Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gruden committed to Griffin, will have diverse playbook

brandymac27

Everybody relax. Gruden has watched film of RG3 to see what he's doing schematically. But he probably hasn't watched him to see what he's doing wrong, and hasn't analyzed him to figure out what he would do to improve him as a QB. Why would he? He was not RG3's coach.

Why would Jay Gruden take a bunch of time to watch film on a quarterback when they weren't looking for one and were picking in a spot where the quarterback in question had approximately the same chance of falling as my entire body has of quantum tunneling into Summer Glau's bedroom?

Sure maybe one of the scouts spent a little bit of time watching but I doubt much, and not enough to waste the OC's time on. 

Maybe because thats what teams do? It would be irresponsible of the offensive coordinator not to watch film on available offensive talent in case the Head Coach decides he doesn't like who or what he had at any given position, even QB. Sometimes teams decide they can't pass on certain players. Its just due diligence, the same as when the Redskins watch film on guys who will be #1 picks like Cam Newton even if they don't have the first overall pick. 

Not to mention offensive coaches tend to watch film on a lot of other teams to see what the NFL as a whole tends to be doing. I think it'd be surprising if he hasn't seen some film on RGIII.

Of course Jay has watched film of Griffin.

I bet Jay spoke to Zimmer and other Bengals staff about game planning for him.

I bet Jay spoke to John about Griffin.

But has he broken down film of every throw like Caldwell did? No he was busy being an offensive coordinator for a playoff team.

Has he been breaking down film of every pass Robert has thrown and talking about what plays concepts were successdul with with McVay and Bobby Turner? Without a doubt.

Question is why would one think that the relationship would end up rocky?

Shanny has a personality and style on the other end of the spectrum compared to Gruden. This is obvious all ready by Gruden saying he will listen to his QB's and take their input. You see to be a great leader you have to also know how to follow. I think the fact Gruden is a younger guy and played the position at a higher level he understands it from a number of angles. Who would know better what the challenges of a QB are than him, he probably approaches it from the way he would have liked to been coached as a QB.

I want to see all the positives and the upside to having actually played the position can help a lot but pump the brakes on his QB experience translating to RG3's success. Both mike Shanahan and Jim zorn were Qb's in their respective generations but for our purposes didn't translate to the starting QB on our team. I think the critical part is how jay relates to him while still providing the numbers to keep Robert in center.

While his initial press conference wasn't bad, I did hear a Zorn line of not too high and not too low. That worried me a bit. I do give him credit for putting down at all cost the who gives a crap about last year questions. Shame on the media his first presser taking it straight to the toilet almost immediately. While this threads about RG3 I just wanted to say the media in DC run a fine line between getting the most pertinent questions out there and being a bunch of bloodsuckers. I live in NY the most intense media outlet in the world and even most not all but most have certain degree of professionalism.

A

Dude, he was JUST HIRED. Are you saying he should have been breaking down film of a quarterback who was on a completely different team while he was also coaching his own team and trying to get them into the playoffs? You realize how silly that sounds?

Well as part of preparing for the interview here I would think Gruden would have watched film of every throw RGIII made this year and last year and maybe some College tape as well. A big part of his pitch in the interview would have been around how he plans to develop RGIII and what he feels was wrong this year. Thats how I would have approached it anyway.

I recall reading Caldwell had broken down every RGIII pass this year as part of his interview preparation.

Well as part of preparing for the interview here I would think Gruden would have watched film of every throw RGIII made this year and last year and maybe some College tape as well. A big part of his pitch in the interview would have been around how he plans to develop RGIII and what he feels was wrong this year. Thats how I would have approached it anyway.

I recall reading Caldwell had broken down every RGIII pass this year as part of his interview preparation.

Except Gruden interviewed like 2 days after their playoff loss. He didn't have the luxury of time that Caldwell did to prepare.

Except Gruden interviewed like 2 days after their playoff loss. He didn't have the luxury of time that Caldwell did to prepare.

I would have called the Redskins for a digital cut up of every RGIII throw - they could have e-mailed me that. The whole tape would have been a few hours long, its not like I would have had to sit down and watch 32 games. They can sort plays on these digital files by down and distance, formation, etc etc. Then I would have spent most of a day going through and breaking it down.

Thats what coaches do. Its a grind and long hours.

He named RG3 as starter.  For all we know, that was to put Robert's mind at ease over his starting role.  It is always subject to change between now and the beginning of the season.

Let's try not to dissect every word that comes out of this organization for the next 3 months.  Players, coaches, etc.

My worst fear not quite confirmed, but heavily implied - starting RG3 was an implicit condition for obtaining the coaching job.

Our new head coach's first big move is to say that even though he hasn't studied either QB, he's gonna go ahead and name the starter anyway.

He could have at least covered it up, saying that after a thorough analysis it was clear to him that RG3 was the better fit for his scheme.  When he named Griffin the starter in his opening press conference, that already was a big enough gaffe that it narrowed things down to 3 possibilities:

My golden retriever knows that Robert Griffin III is the Redskins starting quarterback.

I don't like the West Coast Offense, so I'm glad he has a diverse playbook and isn't pigeon-holing it by "installing" a WCO and expecting players built for something else to adapt.  Clearly, Morris is effective as a ZBS runner, it's unknown how he'll do in a conventional running attack... but I expect Gruden to do the things that worked the past two seasons, and avoid things that did not work... as well as incorporate things that he thinks might work with the personel

I'm more curious about Alfred Morris. They seemed to prefer receiving backs in Cincinatti. Can it be that hard to teach Morris how to catch? (and block)

Morris can catch (i have seen him do it) and as for blocking maybe we should hire a running back who can block, to teach him, Running Backs are smaller in height than OL players and perhaps they need to use a different way of blocking, we have had RB's in the past who were very good blockers, one in particulare appeared to love blocking and wasnt always beaten,

Morris can catch (i have seen him do it) and as for blocking maybe we should hire a running back who can block, to teach him, Running Backs are smaller in height than OL players and perhaps they need to use a different way of blocking, we have had RB's in the past who were very good blockers, one in particulare appeared to love blocking and wasnt always beaten,

If you end up with a back blocking a defensive lineman one on one in pass protection something is wrong with your blocking scheme or execution. Typically you will have a back block a linebacker or pick up a blitzing DB if it's a one on one block you are asking them to execute.

He could have at least covered it up, saying that after a thorough analysis it was clear to him that RG3 was the better fit for his scheme.  When he named Griffin the starter in his opening press conference, that already was a big enough gaffe that it narrowed things down to 3 possibilities:

What makes you think he didn't watch any film on RG3? 

He said in his first day interviews that he shows film of Garcon to Green on how to be an WR. Do you think that in his watching this film, he just blocks out the parts containing RG3? Or do you think that he only watches Garcon film from his days in Indy where they didn't need him to play violent and run block, which are the things that Gruden was saying that Garcon does so well and he wishes his WRs in Cincy could do better. He already stated why he wants RG3 to be the started, named all the qualities he likes about RG3. Said what he expects of his starting QB. Said he wants to build a relationship with him. 

I guess you just ignore all that, right. According to you, he doesn't even need to watch film right, all he needs to know is that RG3 got "blown out" every time he threw 38+ passes, and that should be enough to cut him on the spot, right?

Of course Jay has watched film of Griffin.

I bet Jay spoke to Zimmer and other Bengals staff about game planning for him.

I bet Jay spoke to John about Griffin.

But has he broken down film of every throw like Caldwell did? No he was busy being an offensive coordinator for a playoff team.

Has he been breaking down film of every pass Robert has thrown and talking about what plays concepts were successdul with with McVay and Bobby Turner? Without a doubt.

Yeah. I mean, Gruden did play against Griffin last year. He certainly got a chance to see how effeective RG3 can be in our offense. Its not like this is a college kid from an known university that doesn't get their games recorded or anything.  Some people just like to create controversy. 

Archived