Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look:PFF Redskins Depth Chart 2014

darrelgreenie

absolutely -- my point was it takes more than 2 years for a palyer's NFL contributions to overshadow their draft position. some players inexplicably make entire careers purely out of draft position *cough* lavar arrington *cough*.

You get a kudus for calling out ths underachieving loser.

I think that's a valid point. I think another reason for Morris' 'snub' is that he is (ok, was) a Shanahan back. This is faulty reasoning in my book. Just because Anderson, Gary, etc. had success does not mean they should be in the same conversation as Davis, Portis and Morris.

Some use scheme as an excuse, but that's a pretty weak point given that much of the league uses zone running. Besides, if zone running was so good that it allowed an ok back to look good, wouldn't everyone use it?

Bottom line (IMO), if Morris continues his success and has just a smidge of success/targets in the passing game, people will be forced to include him in the elite category.

I think playing on a consistent offense for a winning team is what is needed. While he personally had good stats last year, TE team was 3-13, and that hurts perception early in a career.

I think playing on a consistent offense for a winning team is what is needed. While he personally had good stats last year, TE team was 3-13, and that hurts perception early in a career.

True but to balance that in his rookie year he broke the franchise rushing record on a Division winning team that made the playoffs for the first time in ages. I think that great rookie year by Morris got lost a bit with the year that RGIII had as a rookie.

I actually think his ranking here is about right though.

DL, ILB, RG/RT, FS

We're pretty much on the same page. I left off RT/RG because we have some solid potential there (and I'm hopeful scheme makes a big difference) but yeah, a stud would absolutely help out there.

I am not sure why I left off center - many seem high on Lightensteiger, but he's mostly an unknown at this point (word that he projected as a C more than a G however many years ago doesn't necessarily mean much too me).

The good news is we can look at those positions and (mostly) say that at least we have potential (Baker, Robinson/etc., Long/LeRibeus/Gettis, Moses. I am leery of the FS depth, but it's probably better than what we had last year.

I have some degree of faith/optimism toward the guys listed above...Dline though (as much as I like Cofield, Hatcher and Baker)... how much faith can you really have in Jenkins, Nield, Golston, Bowen, Geathers, Worthington, etc.?

Tough to balance what position would help the most this year vs long term, and factoring in starters vs depth - particularly with the many unknowns (how the ILBs play, does Baker step up, does Bowen regain his 2011 form, does 1 of the guards step up, etc.).

Anyway, it's fantasy, but I thought it'd be an interesting way to look at the roster. I will say though that I'm excited we get a 1st round pick next year. :)

It is fantasy land since we didn't have a 1st round pick....but we did have a high 2nd round pick and one would think that same positions would carry over.....instead we took a back-up OLB and I'm supposed to be okay with that the same way I was supposed to be okay with Jarvis Jenkins.

i wouldn't make this argument, but i think one COULD make the argument that he is like Tony R0mo -- "elite" in terms of production and stats, but not actually elite in terms of ability. 

I think the clear difference, if someone were to take that stance, is that romoSUCKS has a habit of disappearing (or outright choking more often than not) in big games, while Morris' big games (the 2nd half of 2012) he got better.

It really reminds me of Cooley while he was here.  No fans outside of DC knew who Cooley was for the first 3-5 years of his career.  The media never paid attention to him and acted like he was only a talent because he was in Washington.  However, other coaches knew who he was and what impact he had on our offense.  

I think that's the mark of an elite player (not that Chris was ever "elite", but he was really good), if teams are specifically worried about you and game planning around stopping you, then I think you're "elite".  

The funny thing is, Marshawn Lynch gets about 1/10 of the attention from fans and the media that Russell Wilson gets, though Lynch is who drives that offense.  Stick a subpar back on that team, or if Lynch gets injured, and that offense is dead in the water, IMO.  I don't think it's going to be the same in DC this season, but last year, if Alfred got injured, we'd have gone nowhere, period.

It is fantasy land since we didn't have a 1st round pick....but we did have a high 2nd round pick and one would think that same positions would carry over.....instead we took a back-up OLB and I'm supposed to be okay with that the same way I was supposed to be okay with Jarvis Jenkins.

Haha, I know, I know. Couldn't help but think of you when putting DL as the top need...

It really reminds me of Cooley while he was here.  No fans outside of DC knew who Cooley was for the first 3-5 years of his career.  The media never paid attention to him and acted like he was only a talent because he was in Washington.  However, other coaches knew who he was and what impact he had on our offense.  

I think that's the mark of an elite player (not that Chris was ever "elite", but he was really good), if teams are specifically worried about you and game planning around stopping you, then I think you're "elite".  

The funny thing is, Marshawn Lynch gets about 1/10 of the attention from fans and the media that Marshawn Lynch gets, though Lynch is who drives that offense.  Stick a subpar back on that team, or if Lynch gets injured, and that offense is dead in the water, IMO.  I don't think it's going to be the same in DC this season, but last year, if Alfred got injured, we'd have gone nowhere, period.

I kindof agree with you. I love Cooley.  For the entire 2000's, he was probably my favorite 'Skins.  Chris Samuels was more talented, but Cooley was my favorite.

What hurt Cooley was a couple of things: 1) He didn't have elite speed, so after he bowled over a couple guys, he couldn't just truck it to the endzone for SportsCenter type highlights. 2) The offense (for the most part) ran through Portis, and apart from Moss, there was never another receiving option.  The combination of Portis, Moss and Cooley was ok.  But not really great. They desperately needed another WR to compliment Moss, which would have opened up the entire field, and Cooley would have been very dominating in the middle.   3) Teams could take him out of the game, primarily because he was one of the only threats on the team. 

You're 100% right about Lynch.  

I have high hopes for the upcoming season and have liked some of the off season moves from the Redskins but when I think back to last season I can't believe that Chester and Polumbus are still listed as the starting RG and RT going into training camp. I thought Chester would be released pretty quickly after the season and hoped that at best Polumbus would maybe be the swing tackle. I know that there is a lot of time for that to change and I sure hope it does by the start of the season. I sure hope one of the young guards on the roster stands out in the pre-season and I guess we will propably have to watch Polumbus at RT until Moses is ready.It baffles me how Haslett and Chester still have a job.   

According to Ryan Clark's instagram acount he and Brandon Meriweather and two other safties from different teams have been working out together in Arizona the past two weeks. I hope Clark can get Meriweather focused and playing smarter because that is his true weakness. He has alot of talent and Clark taking him under his wing is a very positive thing. He could have a very good season and that would be amazing for a Redskins safties..

Archived