Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I wish we had gotten that guy!" thread - 2014 Recap at end of thread.

Voice_of_Reason

All, a reminder: I put this thread together for one reason: to specifically track individual players, either draftees or FAs that for whatever reason the 'Skins did not get.

This is not the forum for general snippiness against the 'Skins, or for that matter, full throated defense of the FO. There are other places for this.

For the time being, please limit comments to specific players you wanted to see, why, and what team they went to. If there is enough interest in that player, we'll track them and see how they did.

Later on in the season, if we find out that dude X who was drafted 4 spots after the 'Skins pick turned out to be a stud, the person who requested that player tracked can say a big "I told you so." And for the players that people fell in love with who don't even make a team, we can laugh at them. :(

Thanks for everybody's cooperation!

Too bad there were so many other more pressing needs I guess?

Whats harder to find? a good 3-4 DL or anything not a QB?

Guys that would look good in a skins uniform....

Stephen Tuitt DE ND 2.14

Louis Nix NT ND 3.19

Brent Urban DE Virginia 4.34

Ed Stinson DE Bama 5.20

Daniel McCullers NT Tenn 6.39

Theres others, but these guys jumped out at me

Whats harder to find? a good 3-4 DL or anything not a QB?

Guys that would look good in a skins uniform....

Stephen Tuitt DE ND 2.14

Louis Nix NT ND 3.19

Brent Urban DE Virginia 4.34

Ed Stinson DE Bama 5.20

Daniel McCullers NT Tenn 6.39

Theres others, but these guys jumped out at me

Can you check the OP, and see if those guys are already listed? If not, add their NFL team, and when they would have been available to the 'Skins, and I'll update the OP.

I'm pretty sure Tuitt, Nix, and Urban are already accounted for, and Stinson and McCullers might already be in the OP as players we're going to track next year to see how they do... 

Can you check the OP, and see if those guys are already listed? If not, add their NFL team, and when they would have been available to the 'Skins, and I'll update the OP.

I'm pretty sure Tuitt, Nix, and Urban are already accounted for, and Stinson and McCullers might already be in the OP as players we're going to track next year to see how they do... 

Urban and Stinson were not listed

Urban 134 Ravens

Stinson 120 Cardinals

I just want to mention I'm still extremely sour about the honey badger last year.  That chapped me pretty good when we passed on him injury or not.

Same thing for me about Burfict, Lyerla might be next on line.

I really wanted WR James Jones but it turned out to be a blessing because they ended up signing a much better receiver later (DJax).

I was hoping for one of the Kansas City guards but for some unknown reason they over paid for David Lauvao instead, I'm not sure who they were bidding against that they had to pay him 4mil a year. I hope I'm wrong though and he turns into a mauler.

Was really hoping for FS Chris Clemmons and feel he would have been a better option than Ryan Clark, plus the Texans got him really cheap. I'm guessing they are counting on Clark to also help fill the veteran leader role that they have lost since Fletcher retired. 

Not every need can be addressed but I wish a veteran TE like John Carlson or Ed Dickson would have been brought in to push Paulson and Paul.

I have my fingers crossed that Tracey Porter can finally stay healthy for a full season. He is the Redskins highest paid CB this year and I'm not sure that was a wise move. I would have rather had Walter Thurmond but maybe he wasn't interested in playing here. I like that they resigned Biggers though and think before all is said and done he will be the third corner or maybe Breeland beats them both out.

Some other players I liked were Arthur Jones, Dekota Watson, Antoine Bethea, Daryl Smith, Karlos Dansby, Eben Britton & Anthony Collins. Dansby, & Collins were both overpaid by alot so I'm not that disapointed in not getting them.

I am in no way critisizing the front office for who they signed or didn't sign though. They are alot smarter than me and know the needs of the team alot better than me, I'm just a guy on a computer living paycheck to paycheck.

Obviously I meant  Hageman or Bitonio, not "of" with pick #34. 

Also I think Antone Exum is gonna be a stud, so I would've loved to get him in the sixth, he can play CB or S. 

My ideal draft (all original position)

Hageman

Moses

Breeland (Or Desir/McGill)

Grant (Or C. Richardson/Yankey)

Antone Exum

Bolser (Or Smallwood/Skov or assuming no Grant in the 5th Janis/Campanero)

No ragrets (hah) but in all seriousness I think Hageman will be as good as or better than Calais Campbell, and Exum is going to be a baller in the secondary (at CB or S, he is a playmaker and can cover really well). 

I wouldve loved us picking up Jarius Byrd in FA. I was also of fan of Desir in the draft.

2 Bitonio

2 Mewhort

4 Bryant or Huff

5 Andrew Jackson

7 Ben Gardner

UDFAs: Skov, Marcus Roberson, Lyerla, Coleman, Purifoy, Steen.

That would be my Draft...2nd- RT-Joel Bitonio3rd- C-Marcus Martin4th- CB-Pierre Desir5th- G-David Yankey6th- RB-Lache Seastrunk7th- S-Ahmad Dixon7th- CB-Loucheiz Purifoy

Obviously I meant  Hageman or Bitonio, not "of" with pick #34. 

Also I think Antone Exum is gonna be a stud, so I would've loved to get him in the sixth, he can play CB or S. 

My ideal draft (all original position)

Hageman

Moses

Breeland (Or Desir/McGill)

Grant (Or C. Richardson/Yankey)

Antone Exum

Bolser (Or Smallwood/Skov or assuming no Grant in the 5th Janis/Campanero)

No ragrets (hah) but in all seriousness I think Hageman will be as good as or better than Calais Campbell, and Exum is going to be a baller in the secondary (at CB or S, he is a playmaker and can cover really well).

Guys, could you pease do me a favor, if you want any of these guys tracked, please take a look at the OP, make sure they are not already there, and then provide the information I've listed in the OP for each player. (What round they would have been available in, their team, etc.))

I'm just letting this go for a while, I'll update the OP when I have critical mass of new players.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Where are the people who wanted us to trade for Josh Gordon?

I'm going to try and keep this thread on topic: Updates about players who fans wanted the 'Skins to target this off-season in either the draft or FA.

So far, apart from generating a long list, the Byrd surgery is the only notable piece of news I've seen.

I imagine that we'll get more activity when training camps open up. Some of the lower round guys who were being touted as a whole lot better than the guys we got will not make teams, and that's going to make for some interesting conversations. :)

But please refrain from bringing up players that were not part of this off-season targets.

we could go on all day about who the Skins coulda/woulda/shoulda drafted. I choose not to engage in that after the draft because we have who we have. But even before the draft, it is really hard for us to know about the draft process because of the factors we have no control over.

For instance some of you wanted Nix. (just an example)  You never had the opportunity to interview him or investigate him and find out that he has some sort of "secret" in his past. All you know is his YOUTUBE highlights. Maybe this guy or that guy has made statements about quitting football after 5 years and going off to smoke dope.....like Ricky Williams did.

Maybe the Skins did not sign T.J. Ward at safety this year because they knew he had an alcohol problem. Most of us would not have a clue until we read it on a website AFTER the fact and AFTER the arrest....at which point some of you would be yelling for Allen to be fired because he shoulda/woulda/coulda known.

My view is I love to speculate just like the rest of you, but I am not getting vested in any player or draft pick or free agent until they become a Redskin, especially now that Bruce Allen has shown me that he does his research and is heads and tails above most of the administrators in the NFL. He is conservative, like his father, but with a flair for the spectacular. I Love him being in charge and I am so far very very happy with his management skills and decision making.

With that said...I love this draft for what it is worth. Possible starters on every level. Not this year. But down the road and that is all you should expect in any draft because rookies rarely make a difference in YEAR ONE except for 3 or 4 in the WHOLE NFL. Impact players, Pro Bowl players....90 percent of them are veterans.

But as of today, I am thrilled with the Skins Rookie class and looking forward to their contributions.

I'm going to try and keep this thread on topic: Updates about players who fans wanted the 'Skins to target this off-season in either the draft or FA.

So far, apart from generating a long list, the Byrd surgery is the only notable piece of news I've seen.

I imagine that we'll get more activity when training camps open up. Some of the lower round guys who were being touted as a whole lot better than the guys we got will not make teams, and that's going to make for some interesting conversations. :)

But please refrain from bringing up players that were not part of this off-season targets.

If you are truly limiting this to FAs and draft options, I get that, but you can't tell me there were not a number of people who wanted us to trade for Josh Gordon this offseason.

From this thread:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373956-fa-tjaxdavis-clingan-rj-mccoy-dj-rc-mcglynn-ej-moore-jordan-bmeri-rogers-hatcher-geathers-sharpton-porter-hayward-lauvao-roberts/

As much I'm against giving up picks, IF Gordon is back on the table at season's end, I'd be trying my damndest to bargain the Browns into something. For the equivalent in the draft on a proven young wideout like that your looking at a high draft pick as it is. 

Hail. 

Damn man, I wish we could get JOSH GORDON this offseason.........Dudes A BEAST....

Should of made an offer at the very least to Cleveland when Gordon was on the table. Sighs.

Hail. 

In response to the above post...

I agree.

The guy I was kind of hoping we could have snagged was Gordon, when there were some reports he was on the trading block after the Richardson trade as it seemed like CLE was cleaning house.  Unfortunately, they turned out to be evil geniuses, getting a 1st for the underwhelming RB, while having one of the best WRs.  Now they'll probably try and find a QB to pair him with.

Cousins and a 2nd for him. Sure why not.

There's some others in the trade Kirk Cousins thread.

Again, if you are limiting it to FA and the draft my apologies, but trades are a method of player acquisition and Gordon was wanted by a number of people.

Epochalypse, you have empasized what I just pointed out. That most folks want to bring in guys based on articles and YOUTUBE videos but none of us have all the facts or the ability to go out and investigate a person's character. The Redskins have the resources to dedicate to investigating somebody's character and they can talk to agents and other player personell that nobody here has access to.

I know its fun to speculate but to get emotionally involved and adamant about wanting this guy or that guy for the team is just fun speculation. It doesn't lead anywhere and we are always going to end up with what we get. I'm still happy.

Epochalypse, you have empasized what I just pointed out. That most folks want to bring in guys based on articles and YOUTUBE videos but none of us have all the facts or the ability to go out and investigate a person's character. The Redskins have the resources to dedicate to investigating somebody's character and they can talk to agents and other player personell that nobody here has access to.

I know its fun to speculate but to get emotionally involved and adamant about wanting this guy or that guy for the team is just fun speculation. It doesn't lead anywhere and we are always going to end up with what we get. I'm still happy.

Completely agree.

I love doing mock drafts leading up to the real one that actually counts, but I know I don't have anywhere near the knowledge or put anywhere near the effort the pros do or even as much as a number of the posters on here do.

I keep my 2012 projected draft as my sig to remind me that it's basically a crap shoot.  Some of those picks I still like and some are obviously poor choices in hindsight.

In any event, I root for everyone who comes to the Redskins (sometimes begrudgingly...I'm looking at you Deion and Jeff George) and I like the deal to trade down so I don't have too many complaints about how this offseason has gone.  Remains to be seen if we have the right people in place to start winning again.  What I don't like about this thread is it sends the message to any of our current draftees/FA signings the suggestion that we don't want them but hopefully they recognize that if they do well that feeling will soon pass.

Of course there are some on here who I get the feeling would rather be right and have the Skins fail then the Skins win and have to admit they were wrong...

If you are truly limiting this to FAs and draft options, I get that, but you can't tell me there were not a number of people who wanted us to trade for Josh Gordon this offseason..... .

If it helps, Josh Gordon over DeSean Jackson ANY day of the week.

But it's all moot now and we roll with what we have.

Hail.

....sends the message to any of our current draftees/FA signings the suggestion that we don't want them but hopefully they recognize that if they do well that feeling will soon pass.

Of course there are some on here who I get the feeling would rather be right and have the Skins fail then the Skins win and have to admit they were wrong...

BTW-Did you read the OP?

It gives a pretty clear idea behind the concept of this thread; which is actually an offshoot of 2 other threads: the FA thread and the Draft thread.

Cheers-

Archived