Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "I wish we had gotten that guy!" thread - 2014 Recap at end of thread.

Voice_of_Reason

I said this at the time and also didn't like the Jenkins pick because even at Clemson he was a run stuffer not a upfield interior rush DL.

Of course everyone told me I was wrong.

The Jenkins pick I wasn't all that sour on.I was just kidnof glad they picked a DL.  Any DL.  Pity about his rookie year injury though. 

Shanahan said that one of the off-season priorities in 2011 was to get somebody to pass rush across from Orakpo, and I just thought doing that from another OLB position was plain stupid. If I was the DC, I would have stood on a table and said, "I am going to have to drop one of these two guys into coverage unless we blitz.  And what am I going to do with them the 60% of the time we go nickle? (If the answer is "play them at DE" then I guess that's at least an answer, if not a good one.)

I said this at the time also.  I would have much preferred that they pick up the best interior pass-rushing DE they could find (Watt?!) and then line Orakpo up behind him, and see how the defense would block that.  Rather than trying to get another OLB pass-rusher from the other side.

Proved to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, Shanahan had no idea what the hell he was doing with defense (which was also evident in Denver), and Haslett either didn't have a say or was stupid.  

• 2 weeks later...

DE Timmy Jernigan- even though he played limited snaps (154) due to early season injury has 2 sacks and 7 hurries which would make him the 2nd best DE on our roster and the 2nd highest rated behind on Hatcher on PFF.

S Terrence Brooks- although he's not a starter logs heavy minutes (even some a CB) for a Ravens team that is deep at S. Brooks would grade as the best S on the roster going by PFF.

Doing a lot of wishing lately...

Right side of our O line could easily have been Bitonio/Martin (G) and Donald Penn (RT).

Not sure Wilfork ever wanted to leave the Pats...but imagine after all these years of 3-4 defense, Skins finally get a true NT.

• 2 weeks later...

Season is almost over.  At some point soon, I'm going to dust off our original list and see who landed where.

I know a few of our FA targets ended up on IR (Byrd being the most obvious).  

I think, and I could be wrong, that the folks who wanted Bitonio (I was one of them) look pretty smart.  I think staying put and drafting him might have been the best move.  Moses has a lisfranc, and Long hasn't started.  So, they went 2 for 1, and niether of the 2 guys contributed. 

Binonio turned into a solid player.

• 2 weeks later...

Timmy Jernigan or Spencer Long hhhmmmmmnnnn

Timmy Jernigan (or the 13th rated 34 DE in the NFL)

312 snaps

4 sacks

12 QB hurries

14 stops (tackles for loss)

Guess who the top 34 Des are in pass rush productivity?

JJ Watt-15

Timmy Jernigan-9.7

Jason Hatcher-9.6 (surprised huh? don't ask Jay though..)

Sheldon Richardson-9.5

Vine Curry-9.5

My draft:

Selecting from 47: Timmy Jernigan

66: Morgan Moses (armed with full knowledge Dez Southward or Christian Kirksey)

79: Terrence Brooks (Gabe Jackson if Dez Southward was selected above)

102: Martavis Bryant

142: Avery Williamson

186: Lache Seastrunk

217: Seantrel Henderson/ Yamin Smallwood

• 1 month later...

I wanted to bump and put a bow on this thread.  As I was reading back through it, we had quite a few folks who were high on guys who did well, high on guys who didn't do well, and everything in between. 

Some key takeaways:

- The draft is a complete crap shoot.  You've got to keep feeding that beast because there's no question that you're going to hit some and miss some.  

- The Ravens hit a lot, and that makes me want to break things. 

- Rarely does it pay off to spend big money on FAs.  The biggest FA signing last season (Byrd) was a non-factor.  

- Personally, I was in favor (as were a lot of folks) for staying put at 34 and just picking the best damn OL they could find, which probably would have been Bitonio. Instead, they went 1 for 2, and got Long and Moses, Moses looks like the only position he can play is one we don't need (LT), and Long didn't make the starting lineup.  I'm going with "Should have just stayed freaking put." Said it then, say it now.  (And FWIW, unless there is an offer of epic proportions, I wouldn't trade out of 5.)

Here's the list that we put together with some notes.  

So, I'm not going to go through every one of these guys and post articles and links.  But I am going to highlight a few that were most talked about.  Please feel free to chime in.  

Available at Pick 34:
Cyrus Kouandjio - (OT) Bills Pick Group 34: I think it's safe to say he hasn't lived up to expectations yet.  The Bills moved him between positions mid-season. 
DeMarcus Lawrence - (OLB) Cowboys Pick Group 34: Was hurt, then had a mistake in the playoff game. Incomplete
Joel Bitonio - (OT) Browns Pick Group 34: This is working out really well for the Browns.  
Jordan Matthews - (WR) Eagles Pick Group 34: 67 catches for 870 yards.  Not bad for a rookie.
Marqise Lee - (WR) Jags Pick Group 34: 37 for 442. Not great. 
Rashede Hageman - (DE) Falcons Pick Group 34
Stephon Tuitt - (DT) Steelers Pick Group 34

Available at pick 47
Jace Amaro - (TE) Jets Pick Group 47: 38 for 345 and 2 TD.  Slow start, but started to come on a little bit.  
Timmy Jernigan - (NT) Ravens Pick Group 47: Grumble.
Troy Nicklas - (TE) Cardinals Pick Group 47

Available at pick 78
Bill Turner - (OG) Dolphins Pick Group 78
Gabe Jackson - (OG) Raiders Pick Group 78: Played for Raiders.  Pretty well, I think.  
Louis Nix - (NT) Texans Pick Group 78: Ended up on IR
Terrence Brooks - (FS) Ravens Pick Group 78: Grumble.

Available at pick 102
Ka'Deem Carey - (RB) Bears Pick Group 102
Martavis Bryant - (WR) Steelers Pick Group 102: 49 for 549.  Not bad. 
Pierre Desir - (CB) Browns Pick Group 102: Ended up starting for the Browns for a few games. 

Available at pick 142
Avery Williamson - (ILB) Titans Pick Group 142
Chris Smith - (OLB) Jags Pick Group 142
Cyril Richardson - (OG) Bills Pick Group 142: I believe he played right away. 
David Yankey - (OG) Vikings Pick Group 142: Didn't play as a rookie.
John Urschel - (OG) Ravens Pick Group 142: Grumble.

Available at pick 186
Daniel McCullers - (DT) Steelers Pick Group 186

Available at pick 217
Ahmad Dixon - (S) Cowboys Pick Group 217: Waived by Cowboys, bounced around a lot. 
Jeff Janis - (WR) Packers Pick Group 217
Jeremy Gallion - (WR) Pats Pick Group 217
Michael Campanaro - (WR) Ravens Pick Group 217
Michael Sam - (DE) Rams Pick Group 21: Dancing with the Stars
Seantrel Henderson - (OT) Bills Pick Group 217: Played really well. 
Yamin Smallwood - () Pick Group 217

Needed a trade up to get:
Jimmie Ward - (S) 49ers Pick Group Trade Up: IR
Jordan Matthews - (WR) Eagles Pick Group Trade Up: Played well. 
Kyle Fuller - (CB) Bears Pick Group Trade Up
Ryan Shazier - (LB) Steelers Pick Group Trade Up
Xavier Su'a-filo - (OG) Texans Pick Group Trade Up

Went undrafted, signed with another team as an UDFA
Alex Bazzie - () Pick Group Undrafted
Brandon Coleman - (WR) Saints Pick Group Undrafted
Christian Jones - (LB) Bears Pick Group Undrafted
Craig Loston - (S) Pick Group Undrafted
James Hurst - (OT) Ravens Pick Group Undrafted
Shane Skov - (LB) 49ers Pick Group Undrafted

Free Agents: (not many updates here, most people konw how these guys did.  I think the take away is that the big money safeties didn't pan outso well. 

Mack - (CB) Browns
Revis - (CB) Pats
Talib - (CB) Broncos
Al Woods - (DT) Titans
Vance Walker - (DT) Chiefs
Antoine Bethea - (FS) 49ers
Byrd - (FS) Saints: IR
Chris Clemons - (FS) Texans: Cut by Texans
Mitchell - (FS) Steelers: Didn't play well, restructured. 
Brandon Spikes - (ILB) Bills
Dekoda Watson - (ILB) Jags
Vincent Rey - (ILB) Bengals
Geoff Schwarts - (OG) Giants
Travelle Wharton - (OG) Panthers
Willie Colon - (OG) Jets
Penn - (OT) Raiders
Tyson Clabo - (OT)
Sproles - (RB) Eagles
Daniels - (TE) Ravens
Ed Dickson - (TE) Panthers
Pitta - (TE) Ravnes
Andre Johnson - (WR) Texans
Hakeem Nicks - (WR) Colts
Ted Ginn - (WR) Cards

2 (47) Trent Murphy vs Timmy Jernigan DL

3 (66) — Morgan Moses - same

3 (78) — Spencer Long vs Terrence Brooks S

4 (102) Bashaud Breeland vs Martavis Bryant 

5 (142) Ryant Grant vs Avery Williamson

6 (186) — Lache Seastrunk - same

7 (217) Ted Bolser - Seantrel Henderson

7 (228) — Zach Hocker - Yamin Smallwood

I really hope the skins can develop any two of Murphy, Long or Moses into solid contributors.

Moses injury sometimes ends careers so I hope the big fella is alright.

Everyone loves to bang on the kid but he played 2 games at LT against good defenses and got very little help and he graded out better then Compton and Polombus at RT.

Long couldn't get on the field and normally that would be cause for concern if you trusted the team's coaching staff in regards to personnel but judging by how long it took them to replace Tyler and the fact that they only played Moses due to injury then I have hope that Long can still play.

I thought Murph was playing well pre-injury also I don't think he's a lost cause I feel like you got to give the kid this season.

Moses injury sometimes ends careers so I hope the big fella is alright.

Everyone loves to bang on the kid but he played 2 games at LT against good defenses and got very little help and he graded out better then Compton and Polombus at RT.

Long couldn't get on the field and normally that would be cause for concern if you trusted the team's coaching staff in regards to personnel but judging by how long it took them to replace Tyler and the fact that they only played Moses due to injury then I have hope that Long can still play.

I thought Murph was playing well pre-injury also I don't think he's a lost cause I feel like you got to give the kid this season.

i agree with all but on Moses.  He definitely seemed to play better at LT than right, and that's not where we need him.  I don't really think he played all that much at RT.  Ideally, when the team went to bench Polumbus, Moses would have been in contention to start instead of Compton.  But I don't think he was close.

I trust Callahan more than Foerster to develop guys.  

As far as Murphy, he was "ok" before injury. But I'm not going to cap his potential based on a rookie season playing for a doofus of a DC.  

Archived