Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gawker: The College Contraction Has Begun

Springfield

You have all sorts of government jobs, however I don't see fed jobs in the DC area as anything special these days, in particular if you go into the Fed in your 20s.

You'll end up starting as a GS-7, moving up slowly to a GS-12 salary of 100k by age 33, get your 12-14 vacation days, and live out in places like Manassas, Warrenton, Woodbridge, Charles County, Fort Washington.

You will spend 45 minutes a day, minimum, battling traffic or the idiots on metro. On occasion the government closes, but you are telecommuting those days. 

If you are lucky you will make SES level at age 47, with a salary of 165k. 

What a life. 

I'm confused....that is a bad thing? 

My aunt ended up retiring making well over 100k a year at the DOE with a freaking high school diploma. She's not exceptionally smart or hard working. Now I'm expected to get a master's degree to even sniff the life she had.

how many years did she stay there ... i"m betting at least 25? I mean ... who wants to do that? More power to your aunt, it takes discipline to stay at a job that long and 100K is great anywhere ... but also, how long did she go earning between 50-75K, awhile I bet. 

Government jobs are great, but you have to stay for ever. 

I am not trying to insult at all the life of a gov't worker.

What I am trying to state is that it isn't the utopia that non Feds think it is.

It is tough work and the pay and benefits really aren't what people outside the Fed space think it is

Wow SHF...that's pretty insulting to a lot of people. 

Forgot to quote you in my response.

Again, wasn't meant to insult, but highlight that Fed work isn't exactly a cake walk of a life that it is portrayed to be outside of the DC area

What I am trying to state is that it isn't the utopia that non Feds think it is.

It is tough work and the pay and benefits really aren't what people outside the Fed space think it is

Again, wasn't meant to insult, but highlight that Fed work isn't exactly a cake walk of a life that it is portrayed to be outside of the DC area

It really, really varies by job and department.  For example, I know that for attorneys, private pay is usually better, but the hours are much, much worse (sometimes).  A few years back, I was part of a screening panel for some general attorney jobs at the Dept. of Labor, and it was surprising how many applications we had from attorneys at big private firms who were willing to take significant pay cuts (up to 50% or more) to work for the feds.  I guess getting your evenings and weekends back was worth the pay cut. 

cunning_plan-alligator.jpg

Damn this thread is making me feel guilty as a Senior in Highschool. The college im planning to attend, Saint Josephs University, is exactly like the ones being described in this thread. Its not super elite, but it still charges a hefty tuition at around 55k, though 45 for me because of some merit money. My family is pretty well off and my dad assures me that I will not walk away with an insane amount of debt. He told me this directly because I began to look at cheaper schools such as St. Mary's College of Maryland and York of PA because I felt guilty about the cost. He says he'd rather spend money on a somewhat prestigious college because it will provide an advantage when job hunting. He went to somewhat good schools (Georgetown, UMD) himself and they were all paid for by his relatives Now SJU is no Yale or Cornell, but it has a top ranking business school and I think being located in Philly will be perfect for job opportunities. 

I want to take advantage of the business school and would like to double major in Buisness Intelligence/Analytic and Information Technology. Ive always been a tech geek. I constantly tinker with my phone, computer and solve most of the tech related problem in our household. But man, this thread has got me rethinking my plan. 

I want to take advantage of the business school and would like to double major in Buisness Intelligence/Analytic and Information Technology. Ive always been a tech geek. I constantly tinker with my phone, computer and solve most of the tech related problem in our household. But man, this thread has got me rethinking my plan.

If you're a good problem solver, ditch the business school and get an engineering degree at a state school. It's a lot of work, but trust me, it's money in the bank. Especially if your dad is paying for it.

Edit: And get an internship ASAP. A good internship is more important than a good GPA.

If you're a good problem solver, ditch the business school and get an engineering degree at a state school. It's a lot of work, but trust me, it's money in the bank. Especially if your dad is paying for it.

Edit: And get an internship ASAP. A good internship is more important than a good GPA.

What he said.

Math/hard science degrees > that business non-sense.

I work with the fed but i got my job through a development program which my agency is doing with the majority of the young workforce.  You work 4 different rotations in 3 years in a particular discipline.  I worked finance and now i know every single finance function of my agency that has a multi-billion dollar industry. It was cool doing something like that and it allowed young people to succeed through the program because if you got all your things done after the 3 years you were a 12.  

Not to mention Engineering can be pretty fun if you have the mind and work-ethic for it.

Come at me, bro! This nerd knows Krav Maga!

:)

Also, I'm an Engineer, not a Computer Scientist. The difference is much greater than I would have expected.

haha, you're a lot smarter than I am.  LOL

My wife is a PM, which is way off her degree as well.

Damn this thread is making me feel guilty as a Senior in Highschool. The college im planning to attend, Saint Josephs University, is exactly like the ones being described in this thread. Its not super elite, but it still charges a hefty tuition at around 55k, though 45 for me because of some merit money. My family is pretty well off and my dad assures me that I will not walk away with an insane amount of debt. 

Of course, if you are well off and don't care about the tuition, the analysis changes.   Still, I would consider whether your in-state public university isn't a better bet overall.  

Seems like our the last twenty years the pay and benefits of federal work have gone up so much that it is actually a career aspiration for young kids. That is absolutely amazing to me that young people with the world and life in front of them want to join a bloated soul sucking beurocracy with finite earnings potential.

$80k, no accountability, 40 hours a week, unlimited educational opportunities and a job for life though, what's not to like. Jokes on me I guess. I wish I had looked at the federal government when I was 22.

I actually consider this a good thing.  I want the brightest and best to want to work for the federal government, and it is pretty competitive to get in now.

I just wish the government had the balls to cut the "most talentless trash" from that era who still complain about wages despite having some of the highest salaries and benefits found across the country for doing minimal work.

The government used to have no problem laying people off.  Not sure what changed over the past 20 years.

Of course, if you are well off and don't care about the tuition, the analysis changes. Still, I would consider whether your in-state public university isn't a better bet overall.

that would be UMD, which I am not too fond of after visiting.

Damn this thread is making me feel guilty as a Senior in Highschool. The college im planning to attend, Saint Josephs University, is exactly like the ones being described in this thread. Its not super elite, but it still charges a hefty tuition at around 55k, though 45 for me because of some merit money. My family is pretty well off and my dad assures me that I will not walk away with an insane amount of debt. He told me this directly because I began to look at cheaper schools such as St. Mary's College of Maryland and York of PA because I felt guilty about the cost. He says he'd rather spend money on a somewhat prestigious college because it will provide an advantage when job hunting. He went to somewhat good schools (Georgetown, UMD) himself and they were all paid for by his relatives Now SJU is no Yale or Cornell, but it has a top ranking business school and I think being located in Philly will be perfect for job opportunities. 

It sounds to me that your father is well off and doesn't mind forking out the money for you to attend a pricey school.  If that's the case, go for it.  If your father expects you to pay for it through student loans and doesn't show signs of paying for it himself, I wouldn't do it.  I'd find a lower cost alternative if that's the case.

I think we need to draw a distinction between education and job training. They're not identical, and they both have merit.

One solution to the money problem is to reassess our public budgetary priorities. How many kid's tuition could we pay per bomb?

Archived