Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I wish we had gotten that guy!" thread - 2014 Recap at end of thread.

Voice_of_Reason

Free Agent time!

Really, there is nothing to see here.  The guys who were hurt, have mostly returned, with 1 or two exceptions.  For the most part, the FAs are (so far) what we thought they were.

Alex Mack - (CB) Browns: Listed as starter
Darrell Revis - (CB) Pats: Listed as starter
Aquib Talib - (CB) Broncos: Listed as starter
Al Woods - (DT) Titans: Listed as a backup DE.
Vance Walker - (DT) Chiefs: Listed as a backup.
Antoine Bethea - (FS) 49ers: Had a concussion, but should be fine. 
Jairus Byrd - (FS) Saints: Had back surgery, but seems to be back at it. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/9065/game-changer-byrd-is-saints-new-shark
Chris Clemons - (FS) Texans: Will rotate, listed as backup, but will play a bunch. 
Mitchell - (FS) Steelers. Apparently got a minor leg injury against the Panthers, but should be ok. 
Brandon Spikes - (ILB) Bills: appears to be doing fine. 
Dekoda Watson - (ILB) Jags: Listed as a backup ILB.
Vincent Rey - (ILB) Bengals: Listed as backup ILB
Geoff Schwarts - (OG) Giants. Looks like he's out for half the season, but I can't tell (yet) whether they have decided to put him on some IR - designated to return list.  
Travelle Wharton - (OG) Panthers: Retired in the off-season. 
Willie Colon - (OG) Jets: Starter at RG
Donald Penn - (OT) Raiders: Listed as the starter at LT.  (I'm not sure how that's going to go for them...)
Tyson Clabo - (OT) Texans: Signed at some point with the Texans and is the backup RT.
Darren Sproles - (RB) Eagles: I'm sure he'll torch us for 1000 yards per game. 
Daniels - (TE) Ravens. Missed some time with an "unspecified leg injury" but is back and the backup TE. 
Ed Dickson - (TE) Panthers: Listed as the backup TE. 
Dennis Pitta - (TE) Ravnes: Listed as the starting TE. 
Andre Johnson - (WR) Texans: Catches every freaking thing you throw to him. 
Hakeem Nicks - (WR) Colts: Looks to be doing well, got motivated to play the Giants. 
Ted Ginn - (WR) Cards: Listed as backup WR. 

Updated: Ahmed Dixon cut.

So, what that means, of the players that folks threw out for the 7th round, which would have been picked instead of Hocker, 3 actually made NFL teams:

Jeff Janis

Michael Campanaro

Seantrel Henderson (who could be the steal of the draft if he ends up starting at LT for the Bills. Kudos to those who threw his name out before the draft.

4 failed to catch on:

Ahmed Dixon

Jeremy Gallon

Michael Sam

Yamin Smallwood

​I think that might be about right for the 7th round, about half of the 7th rounders don't actually make the teams, and it's a complete crap shoot as to which ones are going to, and which ones are not.

Skov was a player who a lot of folks really wanted in the draft day thread, went undrafted, and then cut by the 49ers.

It will be interesting to check these guys out mid-season, see if there are any that have turned into real good contributors. 

Thanks for those who put this list together it is interesting.. I liked Seantrel Henderson (and to be honest I would have liked him better than Mosses) but the big thing about him was the substance abuse history and I hope that is behind him but a ticking time bomb until those demons are buried. If he does i totally agree he could be an amazing steel for the next ten years.

Everyone else is pretty much what i thought they would be . Clemons was a mildly surprising cut, Robinson struggling is a little surprising, but then he was drafted to a team with no real need for him ...

Clemons is available because of a chain reaction.

Texans didn't re-sign Daniel Manning because they didn't want to pay him.

The Texans then sign Chris Clemons.

Manning signs with the Bengals but the Bengals cut him this weekend.

Texans want Manning back because now he's cheaper.

Texans cut Clemons to make room for Manning.

Reports out of training camp is that both S played well.

I wonder if we would have claimed Clemons if he was available before Duke.

Clemons is available because of a chain reaction.

Texans didn't re-sign Daniel Manning because they didn't want to pay him.

The Texans then sign Chris Clemons.

Manning signs with the Bengals but the Bengals cut him this weekend.

Texans want Manning back because now he's cheaper.

Texans cut Clemons to make room for Manning.

Reports out of training camp is that both S played well.

I wonder if we would have claimed Clemons if he was available before Duke.

Does clemons play ST? I know they signed Duke because he's a special teams stud and provides depth at SS. They've been targeting special teams like crazy this offseason. 

Does clemons play ST? I know they signed Duke because he's a special teams stud and provides depth at SS. They've been targeting special teams like crazy this offseason.

Not sure. How much better would the S group be if he signed Clemons and kept Duke?

We would go from Meriweather, Rambo, Doughty, Biggers to Clark, Duke, Clemons, Meriweather.

I know it won't happen though.

So basically, our FO did an outstanding job this offseason.

Meh, I wouldn't go quite that far. Look at Jernigan and Brooks.

Random shout out to VOR for doing yeomans work in here.

This year I got all bent out of shape over not taking player X (Bitonio) a position of need, when we take Y (Murphy) into a position of strength.  Spilled milk, but great to see how us home GMs did.

Yeoman (n.) an attendant in a noble household

Not sure. How much better would the S group be if he signed Clemons and kept Duke?

We would go from Meriweather, Rambo, Doughty, Biggers to Clark, Duke, Clemons, Meriweather.

I know it won't happen though.

Meh, I wouldn't go quite that far. Look at Jernigan and Brooks.

I'd hardly say missing two late rounders, while hitting on a couple of our late rounders and udfas,just average.

I'd hardly say missing two late rounders, while hitting on a couple of our late rounders and udfas,just average.

That isn't what I'm saying either. First of Jernigan and Brooks are not late rounders they are the counter parts to Murphy and Long. Both players are contributing at positions where our team and current defense are weak. Conversely Murphy and Long don't look to have the same level of contributions. I am not saying that Murphy and Long are busts or anything of the sort. Just that its a bit early to call the FO outstanding when right now the Murphy/Jernigan and Long/Brooks comparisons would lean heavily towards the Ravens favor.

Murphy, Breeland and Grant are winners. Love those picks.

Moses and Long are developmental but with great potential.

Add in Silas Redd and I'm thrilled. And if competition makes Cobra better, that pick wasn't wasted either.

Note: I rewatched all our preseason games and preferred Hocker by a mile. That miss in game 4 iced him, it seems.

Still think the FO nailed this.

How is Bitonio doing?

He's apparently the starter, but he did have to become a guard, so we would have crucified him on this board if he was drafted.

Not particularly good or bad. One dude who has been absolutely atrocious is xaivier suafilo. Kinda surprising.

Do you have a link? I haven't heard anything about Su'a-Filo. Maybe you mean Cyrus Kouandjio? His position coach called him Venus de Milo.

TE Colt Lyerla busted for drugs in Oregon 10 days after #Packers moved him ... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/lyerla08-b99346578z1-274274521.html …

That's probably his career.  UDFA from drug problems and team chemistry issues in college.  Tried to showboat in training camp and tore his knee up while doing so (and I believe also injuring the person he was going against).  Get's waived.  Get's caught for drugs...again.  For some reason, I doubt he's only on Phase 1 of the substance abuse program.  What team would bring him in?

http://sports.yahoo....23285--nfl.html

49ers release running back LaMichael James

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Running backLaMichael James was released by the San Francisco 49ers on Monday.

Coach Jim Harbaugh announced the move a day after his team's 28-17 win at Dallas. James has sought a greater role in the running game, but he had just two carries for no yards against the Cowboys on Sunday.

Harbaugh, who has an open-door policy with players, wouldn't talk about whether he met with the frustrated James, saying, ''We thought it was in the best interest of our team.'' The 49ers later re-signed wide receiver Kassim Osgood.

James was a second-round draft pick by the 49ers in 2012 out of Oregon. He also has handled return duties while playing in 15 regular-season games for San Francisco.

Would LaMichael James be a good pickup to help our special teams?

I'll tell you who I'd trade for now... Joseph Fauria from Detroit.

Kid is huge, fast and has knack for end zone. Detroit has Pettigrew and Ebron already.

I'm watching him play tonite and he has another speed, HUGE red zone target. I'd offer a fair deal for him.

Thoughts? Could be win-win for both sides

Archived