Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/1/23/7454171/dandre-payne-maryland-transfer-tennessee

D'Andre Payne transfers to Maryland: Terps pick up former 4-star CB from Tennessee

Maryland has added an important future piece to their secondary, as former Tennessee cornerback D'Andre Payne will transfer to College Park. A D.C. native, Payne was a four-star prospect coming out of high school in 2014.

Payne played as a true freshman for Tennessee this season, so if he has to sit out he can use his redshirt year (giving him three years of eligibility for the Terrapins). He played in eight games for the Volunteers, mostly on special teams, recording four tackles.

A 5'9, 185-pound defensive back, Payne was a highly-rated prospect coming out of H.D. Woodson his senior year. He was considered a four-star prospect by the 247Sports Composite in the 2014 Class, ranking as the 22nd-best cornerback in the class and the second-best player in D.C. (behind Jalen Tabor and ahead of Will Ulmer). Prior to his senior year at Woodson, Payne was at Friendship Academy with current Maryland players Yannick Ngakoue, Cavon Walker, Jermaine Carter and Derwin Gray, among others.

Cornerback has been a position of need for Maryland for a few years now, and adding a talented player like Payne will help significantly with the secondary's depth.

Consider this a big win for the Class of 2015.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Look I am a MD grad, I lived on campus and watched Len Bias play pickup games on South Hill outside my dorm.  I am a true blue MD fan.  Wells and Trimble struggled tonight.  This team could be one and done in the NCAA tourney or make a deep run.  As a MD fan, I always long for the time when we come out for big games, like tonight, and win.  It's a disappointing loss.  And yes they were lights out.

You were there about the same time as I was.

I said the same basic thing about this team much earlier in this thread.  They are an overall young team (yes, a couple 'upperclassmen', but they had so many kids transfer out/in that they are still raw as a team).  They will play well some nights and really excite us.  They will also play badly some nights and frustrate us.  

AS for this game in particular, how many teams win when their opponents play as well in the second half as Indiana.  Part of the difference of home/away games in College.

The Terps will be fine overall.  How far they go in the NCAA depends completely on opponents.  Like chipwich said, they could go out early (I know lower seeds will like seeing them in their bracket) while they can literally beat anyone (higher seeds will not like them in their bracket).

Just hang on and enjoy the ride this season.

You can say that about every single team in the NCAA besides Kentucky this year.  You play what your schedule is.  They have been exceeded expectations already and they were predicted 9th in the big ten.  Maryland will be a 2 or 3 seed when this is all over.  They are the 2nd best team in the conference after wisconsin. 

Look I understand they overachieved, and I love it.  But lets not get overboard.  And you can't say that about any team but Kentucky.  Virginia is shutting everyone down.  I doubt Duke/Wisconsin will be one and done.  A realistic guess would be a 3rd seed, and in case you aren't paying attention they are 3rd in the big ten and just got rolled by the 2nd place team.

• Like 1

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-football-recruiting/2015/1/24/7855043/dj-turner-recruiting-maryland-commits

DJ Turner commits to Maryland: Terps add talented, connected '16 DeMatha athlete

Maryland has added a third local piece to their 2016 class, as DeMatha (Md.) wide receiver Darryl "DJ" Turner committed to the Terps Saturday, the prospect announced on Twitter. Turner joins DeMatha running back Lorenzo Harrison and Good Counsel (Md.) linebacker Keandre Jones in the class.

Listed at 5'10 and 175 pounds, Turner is not yet rated by the 247Sports Composite. He is likely to play wide receiver or defensive back at the next level. Maryland offered him a scholarship in mid-January, joining Army and Old Dominion (Western Michigan later offered). He participated in camps at Penn State and Ohio State this past summer.

Turner is a part of a loaded DeMatha rising senior class that includes four-star wide receiver Tino Ellis, four-star offensive guard Terrance Davis, four-star offensive tackle JP Urquidez and Harrison. Maryland is very much interested in all of them (as well as close friends Dwayne Haskins and Trevon Diggs), and adding another player from that group should only help the Terps' chances with the rest of them.

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2015/01/24/demathas-dj-turner-commits-maryland/

DeMatha's DJ Turner Commits To Maryland

It’s been quite the 24 hour period for the Maryland football program.

After securing a commitment from Tennessee cornerback transfer D’Andre Payne on Friday, the Terrapins received a pledge from 2016 DeMatha wide receiver DJ Turner. Turner becomes the third commitment for Maryland’s 2016 class and the third local recruit to stay close to home.

Turner is also the second pledge from DeMatha as he joins running back Lorenzo Harrison with the Terps. Good Counsel linebacker Keandre Jones is the other member of Maryland’s 2016 class, which could be loaded by the time all the chips fall over the course of the next calendar year.

Turner is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals and is the 18th best player in the state of Maryland. The DeMatha wideout currently has offers from Army, Old Dominion, and Western Michigan. He was just offered by Maryland six days ago.

Turner is a dynamic playmaker that accounted for more than 800 receiving and kick return yards for the Stags. He also had a mind-boggling eight interceptions on the defensive side of the ball.

Maryland recruited Turner as an athlete, so it’s currently unclear what position he’ll play once he arrives in College Park. The DeMatha junior is as electrifying a player as you will see in the area. He’s somewhat like Stefon Diggs in terms of what he can do after the catch. Turner can flat-out fly and is dangerous no matter where he lines up on the field.

It may be early, but Maryland already has a top 30 recruiting class in 2016 and a top five class in the Big Ten.

I know I said I wouldn't post during the game anymore, but I gotta just say one thing. I want Turgeon on the hot seat. This is ridiculous. You get blown away on the road and have a beatable opponent at home, you HAVE to respond. Not happy. At all.

Finally!! I see a run coming

Another absurd start to a game from an n opponent shooting 3s. 6/9. If this continues, Maryland won't win another conference game.

If it happens once, it's a team on fire. It happens twice, it's a trend that needs fixing.

Either way, they showed a lot of heart tonight!! I'll take the win any day.

The team's defense is troubling.  Offense relies on too much 1-1 breaking their defender.

Awesome comeback though.  Dez taking it to the rack and Layman hit a gigantic three.  The game winning shot that Wells hit was great athleticism.  Perfect timing on the put back.

The team's defense is troubling.  

Offense relies on too much 1-1 breaking their defender.

The defense is struggling now because there is no backside help and no presence in the middle.  Guys have to compensate now and play back and they are giving up the 3 ball.  Prior to these last 3 games, we were #1 in the big 10 in 3pt defense. Wonder why? Dodd was a presence because he was playing against bigs who couldn't match his hustle.  Now we are playing bigs who are better and can match Dodd's hustle and he is deemed useless.  Lyman can't play the 4 because of the better big 10 teams have 2 bigs in the game vs a stretch 4.  I have no idea why MT thinks Evan is a solid decision at the 4 or 5 at times.  

The other reason the defense is struggling is because the past two teams had bigs who could should outside. The other teams used that against MD, getting all the players out on the perimeter at times, leaving wide open lanes to the basket. NW ran that cut to the basket, that wasn't even that much of a play, and got easy layups. Against a normal team, the 4 or 5 playing against the screener would be hanging back some. Also, NW and Indiana both had guys shooting out of their mind. Indiana just got hotter. NW seemed to miss shots that were more open in the 2nd half than some of the ones they hit in the first.

Even so, the defensive rotation the last two games has been terrible. Too many open shots, and guys are moving out of the way of the driver. I saw several times tonight where the initial defender got beat, then the help defense stepped towards the player, but then moved out of the way.

I am happy they found a way to win, because they lose that game the past 5 years, and maybe even further back. It's good to get wins where you were outplayed most of the game, but came back when you had to. When they get down again, they will know they can come back. I'd just rather not see them get that far behind.

The defense is struggling now because there is no backside help and no presence in the middle.  Guys have to compensate now and play back and they are giving up the 3 ball.  Prior to these last 3 games, we were #1 in the big 10 in 3pt defense. Wonder why? Dodd was a presence because he was playing against bigs who couldn't match his hustle.  Now we are playing bigs who are better and can match Dodd's hustle and he is deemed useless.  Lyman can't play the 4 because of the better big 10 teams have 2 bigs in the game vs a stretch 4.  I have no idea why MT thinks Evan is a solid decision at the 4 or 5 at times.  

There isn't much we can do unfortunately.  Trayvon Reed was supposed to be the answer at center, but then he got arrested and Turgeon let him go.  I've said it all year, our big men are weak unfortunately.  Dodd is raw and doesn't have much of a basketball IQ.  I like his size and energy but he doesn't have any post moves offensively.  Smotrycz is weak, and jamming is thumb didn't help.  He gets pushed around by bigger guys.  Layman is a SF and Graham lacks size.  Cekovsky is too young and inexperienced.

Edited by abdcskins

Speaking of Cekovsky, it's great that Turgeon let him start and tried to get him the ball early since his mom and girlfriend were in the country. But that cost them a lot in the first half. He did nothing on defense and was terrible on offense. I'd rather see the first few minutes of offense go to guys that can get in rhythm like Layman and Nickens. If those two get hot early, they will play with tremendous confidence the rest of the game.

Edited by Redskin4ever