Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to sue the republican party for willful denial of scientific evidence about climate change.

Mad Mike

Mont Blanc: Glacier in danger of collapse, experts warn

About 250,000 cubic metres of ice are in danger of breaking away from the Planpincieux glacier on the Grandes Jorasses peak, officials said.

The mayor of the nearby town of Courmayeur said global warming was changing the mountain.

The Mont Blanc massif is Western Europe's highest mountain range.

It has 11 peaks above 4,000m in France and Italy and attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists every year.

On Tuesday, Courmayeur Mayor Stefano Miserocchi signed an order closing roads in the Val Ferret on the Italian side of Mont Blanc, after experts warned that a section of the glacier was sliding at speeds of 50-60cm (16-23in) per day.

He said there was no threat to residential areas or tourist facilities but mountain huts in the Rochefort area were being evacuated as a precaution.

The Planpincieux glacier has been closely monitored since 2013 in an attempt to establish the frequency with which ice is melting. But authorities warn that there is no "alert system" in place.

In one weather-related incident in August 2018, an elderly couple were killed near Planpincieux in Courmayeur when their car was swept from a road and into a valley during a landslide. Hundreds of people were evacuated, some of them by helicopter.

Rising global temperatures are causing the melting of mountain glaciers and the retreat of polar ice sheets.

Click on the link for the full article

She has specifically and explicitly said that they are targeting particular countries/leaders where they believe their actions will have the most effect.  I am sure that the Qataris would not be among that group.  I think her selectivity for criticism is extremely smart and logical.  Of course the entire world needs to change, but identifying potentially amenable leaders and focusing efforts where most effective is just smart use of political capital.  

• Like 2

Just now, twa said:

Why Not???

Because it shows you don't understand the concept of prioritization.

Also, that willful lack of understanding is a common tactic among people who **** about stuff while sitting on the sidelines. They do little to nothing while trying to negate the person who is actually putting in effort, because they are not putting effort in some perfect way, with absolute coverage and effectiveness.

The whole, I will hold you to an absolute standard of virtue or effectiveness, while not meeting that same standard in even the most meager of ways. See the GOP, with regards to morals or ethics or putting country over party.

4 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Because it shows you don't understand the concept of prioritization.

I understand it very well, as well as the fact her priority targets will point out her selectivity and unfairness.

Kinda like the idiots targeting domestic energy production here.

4 hours ago, twa said:

He is saying she is selective in her outrage and targets......Bitter over being sued Frenchman.

please try to keep up. :pint:

No bitterness whatsoever I don't like Macron and the other politicians. I think she's manipulated by her parents, she talks a lot just to repeat what we already know. Does she have any solution ? No

Edit: Qatar is holding the track and field world championships, broadcasted all over the planet

Edited by FrFan

22 hours ago, twa said:

I understand it very well, as well as the fact her priority targets will point out her selectivity and unfairness.

I mean, has she said that she's in favor of this Qatari stadium? Does she have to specifically state out loud all 300 millions things that are bad for the environment? I find it very curious why she remains silent about my neighbor Bill who is constantly using plastic straws. What's up with that, huh?

Let's talk about the real issue here though. How are you twa? I mean... HOW ARE YOU? I don't know what is causing your pain, so thinly veiled & I'm not going to pressure you to tell. I just want you to know that you have my attention as well as my concern. Will you do me a favor, please? Pray with me twa... pray with me.

Dear lord, although my mortal mind cannot possibly comprehend why you have chosen to task this rock on which we dwell with the burden of dragging twa's carcass around the sun even one more time, I know that I must trust in your plan. Only you are aware of the extent & cause of the suffering which has turned his soul into some form of animal excrement... possibly monkey. Please receive this prayer in love. LIFT UP TWA, and heal his dark, dark heart. May your peace and guidance be with him always. Amen.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 4

Iowa teacher placed on leave after 'sniper' comment about Greta Thunberg visit

A high school teacher in Iowa has been placed on administrative leave after he posted a threatening comment on Facebook Thursday in response to a news story about the local visit of 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg.

Waterloo West High School science teacher Matt Baish posted “don’t have my sniper rifle” next to a story about the Swedish student’s trip to Iowa City Friday, The Des Moines Register reported.

Others responding to Baish were horrified by his comment. Screenshots of his remark, which was later deleted, were posted on the Waterloo Community School District Facebook page, according to the newspaper.

5d9aad1c210000b103ab3a32.png

Parents emphasized to a local news station that Baish made the threatening comment about a child the same age as students he teaches. That means students can enter a classroom “where they don’t feel safe, where they don’t feel they can share their opinion, where they don’t feel respected” said one mother (see the video above). “We as parents have to stand up against that.”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rising seas are a much bigger danger than experts thought

HERE’S ANOTHER piece of evidence that climate change might be worse than scientists previously predicted.

The seas are rising, and will continue to rise, because hotter temperatures melt land-based ice and expand the volume existing ocean water takes up. But while much study has examined the shift in amount and warmth of seawater humans will face, there is another variable scientists must get right to assess the risk to humanity: just how many people live in low-lying areas. A new paper suggests previous estimates of land elevation — and, therefore, the number of at-risk people — were wrong.

The study, published Tuesday in the journal Nature Communications, corrects satellite elevation data, and it “reveals a developed global coastline three times more exposed to extreme coastal water levels than previously thought,” the authors warn. Even under an optimistic scenario in which heat-warming greenhouse emissions are restrained and Antarctic ice sheets remain stable, “the global impacts of sea-level rise and coastal flooding this century will likely be far greater than indicated by the most pessimistic past analyses.”

And that’s the rosy scenario. If Antarctica’s massive ice sheets became unstable — and there are ominous signs — land that is home to 300 million people would be at risk of yearly flooding by 2050, 50 million more than present projections. Some 230 million more people than current estimates would be vulnerable by 2100.