Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

thesidelineview.com: Former Bears GM Jerry Angelo Rates Every Quarterback from the 2013 NFL Season

Califan007 The Constipated

http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/former-bears-gm-jerry-angelo-rates-every-quarterback-2013-nfl-season

Note: This is primarily based on the 2013 season, I believe.

Former Chicago Bears GM (2001-2012) Jerry Angelo rates every quarterback from the 2013 NFL season on his nine-point scale.

9.0-8.5 The upper class quarterbacks. They can elevate the play of their team. Has an extraordinary make-up physically and has intangibles. An elite player.

9.0 Peyton Manning
8.9 Tom Brady
8.8 Aaron Rodgers
8.7 Cam Newton
8.7 Drew Brees
8.6 Philip Rivers
8.5 Andrew Luck

8.4-8.0 Played at a high level. Was one of the reasons – but not the reason – for his team’s success... not elite.

8.4 Russell Wilson
8.4 Colin Kaepernick
8.0 Nick Foles

7.9-7.5 Talented, has good history of play, but had a subpar year. Lack of durability, deficiency in an intangible area, poor cast around him or coaching. Any of these reasons may have kept him from playing to his potential. May be a descending player.

7.9 Tony Romo sits to pee

7.4-7.0 Solid traits but limited. Can “win with him” but need a good supporting cast and quality coaching. Shown to be a consistent performer, but not a top one.

7.0 Eli Manning

6.9-6.5 Has strong traits but hasn’t done it. Lack of experience, injuries, missing intangible may be the reason for his erratic play. Still a work in progress. He can move up or down.

6.9 Robert Griffin III

Talented, but yet to define himself as an NFL quarterback. He won’t have a successful career by working outside the pocket. No one at his position did or will. Too many games and too many hits keep QB’s from having a career based on their feet, rather than their pocket accuracy.

Forgot one other:

5.4-5.0 A band-aid, can get you through a game. Not a starter. He lacks the arm strength or needed accuracy. May also be missing something intangible, i.e. toughness, instincts etc.. Cannot win with him, regardless of supporting cast or coaching.

5.4 Kirk Cousins
Smart, hard working and well liked and respected. Lacks the arm talent to start and become a guy you can win with.

Eli Manning and his 18 TDs + 27 picks is rated higher?  C'mon man...

I think his "good history of play" elevated him over RG3, but notice it's only by one-tenth of a point.

Sorry but this is a seriously flawed list. How can he put Newton, Rivers, and of all people Luck in the same category with Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rogers?

How does Romo sits to pee get a pass for a bad year but RGIII does not? He is clearly gonig off of previous years. How is WIlson where he is? He did very little for that team this year. Not saying he could not be good, but did you see the last 6 games he had before the SB? He was one of the worst QBs in football. There was talk of Kaepernick being benched midseason. Luck is a TO machine. He is good but not elite yet by any means. He had 8 TOs in 2 playoff games!!!!  How is that elite?

Sorry, but IMO Angelo is off his rocker.

Sorry but this is a seriously flawed list. How can he put Newton, Rivers, and of all people Luck in the same category with Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rogers?

I live in San Diego, so I get to see all of Rivers' games.  He is probably the best QB in the NFL that has not won a SB.  He is the best touch passer I have seen in a long time, including Brees and Manning.  He is also a good leader - he really owns the huddle for the Chargers.  His career stats are good to excellent and this years team was young and inexperienced at WR and oline.  Rivers was the catalyst for the offense.  He made the entire team better. 

With a little luck he would have 1 or 2 SB appearances, but LT getting hurt in the playoffs two years in a row and a torn MCL in the playoffs (Rivers still played a good game) ruined the teams chances.  In my book Phillip does belong on that list.

I live in San Diego, so I get to see all of Rivers' games.  He is probably the best QB in the NFL that has not won a SB.  He is the best touch passer I have seen in a long time, including Brees and Manning.  He is also a good leader - he really owns the huddle for the Chargers.  His career stats are good to excellent and this years team was young and inexperienced at WR and oline.  Rivers was the catalyst for the offense.  He made the entire team better. 

With a little luck he would have 1 or 2 SB appearances, but LT getting hurt in the playoffs two years in a row and a torn MCL in the playoffs (Rivers still played a good game) ruined the teams chances.  In my book Phillip does belong on that list.

I haven't got the chance to see him as much being as I'm on the east coast. But the few games I have seen him, the playoffs being the most recent- I saw him make some great throws with shady protection and average WR's. He is extremely accurate on the throws that require a lot of touch, timing.

Wow. There is a LOT of hate going on in this thread. Jeeze guys. Take a step back from the ledge.

This man farts more football knowledge that 99% of us will ever know. I thought the list was quite spot on throughout. I thought it was really informative and really honest about the guy's opinion. Not every GM will agree on everything, that's why there are 32 teams.

I don't like the number, but he meets those criteria.  Lack of experience, injuries, and missing intangibles (you know, like having a soap opera for a coaching staff) all contributed to his erratic play.  Can go up or down.

Next year he'll be in the elite of the elite, but for this year, just take away the number part of it and he fits the grouping.

I don't like the number, but he meets those criteria.  Lack of experience, injuries, and missing intangibles (you know, like having a soap opera for a coaching staff) all contributed to his erratic play.  Can go up or down.

Next year he'll be in the elite of the elite, but for this year, just take away the number part of it and he fits the grouping.

That's what I'm thinking. Being grouped with Bradford seems quite appropriate. Horrible teams, a couple of injuries, lack of experience. It's tough to tell if they're being held back (like Rivers) or if they just aren't getting it (like Cutler and Stafford). The difference is that, Griffin by virtue of being in year two, has much more chance of going up than down.

Wow. There is a LOT of hate going on in this thread. Jeeze guys. Take a step back from the ledge.

This man farts more football knowledge that 99% of us will ever know. I thought the list was quite spot on throughout. I thought it was really informative and really honest about the guy's opinion. Not every GM will agree on everything, that's why there are 32 teams.

The problem I have with the rankings is that the 3rd group is described as having a "good history of play" but had a down year. By definition that means that no 1st or 2nd year QB can fall into that category. But if that's so, then those same 1st and 2nd year QBs shouldn't be ranked above that grouping, either. I mean, Nick Foles doesn't have a "good history of play", so should he be ranked above Romo sits to pee or Ryan? If it's based solely on 2013, then that "good history of play" shouldn't be considered in the rankings.

The problem I have with the rankings is that the 3rd group is described as having a "good history of play" but had a down year. By definition that means that no 1st or 2nd year QB can fall into that category. But if that's so, then those same 1st and 2nd year QBs shouldn't be ranked above that grouping, either. I mean, Nick Foles doesn't have a "good history of play", so should he be ranked above Romo sits to pee or Ryan? If it's based solely on 2013, then that "good history of play" shouldn't be considered in the rankings.

Yeah, I kind of see that. For me at least, I felt like "good history of play" was similar to "no history of bad play".

Foles doesn't exactly have 2-3 years of good play, but he has one good year of great play. Romo sits to pee has sporadic good moments with enough evidence piled up now to show that he's wildly inconsistent. 

RG3 is rated about right based on recent trouble.

But man, Kap, Wilson, and Cam are insanely inflated just by having playoff teams.  I'll give Wilson some credit for making throws in the biggest game, but come on these 3 are not markedly better talent wise than Rg3.  It's silly how much team play has affected his viewpoints here.  All 3 of those Qb's would be in the exact same situation (worse I think with Kap) if they played for the Redskins last season.

I live in NC and saw him at NC State. I am actually a big fan of Rivers. But he is just not elite. He has come up small too many times. I agree if he had some better support and honestly a bit better luck, he could have gone to a few SBs. So I do believe he is very good, I just don't think he is elite.

Honestly my bigger problem with the list is giving Romo sits to pee a pass for a bad year and over inflating kapernic, luck, and newton. If you just go by the year they had as was stated, this list should have looked different.

How is Griffin rated appropriately? He was on pace for nearly 5K total yards between rushing/passing and 20+ TD on an awful team, not even a year removed from full knee reconstructive surgery? Seriously his bad season would've been some starters career seasons. If he were actually rating these players based off of last season than Eli Manning should be dead last, he was horrible.

Not an unfair assessment.

But Angelo drafted Orton and Grossman.

/thread

It seems bad, right, but if you think about it Orton and Grossman have at least STUCK in the NFL for many years and arguably had a couple successful seasons (depending how you define it) and shown some moderate growth as passers and QBs.  So, it's not a stunning set of selections (and trade if you include Cutler) but it's not awful either.  

It seems bad, right, but if you think about it Orton and Grossman have at least STUCK in the NFL for many years and arguably had a couple successful seasons (depending how you define it) and shown some moderate growth as passers and QBs.  So, it's not a stunning set of selections (and trade if you include Cutler) but it's not awful either.  

Yeah, and I've never had a problem with Orton as a back up.

But I'll be very interested to see if Rex Grossman ends up in Cleveland or on the coaching staff down in Gainesville, FL.

Just interesting to see the grades of a man who could never draft his guy.

Not sure he's in the same class as the big 4 but I agree with you on Rivers.  He is one of the most accurate passers of our time. 

6.9 Robert Griffin III

Talented, but yet to define himself as an NFL quarterback.

When it comes to Griff describing him as 'talented' is an understatement and of course he hasn't defined himself as a QB yet.

He had a great year as rookie and an average years as a sophmore

He won’t have a successful career by working outside the pocket. No one at his position did or will.

Griffin doesn't work outside the pocket nearly as much as his perception. And the times he does is usually by design of the offense, not his own choice.

Too many games and too many hits keep QB’s from having a career based on their feet, rather than their pocket accuracy.              

Griffin does need to protect himself better. But the decision to build an offense around his run threat as opposed to pocket accuracy wasn't his choice.

Ah yes Mr. Jerry Angelo.

He did a fantastic job putting together a winning roster in Chi-town.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-03/sports/ct-spt-0104-bears-angelo-chicago--20120104_1_president-ted-phillips-talent-gap-fourth-offensive-coordinator

Bears cite talent gap in firing Angelo, New GM will have mandate to catch up with Packers, Lions

"An extended run of poor drafts, particularly on offense, finally caught up to Angelo."

Quality football dude right there bruh.

Archived