Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hindsight is 20/20: This Year Was Setup to be a Wash and Shanny deserves year 5

HeluCopter29

A lot of people keep wanting WIN NOW and looking at last year.  The fact is, they are developing Griffin into a pocket passer and he's going to go through rough patches.  Do you just want them running what they ran last year and win for another 1 or 2 years until Griffin then has to learn the drop back game?  He's going to learn it some time or another and I would much rather that happen now then 3-4-5 years down the road.  With Griffin getting these reps, a full off season of work and study and $18 million (3-4 starters) then I'm not too worried.

You do not develop a young passer by continually getting him destroyed behind a weak offensive line. If you want to turn him into a real deal pocket passer than you wait until next season when you can replace the camp fodder currently starting on your OL.

I enjoy all of your misery . 

no really I enjoy football and yo can learn a lot by reading other teams Forums . Im also in the Giants and Cowgirls

Well GreenMenace, you certainly are "learning a lot" by following the other 3 teams in the NFC East…

Especially when your last championship came in 1960… I guess you just like to live your football life vicariously thru the other SUCCESSFUL teams in the division... 12 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS in the NFC EAST and NONE have come from the eagles

Our fond memories that are frozen in time include Riggins running for glory

The Fun Bunch doing the High 5

Doug Williams and Mark Rypien on the cover of SI being Super and Let ‘Er Rip

While YOUR team’s most iconic frozen in time memory comes in the form of Chuck Bednarik standing over Frank Gifford in BLACK AND WHITE

No matter what happens, the future is bright for the Redskins...

FLY greenmenace FLY and get the hell out of here

I cant disagree more. Its time for Shanny to go. Using the cap penalty as an excuse is not acceptable because Shanny is the cause of that penalty! He is outcoached WEEKLY. Wasted time outs, bad decisions and stupid penalties plague this team. That is on the coach. Lets also not forget Mcnabb, Beck and Grossman. The mans arrogance and his belief that he can win with any QB is disgusting. He took a top 10 defense that ran the 4-3 and has turned it into the 31st scoring defense in the league because he HAD to have a 3-4 defense. His team leaks info and bad reports on players to justify his bad decisions thus making sure they have zero trade value (Mcnabb, Landry and Davis this year) He gets credit for his free agent aquisitions but the only one on the team worth keeping is Garcon. His drafts have been pedestrian. He hit on a couple of early picks and Morris. Other than that nothing. The WORST OL in the history of the Redskins is on him directly. He brought Polumbus and Lichtensteiger over from Denver. The list of ineptitude goes on and on! By the fourth year of a coaches term it is fair to at least expect progress. Regression is what we have.

No it's time for Shannahan to ride off into the sunset to his Megamansion in Colorado. Good Riddance!!

There is no legitimate reason to keep Mike Shanahan and his staff at this point. The only thing to hold on to now is his 5 year proclamation. Part of me says "Hey, why not?" but now is the perfect time to get out from under all of this, with no more cap penalty. Shanahan is not going to fire Haslett. This defense will never be any good as long as Haslett is still here. 

With FA and pretty much a full draft minus the 1st, you then get  to mold your roster with your new coaching staff, and because there are far more keepers on this team now than when Shanny took over, I believe that the team would improve a lot quicker. Stay the course and you run the risk of sinking further into the abyss, and making things worse for your next staff than it wouldve been had you cut bait this year and been proactive.

I think the season is a nightmare because of Shanahan. He didn't make the right adjustments to his coaching staff when needed the most. The teams performance dictates whether a schedule is tough or not.

Cap penalty went into effect last year and suddenly we see the backlash? Players took pay cuts. Cap penalty argument doesn't add up and it is a unfair excuse to defend Shanahan.

RG3's injury hasn't held him back since week 3. RG3 isn't the problem, its the offensive line, defense and really special special teams.

Shanahan career through first 11 games:

2010: 5-6

2011: 4-7

2012: 5-6

2013: 3-8

So the cap penalty has no effect?  18 mil is two very good players worth of contracts at the very least.  Look how bad indy looks when they've lost ONE good player in Wayne.  We've basically been down two for the past two years.  Could it be that Shanny actually outcoached other teams who should have been better equipped last year and this year we're only underperforming a little compared to our talent level?

And if you think RG3 is back to his old self, I really suggest you look back at the games last year.  Part of the reason our offensive line looked better was because RG3 was quicker and more agile.  Defensive lines couldn't rush up field because RG3 would blow right by them.  That isn't the case right now.  He has some of his speed back, but he's not his old self by any stretch.  Add into that the lack of practice during the off-season, and yes, the rg3 injury has clearly hampered our qb's development and thus the team's success this year.

You can't just ignore valid reasons just because you're mad at Shanahan for losing.

In 2010 Mike said it would take 5 years to turn this program around. Let's take him for his word and play out year five. If the team sucks ass again then thank him for the 2012 NFC East title and move on.

Mike won't be able to use the salary cap crutch next year.

Edit: How ironic that an eagles fan with an empty trophy case talks about our misery.

Clown

I cant disagree more. Its time for Shanny to go. Using the cap penalty as an excuse is not acceptable because Shanny is the cause of that penalty! He is outcoached WEEKLY. Wasted time outs, bad decisions and stupid penalties plague this team. That is on the coach. Lets also not forget Mcnabb, Beck and Grossman. The mans arrogance and his belief that he can win with any QB is disgusting. He took a top 10 defense that ran the 4-3 and has turned it into the 31st scoring defense in the league because he HAD to have a 3-4 defense. His team leaks info and bad reports on players to justify his bad decisions thus making sure they have zero trade value (Mcnabb, Landry and Davis this year) He gets credit for his free agent aquisitions but the only one on the team worth keeping is Garcon. His drafts have been pedestrian. He hit on a couple of early picks and Morris. Other than that nothing. The WORST OL in the history of the Redskins is on him directly. He brought Polumbus and Lichtensteiger over from Denver. The list of ineptitude goes on and on! By the fourth year of a coaches term it is fair to at least expect progress. Regression is what we have.

No it's time for Shannahan to ride off into the sunset to his Megamansion in Colorado. Good Riddance!!

Though I can understand your sentiments of getting rid of Shanny, we wasnt winning before he got here with a top 4-3 defense. Now I do agree some changes to the coaching staff need to be made, but im not convinced just yet that Shanny is one of them. Shanahan has had to restructure this entire organization from top to bottom. I also disagree with my fellow fans saying that the salary cap penalty is an excuse at this point. Its not, by no means of the imaginiation. The league hit us with this penalty the day prior to free agency starting, after the staff spent the whole offseason putting their free agency plan together. That hurts!!! Now let me try to explain this the best way I can. RGIII took the league and us as fans by storm last year.  A QB with world class speed who could beat you with his arm and legs, now you include the RO, an offense that defies most NFL base defenses and player responsibilities in their base defense. You Me, and not any other person can say they saw 10-6 and a seven game wininng streak coming last year. We were all riding on a Redskins high until the 1st round of the playoffs. Now here comes this year, no real upgrades at any position in free agaency because there is no money. RGIII is rehabbing, and guess what NFL defensive coordinators study the RO offense all offseason and figure out how to slow it. They study RGIII and figure out the things RGIII and our offense struggle with. RGIII doesnt get the opportunity of an NFL offseason and we cant upgrade really any position because we have no money. It all plays its part that has contributed to our 3-9 record. I say give Shanny his fifth year, a playoff birth last year should buy him that. Just my opinion

There is no legitimate reason to keep Mike Shanahan and his staff at this point. The only thing to hold on to now is his 5 year proclamation. Part of me says "Hey, why not?" but now is the perfect time to get out from under all of this, with no more cap penalty. Shanahan is not going to fire Haslett. This defense will never be any good as long as Haslett is still here. 

With FA and pretty much a full draft minus the 1st, you then get  to mold your roster with your new coaching staff, and because there are far more keepers on this team now than when Shanny took over, I believe that the team would improve a lot quicker. Stay the course and you run the risk of sinking further into the abyss, and making things worse for your next staff than it wouldve been had you cut bait this year and been proactive.

So we're better off than when we had Vinny, but we couldn't possibly keep improving?  Athletes peak from their 3rd-8th or 9th year.  Basically we're right now seeing only 2 drafts, a total of only 18 shanahan-drafted players, at their peak.  Of those two drafts we have 4 players (Riley, Trent, Helu and Kerrigan) who should have significant play time. 

The players in their peak years from the Vinny era?  Orakpo.  That's it.  That's literally the only drafted player of note that we have from Vinny's era.  There should be 4 drafts worth of players from Vinny's era that are at their peak, and we literally have just one player from those 4 years.  You are aiming for at LEAST 2 starters per draft imo, we should have 7 more starters on this team in their peak years!

Basically what I'm saying is, the further away from Vinny we get, the better this team will look.  Right now we have 2 drafts at their supposed peaks from Shanahan, and 4 from Vinny, and it is clearly Vinny's lack of draft success that is holding us back.

For comparison, Pete Carroll inherited Unger, Mebane, Bryant, and the extra first round draft pick he used on Earl Thomas.  So basically he inherited two all-pro players as well as two solid starters.  And that seattle team was considered talent bare!  How does Shanahan look if he has even just 2 or 3 more solid starters, let alone all-pros, from the previous regime?

It's not even that.

It's the fact that a 10-6 team should be expected to have a decent shot against them.

That is also the reason this team should have been better by all means. A young team that won the division and was kept together for another run. Add 3 draft picks to strengthen our defensive secondary, all 3 were brought in hoping they could grasp this league and be starters along side of D Hall. Yes these coaches were 100% trying to build a better Division Champion this season, but for some reason a bunch of bull poop ended up happening to our beloved Redskins.

I don't buy it.  I really don't.

Yes, the cap bs is real and hurt, but continuity on defense should have meant we stayed the same, declined slightly or improved slightly.  We brought back the same D, plus got Orakpo and Merriweather back.  Our D has fallen off the map and has shown no ability to adapt or improve.  I've never seen special teams as bad as ours at the pro level and I don't think I'm exagerating.

The average length of an NFL player's career is four years.  Don't tell me it takes five to turn it around.  But even if you want to pretend it does, by year four you should see lots of sprouts and buds.  What positive signs do we see out there?  Where is the evidence that this team is ready to become suddenly good.

They are getting worse and significantly worse.

I don't buy it.  I really don't.

Yes, the cap bs is real and hurt, but continuity on defense should have meant we stayed the same, declined slightly or improved slightly.  We brought back the same D, plus got Orakpo and Merriweather back.  Our D has fallen off the map and has shown no ability to adapt or improve.  I've never seen special teams as bad as ours at the pro level and I don't think I'm exagerating.

The average length of an NFL player's career is four years.  Don't tell me it takes five to turn it around.  But even if you want to pretend it does, by year four you should see lots of sprouts and buds.  What positive signs do we see out there?  Where is the evidence that this team is ready to become suddenly good.

They are getting worse and significantly worse.

I totally agree with all, Gibbs won a Super Bowl in only 2 years, The "Hairball" brothers both were in the Super Bowl their 2nd year last season. Many coaches have turned teams into champions in just 2-3 years. There is NO excuse for this losing team!

There isn't a single excuse for the defense imo. How can Hasslet still have a job? Just the fact that Haslett is still here should be enough reason to remove Shanny from the GM (EVP) position. Hiring Shanny was a good move 4 years ago, but it's time to take the next step of hiring a real GM. We need a person that is more worried about putting a great team on the field. We don't need a GM that employs his own son to the coaching staff. We don't need a GM that enforces a bad defensive scheme onto the team. We don't need a GM that puts players in the dog house that can be contributing to the team. If the player is so bad, then cut his ass.

Give Shanny year 5, but not as GM only HC. If Shanny would make that move then I would be a little more convinced he has the Redskins best of interest. As of right now he looks like he is all about Mike and his offspring.

HTTR

The biggest reason I don't want to give Shanny year five is because I don't think I want him for year six.

This is the year where we really have a lot to offer a prospective coach.  Some very good players, a lot of cap money, and a guy that I still think could be a franchise qb. 

I really don't think you can keep Mike around for year five unless you are 75 percent sure you want him around after that.

The biggest reason I don't want to give Shanny year five is because I don't think I want him for year six.

This is the year where we really have a lot to offer a prospective coach.  Some very good players, a lot of cap money, and a guy that I still think could be a franchise qb

I really don't think you can keep Mike around for year five unless you are 75 percent sure you want him around after that.

I'm willing to bet if we don't get rid of him now, that we will be stuck with him for 5+ more years. If RG3 can survive through this season. Next season when he has a full off season, more confidence in his knee, and the play calling isn't catered to teaching. We will see a different and capable offense. I have no idea what will happen with the defense, but it looks like bad things if the current structure continues.

In 2010 Mike said it would take 5 years to turn this program around. Let's take him for his word and play out year five. If the team sucks ass again then thank him for the 2012 NFC East title and move on.

Mike won't be able to use the salary cap crutch next year.

Edit: How ironic that an eagles fan with an empty trophy case talks about our misery.

Clown

The "He said it would take 5 years" argument is the dumbest argument I've heard. What are you gonna say when an owner tells you "I'll guarantee 7 million a year, how long do you need " ? You're gonna get as many years as you can for guaranteed money.What coach wouldn't want job security regardless of performance?

Question LL, assuming you'll be around to replay, is Dan looking at anybody to fill the "General Manager" role as it's understood as other teams (where the owner hires the GM who hires the coach who hires the coordinators and position coaches)? And what is his opinion on improving the talent acquisition and scouting?

Or will Danny go forward with Bruce Allen in that role, and have him hire the coach, fill out a player personnel staff, and so forth?

I agree with the OP, even if begrudgingly.

RG3's injury, the salary cap penalty, and a really tough schedule were a perfect storm. This season was a nightmare waiting to happen.

I don't wanna hear Shanahan mention the cap penalty once things go south, like he did a couple weeks ago.  I don't recall him mentioning that one time when things were flying high or there was reason for optimism going into this season.  All the sudden, once the wins stop, he conveniently pulls that out of his back pocket.  It's tantamount to him admitting last season was a fluke cuz it's basically the same team, and it's been remarkably healthy.   

The "He said it would take 5 years" argument is the dumbest argument I've heard. What are you gonna say when an owner tells you "I'll guarantee 7 million a year, how long do you need " ? You're gonna get as many years as you can for guaranteed money.What coach wouldn't want job security regardless of performance?

That was basically my thought as well, if it's guaranteed, I need as many years as I can dupe you into giving me.  lol  It is still a business after all.  

Archived