Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Letter From Dan Snyder: The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation

TK

As part Native with family still on the reservation I am very proud of Dan, & the Redskins organization for this resolution. I have been against a name change, but cognizant of its impending inevitability. Although, throughout this process I have always maintained that the best case scenario is one where attention, & assistance was provided to the various NA Nations...I never truly believed that the organization would take such actions.

I am elated that Dan had the intestinal fortitude to take a more noble, & constructive approach to this negative situation, regardless of what anyone else thinks or says about it. At the end of the day I think you have lost all argument that nothing good can come from this moniker, & we can all agree that this is an infinitely better solution than revoking awareness or aid to NA people of need.

Special applause goes to Dan for having the foresight to put existing NA tribal leaders, & council-people in charge of the organization to allow them the freedom to make the best decisions as to where to route the assistance.

It's funny to me that people who would want us to change the name, can still wallow in muck over a word instead of choosing to allow positive action to flourish despite whatever reason you think it might exist.

Ya know, I've known for some time that Snyder does many things without fanfare because they interest him, not because he wants recognition for it -- especially recognition that comes with cynicism. But, since he's announced this initiative, I'm gonna post a link here that some might find enlightening.

"Lakota on Path to Recapture Language

PINE RIDGE, S.D., March 15, 2006 (AScribe Newswire) -- The Lakota Sioux language, made famous through its portrayal in the 1990 film "Dances with Wolves," is now one of only a small handful of Native American languages with enough remaining speakers to survive into the next generation, announced a major language organization. Lakota is currently one of the last major Native American language hold-outs in what is a worldwide crisis of linguistic extinctions.

To keep the Lakota language from disappearing completely, an ambitious revitalization campaign has been organized by a group of tribal leaders and linguists. The campaign is spearheaded by the nonprofit Lakota Language Consortium, which develops the Lakota-language teaching materials used in 23 area schools and which trains language teachers.

He also cites several other unique donors to the Lakota language, including the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation and Sioux Tools. Meya notes that the sports franchise, in particular, "is committed to helping the Lakota language and is a very proud supporter of our cause."

You can find the entire release here:  http://www.ogmios.org/ogmios_files/293.htm

Going back as far as 2006 Snyder was helping create, print, and distribute textbooks to keep this language alive ... all behind the scenes. Maybe it's time to give the organization, and its owner, its due for sometimes being more than we ever know.

The more I read that he's BEEN a lending hand to the Native American cause, the prouder it makes me of being a Redskins fan in my honest opinion. It shows that this "fluff" letter isn't just smoke and mirrors, and that he's serious about actually DOING something. Something that these radical PC police and bandwagon keyboard warriors haven't even remotely thought of doing, other than changing the name and going back to their regular lives thinking their conscience is clear because they changed a damn NAME of a football team, rather than really put forth effort into helping these people. Think about it, if the wife of Snyder is sole responsible for the Breast Cancer Awareness that the entire NFL takes part of now, just imagine how big the OAF can become? I pray that it gets so big to the point where it has overwhelming support from some of the public, and those that oppose the Redskins name can finally shut their faces, or sit there and behave like spoiled brats who didn't get what they want and scream until they're blue in the face.

I'm glad a very rich man's eyes were opened to poverty.

This has been the general consensus from my friends & colleagues I've emailed/texted with this AM. I get it too, much of the backlash I'm seeing has do with how Snyder wrote the letter almost as a personal journey of discovery. I think less Snyder and more "The team/organization" would have allayed some the criticism and need to take a shower after reading some are feeling. Then again I think that getting hung up on points like that is as silly as parsing our QBs press conferences to make sure he's using We and not I.

well, I'm glad he met some of "them". Dan met poor people. Good for him. After all this time and racist name talk, he visited some Indians. Nobody sees the hypocracy in this?

I really don't have a horse in this race. I've been a fan of this team my entire life. Change the name or don't. I really don't care.

I'm glad a very rich man's eyes were opened to poverty. I hope he's genually better for it. But the name of a team, who plays a game, isn't that important.

Why did you feel the need to put "them" in quotes? Did it make your point more important? He's been charitable to a lot of groups over the years. And if you bothered to read the letter, not all of them were poor. Way to generalize.

well, I'm glad he met some of "them". Dan met poor people. Good for him. After all this time and racist name talk, he visited some Indians. Nobody sees the hypocracy in this?

I really don't have a horse in this race. I've been a fan of this team my entire life. Change the name or don't. I really don't care.

I'm glad a very rich man's eyes were opened to poverty. I hope he's genually better for it. But the name of a team, who plays a game, isn't that important.

Why is the name being talked about in here though? What's the relevance?

Snyder got feedback that he should take more interest in the plight of Native Americans. He listened and took that advice to heart. We are starting to see the result. It's all GOOD stuff, isn't it?

As for your timeline, who cares if he took ownership of the team in 1999 and is only now becoming involved in this specific worthy cause? Did you start donating to charities immediately upon being able to afford it? Have you as a citizen done everything that you can to bring awareness to issues? I don't see why he's any different. I certainly could do more than what I do but I don't expect a donation of mine to be met with a response like "You've had kids for 6 years and you're only now donating to the Make a Wish Foundation, you hypocrite!"

Cut the guy a break.

You know so very little about Snyder that it's almost offensive to see you post as if you do. Your snark and cynicism isn't going to hold up on this one, trust me.

This has been the general consensus from my friends & colleagues I've emailed/texted with this AM. I get it too, much of the backlash I'm seeing has do with how Snyder wrote the letter almost as a personal journey of discovery. I think less Snyder and more "The team/organization" would have allayed some the criticism and need to take a shower after reading some are feeling. Then again I think that getting hung up on points like that is as silly as parsing our QBs press conferences to make sure he's using We and not I.

Right, anyone willing to criticize a rich guy for "finally" adding another charity to his list need to look in the mirror and have some perspective. It's not like this is the first time the Snyder-led Redskins have supported a cause or been charitable. Also, since when do we judge generosity?

Ya know, I've known for some time that Snyder does many things without fanfare because they interest him, not because he wants recognition for it -- especially recognition that comes with cynicism. But, since he's announced this initiative, I'm gonna post a link here that some might find enlightening.

"Lakota on Path to Recapture Language

PINE RIDGE, S.D., March 15, 2006 (AScribe Newswire) -- The Lakota Sioux language, made famous through its portrayal in the 1990 film "Dances with Wolves," is now one of only a small handful of Native American languages with enough remaining speakers to survive into the next generation, announced a major language organization. Lakota is currently one of the last major Native American language hold-outs in what is a worldwide crisis of linguistic extinctions.

To keep the Lakota language from disappearing completely, an ambitious revitalization campaign has been organized by a group of tribal leaders and linguists. The campaign is spearheaded by the nonprofit Lakota Language Consortium, which develops the Lakota-language teaching materials used in 23 area schools and which trains language teachers.

He also cites several other unique donors to the Lakota language, including the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation and Sioux Tools. Meya notes that the sports franchise, in particular, "is committed to helping the Lakota language and is a very proud supporter of our cause."

You can find the entire release here:  http://www.ogmios.org/ogmios_files/293.htm

Going back as far as 2006 Snyder was helping create, print, and distribute textbooks to keep this language alive ... all behind the scenes. Maybe it's time to give the organization, and its owner, its due for sometimes being more than we ever know.

I just wanted to re-post this...no doubt some will diminish and devalue Synder and the Redskins' actions on this issue as well. It's their default setting.

From Keim/ESPN.com:

Gary Edwards, in charge of the foundation, said they already have 40 active projects.

Edwards, who is Cherokee, has served as the CEO of the National Native American Law Enforcement Association since 1993. Edwards did not know (Bruce) Allen until a friend of his, who happens to be a neighbor of Allen's, suggested they talk.

Edwards said none of the tribal leaders they visited with declined support because of the team name.

"In all the surveys everyone asked us to come and not one indicated they had a problem with it," he said. "When we sit down with the tribal leaders and tribal council and tribal elders, they've got so many quality-of-life needs that if the name of a football team is on a list somewhere, it's down around 379.5. You're going to hear about ... basics of water, food and shelter to education and sports programs for the youth ... Wellness, health care, transportation."

He echoed Allen's sentiment about the intent of the foundation.

"All they've got to do is go back and look at my career and what I have done in Indian country and the things I tried to work with," Edwards said. "We did a lot with very little. If they go and look since I've been with this organization since mid-November, what we've done they can see is for real. It's the right thing to do."

Allen said there's widespread support for the foundation in the NFL.

"We heard from other teams who want to jump on the foundation's bandwagon," he said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10671715/washington-redskins-not-trying-buy-native-american-support-foundation-gm-bruce-allen-says?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I swear some of our fans won't be happy until our owner is in the ground. 

And even then they'll continue to blame him posthumously for all our ills. 

Dude does a great deed like this and still gets the underhand slamming through the forever Snyder cynical among our number. SMH at just what more the man can do to atone for his past sins with some which is the root problem in those instances. 

Hail. 

When reading the letter I wasn't shocked to see Gary Edwards be invovled. Much of what the letter talked about in terms of issues facing those on reservations basically mirrors what I heard talked about a few years back when I attended NNALEA's conference. It was actually there that I became fully convinced that the name change issue was nothing but a contrived political activist endevour by and large. Gary will be a wonderful head of the organization and someone whose reputation and history helping the Native American population is impecable.

"We heard from other teams who want to jump on the foundation's bandwagon."

How awesome would it be if this became a league wide movement, similar to the breast cancer awareness movement.

It's not nearly as easy to monetize leaguewide as selling all pink merchandise so I doubt it will ever reach those heights, but it would be nice to see some involvement from the shield itself.

This is awesome.

I don't care that it took the name change controversy to raise Snyder's awareness of the problems facing native americans, all I care about is that he follows through.

And it appears he has the right guy running the show in Gary Edwards.

What would be awesome is for them to have an open donation page for the Foundation so us fans can contribute outside of our ticket prices.

Totally agree. But it would be cool multiple teams got involved, even if the NFL itself doesn't.

It should be a multi-sport alliance too, in addition to the NFL.

Imagine the good that could be done if the Redskins, Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves, Indians, etc., got involved as well.  Even a tiny % of revenue being given to the cause, if pulled from all these organizations, would be huge, and be millions and millions in a decade.

Mr. Snyder has, and is, extending his hand out to help American Indians and their plight.

There's nothing bad one could say about it on Dan's part; he's doing what government, other nationalities, even the very same native american people hasn't done; help one another.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade, but I have a feeling that after awhile it will not be enough; on the same lines of giving a stray cat some milk, and the cat continues to show up at the doorstep every day, meowing louder and louder, until it has been satisfied.

I sincerely hope that the charity [ ies ] or whatever form of help actually reach the people in need; unfortunately, we've all seen way too often how monitary donations are filtered through administrative fees etc, and only a fraction of the donation reaches its destination.

I have a feeling that in the short term this would be a good thing, but in the long run greed will take over, and we may be right back at square 1 later down the road.

Nevertheless, Mr. Snyder is showing class, and he should be praised, not ripped by media...

SIC

It's being run by Native Americans with tribal leaders conferring on needs and the charity's finances will be on public record for all to see. 

It should be a multi-sport alliance too, in addition to the NFL.

Imagine the good that could be done if the Redskins, Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves, Indians, etc., got involved as well. Even a tiny % of revenue being given to the cause, if pulled from all these organizations, would be huge, and be millions and millions in a decade.

Plus, the Redskins would get the PR benefit as being THE leader of a multi-team coalition against Native American poverty. It's win-win.

I just emailed Senator Maria Cantwell.  She's the senator from Washington who is also on the Indian Affairs committee.  I sent her a link to the letter from Daniel Snyder.  I asked her what changing the name of a football team would do.  How would it help Native Americans. 

I'd really like to know from someone who wants the Redskins name changed what they feel it would accomplish?  I'm serious, not being sarcastic.  How would it help?  Once the name is changed, then what? 

My point exactly, slowly but surely the NA legacy is wiped from the memories of generations to come. 

i dont know who burritossupreme is in the comments section, but i like him.....

http://deadspin.com/dan-snyder-is-starting-a-foundation-for-native-american-1550821668

"Snyder can have it both ways, he's the team owner....essentially, he can do whatever he wants. He can dig in his heels and keep the name AND set up an organization. Keep ****ing all you want, but ****ing never did anything for the Native Americans. You can criticize his motives all you want and that's fine...chances are if he's not in this situation, he's not doing this. But at least some mouths are getting fed and some issues are being addressed and no one can really whine about that......................I get the feeling that Snyder could come up with a cure for cancer and the guys at deadspin would figure out a way to **** all over it because that's part of the schtick."

Here's a brief video of Gary Edwards, a full blooded Cherokee and VP of the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation

Nice work Hogg. I was just getting ready to post this, in the other thread.

His comments referencing the use of the name in its historical context; good to hear someone actually saying it.

AMAZING interview, and right in line from what I've seen from him previously with NNALEA. I hope the mediots don't start coming out of the woodwork trying to proclaim this guy some kind of native american uncle tom, because they'd be fools to do so. The guy has spent decades working with native americans and to support indian country in the US. He's not the type to simply get on board to be a mouth piece of something he doesn't believe in.

Archived