Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we be rooting for the No. 1 pick?

michiskin

Yes, I know we don't have our first round draft pick next spring, but should we still be rooting to get the No. 1 overall pick?

That would give us the scenario where we pick no. 1 in the second round. Of course the overnight waiting period before the end of the first round and the first pick in the second round gives ample opportunity to get on the horn and see what kind of deals we could make. Perhaps someone would covet that pick?

So... should we be rooting to finish out 3-13 and possibly get the No. 1 overall pick? 

On the plus side, we wouldn't have to face St. Louis every year in all likelihood, so we wouldn't have to face this impact player (Bridgewater, Clowney, etc.) on a regular basis. On the negative side, this ensures we go 0-6 in the division, which would suck.

My apologies if this has already come up and been discussed ad nauseum.

maybe the Skins secretly included language where if they get the top pick they get to keep it

Why can't NFL teams do that?  They can base draft picks on individual performance, why not team stats?  Wish they could like the NBA does

I'll never root for us to lose.  No matter the circumstance.  That's just me.

what if us winning gives the Cowboys a first round bye in the playoffs?

I've never heard of a team who traded away a future #1 overall pick before, the last thing I want to be is the highlight of that conversation.

Ya, that would suck. But at least its not the Buccaneers using the No. 1 overall pick and that player never suiting up for them (Bo Jackson).

I *HATE* this attitude.

If we would've ****ing lost out in 2011, then we wouldn't have had to trade for RGIII.

Now we have two years of no picks.  Yeah, those meaningless wins really helped out long-term.

I *HATE* this attitude.

If we would've ****ing lost out in 2011, then we wouldn't have had to trade for RGIII.

Now we have two years of no picks.  Yeah, those meaningless wins really helped out long-term.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.  "Hate" is an awfully strong word though.

I wasn't asking anyone to agree with my position.  Just sharing what my position was.  I root for my team to win.

EDIT:  So out of curiosity, during todays game when we got close to scoring the tying touchdown, were you hoping for another turnover?  Just curious how that works?

I *HATE* this attitude.

Yeah thank God we got those last couple wins in. That type of mindset displays no foresight or big picture thinking at all. We could have Griffin and 3 more picks lol.

Sometimes you need to loose a battle in order to win the war. Make one step backwards short term in order to make a few forward in the long run. The Colts did it in a heart beat.

I wasn't asking anyone to agree with my position.  Just sharing what my position was.  I root for my team to win.

I said I hate the attitude, not you.  It's not personal.  Rooting for your team to win now in order to lose later, though, does that make sense?

And yeah, I know the gravity of using such a word, and I still mean it.

Yeah thank God we got those last couple wins in. That type of mindset displays no foresight or big picture thinking at all. We could have Griffin and 3 more picks lol.

I expect the players and coaches to try to win. That's why they get a paycheck.

It just wouldn't bother me THAT much if we lose out. I'm numb to it at this point in the season and it could help us for next year. If we could pick up some extra picks for that first pick in the second round we need to do it. There is so much need on this roster.

I said I hate the attitude, not you.  It's not personal.  Rooting for your team to win now in order to lose later, though, does that make sense?

And yeah, I know the gravity of using such a word, and I still mean it.

Never thought it was personal. 

Anyways, I edited my earlier post to add a question.  I'd like to see your answer to the question.

I *HATE* this attitude.

No picks is a little exaggeration. We still had 7 picks last season and 6 in 2014. We also had about 10 in 2012.

Not the 2nd rounder, but Kirk and the first pick in the 3rd could be enough for us to land a low 1st round pick

That's assuming Cousins trade value is fairly high. On top of that, chances are that a team picking late in the round probably don't have any glaring needs at QB.

That's assuming Cousins trade value is fairly high. On top of that, chances are that a team picking late in the round probably don't have any glaring needs at QB.

Chicago is leading the NFC north and has two FA QBs.  Looking at standings quite a few teams have worse records than the Arizona Cardinals and Carson Palmer isn't a long term answer

if we had lost out Mara would have talked Goodell into taking picks too.

Although that might have been the breaking point to push Snyder to sue

No picks is a little exaggeration. We still had 7 picks last season and 6 in 2014. We also had about 10 in 2012.

Didn't think that I would have to clarify that I meant first-round picks, but I guess that's my mistake?

EDIT:  So out of curiosity, during todays game when we got close to scoring the tying touchdown, were you hoping for another turnover?  Just curious how that works?

Ah, I see where your confusion is.  I meant that I hate that "no matter what" attitude as though it means that us winning a single game is more important than the future.  Same **** goes on with cheering for Dallas.  If Dallas winning helps us in a playoff run, then you're G-damn right I'm going to cheer my ass off for them.

I couldn't care less about this year's draft pick. I was referring to the dumbass, high-and-mighty attitude that some posters that I really respect had back in 2011.  Those of us who were whiffin' for Griffin were called traitors or fake fans when all we wanted was a real quarterback and not to beat whoever the **** we were playing those last few weeks who, like I said two years ago, we wouldn't even remember.  Pissed me off then, pisses me off now.

I wouldn't mind rooting for a situation where we get the #1 draft slot. --- as long as we were also able to beat Dallas and Mara's Giants!

We're going to get around a top-5 slot, but unfortunately it'll start for us only from Round 2 onward. While it might make a small difference on who's available when round 2 comes around, picking 1st or 3rd at that time probably won't be as big of a difference as compared to Round 1.

I'd LOVE it if the Skins could be the Grinch/spoilers of the Cowboys playoff hopes, and would also stick it to Mara's Giants in their own stadium during the Christmas season. ...EVEN at the risk of not being able to get some hot-shot candidate who happened to slide into the early second round. (Just imagine the fun Skins fans could have with spin offs of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' On forums discussing the Cowboy's latest December swoon!)

Archived