Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24/7: Mike Shanahan's brilliant last act as Redskins coach; making everyone forget he sucked

Boss_Hogg

I've probably posted this in a dozen threads over the years, but Snyder has been following the same pattern since he bought the team, alternating between giving an unproven offensive coach the HC job, undercutting him when things go south, then hiring an established (retread) coach and ceding full control...at which point everybody's saying "Snyder has learned from his mistakes." ...even though he's following the same routine.

Robiskie =>Schotferbrains gets total control

Spurrier=>Gibbs gets total control

Zorno=>Shanny w/total control

<Fill in name of unqualified OC here>

Don't try and tell me Snyder has learned a damn thing until he hires a quality GM (not Vinny or Bruce) and then lets that person hire the coach and pick the players.

Shanahan's failures were entirely predictable if you'd carefully reviewed his tenure in Denver. One playoff win since 98, and people thought this guy was the franchise messiah?

(I was also unaware that Snyder had moved his office out of Redskin Park, apparently per Shanny's request.)

Apparently, a lot of people are unaware of this including me. On the post game last night, when asked if he owned the Redskins what he would do, Brian Mitchell said he would move his office outside of Redskins park so players aren't tempted to walk into it if any issues with the coach. So I guess he doesn't even know this or the article is incorrect. 

Take it FWIW...

Dan Brown ‏@LtDan87 14m

Mike Shanahan WILL be FIRED today. Heard it straight from the mouth with someone who works with the Redskins @AdamSchefter

If its from Adam Schefter he probably heard it straight from Shanahan himself .....

It would be the right thing to do. everyone knows Shanny is a dead man walking so firing him now is the way to go and get a head start on the search for the next coach. They probably make Haslett the interim HC - maybe if Haslett just gets a head set and leaves the play calling on defense to Morris that would not be the worst thing that could happen.

If its from Adam Schefter he probably heard it straight from Shanahan himself .....

It would be the right thing to do. everyone knows Shanny is a dead man walking so firing him now is the way to go and get a head start on the search for the next coach. They probably make Haslett the interim HC - maybe if Haslett just gets a head set and leaves the play calling on defense to Morris that would not be the worst thing that could happen.

I don't think the team could be any less prepared with Haslett running things than they were yesterday.

Kyle and Mike are not free of blame. Regardless, passing or running, RG3 was highly efficient last year. The system you are ****ting on enabled an MVP caliber season out of RG3. His accuracy, efficiency and yards per pass were off the charts in this system. That wasn't just RG3 being a great player, the coaches had a big play in him being that dynamic.

It's revisionist bull**** to discredit all of that. There is a role to be played by everyone in this mess. Those letting Snyder or RG3 off the hook are just as wrong as those who are pining everything on the Shanahans.

You have no proof at all that Dan has been meddling. 

Even if he was, Mike should be man enough to push back.  His ego alone makes me think he would not cave. 

If Dan did somehow force him to take RG3, maybe it was because he was growing concerned that Mike was never going to even draft a QB.  I was wondering why he at least wasn't trying to draft a long shot in the first 2 drafts.  As an owner, how long into a rebuild would you wait to ask your GM, when are you going to draft a QB?

The college system Kyle borrowed was solved exactly as many predicted, and Kyle was unable to evolve. RG3 was an MVP long before playing for Mike and Kyle. At the root of the failures on offense is Mike's predictable OL design, of which RG3 and Dan clearly had no say in its crafting. Mike prefers mobile light weight no namers and it bit him square in the ass and tanked the team this year as the decision was made to make RG3 continue to stand in the "pocket".

Dan didn't push for the 3-4. Dan sure as hell had no say in our "special" teams.

So with all three phases of the game failing this year, I conclusively pin them on Shanahan.

I can't believe that people are making the top boss completely irresponsible for all of this.

We **** about Shanahan hiring Haslett, but we don't **** about Snyder hiring Shanahan?  It's the same effing thing!

Snyder has failed us for coming on fourteen years now.  Some posters (who are blowing my mind with this kind of drivel coming from their usernames), are saying that Snyder has had rough luck?  **** that, Snyder IS the rough luck.  Two division championships in a decade and a half, and I'm supposed to lose a box of tissues to that?  **** that.

I live in the Philly area.  You know how many coaches they've had since Snyder took over?  Two.  How many division championships? Five.  NFC Championship appearances?  Four.  Super Bowl appearances?  One.  And now they're in the race for the division with their first-year head coach.

Sounds like the Ravens, too.

It's pathetic that people EVER try to defend Snyder or say, "Aw, at least he's trying!"  Downright pathetic.

Curious as to who you're referring to. Or if this is just a rant to rant :)

Not sure who NoExcuses wants?

A HOF Coach?  Gibbs?

A SB Coach?  Shanny?

A college rock star?  Spurrier?

A great NFL coach Shotty?

It's NOT WORKING.

I don't know if you are intentionally missing the point or just can't understand it (as usual). Dan Snyder's reputation was so shot that after Gibbs, no decent coach wanted to come to DC. He surrendered control to Shanny to get him here. Now it seems that another coach is leaving Snyder with a fractured relationship. He's going to have trouble hiring once again because this team has solidified its reputation as being coaching purgatory.

I don't want anyone. I don't think anyone with ambition will want to coach this team. I think Snyder's reputation is so bad that after Shanny it will take the sales pitch of the century to convince anyone credible to come here.

This team will need to hire someone desperate to prove themselves. Maybe that will be a good thing. Maybe we end up with Jim Zorn again. I just know that this team has officially become the butt of all NFL jokes. It's a ****ing failure.

I don't know if you are intentionally missing the point or just can't understand it (as usual). Dan Snyder's reputation was so shot that after Gibbs, no decent coach wanted to come to DC. He surrendered control to Shanny to get him here. Now it seems that another coach is leaving Snyder with a fractured relationship. He's going to have trouble hiring once again because this team has solidified its reputation as being coaching purgatory.

I don't want anyone. I don't think anyone with ambition will want to coach this team. I think Snyder's reputation is so bad that after Shanny it will take the sales pitch of the century to convince anyone credible to come here.

This team will need to hire someone desperate to prove themselves. Maybe that will be a good thing. Maybe we end up with Jim Zorn again. I just know that this team has officially become the butt of all NFL jokes. It's a ****ing failure.

Well we will see who is right now wont we?

We are doomed for a non credible coach, or money talks.  We will know soon enough :)

I always dismissed this but there's possibly something to it after all: Mike Shanahan has a losing record when Elway isn't his QB.

Also he didn't have full control of the Broncos until 1999. He has won one playoff game since becoming HC/GM of any franchise.

Another great reason for Danny to originally hire him huh?

If two playoff wins since 1999 is not an unmitigated failure, I don't know what is.

It's terrible, but it's still not as bad as a few other places.  Cleveland?  Buffalo?  Jacksonville (I'd have to look them up - they had a few good years in there)?  The Redskins aren't the only franchise that has struggled for the last 15 years.  The NFL isn't easy. 

If the team was smart, they would actually have a clause in his contract saying he can't coach another team before the full 5 years are up unless the Skins agree (and get something in return)

Yeah Shanahan doesn't deserve a free pass IMO

Ironically this brings back memories of Dan's threats to Laveranues Coles.  Didn't he threaten to keep him on the roster and sit him for an entire year? lol

we want someone to pick him up so dan will only have to pay the difference between his new contract and the 7 mill.

Yet 4 redskins count $25 mil against the cap. (Bowen, Moss, Morgan, and Wilson).

Fail.

Not mention that year after year, penalties or not, any and all potential cap issues are easily resolved by restructuring existing contracts as needed.  I think it was Trent most recently.

Nice try by a Cowboy fan to lobby that we keep him.

Shanny has had his chance and as it stands it is not working and we all know that. I watch each game and in my opinion it seems like he does not really care. The passion to win isnt there and that certainly resonates on to the players. I feel his time is done and we need to move onto someone with the will and passion to coach and love it in DC. 

Well we will see who is right now wont we?

We are doomed for a non credible coach, or money talks.  We will know soon enough :)

I hope money talks. But I have no ****ing idea who money will buy us. We have failed at every type of hire and I don't think it's been just bad luck. 

A lot of revealing stuff in there I wasn't aware of either. Shanny had too much control, and it led to terrible assistant coaches. Might even be the reason why Danny Smith left even after we won the division. Pitt is hometown, but leaving a winner for same position on another team, a team not that far away from here, that takes a lot.

"I feel I was sold a Bill of Rights about respect and culture and accountability, but that the head coach couldn’t be bothered to follow those ideas."

Best part of the article for me. What a mess. It is on Shanny. He was given the keys to the kingdom and instead of working his butt off to fix things he decides to leak BS to the media to try and deflect blame, and does so just before games. Ego is his rep and it's the kind of thing that can lead to such behavior. I'm still surprised by this, by what Shanny has done, but given the sources this stuff is true.

My hope is this leads to what the insiders rumored, that Morocco gets the GM nod, Bruce is above him, and that heirarchy will decide next HC and they'll all work together. No more giving the keys to one guy.

One can only hope that the insiders are right on - I'm tired of one guy having all the say, as well.

I hope that Mike and Kyle both get fired at the same time.

It became one for all and all for one when they came here.

Although the awkwardness of retaining Kyle after firing Mike would provide a little extra drama to spice up the rest of the season. Can you imagine the players all complaining about Mike and Kyle walking into the room. Shh shh here he comes.

I don't think the team could be any less prepared with Haslett running things than they were yesterday.

Quite. Although that bar is so low you could trip over it.

I say let Kyle run the show for the last 3 games.

Fire his Dad and then ask him to take his job? Awkward.

Archived