Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Great post, GH!!!!

Unfortunately, I'm a little ADHD tonight, with the Cowboys-Eagles game on whilst I read through the boards. Could you tell me: in Briles' offense, would Griffin need to get better at going through his progressions than what he has shown so far? Maybe he did it successfully at Baylor, but NFL defenses are tougher to beat and are quicker to the QB than college defenses. If Griffin has 4 or 5 receivers go through on each play, I would think he'd better get faster at doing it.

Last year, the read-option threat and Griffin's speed was enough to make defenses hesitate, allowing our offense to have the advantage. But this season, with the knee injury/brace/etc, as well as most defenses becoming more disciplined against the read-option, Griffin seemed indecisive and took a lot of hits because of it.  

Also, I would assume Coach Briles would have to overhaul our porous and lightweight offensive line, yes? Griff needs guys who are going to give him an extra second or two to survey his options.

I'm not going to do much research on Briles for now, because I think the drama side of things in DC may make bringing him a lot less likely. But I won't automatically think he couldn't be successful over time. I'll do a lot more research if he is indeed hired so I know what to expect next season.

Lastly, what kind of defense would he prefer? Does he like the 4-3 or the 3-4. I know he wouldn't be running the D, but I would assume he'd hire a coordinator based on what his preference is.

Great post, GH!!!!

Unfortunately, I'm a little ADHD tonight, with the Cowboys-Eagles game on whilst I read through the boards. Could you tell me: in Briles' offense, would Griffin need to get better at going through his progressions than what he has shown so far? Maybe he did it successfully at Baylor, but NFL defenses are tougher to beat and are quicker to the QB than college defenses. If Griffin has 4 or 5 receivers go through on each play, I would think he'd better get faster at doing it.

From what I understand is that its a much different type of progression of reads than a tradition 1 2 3 4 5. Its more of a "Ok there is a number 50 instead of a DB out there on my WR to the left. There is 1 on 1 match up to my right. 6 man box. I can hand it off or see if the safety covers  the 1v1 on the right off the snap and hit the streaking WR covered by a LB."

Redskins love names. Its pathetic.Why cant we just find a great coach and not a great name. This is a big reason why we dont win, the owner is a fan and does what we woudld do.Find the next great coach, not the great name.

What a bunch of incoherent babbling. Obviously anyone who wants Briles thinks he IS possibly the next great coach. They don't want him because he's Briles, they want him for his qualities as a coach. As this thread fully details.

But you keep throwing out generic arguments that don't even make sense.

Great info in this thread. Admittedly, I've never watched baylor play. The most baylor I've ever seen is RG3 highlights. But I will watch baylor's bowl game to see his team in action.

I do like what I see so far though. I'm sitting on the fence about Briles because of the perception that the hire will bring, and the National media will eat him and the Skins alive if it fails.

It might just be crazy enough to work.

Or, it might just be ****ing crazy.

It WAS an ESPN piece I'd caught on the way Briles practices: 

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/10848-video-watch-how-art-briles-runs-a-practice-at-baylor

That gives you a feel for the uptempo way he goes about things. You don't execute a play right? No problem. It doesn't always go right in games either. Move the line up and go again. Mistakes can be rectified in the classroom. 

Practice how you play!

How could you NOT buy into this guy as a player?

Hail. 

My point is you don't base your hire on a system guy. Find a Leader who will coach the entire team. On offense I want someone like Sean Payton who has shown he can take the pieces he has and create a game plan that works best for them. Then you can build an offensive game plan that is agile and adaptable to what the defense throws at you.

You have no point and you do a poor job of presenting it if you do. I only see you chasing your tail around in this thread with double talk while making crazy statements that show you don't know what you're talking about imo.

You wouldn't  have posted the quoted  text if you really knew anything about Briles style as a leader & a coach.

Great post, GH!!!!

Thanks man. 

I think most of your points have been well covered in the OP and by others throughout the thread, but I'll answer in more detail tomorrow. Only still awake as I wanted to see the end of the Cowboys game. 

As for the defense down in Waco, which hasn't been addressed, like most schools to combat the spread they run more or less a 4-2-5, with a mesh of 34 looks. I remember reading somewhere they spent time with the Steelers looking at their 34 to see what they could incorporate but i can't seem to find it right now as tiredness sets in. Not that it really makes a great deal of difference as it's not his bag, but he's on or wavelength defensively too. 

Hail. 

How could you NOT buy into this guy as a player?

Great stuff man, keeping bringing it. This thread/OP is fantastic, it just sucks that so many want to dismiss it without looking at what you and many others have provided to help educate them.

This is a man we should all be able to get behind to represent our favorite team both on the field and as a man of high character. If he hadn't coached RG3 this wouldn't be a problem for people. The point is he is an extremely well qualified candidate and that should be all that matters.

What a bunch of incoherent babbling. Obviously anyone who wants Briles thinks he IS possibly the next great coach. They don't want him because he's Briles, they want him for his qualities as a coach. As this thread fully details.

But you keep throwing out generic arguments that don't even make sense.

incoherent enough that you understood and replied to the points in my post? Poor effort at a put down, friend.

I cant imagine an offense like that working in the NFL, but this is what we want as fans here. We want high scoring and names.

We should really focus our attention on who is that hungry assistant coach that is ready to step up over lusting after college coaches and HOF coaches, but this is what an influential chunk of fanbase seems to love.

incoherent enough that you understood and replied to the points in my post? Poor effort at a put down, friend.

I cant imagine an offense like that working in the NFL, but this is what we want as fans here. We want high scoring and names.

We should really focus our attention on who is that hungry assistant coach that is ready to step up over lusting after college coaches and HOF coaches, but this is what an influential chunk of fanbase seems to love.

It's already working in the NFL.  The point of this thread is to articulate in a plain manner why Art Briles is a great candidate for the job. I don't know if we'll hire him or not, but he is certainly worthy of consideration.

And who are these young, hungry, no name coaches that you speak of?   I'm sure if you would provide a list for us, we could analyze their pros and cons, schemes, and discuss them in a civil and educated manner.  

I might be a part of the fanbase that you're describing, but I know enough not to kick dirt on those that provide info/posts that make this site worth viewing.  

And hats off to GHH for a great read.  Just when I was starting to think he was illiterate and mildly insane. :)

Didn't realize this until just now:

@MoveTheSticks: NFC playoff field looks like a PAC12 reunion. #PeteCarroll #JimHarbaugh #ChipKelly

I think college coaches can handle the NFL.

I do agree about Harbaugh but not for the others. Carroll's is not a beginner such as Jim, he was the HC of the Jets.

"he was later considered a much better fit for college football than the NFL after his success at USC" (33-31 NFL record). He also has a past (Cushing, Matthews) and current links to PEDs: Seahawks' lead in PED bans under Carroll.

Kelly has just one year of good NFL coaching, we will see next year if he fits in the mold of Harbaugh.

I'm sorry but we've been down this road for me to not take a negative approach. The man is 58 years old with 9 years of college experience. 4 with university of Houston. Baylor only became relevant during/after RG3's tenure.

First he's old. We need youth. He's imo to old to change to nfl leveled coaching.

Second what will he bring along to change rg3 to a over the hump nfl styled QB??? Last time I checked you need nfl experience to help develop someone to the nfl ranks.

Again IMO his play book could be at best a trend. I for one would like to see if a chip Kelly can sustain his success. Let's see how the Feagles do after everyone gets a year of game tape. First year play books always look better than they appear over the long haul. Read option, wildcat, fun n gun, etc.

I don't have the answer but what I do know we will never after this coming firing get top tier talent to coach. Snyders love as a fan for his team has been our and his demise. I feel we are in the same boat now as the raiders, browns as for potential coaching opportunities.

Oh and great write up. Your passion is unquestioned. Hail!

Redskins love names. Its pathetic.

Why cant we just find a great coach and not a great name. This is a big reason why we dont win, the owner is a fan and does what we woudld do.

Find the next great coach, not the great name.

Agreed,..completely.

Do I believe the Skins have talked to Briles,...probably.  Do I believe he will be the next HC,...no.  And I've already made my feeling clear on that possibility.  It's time for Dan to grow up and be an adult owner in the league.

I have posted numerous times I would like Art Briles as HC going back to last season. His age of 58 is really not a concern, I really don't see how many HC's 20 years his junior could have acquired the football knowledge that he has.

Pros:

Innovation: Just a few points I will touch base on: Considered the Father of the Spread Option, runs the purist form of the spread option, makes things simple for the QB. His belief is the QB already has the hardest job on the field, so he simplified the QBs responsibilities. He doesn't want his QB thinking too much but rather the QB making quick reads, and being more instinctive.

Adaptability: Game plans and schemes to the players strengths, instead of square pegging round holing players

Motivated: A man with something to prove, not a retread with multiple Super Bowl Rings

Leader of men: Watch any of his interviews, or pre game speeches

Wants a GM!!! This is what many of us have been screaming for.

I could go on and on, but I have done my homework that so many have refused to do and basically rebuff the notion that Art Briles is a good candidate for the job. I would like to have Art as HC, even without the benefit of already having a QB that knows his system. It would be a shame and a mistake if he wasn't hired on the sole reason of media perception. The franchise can not be intimidated by the media.

If we do not hire Art Briles I surely hope it is someone else that plans on utilizing a ton of spread option concepts. I firmly believe it is the future of NFL offenses. It uses a lot of NFL rules to its advantage.

hail

As for the defense down in Waco, which hasn't been addressed, like most schools to combat the spread they run more or less a 4-2-5, with a mesh of 34 looks. I remember reading somewhere they spent time with the Steelers looking at their 34 to see what they could incorporate but i can't seem to find it right now as tiredness sets in. Not that it really makes a great deal of difference as it's not his bag, but he's on or wavelength defensively too. 

Hail. 

Here is some info on Baylor's defense:

Baylor's defense improved by double, sometimes triple, digits in every categories except interceptions.  Once one of the two worst defenses in the country by total defense, now the Bears were in the top 20.  They were also in the top 25 against both the pass and the run.  If you spend enough time looking at the "change" portion of this chart, it might actually make you crazy.  I'd upload a pretty graph if I wanted all your heads to explode simultaneously.  I might still do that.

It's truly astounding how much Baylor was able to improve in some of these areas, including plays over 10 yards allowed, tackles for loss, and first downs allowed.  Sure, the 2012 numbers were drawn out over 13 games versus just 12 this year, but the point remains.  In the normalized stats like total, rushing, passing, red zone, and third down defense, the improvement is simply undeniable.  We saw last year what happens when a good offense has to constantly overcome a bad defense.

Link:http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-football/2013/12/18/5226364/the-tremendous-improvement-of-baylors-defense-in-2013

From ESPN... 

How bad was Baylor before Briles?

Before Art Briles coached his first game at Baylor, he was asked why he took a job that no one else wanted.

"I like to walk down paths nobody else wants to walk down," Briles said before the 2008 season. "I want pioneers. I want people that are not afraid to step out there and go. It's easy to walk down a path that's clear and pristine and you know it's just perfect. Our path's not that way."

The No. 6 Bears' improbable path from Big 12 cellar dwellers to champions culminates with their first BCS bowl game, against No. 15 Central Florida in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on New Year's Day.

After inheriting a program that had endured 12 consecutive losing seasons, Briles guided the Bears to a remarkable 11-1 record in his sixth year at the Texas school. After going 4-8 in each of his first two seasons, the Bears have been to four straight bowl games, going 29-9 the past three seasons.

"I've been coaching a long time," Briles said. "It's my first opportunity to play in a BCS game. These guys have never had that opportunity. Baylor has never been in that situation before. It is all new. Who knows when the next opportunity is going to come? When you have the opportunity to do something, you take full advantage of it."

How bad were the Bears before Briles left the University of Houston for Baylor in November 2007? Consider these numbers:

• Baylor was a graveyard for coaches. Briles' predecessor, Guy Morriss, went 7-33 in Big 12 play. Morriss' predecessor, Kevin Steele, went 1-31. Steele's predecessor, Dave Roberts, went 2-14. The Bears also fired Chuck Reedy after legendary coach Grant Teaff retired following the 1992 season.

Read More:http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls13/story/_/id/10204960/examining-just-how-bad-baylor-was-art-briles-rebuilt-bears

Before Art Briles coached his first game at Baylor, he was asked why he took a job that no one else wanted.

"I like to walk down paths nobody else wants to walk down," Briles said before the 2008 season. "I want pioneers. I want people that are not afraid to step out there and go. It's easy to walk down a path that's clear and pristine and you know it's just perfect. Our path's not that way."

Sounds like Washington would be the ideal place for him to set up camp.

GHH You said you've been watching for 30 years.  I've been playing and coaching for over 30 years.  And as someone who actually runs some of the spread concepts I think I have a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses than someone who's just watched it.

1.  To make Art's Offense work in the NFL he needs to overwhelm defenses with receivers that can win 1v1.  Art had Josh Gordon, Kendall Wright, and Terrance Williams.  All three have proven they can play at a high level in the NFL.  If you and LL (and his insider buddy Fred Davis) think it's easy to draft and find a plethora of players like that then where the hell have you been for years when the Redskins have failed time and time again to draft just one Wide Receiver that can be a big impact!? (Hank can't stay healthy and PG was a Free Agent)  Art can recruit but can he draft?

2.  The QB in Spread and Air Raid concept will have to run when teams drop 7 in coverage.  That exposes him to contact out of the pocket.  Hell, even Foles runs at times!  Also, if Art is always attacking Vertical and doesn't have the ability to teach his qb to do something as simple as sliding protection vs a basic overload blitz (such as vs KC when Robert couldn't do it but Kirk came in right away and did so) then how do you expect him to be able to teach his QB and Oline to scheme up vs all the myriad of blitzes and stunts he'd see in the NFL?  (Defenses that won't be limited to 20 hours a week as in college!) Which means your QB better be able to run or he's going to be getting hit in the mouth every other throw.  Every hit like that adds up.  You guys are smoking crack if you think Art's going to be able to go with a 5 or even a 6 man protection scheme on a regular basis vs NFL type blitz Schemes.  Even if the blocking is good you can't be sure that a 4 or 5 man route combination will free someone up everytime vs man or some mixed coverage.  Which means the QB will have to scramble or at least avoid the sack by throwing it away.

3.  Pace of the game.  It's all well and good to think a team can just go pedal to the metal and operate at a high rate of tempo the entire game.  But everyone here forgets that Art and Kelly at Oregon were coaching young, college players who have the cardio and are able to recover faster than a Pro in his upper 20's to early 30's.  That fast pace is not sustainable.  Kelly even figured that out and has had to slow things down for his own guys to catch up this year; and almost cost him the game vs our Redskins twice.  In the NFL the season is more like being in the SEC than the Big 12.  Where EVERY team can beat you and has coaches that can coach and players that can play.  There are at least five more games as well; not counting pre season and OTA's.  The wear and tear on the bodies will take its toll and you'll end up with injuries to key players.

4.  There's no such thing as some magic system that is impossible to decipher.  As long as you can only field 11 players there's only so many ways they can line up.  There are only so many possibilities for a route or route concepts.  You might fool a team on how you run your mesh concept or your smash route or NCAA but those passing concepts will be recognized by a good defense and neutralized.  Then what?  Everyone has a system, tendencies, patterns, etc that a good defense will hone in on and stop.  Just look at how teams adjusted to and greatly limited our Offense, 49ers and the Seahawks.  You don't think they won't figure out how to stop Kelly's offense then you're delusional.  Hell, Stanford runs an NFL scheme and stopped Oregon cold this year.    And you guys think that NFL coordinators won't be able to do so?  Really?!?!

The bottom line for success comes down to playmakers.  The team with the most guys that can win 1v1 (whether on offense or defense) will usually come out on top.  Any decent OC that's not full of crap will tell you that it's all about finding ways to get your best players the ball.  I've been to see Rich Rod and every other Guru you can think of at Nike Coaching clinics and they all say the same thing.  Get your best players the ball.  That's how you win in football.  That's how Gibbs did it.  Who came in known for a great passing attack and decided to play smash mouth. I've coached eight city championships with players like Jerod Mayo with the Patriots, Tyrod Taylor, Both Adibis who played at Va Tech, etc.  I've coached in the 757 for over 30 years and I've seen some really good football.  I like the spread concepts for High School and even college.  It's easy to teach and execute.  But also easy to defend once you figure out who the playmakers are.  Make the offense get the ball to less talented players and take your chances.  Send pressure with different looks and make the QB move his feet and run.  Last year it worked because RG III was a threat running.  This year he wasn't and the offense went to hell. 

Johnny Manziel probably runs the Air Raid concept better than anybody.  How many championships does Texas A&M have?  Not even an SEC championship.  Chip Kelly's Eagles haven't won a playoff game yet.  And you guys can't wait to point to him and declare success!  Sure, you can blend in some spread concepts.  Patriots do that very well.  As does New Orleans.  But how many super bowls have the Patriot's won without a running game?  None! 

If Art Briles comes to Washington he better bring Gordon, Jenkins and Williams with him.  And even then it would be tough.  Hell, the players we have can't get open vs the sorry cowboys defenders when they go man.  In order to pass someone has to be open.  Without superior talent at the receiver position a spread only system will not work in the NFL.  And with the salary cap and equity in the NFL draft good luck acheiving that!

Man with all due respect, your post/reply fails in so many different areas, it's almost  impossible to say anything to it. 

First and foremost, GHH started a fantastic thread and supported it with sound documentation etc etc in his opening OP. It was probably the best post I've ever  read on ES. 

If you're a coach and this is your explanation/reply  to what GHH has posted then God Bless you and the team you coach.

But you do understand that Chip Kelly IS a success by getting to the playoffs his first year alone, right? Shanny did once in 4 years here in Washiington and once in 14 years since Denver.

You also understand that the Patriots won 3 Superbowls WITHOUT what you're saying Briles system NEEDS to be successful in the NFL, right? That's all............ :)

It can be stopped and will be. Just look at history. The spread even goes back to some concepts of the run and shoot. No NFL team has won a Super Bowl just by out scoring everyone with a spread, fast paced offense. The Rams had Faulk doing serious work at RB. The Rams also had a good defense and special teams. The spread system is very dependent on having a very talented corps of receivers (which the Redskins don't have) and is hard to get and keep in today's NFL with so much competition and the salary cap.

My point is you don't base your hire on a system guy. Find a Leader who will coach the entire team. On offense I want someone like Sean Payton who has shown he can take the pieces he has and create a game plan that works best for them. Then you can build an offensive game plan that is agile and adaptable to what the defense throws at you.

You don't have a point. And appear to be very ignorant about Briles.

I'm gonna try not to waste anymore time on your posts. Your posts are self-contradictory and  filled with empty platitudes (duh all offenses require talented WRs that can win 1 vs 1) and for as experienced coach as you claim to be there are egrgious football miconceptions/mistakes or fabrications.

One post you down Briles and Kelly for their concepts the next post you say they're obviously good. You down the spread as an offense but neither Briles nor Kelly are just spread teams and your whole point is moot because the spread isn't even an offense. Then you claim Briles could be a good coach but just wouldn't work out here...

Briles could be another Joe Gibbs but he'd never get a fair shot in DC. I think he might have a better chance of success with Houston.

Didn't realize this until just now:

@MoveTheSticks: NFC playoff field looks like a PAC12 reunion. #PeteCarroll #JimHarbaugh #ChipKelly

I think college coaches can handle the NFL.

interesting point.. I hadn't realized that either.

Makes a strong case for college coaches being able to coach in the NFL.

Although Carroll and Harbaugh rolled into stacked defenses.

Man with all due respect, your post/reply fails in so many different areas, it's almost  impossible to say anything to it. 

First and foremost, GHH started a fantastic thread and supported it with sound documentation etc etc in his opening OP. It was probably the best post I've ever  read on ES. 

Wow RED man. Thank you greatly. That truly blows me away. I think you're overly flattering the thread and in so doing are making me feel tremendously humble to the point that I'm not sure I deserve the praise; but that is greatly appreciated. There's NO bigger compliment to know your thoughts and efforts are appreciated from your peers. 

As to your response, I tried to be as diplomatic as I possibly could in my response. I don't know thomas and don't want to diss his coaching within the game. I'm sure he works his ass off and knows more about certain aspects of football that I never will. But you can't cut it ANY differently from the way yourself and others have. His, shall we say, 'misunderstanding' of not only spread concepts in general; but in particular what Briles has put together at Baylor is cringeworthy in it's inaccuracies by the post despite the multitude of clear explanations from the OP right through the thread. 

thomas man, your SO far off base with your responses your not even in the same State as the topic at hand, let alone zip code. 

Hail. 

Archived