Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24/7: Mike Shanahan's brilliant last act as Redskins coach; making everyone forget he sucked

Boss_Hogg

http://httr24-7.com/blog/mike-shanahans-brilliant-last-act-as-redskins-coach-making-everyone-forget-he-sucked/

Another awesome read by our guy NCL

"Dan Snyder has given Mike Shanahan everything he wanted. Mike Shanahan told Dan Snyder not to hire him if he didn’t give him five years to turn things around. Dan Snyder gave him a 5 year contract. Mike Shanahan asked for total control, including the role of general manager. Dan gave it to him (despite the fact that the actual general manager Bruce Allen wasn’t totally sold on Shanahan). Dan gave him full control of the cap, full control of player acquisition. He built him a training bubble, remodeled Redskins Park, renovated the stadium, okayed the trade of three first round picks to secure a franchise quarterback."

Ugh.  I tried reading the article, but it turned into an emotional rant pretty quickly.  Shanahan is done here; I think that much is obvious.  But let's not act like he's the worst coach ever and is some kind of evil jerk who's never done anything right.  He deserves some blame, but there's failure at so many levels right now that it's impossible to pin it all on one guy.

Ugh. I tried reading the article, but it turned into an emotional rant pretty quickly. Shanahan is done here; I think that much is obvious. But let's not act like he's the worst coach ever and is some kind of evil jerk who's never done anything right. He deserves some blame, but there's failure at so many levels right now that it's impossible to pin it all on one guy.

Mike built this mess and now he's trying to pull a Francesco Schettino.

Ugh.  I tried reading the article, but it turned into an emotional rant pretty quickly.  Shanahan is done here; I think that much is obvious.  But let's not act like he's the worst coach ever and is some kind of evil jerk who's never done anything right.  He deserves some blame, but there's failure at so many levels right now that it's impossible to pin it all on one guy.

Wait, let me get this straight (it actually was emotional but it had numerous points throughout)--the guy with the full control (a la HOlmgren in Seattle when they were mediocre, or Cleveland as GM with more authority than any coach) doesn't deserve almost the entirety of the blame?

Shanahan's assistant coaches (he makes even better points because of the receivers coach, Slowik,etc and those awful decisions) have all been on Shanahan.  Any aspect of a position or special teams failures are on him.  Sure, a given play may not be, but we're looking at the big picture here.

Every player on the roster has been on Shanahan, good or bad.  Nearly every timeout, every wasted moment, every time they went turbo then slowed down because, hey, you don't want to be TOO successful, every bad challenge, every decision of any import has been on Shanahan.  Sure, some of those worked out.  But I think it's indisputably the case that most have not worked.

What is the role of Snyder in the on-field product?  Does anyone believe that if we magically exchanged rosters and coaching staffs with New England that we wouldn't be on our way to the playoffs right now?  Is Snyder now just somehow magically responsible for poor football teams even when he steps back?  

Who are you going to blame--the grounds crew?  I do think players have a strong role, maybe they were feeling themselves a bit too much.  But beyond the players, who else can really be blamed but Shanahan?

There is only one constant since 1999. Bruce Allen is our only hope now.

Including 1999, we've won the division twice, had four playoff runs and won two playoff games.  This is clearly not a great track record but it isn't unmitigated failure either.  At SOME point, people got it together and arguably, Gibbs had a hand in us not being more successful when he was here with HIS QB choices but had Sean not been killed and Gibbs had the heart to continue, we may have been fine in 2008-9 or at least been to the playoffs.  

I think Snyder deserves blame for how he handled things many times but he also has had good people like Campbell and Brown in scouting, scoring a coup with getting Gibbs back and for "handing" over control after firing Cerrato.  

If we look at recent teams with sustained records of success (defined as not-losing records, multiple playoff appearances) we see that a QB-coach combination is vital, but that a transition can be made, but it's not always successful in the first attempt.  Just look at Tampa, they have a run of success, win a title and then fall apart not long after.  A great core of players got old.  Then they couldn't hit on a QB.  And sometimes a coach wears out his welcome even if he's a good coach.

We took a step with "football guys" and we have a QB.   We just need to hit on a coach who isn't past his prime, or who didn't desire to dismantle a good defense and make his job harder.

I hope the team tries to hold Shanny to his contract in order to at least leverage a draft pick from the Texans or whoever else hires this fool next...

Maybe this is forbidden somehow, but what if they just keep him under contract but bring in a new staff? He's getting paid whether they fire him or not. Might as well not give him his way.

Maybe this is forbidden somehow, but what if they just keep him under contract but bring in a new staff? He's getting paid whether they fire him or not. Might as well not give him his way.

If the team was smart, they would actually have a clause in his contract saying he can't coach another team before the full 5 years are up unless the Skins agree (and get something in return)

Yeah Shanahan doesn't deserve a free pass IMO

Ironically this brings back memories of Dan's threats to Laveranues Coles.  Didn't he threaten to keep him on the roster and sit him for an entire year? lol

Ironically this brings back memories of Dan's threats to Laveranues Coles.  Didn't he threaten to keep him on the roster and sit him for an entire year? lol

The difference is that actually hurts the team because it eats up a roster spot. But changing the locks to Redskins park while sending Shanahan's paychecks to his house wouldn't be any different than firing him and mailing them to Houston, except Shanahan makes half as much money.

As I re-read NLC's post, it actually occurred to me that the arguments being laid out made it a better, or more insightful article than Boswell's.

Thats not a high bar.

There is only one constant since 1999. Bruce Allen is our only hope now.

I think Bruce Allen is a good guy and an excellent football opps guy - but he is not a football personnel guy and not the GM we need with full authority to hire and fire the HC and who is accountable for the won/loss record to the owner. Thats what I believe we really need and sadly I would be firing Allen (or maybe moving him to a role titled above GM but focused on team PR and community links and with no involvement or authority on the football side) at the same time as Shanahan to make room to hire a real GM.

A lot of revealing stuff in there I wasn't aware of either. Shanny had too much control, and it led to terrible assistant coaches. Might even be the reason why Danny Smith left even after we won the division. Pitt is hometown, but leaving a winner for same position on another team, a team not that far away from here, that takes a lot.

"I feel I was sold a Bill of Rights about respect and culture and accountability, but that the head coach couldn’t be bothered to follow those ideas."

Best part of the article for me. What a mess. It is on Shanny. He was given the keys to the kingdom and instead of working his butt off to fix things he decides to leak BS to the media to try and deflect blame, and does so just before games. Ego is his rep and it's the kind of thing that can lead to such behavior. I'm still surprised by this, by what Shanny has done, but given the sources this stuff is true.

My hope is this leads to what the insiders rumored, that Morocco gets the GM nod, Bruce is above him, and that heirarchy will decide next HC and they'll all work together. No more giving the keys to one guy.

Good article overall but NLC is such an emotional guy lol

Understatement of the century lol. Guy gets pissy at the snap of a finger and has been known to blow up on people. Haven't read the article yet, I'll give it a read, I think we can all agree that the Shanny ship needs to sail

Shanahan is certainly a villain in all this but pretending he's the only one is ridiculous at this point. All of those coaches quit on poor luckless Dan Snyder that had done nothing wrong? Horse****.

This is the first coach where Danny actually stepped aside. Well, he also did for Gibbs but Gibbs quit because he did everything and was spent after the ST season, he didn't quit because of Dan. Snyder was at fault with previous coaches because he was involved. Gibbs had the clout to run things himself. Now control was given all to Shanny, so this is on Shanny.

A lot of revealing stuff in there I wasn't aware of either. Shanny had too much control, and it led to terrible assistant coaches. Might even be the reason why Danny Smith left even after we won the division. Pitt is hometown, but leaving a winner for same position on another team, a team not that far away from here, that takes a lot.

... My hope is this leads to what the insiders rumored, that Morocco gets the GM nod, Bruce is above him, and that heirarchy will decide next HC and they'll all work together. No more giving the keys to one guy.

Yeah, I'd forgotten that Spanos, who has done a nice job with UCLA's defense, was on the staff and bolted.  But I shouldn't be surprised.  The rumors of Shanny's ego and need for control had circulated from his Denver days, which is why he never had a great defensive coordinator there (even when he was winning) or here.  (I was also unaware that Snyder had moved his office out of Redskin Park, apparently per Shanny's request.)

I've defended Shanny up until recently.  However, it's obvious that things aren't working out and that he can't find it in him to just exit gracefully, leaking all of this gossipy nonsense to his buddies in the press (e.g. Adam Shefter & Co.) as a diversionary tactic.  As a longtime fan, I root for the laundry, for the Burgundy & Gold, and Shanny is making the B&G look bad.  Very bad.  Ergo, he has to go.  (As if his putrid winning percentage the last four years wasn't reason enough.)

As for your last paragraph, elkabong82, I wholeheartedly agree.  We need to get the proper personnel-acquisition structure in place, and then let them hire the next head coach.  No more Grand Poobah-types to run the entire football operation, thank you very much.

I have also defended shanny up until recently. I swear to you I'm so surprised that someone would bring their son into this job and completely ruin his reputation before he leaves. Kyle should be furious right now for the fear that his dad is messing with his career. Now with the blame being placed on rg3, shanny needs fired today. He can't afford to be in contact with the people that he's screwing over especially our franchise qb. Robert is already a nervous wreck and doesn't deserve any of this. Shoot if shanny was going to quit before the playoff game he got hurt in, I'd be concerned he didn't really care about roberts health. That was speculation but if true I hope shannys name is completely destroyed and he never gets into the hof.

Snyder IMO has taken decent steps to becoming a good owner with the way he hired shanahan, even though it backfired. I really hope it doesn't revert him back to his older ways and he hires the necessary staff to hire the right coach. I know a lot of you all think he's the worst owner ever but last year we thought the he was at a turning point. This mess is mostly shanahans fault and the fraud needs to get out of town. I'm so surprised I hate him.

Including 1999, we've won the division twice, had four playoff runs and won two playoff games.  This is clearly not a great track record but it isn't unmitigated failure either.

If two playoff wins since 1999 is not an unmitigated failure, I don't know what is.

Archived