Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24/7: Mike Shanahan's brilliant last act as Redskins coach; making everyone forget he sucked

Boss_Hogg

I have been thinking the last few days about everyone that mike had a problem with, and how things ended up for them... look at this list

Carlos - bad apple according to mike(worked out ok for him tho)

Landry - bad apple according to mike (worked out ok)

McNabb- wouldn't tow the company line

Haynesworthless - nuff said

RG3 - jury still out

that's a pretty long list of "problem children"

and all of those guys are top tier talent.. why does mike seem to bang heads with these guys more than most coaches?

I have been thinking the last few days about everyone that mike had a problem with, and how things ended up for them... look at this list

RG3 - jury still out

and all of those guys are top tier talent.. why does mike seem to bang heads with these guys more than most coaches?

Don't forget about Jake Plummer Daryl Gardener and others in Denver. This guy has a track record of having public disputes with players and then trying to play the role of the victim.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Because Mike needs to be the man, it's his ego and anyone who threatens to be more important to the organization than him needs to be dealt with.

You guys don’t think that Mike had a legitimate beef with some of those guys? Good grief. smh

Really, I mean trying to change the past.  LOL.  There is enough known about these players outside of Mike.

Rodgers, Haynesworth, and Landry were all  part of this dysfunctional laughing stock of a franchise before Mike took over.  They weren't Mike's issues.

Amazing how you guys make **** up and miss the real problem.

RG3 - jury still out

Carlos was told numerous times he needed to get his eyes checked. Refused every time. Went to SF and got his eyes checked. Got contacts and had a career high in INTs. That was on Carlos. He was tired of being here. Nothing to do with Mike.

LL couldn't stay healthy and refused to go under the knife. If you actually watched the Jets play when he went to pro bowl he looked ATROCIOUS during the season. Don't always look at Pro bowls. Jeff Saturday went last year and was benched by the Packers half way through the season.

Really, I mean trying to change the past.  LOL.  There is enough known about these players outside of Mike.

Rodgers, Haynesworth, and Landry were all  part of this dysfunctional laughing stock of a franchise before Mike took over.  They weren't Mike's issues.

Amazing how you guys make **** up and miss the real problem.

nobody is making anything up and trying to change anything.

I was just pointing out that with every single one of these guys it was a hardline stance, and a public feud that ended badly in every instance.

I was just pointing out that with every single one of these guys it was a hardline stance, and a public feud that ended badly in every instance.

Yeah but those guys weren't as a result of Shanny.  Why don't you include Champ Bailey or Lavar in that list?

All you are proving is we are a dysfunctional joke of a franchise.  Nothing telling on Shanny in your post.

Fat Boy was an issue before Shanny got here.

You guys don’t think that Mike had a legitimate beef with some of those guys? Good grief. smh

Sure some of them were problems, but here's one of the thibgs I tell people when I counsel them. When you have a problem with everyone then sooner or later you have to start asking maybe it's not everyone else.

Yep, and the common denominator in every instance?

Here's a hint, it wasn't Danny.

Here's a hint, it wasn't Danny.

Well you are wrong, since problems with guys on that list started before Shanny got here.

Look there is plenty to jump on Shanny for without making things up.  A little intellectual honesty in the matter.

Here is a hint.  Haynesworth problem started with Danny before Shanny arrived.  I could detail the problems with Landry and Rodgers before Shanny arrived.

There is one common denominator.  Danny.

Well you are wrong, since problems with guys on that list started before Shanny got here.

Look there is plenty to jump on Shanny for without making things up.  A little intellectual honesty in the matter.

Here is a hint.  Haynesworth problem started with Danny before Shanny arrived.  I could detail the problems with Landry and Rodgers before Shanny arrived.

There is one common denominator.  Danny.

Quoted for truth. Albert had equally as much difficulty fitting in at his new team after he left here.

I like to listen to Cooley, for 2 reasons.  1. Like me he was once a Shanny homer but now not so much.  2.  He has dealt with  Shanny directly and knows the guys in the lockerroom.  Yesterday on his show he basically said: 

1.  Shanny lectured the team when he arrived that he will not tolerate leaks to the press.  Soon after, the players learned that the major leaker to the press was Shanny himself and the players took note and lost some respect for him for this.

2.  Shanny lies and is rarely upfront with the players -- and players took note of this and don't like it.

3.  While Cooley doesn't think shanny is a bad coach, he doesn't think he's a good fit here anymore.

4.  Shanny struggles with the personal relationship side of coaching and doesn't bond well to players individually.

Forgetting all of this -- think about McNabb and RG3.

1.  We know that McNabb complained that he learned of what Shanny is thinking at times by hearing about it in the press as opposed to a direct conversation. 

2.  Shanny by his own admission didn't tell RG3 that he is thinking of benching him, instead he went to the press first.

Love or not like this dude, hard for me to see how people can argue that Shanny doesn't try to manipulate his agenda via the press.  And heck even his most adamant defenders generally acknowledge you can't trust a word he says and that he's cagey as heck

Shanny has his assets but its far from a reach suggest that he can be at fault for a relationship going wrong, not telling the truth, and media leaks galore -- there is so much smoke to that fire that its blinding.

Don't forget about Jake Plummer Daryl Gardener and others in Denver. This guy has a track record of having public disputes with players and then trying to play the role of the victim.

Then there is John Elway who is also not a big fan of Mike Shanahan.  He wouldn't work in the Denver front office until Mike was gone.  Mike also feuded publicly with Dan Reeves.

You expect some of this kind of stuff when you have so many people work together.  Shanahan seems to have more problems than most.

I like to listen to Cooley, for 2 reasons.  1. Like me he was once a Shanny homer but now not so much.  2.  He has dealt with  Shanny directly and knows the guys in the lockerroom.  Yesterday on his show he basically said: 

1.  Shanny lectured the team when he arrived that he will not tolerate leaks to the press.  Soon after, the players learned that the major leaker to the press was Shanny himself and the players took note and lost some respect for him for this.

2.  Shanny lies and is rarely upfront with the players -- and players took note of this and don't like it.

3.  While Cooley doesn't think shanny is a bad coach, he doesn't think he's a good fit here anymore.

4.  Shanny struggles with the personal relationship side of coaching and doesn't bond well to players individually.

Forgetting all of this -- think about McNabb and RG3.

1.  We know that McNabb complained that he learned of what Shanny is thinking at times by hearing about it in the press as opposed to a direct conversation. 

2.  Shanny by his own admission didn't tell RG3 that he is thinking of benching him, instead he went to the press first.

Love or not like this dude, hard for me to see how people can argue that Shanny doesn't try to manipulate his agenda via the press.  And heck even his most adamant defenders generally acknowledge you can't trust a word he says and that he's cagey as heck

Shanny has his assets but its far from a reach suggest that he can be at fault for a relationship going wrong, not telling the truth, and media leaks galore -- there is so much smoke to that fire that its blinding.

This post will probably get ignored....which is sad because it is another damning report from a former player

what was the problem with al before shanny?

(besides the fact we signed him in the first place.....)

You mean other than the fact that he whined like a fat piggy as soon as he got here.

A little article for you since everyone magically forgets how dysfunctional this franchise before Mike came here.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009-12-26/sports/36792051_1_coach-jim-zorn-albert-haynesworth-washington-redskins

Cooley is awesome

So only Mike can work the media, and he clearly thinks he is an expert. What an arrogant selfish arse, going behind players backs instead of talking to them face to face. 

He clearly cannot relate to the modern day players, and does not handle adversity well at all for a staunch old school coach.   No wonder his face is always red. Its not just because he is embarrassed at building an OL that cannot even provide basic pass protections in year 4 of a rebuild.

He is worse than Dan at least we don't question where Dan's heart is.

Cooley is awesome

So only Mike can work the media, and he clearly thinks he is an expert. What an arrogant selfish arse, going behind players backs instead of talking to them face to face. 

He clearly cannot relate to the modern day players, and does not handle adversity well at all for a staunch old school coach.   No wonder his face is always red. Its not just because he is embarrassed at building an OL that cannot even provide basic pass protections in year 4 of a rebuild.

He is worse than Dan at least we don't question where Dan's heart is.

Oh me likey

Hail

This is more pointless character assassination.

There is no evidence to support this claim.  For it to be true Shanny would have either had to leak it himself or direct someone else to do it.  We have no reason to believe that's true at all.

There's plenty of reasons to fire Mike.  But let's stop making things up.

Except for the fact that Dan Graziano is close with Shanahan, and Mike still hasn't denied the claims in the article. Oh, and Adam Schefter ( Mike's bullhorn ) CO-SIGNED the article by Graziano. 

Except for the fact that Dan Graziano is close with Shanahan, and Mike still hasn't denied the claims in the article. Oh, and Adam Schefter ( Mike's bullhorn ) CO-SIGNED the article by Graziano. 

If you guys recall, last season when they went for 3-6 and told the media in effect that the season is over and lets think about next year -- then a day later, he said that he was misquoted and misinterpreted, etc -- who did he go to get that message/story out?  He went to Dan Graziano.

You mean other than the fact that he whined like a fat piggy as soon as he got here.

A little article for you since everyone magically forgets how dysfunctional this franchise before Mike came here.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009-12-26/sports/36792051_1_coach-jim-zorn-albert-haynesworth-washington-redskins

i'm not sure what your arguing? that we made horrible personnel decisions for the past 14 year? i think we all agree on that. 

youre arguing that dan got the wrong coach when he hired shanny? i think as of today, most would agree with you, given his record. the fact that stories keep coming out about the players or owner is either a big coincidence, or a really ****ty, transparent thing for him to do to hide the fact that hes been a trainwreck here who has gone so for 0 for 3, depending on how you count, on QB's (which was supposed to be his thing) and appears to want to quit on his latest hand picked one 

so, yes, dan hired the wrong guy.

but i would say shanny is responsible for the garbage dump of a football team we currently have, since he picked the players and coaches it. 

but i would say shanny is responsible for the garbage dump of a football team we currently have, since he picked the players and coaches it. 

My point is it was a garbage dump when he got here and it's a garbage dump when he leaves.

You are correct, he didn't fix it.  Shanny sucked as a coach and GM and didn't fix it.

The reason I posted is people were trying to blame Haynesworth, Rodgers, and Landry on Shanny.  There is a lot to blame Shanny for, but don't make up lies and forget what we are, the joke of the NFL.  Shanny inherited cancer, and he leaves the team with cancer.  Did Shanny cause the cancer in the first place?  No.  Did he fix anything?  No.  So now Shanny gets to leave and we still have cancer.

To the OP point, in 2013, after four Shanahan years:

Redskins rank last in the NFL in defense. Most TDs and points allowed. 5th worst in defense yards per play. Next to last in red zone defense. Worst in NFL in punt return average allowed. Worst in NFL in special teams TDs allowed. Allowing 7+ points more per game this year. Point differential is 12 points worse this year.

Last in NFL, own field gal attempts blocked. Worst 1st quarter and first half defense in NFL.

Worst 1st quarter offense in NFL.

Largest avg deficit in NFL after 1st quarter. Editorial comment : worst overall scheme in NFL.

Punt return avg is worst in NFL.

Griffin is 17th in passing. 17th in completion percentage. Interceptions are at 1.1 per game, 20th in NFL. Griffin # 2 rushing QB. 5.7 yards rushing for Griffin is #1 in NFL overall. Morris is 7th. 9th overall offense. 8th in 3rd down success.

My point here is that Shanahan's leadership and performance has been a failure. He matter of factly faults others all the time. Shame on him if he blames anyone but himself. He should take full responsibility on his way out. But, he has already stained the team, Griffin and himself. This is an objective analysis.

what was the problem with al before shanny?

(besides the fact we signed him in the first place.....)

as I recall the ****storm really started when word came down he would be a 3-4 nt.. then the conditioning test saga.

I think old worthless let it be known he was not gonna be a nt, and shanny said yes you damn well will be.. and the ensuing battle was painful to watch.

Archived