Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much $ do you need

Tulane Skins Fan

I've always had a dream of getting enough to buy a place on the cheap on the beach overseas somewhere. Wherever the current girlfriend/wife is from (was Brazil, now Ethiopia). I've had **** for pretty much all of my life so I've learned how to be happy with little. I really, really don't/wouldn't need much. House and then essentials. I'd be good. Not sure what the exact figure would be.

Real interesting question. I look forward to seeing everyone's answers so thanks for the thread.

Depends if you want to choose where you live.  I don't think 3-4 mill would do it for S.T Lights out giving rising health care.  But it depends on where he lives and what income he needs per year.

I've always had a dream of getting enough to buy a place on the cheap on the beach overseas somewhere. Wherever the current girlfriend/wife is from (was Brazil, now Ethiopia). I've had **** for pretty much all of my life so I've learned how to be happy with little. I really, really don't/wouldn't need much. House and then essentials. I'd be good. Not sure what the exact figure would be.

Your biggest concern will be costs for health care, so pick an island with free healtth care for all :)

Your biggest concern will be costs for health care, so pick an island with free healtth care for all :)

Eh, my concern would be finding quality health care, not the price of it. I know my dad saves all his major dental and medical stuff for when he goes to Peru with the stepmom (Peruvian obviously) because it's cheaper there.

Depends if you want to choose where you live.  I don't think 3-4 mill would do it for S.T Lights out giving rising health care.  But it depends on where he lives and what income he needs per year.

British Virgin Islands.

Don't forget return on investments.  If you could pull as little back in 5% a year of an investment, you could probably pull in significant income (taxed at short term or long term capital gains).  Maybe my 5% is way off... another reason I'm sort of asking/something debated with my bro.

About 5 Mil would do it for us. I don't know if I'd stop working. I'd work less and go into my passion full time so I'd still make some money, but wouldn't need to work to make a living. 

You can use drawdown calculators to help calculate the number you'd need: http://www.mycalculators.com/ca/retcalc1m.html

Ok, so I put in 5 mill for 50 years, and I think its got me taking out more than 6 figures every year... should be enough to not work full time.  (I, too, would work on my passion, not my job.)

Am I reading that right though?  And, are those draws taxed as income or at lower rates?

You would have to start at $5 mill.  My problem would be 1) where would you get a guaranteed rate of return to ensure you never run out.

In 30 years 5 mill won't mean much.

You can get guaranteed rates of return on bonds and certain investment vehicles.  You would probably diversify with those vehicles, but you'd definitely include some guaranteed money.

* editing because I misunderstood the question.

It still depends on your way of living.  You could be really frugal and make $1 million last if you invest right.  Get rid of your smartphone, only cook at home, get rid of cable, stop doing expensive activities, and you can live off that no problem. The answer to your question for me would be $1.5 million if I don't have to work.  Buy a nice house somewhere not in a major city for like $350,000 and invest wisely.  Live properly without being tempted by lavish things.  Would never have to work again.

You would have to start at $5 mill.  My problem would be 1) where would you get a guaranteed rate of return to ensure you never run out.

In 30 years 5 mill won't mean much.

there's no such thing as "guaranteed" but without compounding interest there's no such thing as stopping working (essentially). 

* editing because I misunderstood the question.

It still depends on your way of living.  You could be really frugal and make $1 million last if you invest right.  Get rid of your smartphone, only cook at home, get rid of cable, stop doing expensive activities, and you can live off that no problem. The answer to your question for me would be $1.5 million if I don't have to work.  Buy a nice house somewhere not in a major city for like $350,000 and invest wisely.  Live properly without being tempted by lavish things.  Would never have to work again.

Health care costs would destroy you.

True.  Guess it depends if you want to stop working or not.  If I only had $1.5 million in the bank, I would keep working, and presumably still have health care provided by my employer.  Once I turned a certain age, say 53, then I'd stop working, assuming I still owned the house and has over a milli in the bank.

But I was told there is a maximum out of pocket. ;) and non means tested

don't crush my dreams

You two are like a kick to the nuts.  This thread is supposed to be interesting and FUN.  Injecting healthcare into this thread is like inviting all your friends to a comedy club so you can tell them you're getting divorced.  

Let it go.

Archived