table, seriously looking into renewable energy sources shouldn't be a political hot button issue.

I would love to have a battery that stores excess energy created by my solar panels. I would think all libertarian/pull oneself up by their own bootstraps would love to be able to get off the grid ;)

Certainly....if ya can afford it or have others pay for it.(subsidies/mandates)

I think fuel cells are the better option,but it will be fun to watch.

Musk needs a selling point for Gigafactory since the EV market ain't looking good :)

Right, I think if Global Warming was sold more on the pollution/clean up the dang planet spectrum rather then the "omg doooom" side (even if there is some truth to the doom-aspect) more folks would get on board.

Cleaning up our water sources, cleaning the air, going a more ethical route when it comes to how we produce meat on the table, seriously looking into renewable energy sources shouldn't be a political hot button issue.

How does one achieve that without getting regulation(s) passed? The private sector isn't going to make the changes unless they are forced too and the public doesn't care enough to force them. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Since I haven't actually tried to bring this suit forward, you are once again babbling nonsense in a pitiful attempt at a personal shot at me rather than an intelligent rational debate on the science. Standard for you, and the reason I consider you one step below pond scum.

Someday you might get a grip on this stuff, Mike, mi amigo. In the meantime, take a seat for a week. 

Certainly....if ya can afford it or have others pay for it.(subsidies/mandates)

I think fuel cells are the better option,but it will be fun to watch.

Musk needs a selling point for Gigafactory since the EV market ain't looking good :)

I have to disagree with the EV market not looking good. More and more automakers are making an EV which will bring the prices down across the board. Reminds me of the hybrids when they came out. Now there are a lot of hybrid vehicles. 

I have to disagree with the EV market not looking good. More and more automakers are making an EV which will bring the prices down across the board. Reminds me of the hybrids when they came out. Now there are a lot of hybrid vehicles. 

does that mean we can reduce the subsidies?

we can leave the mandates to keep them somewhat viable 

Considering Musk has allowed his technology to be built upon by releasing it for anyone to develop, it's only a matter of time.

~Bang

One can hope with time that the petroleum industry will be reduced to what the coal industry has become these days. Outdated, forgotten, and mostly unimportant.

Edited by The Evil Genius

BMW, Tesla, Chevy, Fiat, Ford, Kia, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Smart, Volkswagen all have EV models out or coming out soon.

I am hoping to buy an EV for my next car so I'm excited that more and more of these vehicles will be on the market soon. Also, Apple appears to be getting into this market.

Anyway, this is exactly the way to go to battle climate change. As I said, I wish the Dems would embrace it. Heck, even the Republicans could embrace it as a jobs creator....ok, maybe not

Edited by Hersh

How does one achieve that without getting regulation(s) passed? The private sector isn't going to make the changes unless they are forced too and the public doesn't care enough to force them. 

Oh, I agree with you 100% I am all for that, all of it.  What I meant was, the portion of the country that seems to be either in denial about climate change completely, in denial about the man-made aspect, or just think it is too expensive to deal with/no hope, I think their hearts & minds still need to be won over on the issue.  So going about that, instead of approaching them and explaining how inhabitable the planet will become in 100 or so years, start presenting just how messed up things are now, not in terms of a storm or flood or drought alone but the effects of the pollution itself.

I would almost so a "think globally, act locally" campaign is something that could work.  Compel people to work on their own communities first. It's been done, with winning results.

does that mean we can reduce the subsidies?

we can leave the mandates to keep them somewhat viable

we can, but we shouldn't. unless the goal is to destroy competition in the energy market.

like many technologies we enjoy, the government must fund the initial start up. it isn't new and it shouldn't even be controversial.

The only way I think Apple really gets into the market is if they buy Tesla (rumored) or another existing company.

You know the word on the street that Apple has a couple hundred people working on it already.

DETROIT, MI - Hundreds of Apple employees, including some former auto industry designers, engineers and executives, are working on a secretive project focused on possibly developing an electric vehicle. 

That's according to multiple news reports, including one in the Wall Street Journal, published Friday, that says the project, called Titan, has floated a minivan-like design for the vehicle. 

A call seeking comment was left with Apple Tuesday. The Cupertino, Calif. technology giant has so far remained silent on any such plans, and some reports are beginning to question whether Apple is moving toward developing its own vehicle - a massive undertaking - or in the direction of a greater presence in existing automakers' dashboards.

Apple has the cash reserves to make a bold move like that.

I'm kind eh about what I expect from them. They have some very, very strong traits as a company when it comes to products, but they have some equally weak ones as well. Some of their weaker areas give me concern over something like.... a moving vehicle at 60 miles an hour.

I hope it's the most hipster car ever just so I can have a good laugh.

Apple has the cash reserves to make a bold move like that.

I'm kind eh about what I expect from them. They have some very, very strong traits as a company when it comes to products, but they have some equally weak ones as well. Some of their weaker areas give me concern over something like.... a moving vehicle at 60 miles an hour.

I hope it's the most hipster car ever just so I can have a good laugh.

I don't know. 60mph is really slow compared to the speed our data travels :D

we can, but we shouldn't. unless the goal is to destroy competition in the energy market.

like many technologies we enjoy, the government must fund the initial start up. it isn't new and it shouldn't even be controversial.

how long is initial?

Does that mean we can reduce the oil subsidies?

Is oil viable yet?

fine by me, paying Yankees for their heating oil  needs to stop