Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Lady-Terps-Crack-the-Top-5-35075187

Lady Terps Crack the Top-5

Maryland's women's basketball team moved up one spot for the second consecutive week, going from No. 6 in the AP Poll to No. 5. The Terps beat Michigan State at home, 85-56, and Indiana, 84-74, on the road this past week.

Maryland remains undefeated in conference play in eight games and its now 17-2 overall. They travel to Ann Arbor to play Michigan (12-6, 4-3) and then close out their week at home against No. 20 Iowa (15-3, 6-1). The Terps have now won 11 consecutive games after falling at Notre Dame in early December. The Fighting Irish are ranked one spot ahead of Maryland at No. 4.

Iowa and No. 22 Rutgers are the only other Big Ten teams ranked in the top 25.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/01/26/st-johns-point-guard-anthony-cowan-jr-commits-to-maryland/

St. John’s point guard Anthony Cowan Jr. commits to Maryland

Maryland has added a major first piece to its 2016 recruiting class, netting a commitment from St. John’s junior point guard Anthony Cowan Jr.

Although his commitment only became official on Monday, Cowan has been leaning toward pledging to Maryland for some time. His recruitment took a turn after he visted campus for Maryland’s game against Rutgers several weeks ago, and at that time he “just felt it.”

“I was thinking about holding off to maybe broaden my recruiting to really see other schools,” Cowan said in a text message Monday, “but I just knew Maryland was the place to be.”

The pledge marks the first in the Class of 2016 for Maryland, and a boon at that. Cowan is regarded as one of the area’s most gifted players, reputed for his speed and offensive versatility. Rated a four-star by Scout and a three-star by Rivals, Cowan also has scholarship offers from Georgetown, Illinois, West Virginia, Penn State, Florida State and Xavier.

evidence as to why?

Prince visited OSU after he committed to Bama.

Actually after he promised Saban he was canceling trips to OSU and MD.

Rumor is he'll visit MD too.

Heck, he should. He lives right down the street.  :)

Edit: Nick Saban will be visiting him in-home tomorrow.

Also posted this in the Wizards thread

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/dez-wells-john-wall-the-journey-washington-wizards-he-made-you-feel-you-could-be-something

'He made you feel like you could be something'

It was fitting that shortly after Maryland guard Dez Wells hit a game-winner to lift his team to a 68-67 win over Northwestern, a game that aired on BTN, that same network would debut an episode of its acclaimed series “The Journey” that spotlighted that very senior.

One of the centerpieces of Wells’ story revolved around his relationship with Washington Wizards guard John Wall, with whom Wells grew up in Raleigh, N.C. The two played high school basketball together for three years at Word of God Academy.

“I stayed at his house a lot my senior year in high school,” Wall joked. “Make sure he gets to school on time, make sure I get to school on time.”

John has been like a big brother,” Wells said. “John was like one of the first guys that I saw in Raleigh like really make it so I just kept working and he always told me, you know, hard work pays off. He was one of those guys that you looked up to and it was just like, he made you feel like you could be something.”

As Wells helped Maryland to a win, Wall was in Denver putting up 19 points and 16 assists while committing just two turnovers in a 117-115 Wizards victory over the Nuggets.

“It’s fun and exciting seeing him develop and grow,” Wall said on BTN. “He’s looking at me and I’m telling him at the same time I’m also looking at him and seeing what he’s doing to help his team become one of those elite teams in college basketball.”

Click to read the rest

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-melo-trimble-0125-20150124-story.html#page=1

In dream season, Terps freshman Melo Trimble turning fantasy into reality

As the video board at Xfinity Center flashed above the Maryland men's basketball team's darkened court, freshman Melo Trimble found himself looking up and thinking back to when he was a little kid in Prince George's County, rooting for the Terps.

It was a dream then for Trimble, a fantasy about the day he could wear the uniform of Juan Dixon and Steve Blake. Even now, as he watches his former heroes reappear overhead in moments from some of the program's glory years before games, Trimble goes back in time.

"I see Steve Blake taking the ball from Jay Williams, and that just always gives me chills," said Trimble, sitting on a bench at practice Tuesday. "Not too many people talk about Maryland. I just see that video and I think to myself: 'There've been a lot of great teams, and I want us to be one of those teams.' "

Then the screen goes black and his likeness appears, the home crowd roaring for Maryland's newest star. A smile on his face, a bounce in his step, Trimble is the first player introduced. Someday, he'll likely be the last, a designation typically reserved for the most accomplished Terp.

For now, Trimble is happy to let that honor belong to senior guard Dez Wells, who told his young teammate before the season that, as a point guard, he had to become one of Maryland's leaders.

Isaiah Prince update:

Alabama coaches visited Prince and aren't confident he'll stay committed.

Edsall and Locksley visit Prince in-home thursday...and then he'll visit MD for the weekend.

Looks like this is going to be a MD-OSU battle.

Maryland's upcoming weekend could be big. Some potential flips and chance to secure some big commitments.

NFL HOF’er Randy White was drafted second overall by the @dallascowboys 40 years ago today #MarylandPride

#Rivals100 #Bama OT commit Isaiah Prince will be announcing his final commitment at 9:30am at his school on Signing Day #OSU #UMD

http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/67/Contents/Lady-Terps-Recruits-Mens-Prospect-Chosen-for-McDonalds-Game-35152354

Lady Terps Recruits, Men's Prospect Chosen for McDonald's Game

Both University of Maryland women's basketball recruits, Kiah Gillespie and Brianna Fraser, were named McDonald's All-Americans tonight. Fraser, a 6-foot-3 forward from Brooklyn, is ranked third-ranked forward and 15th-best overall player in the Class of 2015 according to ESPN.com. Gillespie, a 6-foot-1 forward from Hartford, Conn., is ranked the No. 26 player overall and No 6. forward.

On the men's side, the Terps' highest-profile prospect in 2015, Milwaukee center Diamond Stone, was selected as well. Stone, the top-rated center in the Class of 2015 per the 247Sports Composite, is choosing between Maryland, Wisconsin, UConn and Oklahoma State. Maryland was once thought to be a longshot in his recruitment, the that no longer appears to be the case.

The McDonald's All-American games, high school basketball's preeminent all-star event, will be played April 1 in Chicago.

Interesting line tonight: Ohio State -7.5

Granted they are at home but unranked vs. #16 in the nation. Records aren't that far apart but still, line seems heavy in favor of OSU.

I watched OSU destroy Indiana. Line seems about right. 7-8 points isn't a lot in college basketball. Not that Maryland can't beat the spread (or win).

#Alabama recruiting update: OT Isaiah Prince & CB Montrell Custis have been removed from the commit list.

Second step Isaiah not with BAMA no more lol

He know where to be let's do it for our city fool @prince_zayy