Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gruden committed to Griffin, will have diverse playbook

brandymac27

New Redskins Coach Jay Gruden said that he hadn’t studied Robert Griffin III’s game, and as of Thursday evening, he had yet to speak with the quarterback. But the coach believes that the young passer has everything it takes to be a winning quarterback in the NFL.

Griffin ended the year on the inactive list for the final three games, as Mike Shanahan instead started Kirk Cousins. But Gruden said that Griffin is his starting quarterback.

“Well, I don’t see him being a backup. I like Robert. He was drafted here for a reason: to play,” he said.

Gruden – himself a former quarterback – explained that he will be demanding, but will work to earn Griffin’s trust while also aiming to do everything possible to position him for success.

“It’s got to be genuine,” he said of the trust that he intends to develop with Griffin. “He’s got to believe it. I’m going to let him know that I’m a trustworthy guy. He’s also got to understand that I expect a lot from the starting quarterback. I expect him to come in and prepare and work hard and I expect him to take the blame on some throws. I expect him to be a great leader. I expect him to do extra things to be great. As long as he’s working his butt off, I will provide him with everything he needs to be successful and I will give him every avenue – if he doesn’t like a play, I’m not going to call the play. I want to make sure that he’s going to be comfortable with everything we’re doing so he goes out on game day and he can succeed.”

After Gruden’s press conference, Griffin tweeted, “Excited about the hiring of Coach Jay Gruden. Can’t wait to get to work with him & the guys!”

Gruden is expected to promote tight ends coach Sean McVay to offensive coordinator, and that will help ensure a smoother transition for Griffin and his fellow skill players. But

Gruden will serve as play-caller, he said.

Asked about the zone-read option attack and if the Redskins would continue to run it, Gruden said, “I love it. We ran some with Cincinnati with Andy [Dalton] and I think it’s part of football now. It’s something you have to get your defense prepared for. It’s something that has a place in the National Football League.

Gruden is known as a West Coast offense play-caller, but he said he has a diverse offensive philosophy.

More at link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/01/09/gruden-committed-to-griffin-will-have-diverse-playbook/

How can people still print that they expect Sean McVay to be promoted after they ask him specifically and Gruden laughed about it because he hasn't made any decisions?  Not saying it might not happen, but Gruden made a point to say there a lot of coaches out there that want a job and may be a good fit.  Same with the Haslett rumors.

I'm more curious about Alfred Morris. They seemed to prefer receiving backs in Cincinatti. Can it be that hard to teach Morris how to catch? (and block)

There in lies the key to what will define Coach Jay. Can he adapt to the situation he finds himself in with the talent at his disposal at that particular time?

One would certainly hope he'd become more balanced now he has one of the top backs in the league to utilise. FWIW, when they did run the ball in Cincy, they had a great variety as opposed to the limitations Alfred has had to date. And just look what he's done within those constraints. 

Hail. 

There in lies the key to what will define Coach Jay. Can he adapt to the situation he finds himself in with the talent at his disposal at that particular time?

One would certainly hope he'd become more balanced now he has one of the top backs in the league to utilise. FWIW, when they did run the ball in Cincy, they had a great variety as opposed to the limitations Alfred has had to date. And just look what he's done within those constraints. 

Hail. 

Well the nice thing Gruden has going for him is that Morris is making like 500k a season and was a minimal draft investment. If he were a veteran making millions, you might have to cut him loose instead of putting a square peg in a round hole, but from a roster perspective, Morris could be sitting on the bench for 90% of the snaps and you're still getting your money's worth. (obviously none of us want that, but the point is that Alfred Morris is house money)

I'm more curious about Alfred Morris. They seemed to prefer receiving backs in Cincinatti. Can it be that hard to teach Morris how to catch? (and block)

BJGE, there number 1 back the past couple of years, caught all of 4 passes this year. 22 last year. I don't see that as them preferring a receiving back...that being said they did add the rookie from UNC this year who could catch the ball. I expect him to use Alfred as the primary runner and bring in Helu to do some of the pass catching. 

BJGE, there number 1 back the past couple of years, caught all of 4 passes this year. 22 last year. I don't see that as them preferring a receiving back...that being said they did add the rookie from UNC this year who could catch the ball. I expect him to use Alfred as the primary runner and bring in Helu to do some of the pass catching. 

bro, Gio Bernard had 54 catches this season. Green Ellis had 22 last season which isn't very many, so maybe it's more about working with what they have. But clearly Gruden liked having a receiving back this year and used him to great effect.

Wonder who goes first if their relationship ends up just as rocky as last years did?  Griff or Grud?

Question is why would one think that the relationship would end up rocky?

Shanny has a personality and style on the other end of the spectrum compared to Gruden. This is obvious all ready by Gruden saying he will listen to his QB's and take their input. You see to be a great leader you have to also know how to follow. I think the fact Gruden is a younger guy and played the position at a higher level he understands it from a number of angles. Who would know better what the challenges of a QB are than him, he probably approaches it from the way he would have liked to been coached as a QB. 

But Gruden said that Griffin is his starting quarterback.

I like RGIII a great deal and expect him to be a very good QB, but I sort of wish the new coach had just said that every position would be an open competition. I'm sure Robert would win that comp, and think he'd even look forward to it (most elite athletes think that way. I suspect deep down Cousins feels the same way).

On a 3-13 team there should be nobody who expects to have an automatic job. Not Rak, not Trent, not Morris, nobody.

A total restart should be just that.

A minor point to be sure, but I just wanted to put it out there.

I like RGIII a great deal and expect him to be a very good QB, but I sort of wish the new coach had just said that every position would be an open competition. I'm sure Robert would win that comp, and think he'd even look forward to it (most elite athletes think that way. I suspect deep down Cousins feels the same way).

On a 3-13 team there should be nobody who expects to have an automatic job. Not Rak, not Trent, not Morris, nobody.

A total restart should be just that.

A minor point to be sure, but I just wanted to put it out there.

So, you want more drama surrounding this team?  Given what the team gave up for RG3, a new coach saying that there will be an open competition would lead to a lot of questions and potentially bad feelings.

Now, his statement does lay down the ground rules of what he expects from a starting QB, and RG3 will have to live up to all of that if he wants to continue being the starter.  I don't think he will have a problem with any of that.

Does anyone here think RG3 is not our starter?

I am glad Gruden quickly squashed any QB controversy. If Cousins ends up our starter one day, it will happen all on it's own.

Mike went as far out of his way to create a controversy as he could - resorting to deactivation of all things. It failed, and Gruden put it to rest as priority 1. clap.gif

If they do, they are incredibly shortsighted. There is no reason to think RG3 will not return to normal. Guys don't permanently lose their accuracy for no reason. If he doesn't regain his throwing mechanics and possibly even improve from where he was in his rookie season by preseason I will be shocked. This is not a guy who got lucky as a rookie then showed his true colors year 2. The real RG3 was the one with 67% completion and a variety of temporary issues set him back this year. If anybody thinks that Griffin has mysteriously lost all his mojo, I would love to hear the logic behind that opinion.

Alf could go from "good" to GREAT if he learned how to catch.  To get the most out of this offense, I would love to see him become a 3 down back with reliable hands out of the backfield.  If not, don't be surprised if we draft a RB this year in the mold of Gio B., or we see more of Roy Helu.  Offense became way too predictable when Alf was subbed out. 

I am glad Gruden quickly squashed any QB controversy. If Cousins ends up our starter one day, it will happen all on it's own.

Mike went as far out of his way to create a controversy as he could - resorting to deactivation of all things. It failed, and Gruden put it to rest as priority 1. clap.gif

Drama free, man. 

Kirk Cousins is a good back up...nothing more, nothing less.  The fact that Shanahan tried to manipulate the situation to be more than that was extremely disappointing.  I'm glad he's gone. 

Gruden got a lot out of a very limited Andy Dalton.  I think this pairing of him and RG3 is going to be fun to watch.  Both parties have to be excited about the prospects going forward. 

Not sure I agree that the Bengals "preferred" a receiving running back. Numbers show

In 2013 the Bengals rushed Benjarvus Green-Ellis 220 times all season. He only caught 4 receptions

In 2013 the Bengals rushed Giovanni Bernard 170 times all season. He also contributed 56 receptions on the year

That Lawfirm had 50 more carries then Gio did. That 220 carries was 58 carries less then he had with them the previous year and part of me thinks that had a lot to do with Lawfirm not being as productive as he used to be. I think what we will see is Morris being used as the primary back with more Helu mixed in as the receiving back this year.

Morris & Helu > Law Firm and Gio imo

I don't forsee that Morris is going to learn how to catch the football all of a sudden and I also think that he won't be be used as a 20+ carry a game RB in this offense. It's going to be more of a 60-40 split and RBBC approach which is the norm in the NFL these days

"If he doesn't like a play, I'm not going to call the play"

Great. Further proof that RGMe is running things. He probably went to Dan Snyder and told him to ask Jay to say that. This is disgusting. This franchise is a joke. Lets all jump off a cliff. 

lulz

Not sure I agree that the Bengals "preferred" a receiving running back. Numbers show

In 2013 the Bengals rushed Benjarvus Green-Ellis 220 times all season. He only caught 4 receptions

In 2013 the Bengals rushed Giovanni Bernard 170 times all season. He also contributed 56 receptions on the year

56 receptions is a pretty fair amount. BJGE had more touches because Gio wasn't a big part of the offense the first few weeks, BJGE gets short yardage work, and many of Gio's touches came in the form of those 56 receptions (on 75 targets). There is no doubt who the preferred back was outside of the red zone. That doesn't mean Gruden doesn't like his power back, clearly he does, and maybe he will ditch the whole receiving back concept since we don't have one. But Bernard was very successful in his role. If we get the right guy for it, I would love to see it.

"If he doesn't like a play, I'm not going to call the play"

Great. Further proof that RGMe is running things. 

You are wildly misinterpreting that quote. He didn't mean that the quarterback gets to **** and complain. He meant that if the quarterback's skills are not suited for a play and he has trouble executing it, he will not make it part of the offense. His quote essentially translates to "quarterback friendly playcalling." That's nothing new or unusual in the NFL.

You are wildly misinterpreting that quote. He didn't mean that the quarterback gets to **** and complain. He meant that if the quarterback's skills are not suited for a play and he has trouble executing it, he will not make it part of the offense. His quote essentially translates to "quarterback friendly playcalling." That's nothing new or unusual in the NFL.

science-sarcasm-Professor-Frink-Comic-Bo

Archived