Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have To Keep The Shanahans...

Renegade7

Keep the Shanahans for 2014??? (Public Poll)  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shanahan be allow to finish his 5 year contract even if we don't make the playoffs in 2013?

Maybe two or three idiots. But overall, no.

Every year, there is a solid contingent calling for his head. I don't see this any differently than Detroit's situation last year: they went from 10-6 to a horrid 4-12. They are now leading their division.

And they weren't docked $36 million in cap space.

I have absolutely zero interest in starting over with a new vision and coaching staff. I believe in the system but feel there is a lack of talent in some critical places. This offseason is will be key to adding the "toppings" to the team.

Disagree wit33, the problem is the system/coaching. Our defense has enough talent to be solid contenders. No excuses why our defense are among the leagues worst. The only area lacking in talent is the offensive line. RG3's biggest challenge has been his own offensive line.

Disagree wit33, the problem is the system/coaching. Our defense has enough talent to be solid contenders. No excuses why our defense are among the leagues worst. The only area lacking in talent is the offensive line. RG3's biggest challenge has been his own offensive line.

There isn't an excuse regarding our defense. There is a reason. His name is Jim Haslett.

Im assuming all the people who want a regime change feel that the current coaching team has had ample time to get the needed talent to run what they want to do and have really been able to teach a young QB whos coming off a juvenile scheme, where he basically got to do what he wanted.

I guess its also safe to assume when we bring in all these new FO people, you'll have all the patience in the world for them right?

Snyder has no history of firing coaches irrationally (except his first, which he admitted was wrong), so all this was moot. Good thing Danny has proven smarter than the majority of this fan base. Thats gotta hurt.

Danny proven to be smarter? Lol.

It's the same owner who keeps hiring coaches to be the GM as well. He did it with Marty, Gibbs, and Shanny. If he wants to be proven smarter than the average fan, then he would actually hire a GM to run his team.

It's the same owner who keeps hiring coaches to be the GM as well. He did it with Marty, Gibbs, and Shanny. If he wants to be proven smarter than the average fan, then he would actually hire a GM to run his team.

Several people have commended Shanahan on his talent acquisition. I give him three FA misses: Josh Wilson, Josh Morgan and Chris Chester. He has drafted VERY well.

The passing offense has a lot of room growth: playing experience and acquiring more talent via the draft and free agency will prove to be beneficial. Another WR opposite Garcon will do wonders for Griffin and the passing game (preferably a deep threat).

The offensive line is not as much of an issue to me as some are making it; adding a (1) supreme talent in the interior would make it a great unit though. Some are clamoring for each interior spot to be filled with great players but those are unrealistic expectations-- teams can't afford or find that much talent to aquire--. Many teams in the league would take our OLINE over there's in a heartbeat.

Defensively its up for debate why the unit struggles so much, IMO. The inconsistent play leads me to blame the coaches, but I often see our stalwarts getting beat in 1 on 1 matchups. A lot will be done to the defensive personnel next year. With all that being said, I can't argue with those that feel Haslett should be gone... if nothing else, just for a new voice.

Shanny needs to stay!

Wait, we have the best talent on offense? Our interior line regressed terribly from last year. Monty and Lich were graded very highly by Football Outsiders. We have a gaping hole at WR2 (although I like how Hank has played lately). Despite those defincies, we are moving the ball well on offense, so, dare I say, that Shanahan and Son deserve some credit there?

I know it's really "not cool" to praise Shanahan, but I think we take a major step back without him, should he get canned. Offensively anyway.

I didn't say we had the best talent. It's called a hypothetical, and it seems like it should have been obvious that's what it was.

Every team has deficiencies. Shanahan has put the vast majority of our resources into building the offense, so I would certainly expect it to be good. Doesn't mean they are coaching them to get the most out of them.

Several people have commended Shanahan on his talent acquisition. I give him three FA misses: Josh Wilson, Josh Morgan and Chris Chester. He has drafted VERY well.

He's made, as far as I can see, 8 FA signings of note (multi-year, multimillion dollar guys)

Artis Hicks- bad

Josh Wilson- so-so

Barry Cofield- good

Stephen Bowen- so-so (good player but overpaid)

Chris Chester- so-so at best

Pierre Garcon- good

Josh Morgan- bad

Brandon Meriweather- bad

He's not exactly set the world on fire there, and it would have been worse if Eddie Royal had been signed.

I'd probably give him a B+ at drafting, too bad he wasted picks on the dumb McNabb and Brown trades.

There's more to it then that. Team doesn't have a punter, punt returner, kick returner. Those positions doesn't require high draft picks or high priced FAs. That area has been piss poor talent acquisition, almost feels as though it's being neglected by him.

Chester and Wilson have been solid and good signings. Not sure how you can view them as misses. 

Morgan was a huge miss though. 

Hey I thought this team was in the right direction after last year, but it's not. IM not going to blame the cap hit, because we've pretty much have the same team as last year except without as many injuries.

So there is no reason not to think this team wouldn't grow as a unit. We'll it's done the opposite and Mike has to be blamed for it. Does he coach defense no, but he hired haslett and instead of realizing his mistakes. He just keeps adding on to them.

His son is a bum when it comes to adjusting to a defense during a game and he's still has haslett as defensive coordinator. Haslett is a bum and he's been one for most his career. So Mike is to blame and that means he has to go.

so, you're listing three coaches who have HoF potential, as an argument to not trust them? That's logical.

so, you're listing three coaches who have HoF potential, as an argument to not trust them? That's logical.

Yes I am. Those coaches were/are HOF COACHES. They aren't GMs. There's a huge difference. Not many has had any success doing both jobs at the same time. There's a reason that winning franchises (long term success in the W/L column in both regular season and playoffs) all have a separate GM and coach.

The offense is a great strength; Shanny is directly responsible for this. Offensively they got off to a slow start because of RG3's injury but things are beginning to return to last year's form. The ability to be able to pass and dominate people on the ground is really unique in today's game.

Once the offense returns to full form I think the defensive issues will become less of an issue once again. But I must admit I'm one that thinks defense is totally overrated in the game today when paired with a great offense.

The play calling from Kyle is great. He does a fantastic job of playing to the team's strength week in and week out. I always feel confident the right players (our playmakers) will get their opportunities to impact the game each week. Failure to adjust is a common issue among the masses, but my feeling on that is... Griffin isn't quite ready to make changes on the fly, which requires them to stick to the script ("comfortable things") in regards to the passing game. To0 much stock is put into end game numbers and not enough on the flow of the game or certain play calls that should've worked out if the players executed.

Keep Shanny!

The play calling from Kyle is great. He does a fantastic job of playing to the team's strength week in and week out. I always feel confident the right players (our playmakers) will get their opportunities to impact the game each week. Failure to adjust is a common issue among the masses, but my feeling on that is... Griffin isn't quite ready to make changes on the fly, which requires them to stick to the script ("comfortable things") in regards to the passing game. To0 much stock is put into end game numbers and not enough on the flow of the game or certain play calls that should've worked out if the players executed.

I think the play calling is far from great. KS is way too quick to give up on the run(team strength).Perfect example is the Denver game. If not mistaken, the Redskins ran the ball 4 times after the opening drive of the 2nd half. He leaves Griffin unprotected in the pocket way too often, not playing to Robert's strength at all. The fade in the end zone to Moss to end the Viking game was a very bad call with the game on the line. I could go on and on.

Tarpon, who's a good play caller in your opinion? My feeling is hindsight can destroy all OC's whether deserved or not. This offense has shown historical production and many are calling for things to change. I don't understand this logic.

What are your issues with production this year and last year do you have with Kyle?

I ask these question to better understand your thoughts on why he's not a good OC and why he should be potentially fired.

To address some of your issues with my opinion:

*Not sure if you meant to say running the ball 4 straight times was a bad thing in the Denver game, because that would mean you agree with Kyle. Though, I don't think they ran 4 straight times (cant remember).

*Kyle runs a lot of 3 and 4 man routes to help with protection (bootlegs have not worked at all, for some reason). Must admit that moving the pocket more often would be nice.

*Fade in end zone had options: Griffin chose to make the throw to Moss. Great throw and attempt by Moss to make a catch, but it just didn't work out.

I voted to fire the coaching staff but that was done in anger. I've since calmed down and I believe that Shanny and Son should stay as long as Haslett is replaced with a DC that has already had success in the pros. While our offense stalls at the wrong time I feel that is more a symptom of a second year QB and the cap fine limiting our talent aquisition/retention capabilities. Even with all the heartache this season has brought I think it would be shortsighted to completely discount last year's run, the salary cap penalty, and the injury to RGIII. 

May cooler heads prevail.

I for one will go on record as saying things have not gone flawlessly in his tenure. Things that he directly affects that is. Here is my thoughts on any regime change.

1. Probably most importantly is the salary cap restrictions. This serves as an over arcing thought for most of what I will say. The team is being for forced to utilize dollars prorated to about 7-8 years ago. So that is forcing the team to be "creative" when it comes to player personal. Choice are being made for critical areas like secondary, o line on talent somewhat, but really the coined word " upside" is the primary reasoning. This is why the the tenard Jackson's and Brandon merriweathers are on the team. This is also why people like Fred Davis hung around because the team is forced to use rookies more up front and if they get injured they still have an insurance policy. I can't in good conscious fire him for what I believe was a Giant driven torpedo maneuver.

2. By in large the offense with the aforementioned restrictions STILL in whole has been a wonder what they have done. If they can generate 400+ yards of offense this game that would put them in the 1983 teams 3 game consecutive output. Pretty impressive. Not even the 1991 team did that. Year two has typically been our Achilles heel of a starting QB. Despite the knee injury I still say they can build around RG3. So they have done an outstanding job with the offense overall.

3. If we fire Shanahan this year or next year are you prepared for the " hit the reset button"? I've seen it many many times the past 20 years. That despite whatever the shanahans have done will more than likely set the team back at least two more years. Come on we know what happens??? Fire everyone, players new play books, time to gel, new personal( without a draft pick for the first round), struggles,struggles,struggles. Are you ready for several more years of that?

4. Jim hasslett. Where and what do we do? He is a different story. Shanahan needs to make a choice with him also but only after next year as well. The defense aside from Kerrigan has mostly been neglected but I say this knowing that this team did a commendable job in the seven game run last year. I think the d last year merely rode the high of the offense and played beyond their talent level. But how can we crush hasslett knowing that choices are being being made ( see number 1) that may not be ordinarily made is that had space. Next year should be the chopping block year for him IF and only IF we address needs with free agents/ solid draft picks. We are well beyond the point where players don't know the system nonsense and by in large we have the "type" players to fit the 3-4.

5. Free agent acquisitions. While mcnabb and beck were complete flops we need to be sure of the free agents we bring in. Enough said.

End of Administrative points.

On- field:

1. Things that rightfully concern me is discipline. Specific to penalties. I know penalties will come but for as strict as how Shanahan comes across what is up with all the penalties. A few have been detrimental in determining late game situations. This needs to be corrected immediately.

2. Where is the pass rush? Our sack totals while middle of the pack have only come in bunches and against back-ups. I point towards the Denver game. I know manning has a quick release but come on he needs a walker to get around we could get even a whiff of him. I know they have possibly the best o line in the nfl but disappointing.

3. I love fletcher! I will say this first and foremost. While he is still a field general. His athleticism is hurting us in a key position. He needs to see the writing on the wall. Last year was a swan song for us in the second half of the season and played well beyond his roof. This year it's showing his age. He needs to stop falling in love with his streak and step aside.

4. Hot and cold performances I chose to place lastly. Mainly because I HOPE this part is behind us from an offensive perspective. Too many games where all over the place. RG3 needs an offseason an actual offseason. I don't want to see documentaries. Just solid offseason time as well. I think the sky's the limit for this young man. But you can't be a walking cliche 24/7. Get your game up, go through your reeds, and be the team leader not by crashing your head first but like this time last year when he had that bye week discussion with the team before the seven game run.

Here's to hopefully a great second half run! HTTR!

Tarpon, who's a good play caller in your opinion? My feeling is hindsight can destroy all OC's whether deserved or not. This offense has shown historical production and many are calling for things to change. I don't understand this logic.

What are your issues with production this year and last year do you have with Kyle?

I ask these question to better understand your thoughts on why he's not a good OC and why he should be potentially fired.

To address some of your issues with my opinion:

*Not sure if you meant to say running the ball 4 straight times was a bad thing in the Denver game, because that would mean you agree with Kyle. Though, I don't think they ran 4 straight times (cant remember).

*Kyle runs a lot of 3 and 4 man routes to help with protection (bootlegs have not worked at all, for some reason). Must admit that moving the pocket more often would be nice.

*Fade in end zone had options: Griffin chose to make the throw to Moss. Great throw and attempt by Moss to make a catch, but it just didn't work 

Didn't say KS should be fired, what I am saying is that his play calling has been far from great. My point in regard to running the ball is that I feel he gives up on it too easily. In the Denver game I believe the 6 runs in the entire 2nd half played right into the hands of the Broncos, setting the game up to be a battle that couldn't be won against Denver's high scoring offense. I think if the middle of your line is getting blown up by the opposing teams interior lineman(Williams 3 sacks) you can't keep dropping Robert straight back allowing him to get pummeled. I believe if they don't start moving the pocket more Robert won't finish the season. I guess the fade in the end zone would depend on if  Moss was the primary read or not. Seems to me you would be trying to find a way to get Garcon, Hankerson,or maybe even Reed in the corner.   

The thing about pro-sports is that if you're not going forward, you're going to go backwards.  And this team looks very similar to the team we put out in 2012.

To build a great team you start by creating a core and adding to it.  The core is good and it works, we've seen that.  The problem is coaches will figure out how to beat your core and when they do you're going to have issues like we're having right now.  We didn't make any real changes coming into this year.  In fact the biggest change was that RG3 had to spend the whole offseason just to become himself again so it was impossible to get better.

Next year has to be the real test.  It would have been this year but Griffin's injury and the cap hit have made this year a wash.  With a full cap and Robert getting his first real NFL offseason I think we're going to know by week 17 next year the outlook of this team and if Mike should stay on.

My suspicion is that he's going to have earned a new contract.

Archived