Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Roster Thread: Up to date as of 8/29 @ 8:34 PM EST

KDawg

Ideally we find a way to get Cofield to DE... I know, going on 3 years now. If it's a one gap system, hard to argue against an Okie with Barry next to Ryan, Baker in the middle, and Hatcher over with Rak. That's a lot of big boys and a lot of potential outside... finally.

I'd like to see Cofield and Baker and Hatcher move around to both ends and Nose. Line them up all over the place.

I can't believe I'm going to say this.  No Doughty at Safety... and I'm asking.. is 10 Defensive backs between corners and safeties really necessary?

Well, don't just think of them as DBs either. Think of them as special teams help. Rambo, to make the team, will have to be able to contribute on special teams. He'll have to give 100% on everything he does.

Looking at my personal depth chart above, these guys would be specs guys:

Forbath, Malone, Sundberg - specialty positions.

Crawford

Thomas

Rambo

Gumbs

Hayward

Jordan

Sharpton

Jenkins

Thompson

Paulsen

Paul

Roberts

Could be:

Amerson

Moss

Biggers

Geathers (situationally)

D. Jax (returns only - likely won't play this role on a regular basis)

Obviously I'm not including field goal team where the OL will be a big part of it.

TEAM (53)

DEFENSE (25)

SECONDARY (10)

Cornerback (5):

39 David Amerson

20 Richard Crawford

23 DeAngelo Hall

22 Tracy Porter

38 Chase Minnifield

Free Safety (2)

25R Ryan Clark

24 Bacarri Rambo

Strong Safety (3):

31 Brandon Meriweather

41 Phillip Thomas

48 Jose Gumbs

DEFENSIVE LINE (6):

Defensive End (5):

72 Stephen Bowen

97 Jason Hatcher

99 Jarvis Jenkins

92 Chris Baker

94 Clifton Geathers

Nose Tackle (1):

96 Barry Cofield

LINEBACKERS (9):

Inside Linebacker (5):

53 Darryl Sharpton

55 Adam Hayward

54 Akeem Jordan

56 Perry Riley

52 Keenan Robinson

Outside Linebacker (4):

98 Brian Orakpo

91 Ryan Kerrigan

51 Brandon Jenkins

50 Rob Jackson

OFFENSE (25)

Guard/Center (2):

78 Kory Lichtensteiger

00 Mike McGlynn

Guard (4):

73 Adam Gettis

79 Maurice Hurt

77 Shawn Lauvao

67 Josh LeRibeus

Tackle (3):

71 Trent Williams

74 Tyler Polumbus

68 Tom Compton

Fullback (1):

36 Darrel Young

Running Back (3):

29 Roy Helu Jr

46 Alfred Morris

25W Chris Thompson

Quarterback (3):

10 Robert Griffin III

8 Kirk Cousins

Colt McCoy

Wide Receiver (6):

88 Pierre Garcon

85 Leonard Hankerson

89 Santana Moss

12 Andre Roberts

15 Aldrick Robinson

11 Desean Jackson

Tight End (3):

84 Niles Paul

82 Logan Paulsen

86 Jordan Reed

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):

Kicker (1):

2 Kai Forbath

Punter (1):

3 Robert Malone

Long Snapper (1):

57 Nick Sundberg

So I took the OP and whittled down the players that I think have a legit shot at making the roster. Right now that gets me to the full 53. Of course, guys like McGlynn or Polumbus could go just as easily as Geathers, Bown or any of the ILBs we signed along with Biggers/Minnifield/Gumbs in the secondary.

But that just shows we don't have a ton of open roster spots. I have us down for all 3 QBs ... if we trade cousins we might draft a guy but put him on the PS ... or we cut McCoy ... just can't see us carrying 3 QBs. But either way, we have the potential to add a lot of picks by trading back ... but we just don't have a "ton" of space for them. Yes, we can make room and may the best player make the team ... but looking at this snapshot makes me lean towards just drafting at the position we hold picks and getting the best value v. accumulating a bunch of picks.

Akeem Davis added to safety list as 00 due to official press release from team.

But that just shows we don't have a ton of open roster spots. I have us down for all 3 QBs ... if we trade cousins we might draft a guy but put him on the PS ... or we cut McCoy ... just can't see us carrying 3 QBs. But either way, we have the potential to add a lot of picks by trading back ... but we just don't have a "ton" of space for them. Yes, we can make room and may the best player make the team ... but looking at this snapshot makes me lean towards just drafting at the position we hold picks and getting the best value v. accumulating a bunch of picks.

That's the beauty of BPA though. We can look at our board and see who's there. If we REALLY like a lower ranked player and have an option for a short fall back where we think we can acquire the valued player and add picks, it's still an option.

If we like the talent available at our choice, then we just pull the trigger. BPA is beautiful.

And that BPA can replace many of the players on our roster this season, next season, and future seasons.

When you draft for need, you may get lucky and get the BPA overall, but you're shoehorning yourself into a forced draft choice. Dangerous, dangerous, dangerous.

I'd like to see Cofield and Baker and Hatcher move around to both ends and Nose. Line them up all over the place.

Right?

I mean... who does that besides the Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers?  I suspect it might work...

Right?

I mean... who does that besides the Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers?  I suspect it might work...

Not only that, it gives the OL a different guy with a different skillset and different style to go up against. OL tends to get more effective once they figure out in real time what a guy is capable of. Sure, they pick up a lot in film study, but actually seeing the speed takes a few plays sometimes.

Now, by moving guys around, you increase the amount of film study necessary for the OL as well as give them many looks in game which keeps them on their toes.

I don't see a reason not to move the guys around. In fact, with a 1-gap system (even if you 2-gap from time to time), ideally you'd want guys who can play any position on the DL in an odd front. Because then even your subs have to be accounted for.

Thanks for the thread Dawg. :)

Looking over the roster, it still pains me to say that our secondary needs a lot of work.  I feel like "we need to upgrade the defensive secondary" has become the new "we need a franchise quarterback".  We can trot out a decent group to start with, but if we have an injury (or we seem to like suspensions), then look out.  Hell, I think CB looks thinner than safety.  Praying for good health there.

I think you're right about Hank sticking at WR with what we currently have.  Aldrick is the first man out I think.  

And not to derail into Hank oblivion, but how is his rehab going?  How is Crawford's rehab going?  Just haven't seen it anywhere.  Pulling hard for both guys. 

FS 25 Clark

SS 31 Meriweather

ILB 56 Riley                ILB 55 Adam Hayward

OLB 98 Orakpo    RDE 97 Hatcher    NT 96 Cofield    LDE 92 Baker     OLB 91 Kerrigan

CB 23 Hall                                                                            NB 22 Porter                                  CB 39 Amerson

FS-(? Meriweather/ Gumbs/Rambo/T. Robinson/Hall/Thomas)

SS-(Gumbs/T. Robinson/Thomas)

ILB-(Sharpton, A. Jordan, Robinson, Compton)

OLB-(Rob Jackson, Brandon Jenkins)

DL-(Stephen Bowen, Jarvis Jenkins, Clifton Geathers)

CB-(Biggers, Crawford)

Akeem Davis added to safety list as 00 due to official press release from team.

That's the beauty of BPA though. We can look at our board and see who's there. If we REALLY like a lower ranked player and have an option for a short fall back where we think we can acquire the valued player and add picks, it's still an option.

If we like the talent available at our choice, then we just pull the trigger. BPA is beautiful.

And that BPA can replace many of the players on our roster this season, next season, and future seasons.

When you draft for need, you may get lucky and get the BPA overall, but you're shoehorning yourself into a forced draft choice. Dangerous, dangerous, dangerous.

Totally agreed with your depth chart (though if Worthington makes the squad I could see him taking Golston's role on teams) and totally agree with this.

One thing I could see is trading back and acquiring picks for next year. By then we'll have a better idea of where we stand and could package picks to move up (something like what I think San Fran will do this year).

• 2 weeks later...

Post draft:

FS 25 Clark

SS 31 Meriweather

ILB 56 Riley                ILB 55 Adam Hayward

OLB 98 Orakpo    RDE 97 Hatcher    NT 96 Cofield    LDE 92 Baker     OLB 91 Kerrigan

CB 23 Hall                                                                            NB 22 Porter                                  CB 39 Amerson

FS-(? Meriweather/ Gumbs/Rambo/T. Robinson/Hall/Thomas)
SS-(Gumbs/T. Robinson/Thomas)
ILB-(Sharpton, A. Jordan, Robinson, Compton)
OLB- TRENT MURPHY (Rob Jackson, Brandon Jenkins)
DL-(Stephen Bowen, Jarvis Jenkins, Clifton Geathers)
CB- BASHAUD BREELAND (Biggers, Crawford)

Here's my guess, totally unscientific, and of course totally fluid based on camp/preseason. 

Offense:

QB - 2
RGIII

Kirk Cousins (could be traded if there's a TC injury or something)

RB - 3
Alfred Morris

Roy Helu

Lache Seastrunk

FB - 1

Darrel Young

WR - 6

Pierre Garcon

DeSean Jackson

Andre Roberts

Aldrick Robinson

Ryan Grant

Leonard Hankerson

TE - 4

Jordan Reed

Logan Paulsen

Ted Bolser

Niles Paul

OL - 9

Trent Williams

Shawn Lavauo

Kory Lichtensteiger

Adam Gettis

Morgan Moses

Hurt (G/T)

Polumbus (T)

Leribeus  (G/C)

Spencer Long (G/C)

Defense:

DL - 6

Bowen
Cofield

Hatcher

Baker

Nield

Jenkins (outside chance for Geathers)

ILB - 5

Riley

Robinson

Darryl Sharpton 

Adam Hayward

Akeem Jordan

OLB - 4

Orakpo

Kerrigan

Murphy

Jenkins

CB - 5

Hall
Amerson

Porter

Breeland

Crawford

S - 5
Clark

Meriweather

Thomas

Rambo

T. Jackson

ST - 3

K - Forbath

P - ????

LS - Nick Sundberg

Added three more UDFA. Re-organized the roster into more appropriate position groupings. Basically consolidated.

Didn't we cut Brandon Moore?

Hadn't seen that. That is why this thread is somewhat interactive. I'll do the best I can with it. Help is always appreciated.

Archived