Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Replacing Fletch

Larry

The "Sam I Am (Gay)" thread, over in Tailgate, touched off some chain of thought in my mind, that got me wondering. 

(Specifically, somebody suggested we should draft Sam as backup for Orakpo.  And some other guy posted that he's built more like Fletch.  Which got me thinking that backing up Orakpo, I don;t think is a need, but what about replacing Fletch?) 

Which in turn got me thinking, wondering, about how set we are, when it comes to replacing Fletch. 

I will open (for those who haven't already figured this out) that I'm massively ignorant about a lot of these things.  Almost everybody on ES knows more than I do.  And some of y'all know a LOT more. 

But, unlike Orakpo (whom, I figure, we'd have to be idiots to allow to get away, at least for this year), we do know that we're losing Fletch, this year. 

And, I confess, the dude's been such an Iron Man that Massively Ignorant Larry doesn't have a clue as to how we're set, behind him. 

So, I'm wondering.  Do we at least have an adequate player, already on the roster, to cover his spot?  Not necessarily somebody who's going to play every game for the next 20 years, AND be the defense's emotional leader.  But somebody who at least won't be a liability? 

But, do we have a player on the roster who, if he's our starter, Week 1, then we're cool with that? 

Simple answer, NO. 

We have Riley who's developed into a competent starter alongside a top talent like Fletch. But he's no MIKE ready to step into Fletch's massive shoes. Keenan Robinson, health permitting, will hopefully develop into a solid back-up. But he's basically starting over with rookie experience given last season was an injury write-off. Starting the two of those in the middle would lead to some SERIOUS growing pains. I liked the look of Will Compton last camp, but he's in the same boat as Keenan. Unproven potential with little to no pro-experience under his belt. Hull and Kehl are just journeymen back-ups/ ST players. And Barnett showed to me what he is last year. An ageing vet on the downside of his career. If he makes the 53 next year then we HAVE got problems. 

Then you throw in Orakpo probably gone on the outside, and what seemed a position of strength a year or two back is now a growing need/ concern across the whole LB unit. 

Getting a proven MIKE 'backer to lead the unit and D as a whole is one of the priorities for me this off-season. 

Hail. 

You saying, you think we need a proven, starting, vet? 

I was simply wondering more along the lines of "do we HAVE to draft somebody, for this position?" 

(And I'm operating from the assumption that at the minimum, we franchise Orakpo.  Seems a no brainer, to me.  My philosophy is that you don't make the worst defense in history, better, by letting a pro bowl player walk away who you had the cap money to keep.) 

Assume that if we're in the position of "nothing less than a proven, starter-quality, vet will do", then we're talking a lot of money. 

No we don't. I don't feel like Riley is that player and maybe it is because the d was so bad the last couple of years. However I feel we need to find a vet And draft an ILB in the 2 to 4th round to groom. Boreland comes to mind and he should be there in the 3rd.

IMO, I think there are quite a few good ILB's that we can draft that in time could be very good players. Look at some video highlights on YouTube of Shayne Skov, Chris Borland, and Christian Jones. All 3 of them are projected to go anywhere from late 2nd to early 4th round. I think we should go after Skov if he's still there with our 3rd round pick. Although he will need some grooming, he's a very smart and athletic player.

Robinson knows the system and showed quite well overall pre-injury.  The problem is that Keenan and Riley are both good cover LB's primarily, Keenan more so than Riley if memory serves scouting them out of college.  Riley has improved his game and become a pretty solid overall LB IMO.   

I'd give Riley the reigns and allow him to be the leader of that defense.  He's been the most consistent player on that side of the ball for the last two years.  You don't know what you got with Keenan until camp, so he's really just a body until you can find out if he's back to pre-injury form. 

With the way the FO is aggressively going after retaining our DL, I'd be surprised if they pay big money to a FA ILB or draft one very high in the draft.  If the scouts do their jobs, we should be able to add quality depth at ILB for little cost given how stout we are up front.  Fletcher and Barnett were god-awful last year.  They won't be hard to replace....trust me.  Sad, but true.

This is a reason why I am VERY glad we brought Olivadotti back. While I don't believe Riley is the guy to replace Fletch, I do believe he can be coached up to play well like he did in that late 2012 stretch. I also trust that if they give Olivadotti someone with good potential then that player will likely realize said potential under his tutelage. If we still had Slowick I would say we were screwed unless we signed the best free agent available.

We're probably going to have to pick up a good vet on a 2 year deal and groom someone under him since Kehl won't be back and Barnett may not be either and since Robinson, despite potential, can't be relied upon to play a full season yet. Dansby is getting up there, but getting him and grooming a mid round draft pick behind him might be the way to go. Really not a lot of stand-outs at ILB in free agency.

Larry ... my approaches to replacing Fletch.

Strategy 1:

Re-sign Perry Riley to play SAM

Sign Dakoda Watson to a 3 year, $8 million contract

draft ILB Yawin Smallwood in 4th round

Strategy 2:

Re-sign Perry Riley to plan SAM

Draft ILB Christian Jones in the late 2nd or early 3rd

Sign a vet to backup with Robinson/Compton

Strategy 3:

Riley asks for too much ... let him walk

Sign Brandon Spikes from New England to a 4 year, $14 million deal

Sign Dekoda Watson to a 3 year, $8 million deal

Draft ILB Yawin Smallwood in the 4th round

Re-signing Riley makes things easier. If you lock him down at a good rate, then you can sign Watson cheap and get a mid-round prospect for the other backup and possibly start in the future

If we don't get another FA, draft ILB in the 2nd

I think we need to draft and sign a guy. It would be great if Compton or Robinson stepped up but we can't count on it.

Yeah, My approach is if you sign someone like Watson, the need for a starting caliber (immediate impact) ILB is slightly reduced ... so you're talking 4th/5th round backup/groom guy.

If you don't sign a starter in FA ... and just get a vet backup/compete guy ... then I think it's imperative that you land Jones/Skov/Smallwood to come in and compete immediately as a starter

We need to draft ILB, someone who shows enough right now to gives us the confidence that they can contribute straight away. Not a late round 'development' type pick.

Plus look for a second-tier free agent. Hopefully that is our own Perry Riley, unless he really does think he first-tier material.

Am I the only one who feels that the leadership role doesn't always have to be shouldered on a LB?

I think Hall has enough fire and passion to be the leader of this defense if we bring him back.

He's already been a captain before, and teammates respect him. Just my two cents.

Fletcher's replacement (Shayne Skov) will be drafted a round or two before we draft Sam.

Am I the only one who feels that the leadership role doesn't always have to be shouldered on a LB?

I think Hall has enough fire and passion to be the leader of this defense if we bring him back.

He's already been a captain before, and teammates respect him. Just my two cents.

I agree, but I would prefer the defensive calls come from the middle of the field.  Purely for play identification and voice inflection purposes.

He can be a captain, but the signal caller should be an LB or a S.

Considering how poor our special teams were, coupled with losing Fletcher, makes investing in LBs a top priority. We have to sign and draft players to fill these roles. Remember part of the benefit of being a 3-4 team was supposedly the extra bodies for special teams by the LB unit.

Well, first we will need to resign Riley, because he's the only reliable starter we have in the middle.  We will probably need to sign a vet, because we can't count on any of the guys currently on the roster to be ready to start.  Then likely we will draft someone, but I wouldn't expect them to start right away.

We need to draft ILB, someone who shows enough right now to gives us the confidence that they can contribute straight away. Not a late round 'development' type pick.

Is ILB a position that you can draft a guy who starts on day 1? In the NFL?

I had the impression that the position had a lot of QB in it, so to speak, in terms of the complexity.

Is ILB a position that you can draft a guy who starts on day 1? In the NFL?

I had the impression that the position had a lot of QB in it, so to speak, in terms of the complexity.

Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, and Kiko Alonso say hi! Seems like almost every year, a top shelf ILB is available in Rounds 2-3. Sean Lee, Navorro Bowman, Wagner, Alonso, etc. Great if we can get one of our own.

Borland or Skov would be my candidates - leaning more towards Borland.

Archived