Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @Edwerderespn (Ed Werder Twitter) - Cowboys LB Sean Lee has Torn ACL

CRobi21

Let's not step out of boundary here.  Are you suggesting I care about Aaron Hernandez?  Don't bring up players driving drunk and killing someone, that's stupid and everyone has made a stupid decision to drink and drive once or twice.  But what people don't think about doing accidentally, is accidentally blowing a dogs head off with a shotgun.  Accidentally electrocuting dogs.  Accidentally throwing beagles in cages with pitbulls to watch the terror.  That my friend takes very SICK individuals who will most likely continue on raping/murdering sprees when they step it up on the next crime.  Michael Vick didn't serve his time, he lost millions and made it right back jail or not.

Holy crap.  He threw beagles into cages with pitbulls?  I didn't know that.  What a sick, twisted ****.  Disgusting human being.

I agree.  The Cowboys probably would've been a 6-10 team last year if they played in another division.  The Cowboys are going to be in for a long season.  I just hope there aren't any good QBs in next year's draft because I won't be surprised if the Cowboys are picking in the top 5.  One would have to be pretty optimistic to think the Cowboys can get eight wins this season.

This goes for pretty much anybody in the East.   None of the teams in this division are all that good.

It's a top 5 offensive line and improving.

It's scary to think Tyron 23 - Leary 25 - Frederick 23 - Martin 23 .... All being on the same line for the next 5-10 years.

I will just mention that it will be very difficult for the Cowboys or any team for that matter to keep a good line together for that long.  Can't pay them all.

This goes for pretty much anybody in the East.   None of the teams in this division are all that good.

I think you guys are the worst off right now in the East.  Every team in the east has question marks, but the Cowboys look to be the worst off.  You guys are paper thin on defense.  You lost your most productive defensive players this offseason, so your defense looks to be worse than it was last year. 

I think the Redskins and Giants will be better than they were last year.  I'm not saying they will be world beaters, but I don't see the Cowboys sweeping them this season.  Romo is going to have to have a career year to make you guys competitive, which is a tall order for a 34 year old QB coming off of back surgery.  That is a possibility, but that's a lot of wishful thinking for Cowboy fans.

I think you guys are the worst off right now in the East.  Every team in the east has question marks, but the Cowboys look to be the worst off.  You guys are paper thin on defense.  You lost your most productive defensive players this offseason, so your defense looks to be worse than it was last year. 

I think the Redskins and Giants will be better than they were last year.  I'm not saying they will be world beaters, but I don't see the Cowboys sweeping them this season.  Romo is going to have to have a career year to make you guys competitive, which is a tall order for a 34 year old QB coming off of back surgery.  That is a possibility, but that's a lot of wishful thinking for Cowboy fans.

I think it depends on if the Cowboys decide to actually invest in the run game.   We have the talent in the OL to be very effective running the football on anybody.   The real question is, will we do that or will we continue to try and throw the ball 50 times a game?  

Defensively, the DL is better, if only because we are healthy.   LBs are a big question, I agree, but we can't really be worse then we were a year ago.  We were without Lee last year for a significant part of the season and we will be without him again.   We need Carter to step up and we need our Safeties to develop but both really should be better with another year in the scheme.   I am not worried about scoring points. 

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

As much as I hate Dallas, this sucks to hear. I've always had an appreciation for Lee. Helluva player and seems like a decent guy.

Can I ask why? There are plenty of guys in the league who have done far worse things than participate in dog fighting (i.e murder other human beings). I don't condone what he did, but he's been nothing but a stand up guy since re-entering the league. He served his time. I just don't understand the everlasting hate from some people.

Well, to be accurate, Vick did far more than merely "participate in dog fighting".

I think it depends on if the Cowboys decide to actually invest in the run game.   We have the talent in the OL to be very effective running the football on anybody.   The real question is, will we do that or will we continue to try and throw the ball 50 times a game?  

Defensively, the DL is better, if only because we are healthy.   LBs are a big question, I agree, but we can't really be worse then we were a year ago.  We were without Lee last year for a significant part of the season and we will be without him again.   We need Carter to step up and we need our Safeties to develop but both really should be better with another year in the scheme.   I am not worried about scoring points. 

How is your DL better?  Didn't Hatcher and DWare count for something like 50% of your total sacks last season?  I know you guys signed Melton, but he's coming off an ACL injury.

How is your DL better?  Didn't Hatcher and DWare count for something like 50% of your total sacks last season?  I know you guys signed Melton, but he's coming off an ACL injury.

We are not signing guys off the street to start for us for one.   In addition to Melton, we have also signed McClain, Mincey and Okoya, we drafted Lawrence, Gardner, Whaley and Bishop.   We get back Spencer, Bass, Crawford and Wilbur.  All of these guys will help in a rotation.   We can't replace DWare but hopefully, if we keep fresh players in and continue to rotate, we can make up some of that by simply having players who can play hard all the time.  

We are not signing guys off the street to start for us for one.   In addition to Melton, we have also signed McClain, Mincey and Okoya, we drafted Lawrence, Gardner, Whaley and Bishop.   We get back Spencer, Bass, Crawford and Wilbur.  All of these guys will help in a rotation.   We can't replace DWare but hopefully, if we keep fresh players in and continue to rotate, we can make up some of that by simply having players who can play hard all the time.  

Well, you may not get back Spencer until around Thanksgiving, if even then lol...

Remember when Phillip Daniels was lost for the season at the first practice of training camp?...He jumped over another DLineman (I think) who was on the ground and when he landed he tore his ACL. Then in the afternoon practice that same day, his backup was lost for the season as well.

Never a good feeling when a player is lost for the season...the NFL, players and fans, are a family. Hate to see someone have their careers threatened due to injury.

Goddamn right I remember it. We were there and it was a ****ty feeling. I hate to see that happen, even to a Dallass player.

I agree.  The Cowboys probably would've been a 6-10 team last year if they played in another division.  The Cowboys are going to be in for a long season.  I just hope there aren't any good QBs in next year's draft because I won't be surprised if the Cowboys are picking in the top 5.  One would have to be pretty optimistic to think the Cowboys can get eight wins this season.

With that said, if Dallas doesn't **** the bed, after being up huge on Detroit and Green Bay, they walk away with the East.

I will just mention that it will be very difficult for the Cowboys or any team for that matter to keep a good line together for that long.  Can't pay them all.

Keep in mind that Leary is working on a severely bad knee.  His rookie contract is likely to be all that he gets.  The other 3 should be there to help transition to the Romo successor. 

With that said, if Dallas doesn't **** the bed, after being up huge on Detroit and Green Bay, they walk away with the East.

But...they did.  Poor play calling given our ability to run...

Unless you have Seattle's D, investing in the running game is a tall order.  It's a passing league now.  The Cowboys are kind of backed into a corner; they would like to (and may work to a degree) run the ball I think, but don't have the defense to sustain that kind of attack. Maybe your D is better....but I do not see that at all. On the surface, they actually look significantly worse, if that is possible. You SHOULD worry about scoring points; I think you will need all you can get.  It may be a very tough year for the Cowboys, but again, we'll have to see how it all unfolds.

Unless you have Seattle's D, investing in the running game is a tall order.  It's a passing league now.  The Cowboys are kind of backed into a corner; they would like to (and may work to a degree) run the ball I think, but don't have the defense to sustain that kind of attack. Maybe your D is better....but I do not see that at all. On the surface, they actually look significantly worse, if that is possible. You SHOULD worry about scoring points; I think you will need all you can get.  It may be a very tough year for the Cowboys, but again, we'll have to see how it all unfolds.

The thing is, Riggo....we HAD leads in games.  A combination of our defense being unable to stop the opponents and our inability (lack of interest) to run the ball to run the clock out is what killed us. 

The thing is, Riggo....we HAD leads in games.  A combination of our defense being unable to stop the opponents and our inability (lack of interest) to run the ball to run the clock out is what killed us. 

Don't you see them drafting Zack Martin as a sign they want to run the ball more (I really really wanted you to take Johnny football, but no, JJ had to get some sense finally!)? Certainly the pass game is potent enough. From my perspective I saw it as Callahan winning the argument and getting a beefy lineman to help support the run better. He likes to run the ball and if you do so effectively it will take pressure off not only Tony but the D also.

Still not sure how you can lose DWare and Hatcher and have people say the Dline is improved. Also, even if you get Spencer back, you will be disappointed. He played very well in the 3-4 of Rob Ryan. He was always just average in the 4-3. Look at the numbers. Until 2011 he was very average, getting 5 or so sacks. He started getting better at the end of 2011 and then had his break out year in 2012, Ryans last. It was not an accident. Even though his size would indicate DE, he plays better standing up.

You signed a few guys but you still have others coming back from injury. Just not sue how that group gets better based on the off-season.

I just noticed Leon Lett is the Dline Assistant. Is he teaching them the slide fumble??  Sorry, admitted cheap shot! I just could not resist.

I was actually relieved when the Cowboys passed up on Manziel.  Right now they have nothing behind Romo who can be groomed for the future, unless they think Brandon Weeden can take over one day.  I'm not sure how Manziel will turn out.  He might end up sucking in Cleveland, but I think he would've done pretty good in Dallas.  I prefer seeing Dallas go through some years of QB hell after Romo, like the Quincy Carter days instead of being like Green Bay, where they drafted Aaron Rodgers to back up Favre.

Well, you may not get back Spencer until around Thanksgiving, if even then lol...

We may not and if that happens, that's OK.  If we are in it, then he will be a nice player to bring in and add energy at a time in the season where we will likely need it.   If not, then his contract is structured in such a way that he will not get paid a great deal of money and as such, his contract will be incidental.   Either way, there are enough guys in the rotation that it shouldn't really matter if they play at a high energy level. 

I was actually relieved when the Cowboys passed up on Manziel.  Right now they have nothing behind Romo who can be groomed for the future, unless they think Brandon Weeden can take over one day.  I'm not sure how Manziel will turn out.  He might end up sucking in Cleveland, but I think he would've done pretty good in Dallas.  I prefer seeing Dallas go through some years of QB hell after Romo, like the Quincy Carter days instead of being like Green Bay, where they drafted Aaron Rodgers to back up Favre.

I think the Cowboys are look at bringing a guy in in the next couple of years.   Romo's contract is such that you really can't start looking at replacing him until 2017 because of cap considerations so it's reasonable and perhaps even wise to wait.  Bringing in Manziel would have been a disaster in the making for Dallas.   There is no way that he would have waited for 3 years to play and you could not really sit Romo because of his contract.    The Cowboys will not be in a situation like Quincy Carter because they will not be cap strapped when it comes time to have to move on from Romo.   While it would have been nice to be in a position like Green Bay with AR, that is simply not realistic with Manziel.   He is not Rodgers and I would bet good money that he will not sit for three years and wait his turn.

I don't agree with this.   If you were trying to strictly run the ball as a good 70% off your offense, then OK, I might see that but that's not what the Cowboys are going to hopefully do.   I think the Cowboys could run the ball effectively and really slow down the pass rush.   That's the key.   You can't have Romo getting hit as much as he has in the past.   The key is to run effectively and balance the offense.   This Offensive Line should allow us to do that but we have to want to do it.   That's the key.   Romo is still one of the best passing QBs in the NFL.  If he's not trying to beat the blitz on every pass play and he's able to sit back and actually read the defense, he can have success.   If we throw the ball 50 times a game again this year, then teams are going to continue to Blitz and just disregard the run and Tony will have a short season. 

I think the Cowboys are look at bringing a guy in in the next couple of years.   Romo's contract is such that you really can't start looking at replacing him until 2017 because of cap considerations so it's reasonable and perhaps even wise to wait.  Bringing in Manziel would have been a disaster in the making for Dallas.   There is no way that he would have waited for 3 years to play and you could not really sit Romo because of his contract.    The Cowboys will not be in a situation like Quincy Carter because they will not be cap strapped when it comes time to have to move on from Romo.   While it would have been nice to be in a position like Green Bay with AR, that is simply not realistic with Manziel.   He is not Rodgers and I would bet good money that he will not sit for three years and wait his turn.

Do you really think Romo has 3 years left of high caliber play?  Most QBs begin fall off around his age and start moving towards retirement or backup duty.

The Redskins had leads too.  Heck, we had a lead against you guys in the 2nd game but blew it because of defense.  We had a lead against the Broncos and had the game under control until the wheels came off on our defense in the 2nd half.

Do you really think Romo has 3 years left of high caliber play?  Most QBs begin fall off around his age and start moving towards retirement or backup duty.

The Redskins had leads too.  Heck, we had a lead against you guys in the 2nd game but blew it because of defense.  We had a lead against the Broncos and had the game under control until the wheels came off on our defense in the 2nd half.

I think that depends on the Coaching Staff.   Romo is relatively young in terms of Football age because he did sit for a good 3.5 years.   If you protect him and if you don't rely on him to be the entire offense, then yeah, I think he can play for 3 seasons.   I think his Prime is behind him but I also think that he's coming into a phase of his career that will afford him the best OL he's ever had in his Pro career.   His days of scrambling all over the field and taking hits right before he pulls something out of his arse are over I think.  He can't do that too many more times.   He will have to play much more like he did when he started under Parcells and that might not be such a bad thing.  Can he do it?   That I don't know.   If he doesn't, then he may not last another 3 seasons.   If he learns to do that and play within the team scheme (assuming the team scheme is about team offense and not just Tony offense) then yeah.   There is a reasonable possibility that he could do that.

With regards to the Skins, I think you kinda suffer from the same kinds of things the Cowboys do.   Your offense is so dependent on RG3 that it hurts you a lot of the time.   It's great when it's rolling but it sucks out loud when it's not.  

Archived