Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I wish we had gotten that guy!" thread - 2014 Recap at end of thread.

Voice_of_Reason

So just so I'm clear, a thread devoted to who people would rather have taken instead of who the team actually took does in no way send the message that we'd rather someone else then who we got.

The draft section of the OP is organized by who we could have taken at slots we took someone else.  People are posting that they would have taken player X over who we actually took.

Some examples:

Jared Abbrederis.

Race card, blah blah...but I truly think that if his pigmentation was darker, Abbederis would have been a 2nd round pick. I would have much preferred him to Ryan Grant.

Craig Loston or Ahmad Dixon instead of a frikin kicker in the 7th.

I wanted us to take Pierre Desir in the 4th instead of Breeland. However I'm just glad we at least addressed getting another CB. Also I was high on Gabe Jackson.

WR Michael Campanaro - I think this guy is a huge sleeper, better than Grant

Or are you referring to the second part of that first section where I may be "inaccurately assuming" that the players will recognize if they do well the feeling among the posters who wished for someone else will pass?

As for the second section, I state that it is my feeling that some people who post on ES would rather be right and the Skins fail rather than the Skins succeed and they admit they were wrong.  I point out that is the feeling I get; I don't mention any names or specific examples, just that it is a feeling I have.  Or is it an "inaccurate assumption" that I possess feelings?

....So ever year in FA and the draft, we all develop man-crushes on certain players, and then they either sign somewhere else or get drafted elsewhere. This is especially true in the draft, where folks fall in love with a guy, he's sitting there to be picked, we pick somebody else, and the sky falls.

This generally leads to comparisons of the intellectual capacity of our FO and a gnat with a learning disability. Sometimes this turns out to be accurate, sometimes less so.

But we generally lose track of all of those thoughts over time, so I thought I would provide this thread as a service to track the folks we didn't get. Darrellgreenie suggested it in the FA thread, and I thought it was a good idea.

^^^^From the OP.

Simple concept.

You can feel however you like and the inaccurate assumptions weren't just from your post.

But understand the concept of the thread before jumping on the soapbox.

I will admit I also was intrigued with Josh Gordon.  If we were able to trade Cousins and a late round pick or something, I was all for it. I think most of us give the individual the benefit of the doubt thinking wise.  How does one think when he goes OFF his 1st season, primed to become a multi millionaire, and be dumb about it?  His latest event as well getting pulled over mixed into that.  Josh Gordon fooled me.

If it helps, Josh Gordon over DeSean Jackson ANY day of the week.

But it's all moot now and we roll with what we have.

Hail.

Maybe.  I kindof like 2 things about D. Jackson:

1. We didn't have to give up anything to get him. I'm not sure that Josh Gordon + 2nd or 3rd round pick = D. Jackson.

2. We simultaneously hurt a division rival while helping ourselves.  

And isn't he suspended for the year? I think that was confirmed.

Look, the one concern that I did have about this thread is that it would turn into a piling on session.  That wasn't the intent. 

Epochalypse, my issue with your posts is that it really is a call out to a number of folks, and then you went ahead and specifically called them out. It's a little piling on.  

Your point is well taken that there were some folks who wanted Josh Gordon, but ultimately, his fate for 2014 was sealed before this thread was created. So I didn't really feel the need to put him in there, since we already know the outcome. 

It's supposed to be a fun place to throw up the guys who we really wanted, and then what happened. And laugh at ourselves when we're completely wrong and our 7th round man-crush ends up bagging groceries, and pat ourselves on the back when our 6th round man crush, which we passed over, becomes an all-star for another team.

Same thing for me about Burfict, Lyerla might be next on line.

I'm still upset we didn't draft Peyton Manning.  :)

If it helps, Josh Gordon over DeSean Jackson ANY day of the week.

But it's all moot now and we roll with what we have.

Hail.

Me too! That guy Josh Gordon sure knows where to get that sticky-icky. Puff puff give. Oh you said roll with what we have not roll what we have. My bad.

VoR, it was not my intention to call anyone out but when you said that Gordon wasn't an offseason target I felt the need to provide evidence that for some on here he was.  The only way I saw to do so was to show quotes from posters to reflect that.  Then when darrelgreenie said my post contained inaccurate assumptions (which he has yet to show any logical argument as to what they were other than to have me re-read the OP I completely understood the first time I read it) I again went to quotes to argue my position.  I don't think showing what people have posted on a public forum is in any way going to cause them to their jobs or prevent their significant others from making sweet love with them.

My problem as I mentioned is that the overall theme of this thread to our new additions is "Welcome to the Redskins, here is an extensive list of all the people we would rather have on our team than you."  Now not everyone has written their posts in that way.  For example, posts that say "I really liked X coming out of college, I'm interested in seeing how he does" is a positive post.  But posts such as "We should have taken X over Redskins draftee/FA" or "here is how I would have drafted" imply that the person is not rooting for the Redskins draftee/FA.  I had my favorites leading up to the draft as well, but once the Redskins drafted and we got who we got, those are who I want to see succeed over anyone else in the draft.

I imagine it would be like getting married and immediately after the wedding all your significant others' family and friends start posting on facebook all the people they wish your significant other had married instead of you to see which turns out to be more successful.  I would hate to think the first impression we give to our newcomers is we wanted someone else.

I don't believe a single person on here posted maliciously but I did want to say that is the message this thread gives based on the way SOME of the posters phrased their posts, again not maliciously.  I hope that represents my position clearly enough and if anyone wants to take this to PMs or otherwise I am more than happy to continue this discussion in a respectful and productive manner.

Then when darrelgreenie said my post contained inaccurate assumptions (which he has yet to show any logical argument as to what they were other than to have me re-read the OP I completely understood the first time I read it)

And to be clear, you know I was refering to more then just your post when I made my statement about inaccurate assumptions. And I thought a look at the OP would suffice to point out the difference between your views and this thread.

My problem as I mentioned is that the overall theme of this thread to our new additions is "Welcome to the Redskins, here is an extensive list of all the people we would rather have on our team than you."  Now not everyone has written their posts in that way.  For example, posts that say "I really liked X coming out of college, I'm interested in seeing how he does" is a positive post.  But posts such as "We should have taken X over Redskins draftee/FA" or "here is how I would have drafted" imply that the person is not rooting for the Redskins draftee/FA.  I had my favorites leading up to the draft as well, but once the Redskins drafted and we got who we got, those are who I want to see succeed over anyone else in the draft.

And here you have done a nice job of outlining/re-stating your false assumption. You wrongly assume that the people posting in this thread are different from you. They are not. They ALL want our draft picks to succeed over anyone else in the draft just like you.

This is not a 'Welcome to the Redskins' there are other threads for that. This thread is a archive of the different draftees and FA that ES wanted without the benefit of hindsight. It will be used to look back and see how right or wrong we may have been.

Your feelings about the thread don't accurately reflect the intentions of the OP nor most of the people posting in this thread.

And to be clear, you know I was refering to more then just your post when I made my statement about inaccurate assumptions. And I thought a look at the OP would suffice to point out the difference between your views and this thread.

And here you have done a nice job of outlining/re-stating your false assumption. You wrongly assume that the people posting in this thread are different from you. They are not. They ALL want our draft picks to succeed over anyone else in the draft just like you.

This is not a 'Welcome to the Redskins' there are other threads for that. This thread is a archive of the different draftees and FA that ES wanted without the benefit of hindsight. It will be used to look back and see how right or wrong we may have been.

Your feelings about the thread don't accurately reflect the intentions of the OP nor most of the people posting in this thread.

I find it ironic that the person questioning my comprehension and accusing me of making assumptions is the one showing difficulty with comprehension and requiring and doing most of the assuming.

The only assumption in my last post is where I assume that everyone posting here is not doing so maliciously.  I explicitly state that but you fail to mention that.  In fact even though I explicitly say it is not their intention, you disregard that and try to tell me what everyone else's intention is.

You are assuming I am sitting here thinking that everyone thinks differently than me.  You are assuming that everyone wants our draft picks to succeed.

You are relying on everyone assuming that you support the players that have been drafted but your posts up until this last one where you explicitly state that do not mention that.

In post #8 you mention that the Hatcher signing was your favorite, but then say who you would rather have taken over him.

In post #37 you outline how you would have drafted and only two of the Redskins draft choices made your list.  In other words, if you were drafting you would not have taken any of the others.  Please explain how I'm supposed to know (since I don't want to assume) that you support our players when had you been given the chance you would not take them?

What your post does say is that if you had been making the selections you would not have drafted any of our draft picks with the exception of Morgan Moses and Lache Seastrunk.

I get it, I assume you are putting up such a fight because you don't want people to think you aren't rooting for the new guys, but to act like that's not the message being sent by you doesn't match that, no matter how much you want me to read the OP.

I find it ironic that the person questioning my comprehension and accusing me of making assumptions is the one showing difficulty with comprehension and requiring and doing most of the assuming.

Um yeah, sure.

The only assumption in my last post

False. It's not the only assumption. We'll get back to this.

The only assumption in my last post is where I assume that everyone posting here is not doing so maliciously.  I explicitly state that but you fail to mention that.  In fact even though I explicitly say it is not their intention, you disregard that and try to tell me what everyone else's intention is.

Yes. I disregard that because whether or not you view posts being phrased 'maliciously' isn't my issue.

You are assuming I am sitting here thinking that everyone thinks differently than me.  You are assuming that everyone wants our draft picks to succeed.

Yes. I am assuming the above because your posts clearly imply that YOU think posting prefernce of another prospect then who we drafedt somehow equate to showing a lack of support for our draft picks.

You are relying on everyone assuming that you support the players that have been drafted but your posts up until this last one where you explicitly state that do not mention that.

Yes. The assumption that I support the players that have been drafted goes without saying because hello, this is a Redskins forum and we are all Redskins fans. Its 'a priori' if you will, that we support the team and support our draft picks.

In post #8 you mention that the Hatcher signing was your favorite, but then say who you would rather have taken over him.

And your point here is............?

Yes, Hatcher is my favorite signing, i support him and I'm gonna root like hell for him. He was on the short short list of DE that I wanted. I have raved about what he will bring to the defense, in detail. And yes, at the same time also state that he wasn't my top choice because of his age and salary.

The 2 statements are not mutually exclusive. Which seems to be the point you struggle with.

In post #37 you outline how you would have drafted and only two of the Redskins draft choices made your list.  In other words, if you were drafting you would not have taken any of the others.  Please explain how I'm supposed to know (since I don't want to assume) that you support our players when had you been given the chance you would not take them?

Why would you ASSUME that I don't support our players? This is further illistration that your underlying assumption is false. You assume that because I would have made different choices that I don't support the choices that were made. That couldn't be further from the truth. Because like everyone in this thread, I am a Redskins fan.

I get it, I assume you are putting up such a fight because you don't want people to think you aren't rooting for the new guys, but to act like that's not the message being sent by you doesn't match that, no matter how much you want me to read the OP

Your assumption here, bolded in red, would be as false as your previous assumptions. Lol, I am not 'putting up such a fight' I am calling your assumptions false because they are false. No one in this thread has to convince anyone that they are rooting for our draft picks. We are all Redskins fans here. Everyone supports and roots for our draft picks because we are Redskins fans.

TLDR:

Listen.

Everyone in this thread starting with the OP will root for and support our draft picks. That goes without saying because we are Redskins fans. Having a preference for another prospect does not in anyway change that. If you think otherwise, you are making a false assumption. That is all.

I've stated it as clearly as I can.

-Cheers

"I support you but I wouldn't have picked you for my team" - darrelgreenie

Simple question, how is this not what you are saying?

Lol, if you need to phrase it with a negative spin then yes that is what I'm saying.

For example from my previous post:

Yes, Hatcher is my favorite signing, i support him and I'm gonna root like hell for him. He was on the short short list of DE that I wanted. I have raved about what he will bring to the defense, in detail. And yes, at the same time also state that he wasn't my top choice because of his age and salary.

The 2 statements are not mutually exclusive. Which seems to be the point you struggle with.

Who are your 2 favorite women in hollywood?

Lets say both are willing to marry me ;)

If I choose 1 does that mean I don't like the other?

Can you choose 1 and still like the other?

Lol, if you need to phrase it with a negative spin then yes that is what I'm saying.

For example from my previous post:

Who are your 2 favorite women in hollywood?

Lets say both are willing to marry me ;)

If I choose 1 does that mean I don't like the other?

Can you choose 1 and still like the other?

So does that mean you at least agree there is a negative spin that can be drawn from it?  That has been my entire point.  Unintentionally, it is a poor message from the fan base to say you would rather the team had chosen someone else.

As to your scenario, you can choose one woman and still like the other.

My point is how do you think that is going to make the one you didn't choose feel?

I'm guessing the answer isn't "supported"

It's supposed to be a fun place to throw up the guys who we really wanted, and then what happened. And laugh at ourselves when we're completely wrong and our 7th round man-crush ends up bagging groceries, and pat ourselves on the back when our 6th round man crush, which we passed over, becomes an all-star for another team.

That's what I assumed it would be...

I meant to get to this yesterday---Epoc and DG---please cease discussing the thread

And please no "rebuttals" or replies to this post---there's no "penalty" of any kind being applied, and it's not an invite to anyone to apologize or justify/explain or simply opine upon. 

Just go back to talking football per the OP, as challenging as it may be :P or find other conversations. 

• 3 weeks later...

OP has been updated with the following information coming from the completion of the off-season programs by all teams:

Update #2:

I did a quick scan through 2 sources since Mini-Camps are wrapping up to see if there was anything glaring out there. The first is the transaction report from ESPN. The second is Rotowire's injury updates.

- It's not a guy the 'Skins could get, but since we are playing the Texans the first game of the season, I guess it's worth mentioning that Clowney had Hernia Surgery, and is hoping to be ready for the opener.

- Byrd Update is below. Updates seem to be consistent, and he'll be ready for Training Camp.

- I didn't see any other significant movement of players on this list, but I'll be honest, I didn't check out every one of the undrafted or 7th round guys.

So, no real news overall. But, I thought I would throw this out there because I guess no news is actually some news?

This is the last update I'm going to do until Training Camp, when I expect that there will be a lot more movement, especially from the lower round draft guys and the undreafted guys. A team isn't going to cut a draft pick BEFORE training camp, so I was really looking for mini-camp injuries.

Also, there will be some injuries to track, I'm sure.

The Steelers' d-line coach seems to be in love with Stephon Tuitt. Just sayin'.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/6/7/5788734/mitchell-i-think-tuitt-is-a-young-aaron-smith

The uncharacteristic compliments continue.

After the Steelers drafted defensive end Stephon Tuitt out of Notre Dame in the second round of the 2014 NFL draft, both John Mitchell and defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau gave compliments to Tuitt that most rookie defensive lineman don't receive right after the Steelers draft them. The lofty expectations for Tuitt only worsened when Mitchell was asked by Mike Prisuta of Steelers.com of who he'd compare Tuitt to.

I think he's a young Aaron Smith, probably a little better speed. From the lower body down he's strong. He can run. He has long arms. He can knock down a lot of passes. This guy in shape in the right frame of mind is a heck of a football player.

I'm going to try and keep this thread on topic: Updates about players who fans wanted the 'Skins to target this off-season in either the draft or FA.

I was just trying to look up updates on Pierre Desir (available at pick 102, (CB) Browns pick group 102) but there's nothing.  That could be good news for him, or really bad news.  Of course, it could also mean that we have far better (meaning more in depth) media coverage than the Browns and most other teams (thank you John Keim).

He was a guy I wanted in the draft, but I really liked Breeland (who we picked at 102 instead) and I love his physicality.  He holds a bit too much for my taste, but I guess that just means the Seahawks wanted him really bad.

Not to mention, Breeland sounds like a steal from OTA and minicamp updates, since his speed isn't a problem at all, according to reports.

The Steelers' d-line coach seems to be in love with Stephon Tuitt. Just sayin'.http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/6/7/5788734/mitchell-i-think-tuitt-is-a-young-aaron-smith

Tuitt was a good prospect. The tough thing about evaluating him in terms of value is that he was available at 34, but he wasn't available when the 'Skins picked after they traded down. The question really is going to be is he worth Murphy and Long.

And I think the answer to that is not going to be known for 2-3 seasons, because it's unlikely that Murphy is going to contribute too much this year, and Long might/might not start this year, but should contend for a starting job next year.

I was just trying to look up updates on Pierre Desir (available at pick 102, (CB) Browns pick group 102) but there's nothing.  That could be good news for him, or really bad news.  Of course, it could also mean that we have far better (meaning more in depth) media coverage than the Browns and most other teams (thank you John Keim).

He was a guy I wanted in the draft, but I really liked Breeland (who we picked at 102 instead) and I love his physicality.  He holds a bit too much for my taste, but I guess that just means the Seahawks wanted him really bad.

Not to mention, Breeland sounds like a steal from OTA and minicamp updates, since his speed isn't a problem at all, according to reports.

I don't think that there is a lot of coverage around the league on guys later in the draft. We'll probably hear more about him in TC.

• 1 month later...

Updates for all of the draft-picks that I could find so far.  There are a few guys on this list on the PUP list. A few guys who are not doing as hot as hoped, and a couple who are performing well.

Hope this keeps everybody happy. :)

I'll do FAs next, maybe in the next couple days.  

I'll try and go through the same drill after the first round of pre-season games.

Cyrus Kouandjio - (OT) Bills Pick Group 34 http://fansided.com/2014/07/27/cyrus-kouandjio-struggling-bills-training-camp/#!bpiNOZ Struggling at Camp 
DeMarcus Lawrence - (OLB) Cowboys Pick Group 34 http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4730696/three-thoughts-on-day-5-of-cowboys-camp?ex_cid=espnapi_public ESPN Blog, seems like he's doing well. (Look at #3)
Joel Bitonio - (OT) Browns Pick Group 34 - No real news, looks like he might start at guard
Jordan Matthews - (WR) Eagles Pick Group 34 - Progressing.  The big news apparently is that he decided to wear gloves after dropping a couple balls. 
Marqise Lee - (WR) Jags Pick Group 34 http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/23/marqise-lee-allen-robinson-say-theyre-healthy-for-camp/ Looks like he had an ankle, but will be ready to go for camp. 
Rashede Hageman - (DE) Falcons Pick Group 34 - No news.  He likes facebook. 
Stephon Tuitt - (DT) Steelers Pick Group 34 - No News. 

Available at pick 47
Jace Amaro - (TE) Jets Pick Group 47 http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/40881/jace-amaro-hurts-knee-in-practice - Hurt his knee in practice yesterday. Was heavily wrapped. 
Timmy Jernigan - (NT) Ravens Pick Group 47 - No real news, seems to be doing well. 
Troy Nicklas - (TE) Cardinals Pick Group 47 http://arizonasports.com/40/1753720/Arizona-Cardinals-TE-Troy-Niklas-forced-to-play-catchup It sounds like he's already broken a hand and had hernia, or something like that.  Playing catch-up. 

Available at pick 78
Bill Turner - (OG) Dolphins Pick Group 78 - No news that I could find. 
Gabe Jackson - (OG) Raiders Pick Group 78 No real news. 
Louis Nix - (NT) Texans Pick Group 78 http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/21/texans-place-brian-cushing-louis-nix-iii-trevardo-williams-on-pup-list/ On PUP list.  Undisclosed issue. "He's got something wrong with him, not sure what it is." is the quote from the coach. 
Terrence Brooks - (FS) Ravens Pick Group 78. Not really Terrence Brooks related, but the Ravens signed suspended Will Hill, formerly of the Giants, at the same position. Shrug.

Available at pick 102
Ka'Deem Carey - (RB) Bears Pick Group 102 - No news. 
Martavis Bryant - (WR) Steelers Pick Group 102 http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-news-times-schedule-tickets-updates/2014/7/27/5942551/steelers-injury-report-training-camp-martavis-bryant-status Might be injured, it doesn't seem to be clear. Was injured in mini-camp. 
Pierre Desir - (CB) Browns Pick Group 102 - No news

Available at pick 142
Avery Williamson - (ILB) Titans Pick Group 142  No News
Chris Smith - (OLB) Jags Pick Group 142 http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/132843/jaguars-camp-report-day-3 Impressing at Jags camp. 
Cyril Richardson - (OG) Bills Pick Group 142 http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=417254 He's moved up to second string, though apparently hasn't shined.  
David Yankey - (OG) Vikings Pick Group 142 http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/7/28/5946383/david-yankey-adjusts-to-life-in-the-nfl Apparently he's the sleeper pick of the class, and might challenge for a starting job.  Though hasn't done so yet. 
John Urschel - (OG) Ravens Pick Group 142 No News

Available at pick 186
Daniel McCullers - (DT) Steelers Pick Group 186 - According to sources, on the roster bubble.  In last practice, he apparently blew somebody up, then got blown up. 

Available at pick 217
Ahmad Dixon - (S) Cowboys Pick Group 217 - No News
Jeff Janis - (WR) Packers Pick Group 217 - Apparently he's sick. Today was the first practice he attended, but didn't participate. 
Jeremy Gallon - (WR) Pats Pick Group 217 - Placed on the PUP list.  
Michael Campanaro - (WR) Ravens Pick Group 217 - http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-rookie-michael-campanaro-adjusting-to-press-coverage-20140728,0,3749330.story Adjusting to life in the NFL.  Quiet start to camp. 
Michael Sam - (DE) Rams Pick Group 217 (I was amazingly able to find one mention of Michael Sam that did not involve his sexual orientation.  The fact that there was 1 was good.  The fact that I had to search through all of the other stuff really ticked me off.  (falling off soap-box.) http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/rams-report-rookie-michael-sam-has-a-strong-practice/article_9412a749-8b80-5d81-9363-4b94c9493e20.html Apparently he had a strong practice in 11-11.  That's about all I could find about him as a football player. 
Seantrel Henderson - (OT) Bills Pick Group 217 - http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/07/sammy_watkins_seantrel_henderson.html One of the more impressive rookies at Bills Camp. 
Yamin Smallwood - () Pick Group 217 Got one throw away line saying "he didn't stand out" in camp. 

Alex Bazzie - () Pick Group Undrafted - Playing football in Canada. 

Brandon Coleman - (WR) Saints Pick Group Undrafted - No News
Christian Jones - (LB) Bears Pick Group Undrafted - Apparently he's impressing 
Craig Loston - (S) Pick Group Undrafted - Signed with the Jags, no other news. 
James Hurst - (OT) Ravens Pick Group Undrafted - Apparently not doing all that well so far.  He's not in the mix for the RT spot, and isn't fairing very well as the backup LT. (From Press Box Online.  Not linking the article because it's almost a throw-away line.)
Shane Skov - (LB) 49ers Pick Group Undrafted - Harbaugh said that he looks good so far. Again, one throw-away line, this time from ESPN.

Louis Nix - (NT) Texans Pick Group 78 http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/21/texans-place-brian-cushing-louis-nix-iii-trevardo-williams-on-pup-list/ On PUP list.  Undisclosed issue. "He's got something wrong with him, not sure what it is." is the quote from the coach. 

sorry to see this but this guy along with clowney and watt were my worry for game one..

Archived