Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YahooNews:How 'Big Corn' lost the ethanol battle to Philadelphia refiners

Zguy28

How 'Big Corn' lost the ethanol battle to Philadelphia refiners

http://news.yahoo.com/big-corn-lost-ethanol-battle-philadelphia-refiners-044223818--sector.html

By Cezary Podkul and Jeff Mason

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Six months ago the U.S. oil industry scored a surprise win against farm groups when the Obama administration proposed slashing the amount of ethanol refiners must blend into gasoline, a move that could save them billions of dollars.

Stunned by the reversal, producers of the corn-based biofuel and their supporters are now fighting back ahead of a June deadline for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to make a final decision on the cut.

The clash has been portrayed as a battle between "Big Oil" and "Big Corn," two powerful and deep-pocketed lobbies. But a Reuters review of public records and interviews with lawmakers, lobbyists and executives reveals a more complex picture.

Full article at the link

I found this a very interesting article.

It was obvious that corn based ethanol was not any better for the environment, was costing more oil than it was saving due to a decrease in engine performance, and was damaging engines, particularly in older cars.

Never should have happened in the first place.

Using food as fuel = bad

Using food that takes a lot of space and effort to cultivate/harvest as a fuel = even more bad

Using food that takes a lot of space and effort to cultivate/harvest that doesn't help the environment = ugh......

Using food that takes a lot of space and effort to cultivate/harvest that doesn't help the environment and results in less efficient fuel mileage = well you get the point.

Not to mention the absolute havoc ethanol is causing in fuel systems. If you have any yard equipment find a gas station that sells 100% gasoline

My BiL owns his own his own lawn/landscaping business. He has dealt with this for a while now. It really does play havoc on small engines. He's basically had to replace his entire stock of equipment due to this issue.

Not to mention the absolute havoc ethanol is causing in fuel systems. If you have any yard equipment find a gas station that sells 100% gasoline

I have a pickup that I drive very, very, rarely. 

I have to only put a quarter tank of gas in it, when I "fill up", or the fuel goes bad, sitting in the tank.  (A few tanks with some "fuel system cleaner" seems to have fixed the damage done, before I learned that.) 

There aren't any around southern Maryland that I know of. All have ethanol in them.

For very small engines, very rarely used, I've seen places like Home Depot and Sears selling special fuel for things like chain saws.

It's pre mixed with oil.

No Ethanol.

And there's a preservative in it.

Supposedly, you can leave it in your chain saw or whatnot, and it will still be good two years later.

It's expensive. Just going from memory, I think it's like 10 bucks a quart.

But, for example, I have a chain saw that I keep, in case of hurricanes, that I probably haven't used in over a year. And I really want it to work, if I do need it.

Trying to separate my cynicism-cum-paranoia from accurate forecasting of "unfortunate" human behavior can become quite challenging at times. One so much resembles the other in validity too often.

In this case, I sometimes wonder if other factions that benefit from the ethanol programs, like the vast auto <and gas-fueled motors> repair industry, also "friended" those in congress supporting ethanol, knowing it helps their revenue flow. 

dangerman.jpg

And never let the ethanol gas sit in your yard equipment during the winter. Guaranteed to ruin the engine by the start of spring.

Prices at the pump will be lower from all the savings!

Right after Catherine Zeta-Jones finally accepts my proposal.

And you'll get better MPG, your engine will last longer, and less urban smog.

As for Catherine, you can have her. Gorgeous, but bipolar makes it sooo not worth it.

I don't know anybody who has followed the corn ethanol circus over the past 5+ years, except those who also have concluded that it is a really stupid idea.  Good riddance.

It's a nuisance to have to take extra precautions with lawn equipment and old cars, but Slateman and Asbury nailed the truly big issue. Ethanol is not some kind of evil substance.  It's fine, and can be a useful fuel source.  Corn is just a truly terrible crop to use and subsidize for that purpose.  As far as I know, the USA doesn't have any legitimate home-run alternatives for ethanol at the moment, either.  Lawnmowers everywhere rejoice at the news.

I guess it's time to ramp up our GMO sugarcane efforts, and grow massive inland seas of it in the distinctly non-Brazilian climates found north of the TX-LA-FL axis.  With everyone eating HFCS, we can grow cane and forget the "burning a food source" bit.   ;)

I'm lazy and have not read the article as of yet, but I have read that one effect of using corn for fuel was to raise the price of corn for tortillas which may not mean much to most of us but means a LOT to less fortunate people who use torillas as a staple food.

I don't know anybody who has followed the corn ethanol circus over the past 5+ years, except those who also have concluded that it is a really stupid idea.  Good riddance.

It's a nuisance to have to take extra precautions with lawn equipment and old cars, but Slateman and Asbury nailed the truly big issue. Ethanol is not some kind of evil substance.  It's fine, and can be a useful fuel source.  Corn is just a truly terrible crop to use and subsidize for that purpose.  As far as I know, the USA doesn't have any legitimate home-run alternatives for ethanol at the moment, either.  Lawnmowers everywhere rejoice at the news.

Exactly.  Ethanol is not an inherently bad idea.  When it is done with sugar cane, it is amazingly efficient.   With corn it is awful - a total boondoggle.

To be honest, I'm surprised that Obama's people had the political will to try this.  While Obama's isn't going to gain any votes in conservative oil states like Texas because of this, this ruling is going to be deadly for Democrats running in corn states like Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, South Dakota and even Illinois.  I can see the attack ads now.      

Tortillas are a staple food ?

Corn has no real nutritional value. Sure it tastes great, but that seems silly.

So many options besides corn and unfortunately that is the route they took.

This is an older article that addresses unrest in Mexico over the rising cost of tortillas. This particular article did not mention ethanol and stated drought conditions as a reason that a shortage occured and prices to rise, but I think it would not be outrageous to believe that ethanol production  also played a role in the supply and demand, though I admit I'm neither a farmer or economist!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48996423

Tortillas are a staple food ?

Corn has no real nutritional value. Sure it tastes great, but that seems silly.

So many options besides corn and unfortunately that is the route they took.

I'm not sure where that idea originally came from but I hear it a lot, these days.

Corn is high in niacin, folate, fiber and it contains vitamins A, B, C, & E.

1 ear of corn has roughly 8% DV of Vitamin A and %15 of DV of Vitamin C 15%

I suspect corn meal/flour is actually a lot better for you than the processed white flour that makes up the other main version of tortillas.

Political will??? LOL

they were ****slapped by reality

Reality hasn't stopped the Corn Lobby from getting its way for the past two decades, has it?  

Objective reality is a meaningless term in Washington, DC (or Austin, TX, or Sacramento, CA). 

You are missing my point.

15% does not sway me to think it is some major nutritional food.

I'm not sure I get what you are saying.   Corn is the primary source to fill the fundamental calorie needs of millions of people.   Doesn't mean it is "good for you" like kale or something.  It means it is the basic staple, like wheat (or rice in Asia).

You are missing my point.

15% does not sway me to think it is some major nutritional food.

That's probably my fault, Kosh... When I said staple I meant it as people who buy and eat in large quantities due to it being what they can afford.

Predicto, I understand that it is consumed that way. It simply should not be a staple with comparisons to other food options.

That's probably my fault, Kosh... When I said staple I meant it as people who buy and eat in large quantities due to it being what they can afford.

Yeah. That's all I am saying. As far as nutritional value.

Not your fault man, just the way we read or state things sometimes.

Archived