Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look:PFF Redskins Depth Chart 2014

darrelgreenie

I enjoy reading these breakdowns from sites. I thought I had a football problem, but these guys never sleep. :)

Trent is certainly elite. I don't think that's a homerish statement. The guy is top five at his position without question. There's not a whole lot of LTs out there that I love to watch play, but he is an exception. Freak.

I think our defense could be good, but we need a lot of things to break our way. Hatcher needs to be as good as advertised, Baker needs to step up, Clark needs to play better than his age, Meriweather needs to step up, PThomas needs to push for playing time. Amerson needs to develop into a solid starter, Breeland needs to contribute a lot, KRobinson needs to be a gem, and Rak/Kerrigan need to make more plays. That's a lot to ask, but I think each needs to happen for us to make any noise.

We've got plenty of playmakers on offense, we should score some points. I will be disappointed if we don't have three new starters on the OL, but with that comes some chemistry issues to go along with our new scheme. I'm really hoping Griff can play at an elite level and help carry us early while our OL gels.

I agree with most of this, but I don't think we necessarily need 3 safeties to step up or Breeland to contribute - though it would be nice.

I'd also say that while Baker playing well (consistently) would be a big hep, if he doesn't, I'm not ruling out guys like Bowen, Jenkins and even Golston and Worthington - pretty good chance of someone stepping up (as a starter or rotational guy) particularly as they'd receive the least attention. I also think Kerrigan/Orakpo might take a chunk of snaps at DE with Murphy in at linebacker.

The keys for me are Amerson (as well as whoever plays slot) and Robinson (or another ILB) playing well, the safeties playing decently and the (interior) pass rush improving. I have faith in Amerson and the Dline (though I sure hope Hatcher and Cofield stay healthy) and we have enough options at ILB that I'm hopeful we'll see decent play there.

The keys for me are Amerson (as well as whoever plays slot) and Robinson (or another ILB) playing well, the safeties playing decently and the (interior) pass rush improving. I have faith in Amerson and the Dline (though I sure hope Hatcher and Cofield stay healthy) and we have enough options at ILB that I'm hopeful we'll see decent play there.

I agree Skinny.  Although, I have some serious doubts about Porter playing the slot effectively.  Not real high on him.  That's why I think we need Breeland to step up and give us some production from there.  

And with Amerson, I think he showed improvement last season.  Hoping he keeps it up.  We certainly need it.  And let's hope RCrawford is 100 percent and ready to help out too.

I agree Skinny. Although, I have some serious doubts about Porter playing the slot effectively. Not real high on him. That's why I think we need Breeland to step up and give us some production from there.

And with Amerson, I think he showed improvement last season. Hoping he keeps it up. We certainly need it. And let's hope RCrawford is 100 percent and ready to help out too.

I wondered if that was the reason for the Breeland comment. I don't have too much faith in Porter, but I've heard he played pretty well in the slot (or maybe that was just compared to his play on the outside). Health is also an issue for him. At least we have options there now (Porter, Crawford and Breeland)... last year was a square peg/round hole kind of deal. So, yeah Breeland stepping up would be great.

I had slot corner as a relatively big need for us in the offseason and now it's kind of like the ILB spot IMO - nobody we can point to as the answer (as of yet), but at least we have decent options. Round pegs and round holes, but are the pegs the right size?

Offense                                                                                                           

I think our roster is good.

"Skill positions" look very good the OL is meh/?.

Strengths being the starting RB, WRs and TE and QB.

We also have good depth at those positions.

Depth at the skill positions is an area where I disagree with PFF specifically WR and TE. I think Logan Paulsen is at least average as a back-up TE. He wasn't healthy last year but the previous years he's been a reliable blocker capable of setting the edge in the run game and is an underrated receiver.

Andre Roberts and Tana Moss compared to other teams 3rd and 4th WRs are at least average, especially when Aldrick Robinson was rated as average.

In my eyes the OL is the weakest link in terms of personnel. We have one elite player in Trent.

Tyler played better then most expected and was average last year but can he repeat/improve?

Chester is coming off a bad year can he bounce back?

Kory was decent at LG so Center should't be a problem for him.

Luavao was just a guy at RG for the Browns will moving to LG, where he should have fewer 1-on-1 blocking assignments, boost his performance?

Then we have to highly regarded rookies in Morgan and Spencer can they push for starting spots this year and boost the OL play?

A lot of questions there....BUT as unit the OL imho performed better last year then the sum of their parts and the unit is returning their OL coach and a lot of scheme continuity (especially in the run game).

BUT without being homerish I think Grudes quick passing emphasis will help the OL out a lot in pass protection.

Defense

As a unit I think our roster on defense is below average.

A lot of the success imho hinges on 1 player and that is never a good position to be in.

In my eyes the story of the defense will be this: as goes Jason Hatcher so goes the defense.

Front/Rush
The DL has a nice rotation of guys that are good at what they do Jenkins/Baker/Bowen (when healthy). The OLB are a strength. The rush element of the defense should be the strength. Where we have 4 players that are very good players Rak, Hatcher, Cofield and Kerrigan. But are they gonna be good enough to cover for back 7 that has many question marks?

Backers

WILB-Huge question mark open competition between a 'red-shirt' and some journeyman

I was actually surprised Akeem Jordan is graded as average starter when he's a depth player that the Chiefs took off the field on 3rd downs and coverage is the area we need most.

SILB-Decent last year but Riley can he bounce back to the player he was the year before or maybe even step up further.

Backs
Imho the best news for the secondary is the addition of Ryan Clark. Not just because of his play on the field which will be a clear improvement over Meriweather et al. But he also brings knowledge and leadership. Ryan knows our defense (steeler's based 34) as well as anybody on our coaching staff. He can call the defense especially for the secondary and make adjustments that places them in the right positions.

Meriweather- I'm no fan of him as FS BUT moving back to SS and playing with Clark (someone who will tell him what to do) will make him a better player.  PFF did say they grade based on how/where they played last year and BM was poor at FS but instead of a 'poor' FS I would put BM at 'below average' SS with hopes that he could play close to average at SS.

DeAngelo-Not worried about him

Amerson-Physical talent is on par w/ Hall I think its reasonable to expect that he becomes an average starter.

Porter-no idea really but maybe moving from outside to inside CB will help?

I think its awesome that PFF took into consideration feedback and made updates.  The website is not a printed document, it can be changed and great journalists should be quick to correct their mistakes if they want credibility to this poster. No one is perfect. Hey grading every teams starters and depth is going to have mistakes. While they may stand firm on things like Trent they reserve the right to define elite to the highest of standards. Trent is a beast. Maybe they dropped him a notch for popping that Seattle punk after the playoff loss... who knows what goes into the crazed minds of sports addicts.  ;)

DG doing yeomans work adding great content during a severe lull in USA sports yo.gif

I too like our roster. My main concern is at OL, but expect  changes attempted... mid season this time if needed, hello. I respect the grade of Roberts, as he is not a starter and is thus unproven. I suspect being a 3 behind 2 studs is a lot easier than a 2. I want a hands back in our offense. Helu seems to have all the potential but I find myself saying that every year. He just doesn't get many looks, well, not since that SF drubbing. I really hope Morris was catching a lot of balls this spring. I do not expect Seastrunk nor Thompson to get significant snaps. 

I like the theory that Lauvao should be improved a tad at LG. We need to sort our C and RG in my mind. Long should be in the mix otherwise I'll likely question the pick sooner than later. He is not a project.  A smart coach doesnt exacerbate a weak interior, so I expect Gruden to not be so hard headed seeing how quick he got ball out in Cincy, if we have holes. A gap expoits AGE lets call them. 

The key to our offense may be a healthy Reed.  If healthy, I can't help but think we are jack stacked. He is that MUCH needed red zone option that we lack.  If our offense rolls, watch out. It will be early 2012 all over again. 

Well said DG.

I think it comes down to 2 things on offense - the Oline and Griffin*. Oline might be talent deficient, but they have a lot of good things going on around them. Griffin has to show he can excel in this offense. I have a lot of faith in Griffin and Gruden's ability to work with him, but I do expect some growing pains.

Defense - I have what I'd call a reasonable expectation, or baseline for each unit.

ILBs - 'below average', same as last year. If someone steps up next to Riley, than average play should be doable.

Pass rush** - I expect a significant improvement. If we were between 'below average' and 'average' last year, I expect 'good' this year.

Safety - Reasonable expectation for me is that our safeties reach a 'below average' grade, though I believe 'average' is attainable. Both would be an improvement over last year's 'poor' showing.

Corners - I believe they'll benefit from increased pressure, better safety play and having options at slot corner - I think 'below average' (like last year) is reasonable, but 'average' is certainly possible.

So, my 'reasonable expectation' is that pass rush and safeties improve and corners/ILBs maintain the status quo from last year. My 'reasonable chance of happening' is improvement at corner/ILB and significant improvement at safety and pass rush. (even average play by the safeties would be a big improvement)

* not counting Gruden (scheme and play calling) - I think he proved enough in Cincy

** I chose pass rush as opposed to separating OLBs and Dline partially because I have no idea how the run D will go with the new emphasis on pass rush.

I don't believe their ranking system is that good especially when you rank Jason Peters as the elite player at his position. Peters never made the Pro Bowl last year. How can Joe Thomas, Duane Brown, Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Brandon Albert and Jordan Gross be High Quality or lower but make the Pro Bowl but the Elite player in Jason Peters be left out? Yeah say the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest but the fans know Peters is far from Elite. Another thing is how is Trent Cole an HQ LB but Ryan Kerrigan is only a good starter at that same position? Give me a break. He didn't even make the Pro Bowl either.

No doubt. Our secondary has holes and if we had better secondary there would be even higher expectations.

It's going to be interesting to see how all of these question marks pan out... and how we'll address those positions that don't [pan out] next offseason.

I don't believe their ranking system is that good especially when you rank Jason Peters as the elite player at his position. Peters never made the Pro Bowl last year. How can Joe Thomas, Duane Brown, Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Brandon Albert and Jordan Gross be High Quality or lower but make the Pro Bowl but the Elite player in Jason Peters be left out? Yeah say the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest but the fans know Peters is far from Elite. Another thing is how is Trent Cole an HQ LB but Ryan Kerrigan is only a good starter at that same position? Give me a break. He didn't even make the Pro Bowl either.

Peters is Elite. He might not have made the pro-bowl last year, but I don't put a lot of stock in the PB.  Williams, btw, is also Elite.  And the PFF justification for not making him Elite is that while he graded out as Elite, they want to see it again.  It's a stupid justification.  

The Trent Cole and Ryan Kerrigan argument holds more water. I think they are probably closer.  

It's going to be interesting to see how all of these question marks pan out... and how we'll address those positions that don't [pan out] next offseason.

Yeah, this is a very good point.  They couldn't fill every hole in the roster in 1 off-season. So they picked their places, and got a whole bunch of guys. But the good news is that they didn't over-pay for anybody, and they are not financially committed long term.  So as they see how Amerson, Thomas, Rambo develop, they can see where they need to spend resources.

Same on the OL.  After camp, they will be jettisoning a bunch of mid to low round OL draft picks.  It's inevitable.  They'll be able to see how quickly they think Moses and Long can get into the starting lineup.  And whether they need upgrades elsewhere.

I really like the off-season plan.  I might quibble with a player or two, but I like the fact they were frugal, made ST a point of emphasis, and got a bunch of hard working guys with a lot of athleticism. They tried to build the back half of the roster in 1 off-season, and then they'll start filling in holes as they go.  And next year they get their 1st round pick back. 

IMO we should've picked up a C after picking Long and Moses; the G's and T's seemed to have been depleted by our subsequent picks.  Or are most NFL centers converted guards?

Interesting that they've ranked Kory L as average when he's never started at centre before.

I disagree.  Kory played center for 2 years in college, and was drafted as the "fourth center overall" in 2008.  He was with Denver for 1 season as a backup to Casey Wiegmann a center who ended up starting for 12 seasons.  He was a backup center that season and filled in at guard (not an uncommon practice from what I know, but someone with more experience may be able to correct me there).  

When he came to DC Montgomery was playing at a pretty high level, so there was no need for another center.  He was an undersized guard, and all reports say he's added about 20 pounds and has played well at center.  Not sure why we should have waisted a draft pick on a player that we'd have to force in at center when Kory is, by all accounts, better fit for that position and has just about as much experience as anyone we would have drafted at that point.  

He's played the position in college, hasn't started at center in the NFL, but neither has any rookie coming out of school.  Plus, he's got NFL experience playing directly next to the center for the past 4 years.  If he was drafted as a center and never got the opportunity, he'll probably be fine.

The only one that really bothers me is Morris. No way will you convince me he is not ELITE.

That bothered me too, but after seeing the ratings for all the other RBs in the league, it's not so bad:

Elite:

Jamaal Charles (Kansas City)

Adrian Peterson (Minnesota)

LeSean McCoy (Philadelphia)

Marshawn Lynch (Seattle)

High Quality:

Matt Forte (Chicago)

DeMarco Murray (Dallas)

Joique Bell as HB2 (Detroit)

Eddie Lacy (Green Bay)

Pierre Thomas as HB2 (New Orleans)

Alfred Morris (Washington)

Good Starter:

Andre Ellington (Arizona)

CJ Spiller (Buffalo) and Fred Jackson as HB2 (Buffalo)

Jonathan Stewart as HB2 (Carolina)

Giovani Bernard as HB2 (Cincinnati)

Reggie Bush (Detroit)

Arian Foster (Houston)

Shane Vereen as HB2 (New England)

Darren Sproles as HB2 (Philadelphia)

Ryan Mathews (San Diego)

Frank Gore (San Francisco)

Doug Martin (Tampa Bay)

Average Starter:

Steven Jackson (Atlanta)

Ray Rice (Baltimore)

DeAngelo Williams (Carolina)

Ben Tate (Cleveland)

Montee Ball (Denver)

Trent Richardson (Indianapolis)

Toby Gerhart (Jacksonville)

Lamar Miller (Miami)

Stevan Ridley (New England)

Mark Ingram (New Orleans)

Rashad Jennings (New York Giants)

Chris Ivory as HB2 (New York Jets)

Maurice Jones-Drew (Oakland)

Le’Veon Bell (Pittsburgh)

Zac Stacy (St Louis)

Below Average Starter:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Cincinnati)

Chris Johnson (New York Jets)

Shonn Greene (Tennessee)

I listed every starter and then any of the HB2s that had a higher rank than the starters.  Everyone else was either ranked equally or below the starter.

Here's the link to all the teams' depth charts:

If you could have a rookie 1st rounder at any position (heading into this season), what would you want (which position)?

Either DL or FS.

Either DL or FS.

A dlineman, corner (to replace Hall in the near future), FS and ILB are close for me.

Perhaps the biggest upgrade to the roster would be a 1st rounder in place of Porter. I specify this because an outside corner would have some trouble unseating Hall/Amerson (and wouldn't play nickel).

You know what's tempting though? A LT. Put him over on the right and you've got your bookends (hopefully for years) as well as good insurance for Trent.

The only one that really bothers me is Morris. No way will you convince me he is not ELITE.

Morris will probably never be regarded as elite until he proves that he's a serious receiving threat out of the backfield. Hopefully Gruden and McVay watched his ProBowl tape ;)

Morris will probably never be regarded as elite until he proves that he's a serious receiving threat out of the backfield. Hopefully Gruden and McVay watched his ProBowl tape ;)

Yeah, if Marshawn Lynch is any indication (and Morris' rushing stats have been superior to almost all of Lynch's in the last couple years) then he doesn't even need to be a major feature in the passing offense (major = McCoy, Charles).  Around 28-36 receptions per season on average would do it.  

Peterson is Peterson, but that's about all he does, as far as receiving.

there have been plenty of superstar backs that werent big receiving threats.  honestly i think it has more to do with his draft position.  if he'd been a first round pick who racked up almost 2900 yards / 4.7 ypc / 20 TDs in his first two seasons, he'd be considered unquestionably elite and a perennial pro-bowler.  the "stink" of being a sixth round pick still affects peoples' opinion of him.

there have been plenty of superstar backs that werent big receiving threats.  honestly i think it has more to do with his draft position.  if he'd been a first round pick who racked up almost 2900 yards / 4.7 ypc / 20 TDs in his first two seasons, he'd be considered unquestionably elite and a perennial pro-bowler.  the "stink" of being a sixth round pick still affects peoples' opinion of him.

I agree with the notion that high draft picks are perceived to be "better" or more talented than late rounders. But I disagree with the thinking that late rounders don't get the recognition as well. They may not get the notoriety at first but once they put their talents on display, then people acknowledge that they probably should have been drafted a lot higher. History definitely gives us plenty of examples of late rounders/undrafted players who are regarded as the best or near the top at their respective positions, including running backs.

I agree with the notion that high draft picks are perceived to be "better" or more talented than late rounders. But I disagree with the thinking that late rounders don't get the recognition as well. They may not get the notoriety at first but once they put their talents on display, then people acknowledge that they probably should have been drafted a lot higher. History definitely gives us plenty of examples of late rounders/undrafted players who are regarded as the best or near the top at their respective positions, including running backs.

absolutely -- my point was it takes more than 2 years for a palyer's NFL contributions to overshadow their draft position.  some players inexplicably make entire careers purely out of draft position *cough* lavar arrington *cough*.

there have been plenty of superstar backs that werent big receiving threats. honestly i think it has more to do with his draft position. if he'd been a first round pick who racked up almost 2900 yards / 4.7 ypc / 20 TDs in his first two seasons, he'd be considered unquestionably elite and a perennial pro-bowler. the "stink" of being a sixth round pick still affects peoples' opinion of him.

I think that's a valid point. I think another reason for Morris' 'snub' is that he is (ok, was) a Shanahan back. This is faulty reasoning in my book. Just because Anderson, Gary, etc. had success does not mean they should be in the same conversation as Davis, Portis and Morris.

Some use scheme as an excuse, but that's a pretty weak point given that much of the league uses zone running. Besides, if zone running was so good that it allowed an ok back to look good, wouldn't everyone use it?

Bottom line (IMO), if Morris continues his success and has just a smidge of success/targets in the passing game, people will be forced to include him in the elite category.

I think that's a valid point. I think another reason for Morris' 'snub' is that he is (ok, was) a Shanahan back. This is faulty reasoning in my book. Just because Anderson, Gary, etc. had success does not mean they should be in the same conversation as Davis, Portis and Morris.

Some use scheme as an excuse, but that's a pretty weak point given that much of the league uses zone running. Besides, if zone running was so good that it allowed an ok back to look good, wouldn't everyone use it?

Bottom line (IMO), if Morris continues his success and has just a smidge of success/targets in the passing game, people will be forced to include him in the elite category.

i wouldn't make this argument, but i think one COULD make the argument that he is like Tony R0mo -- "elite" in terms of production and stats, but not actually elite in terms of ability. 

seems unjustifiably harsh grade for Meriweather who is a decent SS and has been to a Pro Bowl ...

Paulsen deserves better ... he is what he is and NFL teams start guys like him ... he's a decent blocker on a team that has racked up serious run yardage ... presumably he's had something to do with that considering we don't have an "elite" running back ... and he's shockingly decent as a receiver

Roberts ... below average ... seriously? as a #3 how on earth does he come off as below average?

no history on 'Steiger playing NFL center ... how do they know if he's average or not?

also can't see how Forbath is below average

so lesson learned is just because someone can get e-published doesn't mean they know anything

Think Meriweather grade is based (at least partly) on his play last year - which was pretty bad. But yeah, as a SS, 'poor' is pretty harsh.

Paulsen, as a #2 TE is solid. Average at worst IMO.

Roberts, again, I think they're mostly going off last year, which is I fair to him.

Ironically, my impression is that Porter played better last year, but they seem to be judging him more on prior stints.

Archived