Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Girls did a great job, especially after Reese went down. They’re gelling now, Miller is a budding star, and Owunsu can dominate games. Reese getting healthy and back in the flow, make them a definite contender.

Happy for Diamond Miller. Superb all around floor game, fantastic athlete. Can’t wait to see what she does in her next two years.

18 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

....Rick Pitino would look good in the red, black, and gold....

Not an outlandish suggestion at all. He’d definitely bring some serious talent to College Park.

Personally, I’d rather get the next “great” young coach that’ll be there for two decades.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Not an outlandish suggestion at all. He’d definitely bring some serious talent to College Park.

Personally, I’d rather get the next “great” young coach that’ll be there for two decades.

I agree, although having him come in for 5 years + groom a young assistant/retirement replacement to continue the talent pipeline wouldn't be such a bad thing either

Lady Terps vs Lady Game****s regional final could be epic. I myself am not a big fan of Dawn Staley. Met her on the recruiting trail also, and she has an abrasive personality. Gives off the “I’m the smartest person in the room” vibe. Of course, this is only in a single meeting for maybe 5 minutes, so take it for the penny it’s worth, but often, first impressions can be spot on. 

• Like 1

Excellent win by the Terps tonight. They came out and played their (now usual) tough defense, drove hard to the bucket on offense, and hit threes. They made the game down and dirty, UConn played along, and they slugged out the win, even though they had their usual 5 minute offensive swoon trying to milk the clock. Refs helped keep it interesting with some phantom foul calls, but Huskies couldn’t take advantage.

Ayala and Wiggins led them again, and if they can get Bama into another street fight type of game, they’ll have a chance.

• Like 3

For God's sake get Mona off the court.

10 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Wiggins is silky smooth....someone is going to draft him top 12 and he'll have a nice career.

I love Wiggins but he is not that caliber type of player. If he comes back and has a great senior year he'll be late first round material. As he is now he's a mid to late second rounder. Probably wouldn't even get drafted.

• Like 1

Tough half. Bama is a good team, REALLY good when they hit threes like they are tonight. 

One of the worst halves of ball I’ve seen Scott play this year. Wonder if that knock from the other night is bothering him? Ayala 1-5 from the arc too, can’t have that. Wiggins can only carry them so far.

Gotta keep them off the offensive boards second half, and hit their open shots to have any chance. 

I don't watch much college bball in general but have been watching more recent Terps games.

The amount of 3's shot now a days is shocking to me.  I swear last night and when they lost to UMich in the B10 tourney, it felt like they went 5/60 from behind the arc.  And it felt like they shot maybe 10 non-3pt shots.  It looked like they were playing street ball the entire time aside from a few plays, where they walk the ball up the court and just do a move or two and pop a shot from behind the arc.  BRICK.

Then last night you have Alabama just draining 3's and taking just as many.

It's just so boring to watch this kind of ball to me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I don't watch much college bball in general but have been watching more recent Terps games.

The amount of 3's shot now a days is shocking to me.  I swear last night and when they lost to UMich in the B10 tourney, it felt like they went 5/60 from behind the arc.  And it felt like they shot maybe 10 non-3pt shots.  It looked like they were playing street ball the entire time aside from a few plays, where they walk the ball up the court and just do a move or two and pop a shot from behind the arc.  BRICK.

Then last night you have Alabama just draining 3's and taking just as many.

It's just so boring to watch this kind of ball to me.

That is sort of how the game has evolved. Teams need to score lots of points to keep up, which requires the three ball. Players tend to hang out beyond the arc waiting for a teammate to penetrate and dish. Defenders usually always rotate to help, leaving a guy open to shoot. 

Another problem is Maryland had little to no interior presence this year. No big guy to post up and feed. Of course there were some guys who would drive and cut occasionally, that was actually some of Maryland's best offense. But definitely lots of standing around waiting for someone to make a move. Compare that to Oregon who runs up and down the court, cutting and shooting from all spots on the court. 

Morsell and Galin Smith should be the only departures cuz they are graduating. I don't see why Ayala or Wiggins would leave, neither would get drafted. Should on paper be a good team next year with a solid recruiting class next year.

5 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

That is sort of how the game has evolved. Teams need to score lots of points to keep up, which requires the three ball. Players tend to hang out beyond the arc waiting for a teammate to penetrate and dish. Defenders usually always rotate to help, leaving a guy open to shoot. 

Another problem is Maryland had little to no interior presence this year. No big guy to post up and feed. Of course there were some guys who would drive and cut occasionally, that was actually some of Maryland's best offense. But definitely lots of standing around waiting for someone to make a move. Compare that to Oregon who runs up and down the court, cutting and shooting from all spots on the court. 

Morsell and Galin Smith should be the only departures cuz they are graduating. I don't see why Ayala or Wiggins would leave, neither would get drafted. Should on paper be a good team next year with a solid recruiting class next year.

Yeah the bold is kind of my issue with it, to no fault of their own though.  They are just following what the NBA has become, but in the NBA, they are actually good shooters so a lot of those missed buckets in college go in for the pros.  But watching these college kids who just can't buy a bucket, shoot brick after brick, is just not fun.  And then at the free throw line you had em missing what felt like just as many free throws.

Edited by purbeast

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

Yeah the bold is kind of my issue with it, to no fault of their own though.  They are just following what the NBA has become, but in the NBA, they are actually good shooters so a lot of those missed buckets in college go in for the pros.  But watching these college kids who just can't buy a bucket, shoot brick after brick, is just not fun.  And then at the free throw line you had em missing what felt like just as many free throws.

I agree, watching players brick threes and free throws in particular is frustrating. Especially when it is your team! I'm not a coach, but making shots takes confidence and repetition. Just as much mental as it is physical imo, at least for me. Conditioning helps too.

Sometimes you can't teach good shooting. But you can come up with plays and strategies to get good players open shots. Just up to them to make it. Maryland doesn't have those types of players, or coaches who can find ways to maximize their potential. 

Anyway, good year. Terps played above expectations. There is always next year!

8 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Folks are already discussing coaching candidates on the various message boards.

People are done with Turge.

Let's be realistic, how many signature wins does the guy have?

10 seasons, he's made the sweet 16 once.  He's had a few damn good teams in that 10 year span as well, that simply don't live up to the hype.

• Thanks 1