Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFF: Offensive lines rankings (all 32 teams)

HtownRocks111

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/1/

I don't agree with their assessment of the Redskins at all.  I guess they are only going by whats on the stat sheets as far as sacks per pass attempt and rushing yards total as a team.  but I'll take atleast 10 offsenive lines that are "ranked" worse then ours over ours.

I'm really surprised to see them ranked that high but the point they make of RG3 being at fault for more sacks than any individual lineman is fair.

They were really solid at run blocking and you saw the pass protection look markedly better with Cousins playing QB when he was making quicker decisions and moving around in the pocket a bit better than RG3 had been.

I'm really curious what Gruden does with the line since most people seem to think he'll move from the ZBS to power based.

I'm really surprised to see them ranked that high but the point they make of RG3 being at fault for more sacks than any individual lineman is fair.

They were really solid at run blocking and you saw the pass protection look markedly better with Cousins playing QB when he was making quicker decisions and moving around in the pocket a bit better than RG3 had been.

I'm really curious what Gruden does with the line since most people seem to think he'll move from the ZBS to power based.

And what that potential change in blocking schemes will mean to Morris. Does he stay a monster or turn into a 6th round pick?

if we replaced Montgomery with Alex Mack and drafted a solid RT in the 2nd/3rd round, Chris Chester wouldn't look so bad IMO.

I am all in on getting Mack in FA, moving Montgomery to LG, drafting JaWuan James with 2nd round 34th pick and moving Polombus to RG. This would vastly improve the offensive line. With the depth we already have.

And what that potential change in blocking schemes will mean to Morris. Does he stay a monster or turn into a 6th round pick?

Maybe I misunderstood, but I could have sworn Gruden said something along the lines in the press conference that the running game wouldn't be touched much because it works. But, there are a ton of comments like yours, so I am thinking I caught the stupid that day.

The only people who can possible think our offensive line isnt in the bottom of the NFL are those that just didnt watch any games.  Our running game was good, but the pass blocking was a wet paper bag.

When you rank our pass blocking ABOVE our run blocking, you cant be taken seriously :-/

The reason is because PFF doesn't know how to analyze their own scores beyond adding up the contribution of each lineman. That's literally all they're capable of.

http://imgur.com/a/qT3X0

Looking at the actual scores, you'll see that Trent Williams had almost SEVENTY percent of the OL's overall grade. The interior sucked.

Also our TEs outside Reed suck, though Paul is an okay #3. Paulsen and Davis were terrible.

I like QB hurries:

Williams: 21

Polumbus: 28

Lichtensteiger: 22

Montgomery: 17

Chester: 38

Trent Williams was responsible for fewer QB hurries than our two interior linemen which is shameful for any self-respecting guard.

The fact that Chris Chester was responsible for 38 hurries points out the biggest problem. Griffin isn't throwing INTs and making poor decisions/getting flushed out of the pocket when he gets sacked, by virtue of the fact that a statistical sack means that at least the play ended with the ball in our hands, or a fumble which is basically on the player holding the ball.

Hurries however are the stat which leads to interceptions, leads to inaccuracy, leads to a player moving more than they should in the pocket. Out of the whopping 126 times our offensive line allowed Griffin to be hurried this season (out of 456 dropbacks, meaning 27% of the time Robert Griffin was being rushed to throw the football, or at least 1 in 4 dropbacks.) almost 1/3 of those hurries were caused by the ineptitude of one player, who happens to play almost directly in front of RG3.

So in other words, over a quarter of his passes were rushed, and out of five NFL linemen almost 33% of those rushed throws were the result of an interior lineman who was incapable of holding down his spot.

Look at Cincy on that list btw..  IJS

But all we need to do is take the Gibbs 2.0 approach. Improve the offensive line in free agency and scheme. In 2004 he brought back Cory Ramer from the Chargers, brought in Randy Thomas from the Jets and Ray Brown at OT. That instantly improved our O-line. He brought in Rabach a year later. If we can address 2-3 positions in FA and 1-2 positions in the draft we'll be set to run the power scheme.

Look at Cincy on that list btw..  IJS

But all we need to do is take the Gibbs 2.0 approach. Improve the offensive line in free agency and scheme. In 2004 he brought back Cory Ramer from the Chargers, brought in Randy Thomas from the Jets and Ray Brown at OT. That instantly improved our O-line. He brought in Rabach a year later. If we can address 2-3 positions in FA and 1-2 positions in the draft we'll be set to run the power scheme.

Don't forget we have two big ass guards already in MoHurt and LeRibeus that might potentially be an answer there. 

Hail. 

Don't forget we have two big ass guards already in MoHurt and LeRibeus that might potentially be an answer there. 

Hail. 

how funny would it be if they were actually decent and they were just rotting on our bench because they were either in shannys doghouse or couldnt pull quick enough.

id like to think they just arent very good, considering not a single person could get chester out of there (who was horrible).

how funny would it be if they were actually decent and they were just rotting on our bench because they were either in shannys doghouse or couldnt pull quick enough.

id like to think they just arent very good, considering not a single person could get chester out of there (who was horrible).

I think we're gona' be surprised on a lot of guys with competent Coaching man. 

Not least the dude in the 10 jersey.

Hail. 

I was thinkng the same thing.  Wondered what happend to the Rib and some others.

if we replaced Montgomery with Alex Mack and drafted a solid RT in the 2nd/3rd round, Chris Chester wouldn't look so bad IMO.

Other way around - if we replace Chester (and his high cap number), Montgomery and Polumbus/Compton look a lot better.

Further, Montgomery and Polumbus/Compton fit better in a combo zone/power system (Cincinnati ran a combo system) than Chester.

I would target a G in free agency, then open up the other G competition to include Lichtensteiger, Leribeus and Hurt. Monty competes with Walton and Kowalski, Polumbus and Compton face off for the starting RT gig. This would be an improved (and adequate) line, considering RG3 will be getting the ball off quicker next year, after an off-season with Gruden. I can't count how many times this year I was yelling for RG to get rid of the football faster.

Also - guaranteed Allen will bring in 2 new TEs that can block, since Gruden runs a lot of 2 TE sets, with one of them typically being a big body. They recently signed Richard Quinn who can block, but I suspect the only TE who will be around next year is Reed.

You can't fix everything right away in one of season - sometimes incremental improvement from within can go a LONG way.

And Mack will be too expensive as a UFA, even with the cap room we'll have - we have other more important needs to take care of (WR, defense).

After rewatching our games our line was better than I had first thought.  They would get embarrassed every now and then, but a lot of our issues came from rg3 holding the ball too long and our receivers just not getting open.  I don't think we were top 5, but we aren't bottom 5 either.

Gotta remember that in the pistol formation that play-action froze defenders alot. In pass pro our O-line was atrocious!!

Archived