Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OK State's Marcus Smart Shoved Some Guy

jwpanic

The guy probably deserved it. He's apparently Texas Tech's #1 fan (self proclaimed, according to deadspin (the TMZ of sports)).

If you look at his face afterwords, he was happy to have elicited the reaction out of the player. So whatever cause him to push the fan was probably well over the line.

Smart accused the fan of saying something racist, which knowing Texas, would not be too surprising.  Personally, I feel like he should've kept his cool, but then again, I'm not in his shoes.  If someone said something similar to me, I would probably react in the same way.

He's a college player, not a professional. If that guy called him a racist name, he deserved to get punched. A college athlete, as DM72 posted, a kid shouldn't be insulted and racially abused at a game. I hope that the NCAA bans that guy for a year.

The black woman behind the fan didn't seem to hear it.

Does that mean it didn't happen? 

It's definitely a woman, but I seriously doubt she's black.  Either white, Hispanic, or some type of mix.

She is not white.  She is most definitely a black woman.

He's a college player, not a professional. If that guy called him a racist name, he deserved to get punched. A college athlete, as DM72 posted, a kid shouldn't be insulted and racially abused at a game. I hope that the NCAA bans that guy for a year.

Does that mean it didn't happen? 

Doesn't mean jack, she was closer to the man than the kid was when he heard whatever he heard.  She had no reaction.

Unless whatever that fan said was really bad Smart should get a very long suspension. Can't go into the stands. Had another fan gone after Smart in retaliation that situation could have spiraled out of control quickly.

There were many other fans around and microphones everywhere. It shouldn't be impossible to determine what was said.

It's definitely a woman, but I seriously doubt she's black.  Either white, Hispanic, or some type of mix.

I'd go with carib or mestizo,which usually don't think they are black.

we need shade charts

Yeah, I don't watch much college b ball anymore (at least during the regular season). Wouldn't surprise me if the kid was right. Regardless, although it is best to learn it very early, learning to restrain yourself in situations like that typically comes later on in life. Some people never learn it. Sometimes you just have to ignore people.

I can't imagine what the average pro player, in any sport, has to endure on a regular basis.

Yeah, I don't watch much college b ball anymore (at least during the regular season). Wouldn't surprise me if the kid was right. Regardless, although it is best to learn it very early, learning to restrain yourself in situations like that typically comes later on in life. Some people never learn it. Sometimes you just have to ignore people.

I can't imagine what the average pro player, in any sport, has to endure on a regular basis.

If you go onto Youtube, I think you can find the video where they (players from the past) discuss this on NBA Open Court.  It's not pretty.

Unless whatever that fan said was really bad Smart should get a very long suspension. Can't go into the stands. Had another fan gone after Smart in retaliation that situation could have spiraled out of control quickly.

There were many other fans around and microphones everywhere. It shouldn't be impossible to determine what was said.

This is my thinking also and I hope with today's myriad of microphones and smartphones, someone somewhere caught whatever he said.  I mean it's hard to think he would go into the stands without serious provocation.  The NCAA is probably just glad it didn't turn into their Malice at the Palace. 

Archived