Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Replacing Fletch

Larry

Reportedly (rotoworld et others)  Riley wants around 7mil a season and the team and he are very far apart.  This might not get settled for a bit, especially if they do the smart thing and let him test the waters.  To me this is a huge issue losing Fletch and Riley with poor safeties behind them means the defense right up the gut is weak.

IMO we need to address at least one ILB and one S in FA - then i would feel better about letting the fragile Robinson, and the overmatched Rambo see more playing time. 

It's a huge concern right now.

Keenan Robinson.

Yep, I said it.

I'm VERY high on him. (And I'm assuming he's not going to tear his pec for the 3rd time).

Keenan showed a lot of potential and I thought he could start this year in place of Riley, with Riley taking Fletcher's spot.  I was gutted when he got injured.

I'm rooting for him but he's missed a whole lot of playing/development time. 

We could bring in a vet to compete for the back up position. But I don't wanna have age as an excuse anymore. I can live w/ rookie mistakes.I can't deal w/ old vets who are always a Step behind. If we're gonna make a youth movement and turn this franchise around then let's do this right. Look at SF and Seattle. That's two teams that are in their prime built on youth and the draft.

Followed a link from Breaking News to an article that I thought made me stop and think for a bit.

Tandler's: Need to Know: The five most valuable Redskins in 2013

According to their (undisclosed) ranking system, the most valuable (which seems to be a way to rank how much a player contributed to a team) Redskins, last year, were: 

(tie) RG3, Trent.

(tie) Garcon, Orakpo

(tie) Fletch, Riley, Kerrigan, Morris. 

The article points out that 4 of those 8 players are LBs, 1 of them is retiring, and 2 are FAs.   

Certainly made me say "wow". 

The good news, at least for me, is that I'm assuming that Orakpo isn't going anywhere, even if we have to just tag him for a year. 

Is ILB a position that you can draft a guy who starts on day 1? In the NFL?.

Almost always no I guess. Unless we picked one at #34 maybe. Looking back at last years draft, The Steelers got 10+ starts from a 6th rounder so you can get key contributors. But that is not the norm.

Plus when you read that vets like Spikes are essentially 2 down guys, I'm sure we can draft someone with a view to taking significant reps in the rotation. A healthy Keenan Robinson makes the whole process a hell of a lot easier as I believe he has a lot to offer this team but I'm not sure we can trust his ability to stay on the field right now.

Pick up a vet, draft someone between rounds 2-4 and then find our best combination from the back end of that.

Well, Riley called the plays for the front 7 last year, so he's pretty important. I really don't see him as either a top tier player or a bust, but it would be nice to improve the position. Unless were signing a player who is familiar with our current defense, we should really stick with him for another year.

The glaring weakness of our D is straight up the middle.

Riley is not worth 7 mil a year. Him and London last year couldn't cover no one! Let him test the waters. Sign a vet and go with the young LBs. not worth it! Should have cut London last year. Our MLB can't cover no one. That's the biggest problem with this defense! Sick of people always talking about certain players who are terrible. How many game changing plays has Riley made since he has been here?

I think of course Riley is going to ask a ridiculous amount in order to get a decent amount of money. It's called negotiations for that very reason.

I have no doubt that the FO won't let him go without taking a decent run at keeping him here.

However, if some team will pay him the 7 million than he would be stupid not to take it.

These guys can never count on a future of playing, it is such a rare thing that someone like Fletcher plays to his age and has never missed starting a game in every year and every play.

He is a super rare freak. As most of you already know the average playing career is about 3.5 years.

I will be curious to see if Fletcher remains healthy, sure hope so cause he is class act.

Hope to see him as an ESPN guys so they can ****can that obnoxious murderer Ray Lewis and the coke addict rapist poser christian mealy mouth Michael Irvin!!!

If. Some how John Beason makes it to FA we should take a real hard look. I was begging the Skins to trade. For him. These are the kind of trades I saw. Other. Teams making and the skins would not. We could of gotten Heason, Talib and a rew others for 4th rd or lower picks. Its an area we need to improve upon big time.

Dansby or Beason?  Are you guys serious?  Aren't these the types of players we want to AVOID?  Either old, injured or both?  No. Stick to the plan of getting young 25-29 (yeah I know Beason just turned 29, but he's an old/injured 29) year olds going into the prime of their career.  If you want injured, I'd just as soon roll with our own Keenan.  But I do know we need to sign, draft or both some ILBers, but Beason and Dansby are not who I want.

I hate play the what if game but if the Redskins wouldn't have picked Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft in 2009 with a 3rd round pick they could have used that pick in 2010 in the 3rd round to pick NaVorro Bowman, who I think is the best ILB in the NFL. I guess you would need a time machine to look into the future to know these things though. Either that or a very good front office like the 49ers have.

If we want to address other positions with our early picks perhaps a 4th/5th rd pick for a RFA vet would be an option. Vincent Rey who Gruden should be familiar with from the Bengals could be a steal for a late mid rd pick. I know they don't run 3-4 there but he is a talent and the transition shouldn't be too tough. LF and PR both had to learn the 3-4 scheme here in DC.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Beason, before the Giants traded for him I was wondering why we hadn't. He hungry and still very good. and would bring a needed attitude to our defense. We should try and land him because he's fast and experienced and while he plays we draft someone to learn under him and the rest is history. Maybe draft the mlb frrom Wisconsin.

If we want to address other positions with our early picks perhaps a 4th/5th rd pick for a RFA vet would be an option. Vincent Rey who Gruden should be familiar with from the Bengals could be a steal for a late mid rd pick. I know they don't run 3-4 there but he is a talent and the transition shouldn't be too tough. LF and PR both had to learn the 3-4 scheme here in DC.

I would love to have Vincent Rey too but I think any Bengals defensive free agent is going to be headed to Minnesota because it has been said that Mike Zimmer was a real players coach and his guys loved playing for him so I would bet he goes after and gets his former players. The Redskins would propably have to over pay to get him. 

We could bring in a vet to compete for the back up position. But I don't wanna have age as an excuse anymore. I can live w/ rookie mistakes.I can't deal w/ old vets who are always a Step behind. If we're gonna make a youth movement and turn this franchise around then let's do this right. Look at SF and Seattle. That's two teams that are in their prime built on youth and the draft.

I agree with you.  I also did a quick look at the Seahawks starting defense and found a few interesting things:

All of their players who started significant time were drafted by them, except for just 2. And its not even that they've had an    

overabundance of 1st round talent or anything.  Here's how their starters break down:

1st rounders: 2

2nd: 1

3rd: 1

4th: 2

5th: 2

6th: 1

7th: 1

UFA: 2

I find it interesting that the best defense we've seen in a while had significant contributions from 8 players drafted from the 4th round on or were not drafted at all.  Impressive talent evaluation and its well documented that we've lacked in that area for some time. Hopefully we can turn a corner with that, but I sure hope not to return to the days of relying upon free agency and overspending on other team's re-treads.

I'm high on Perry Riley. Dude was good last season, but he's not worth $7m per year. I think we need to sign a decent FA if we can get one at a good price. If not, then we just take BPA at ILB with our 2nd or 3rd rounder and accept it may take a season before we see the best of the ILB pairing. I'm not worried about competing this season, I don't see Gruden being the win-now kinda guy, he knows we need to build this franchise up sensibly and sustainably if we are to seriously go after Lombardi 4.

Is ILB a position that you can draft a guy who starts on day 1? In the NFL?

I had the impression that the position had a lot of QB in it, so to speak, in terms of the complexity.

Is something happening on day 1 that I wasn't told about?

Oh, here it is on my calendar - start of undefeated season leading to Super Bowl!

If there's a player who can be developed into a good ILB, take him even if it means he struggles at first.

Archived