Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: Physicists probe urination 'splashback' problem

China

Physicists probe urination 'splashback' problem

US physicists have studied the fluid dynamics of urine "splashback" - and found tips to help men and women with their accuracy and hygiene.

Using high-speed cameras, the team filmed jets of liquid striking toilet walls and studied the resulting spray.

Splashback was low when the jets were used close up with a narrow "angle of attack", said the Brigham Young University team.

They will present their research at an American Physical Society meeting.

"In response to harsh and repeated criticisms from our mothers and several failed relationships with women, we present the splash dynamics of a simulated human male urine stream," reads their conference abstract.

But there is a more serious side to the research.

The work is led by Prof Tadd Truscott and Randy Hurd of the "Splash Lab" at Brigham Young in Provo, Utah, who jokingly refer to themselves as "wizz kids".

"People ask me, are you serious? I tell them yes, this may involve 12-year-old humour, but it's also a real problem," Prof Truscott told BBC News.

"We've all been in disgusting toilets with puddles on the floor - these places are a breeding ground for bacteria."

For example, the detergents used to clean hospital toilets could actually increase the spray of disease-causing bacteria, by reducing the surface tension of water, according to a recent study.

Click on the link for the full article

US Physicists Spend Money On Stupid Study To Ensure Funding Levels For Next Year.

The group claims to have also discovered that eating stops feeling of hunger.

~Bang

At one point, I had a magazine, published by National Lampoon. A satire issue of People magazine.

One of their cover headlines was "Scientists reveal why people fear murderers"

Archived