Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No More Excuses, Our Interior Oline Is Terrible

KevinthePRF

So Shanahan (either one) has to make a decision: either get bigger O-lineman for a more traditional offense (not likely), or go back to the kinds of offense that can be effective behind this kind of line.

Shanny doesn't deserve this luxury. He's been coaching here long enough. The O-Line should be good enough by now. If his initial method doesn't pay any dividends his entire system ought to be scrapped along with him. When FOUR of your O-linemen are mediocre the whole "oh we were penalized 36 million blah blah" excuse doesn't work either. A FA or 2 weren't going to change the fortune's of this O-line. 

I hate it when we lose because of the people who crawl from out of the woodwork around here. There's already an element here trying to hijack the thread and make it an "RG3 can't do nothin', let's get rid of him" thread. It's the same **** I saw when folks came out of nowhere to blast Gibbs in his second tenure. They complained all about his schemes and how the game left him behind and yet we'd go out and blow out the cows and Giants and Eagles in back to back to back weeks, putting up 35 points each game (31 against the eagles).

I think in this go round, blame does have to fall on our coaches head. Both shanahans deserve criticism. But it's too nutty to scapegoat our QB.

I've been saying this for 4 years. I was concerned about the oline we would get with Shanahan. He prefers  smallish oline, more quickness, speed than size strength. But I ask why can't we have both ? an olineman about 320 to 330 and even 335 and up for those rare big man who have great feet to go with that size and strength.  our oline isn't overly strong physically or fast or quik or big. Licht and Mont. are having very bad seasons so far and i'd be very surprised for them to revert to their play of last year.  don't see how we can get the lineman we need to help this struggling line. I would love for them to trade for Alex Mack    center of the Browns (Doubt the Browns would do it).   But he is widely considerd either the best or one of the top 3 centers in the game. As far as the two guards and the rt I don't see the answer out there we could actually trade for and surely not find them on the roster. That doesn't even talk about safety,  a true no. 1 cb, and middle lb.  I'm don't know how this tream can keep it from being a real long and slow burn. They fight but they still self inflict upon themselves untimely penalties, turnovers and a 2 min offense that takes 5 mintues..  Robert is still struggleing, granted it isn't all him . w also have a special teams that is as far from special as any part of this team at this point. Question to you guys is this, Should the Skins fire our special team coaches and find another or let it crash and burn. We don't have the cap space, or draft picks with which to get some players that could help this team to stand up. I appreciate their fight but it's still painful to watch. Byrd is available from the Bills but first of all is to get our  DR.'s to check him  out thoroughly if he checks out  then try and make a trade. But for oline guys that we could bring in here to strengthen our oline as well as getting a meaner and more talented lineman I don't see how have the ability to do anything to get any help.  Oh well HTTR.

To all of you saying RGIII is terrible...when your offensive line is of the quality that gets routinely manhandled by backup players, you will not feel safe in the pocket, you will start getting jittery and you will NOT ever be in rhythm.  What do you expect exactly?  Coupled with the fact that we have no playmakers outside of Garcon...this isn't rocket science.

Zone blocking is a fraud.  It isn't going to work with fast, strong, and big defensive linemen.  In its heydey, it worked because DL'ers were lumbering, slow.  Our interior was outmatched by scrubs.  SCRUBS, for God's sake!!!

You can't tell me that RGIII (or anyone else) wouldn't have sliced up the Cowgirls defense if they'd have had some real fat boys with upper body strength up front.  you need beef up front, and in this day and age you can find beef that can run and has agility.  Trent Williams is not that much of a freak.

Lichtensteiger recovered that fumble earlier in the game because his man pushed him into the backfield and turned him around, where fortuitously he saw the ball on the ground.  Chester's man was back there having tea nearly every snap.  ANd my 6 year old daughter could've done a better job than Montgomery (okay, that's a bit harsh).

Peyton Manning wouldn't even be able to have success behind these guys. 

Wow.. No Pressure you apparently like to make things here personal! Well I hope you feel better after that and if you want keep personally taking shots at me I can take it. ive seen more and been through more then you've dreamed about ....HTTR

When I read something stupid, I respond to it directly. In the gameday thread and in every thread afterwards including ones about the OFFENSIVE LINE *HINT HINT* you decided to spew your vendetta with RG3 all over the place. This is not intelligent football discourse you are attempting, you're entering a thread about the offensive line and giving us gem one-liners such as:

"And RG3 is terrible too"

Thanks for your significant and thoughtful addition to Redskins knowledge and discussion. As long as you continue to post silly comments like that I'll probably continue to respond to them and point out how silly they are. I also don't feel obligated to always respond to unintelligent comments with thoughtful and friendly ones of my own. Perhaps it is spiteful to say "an eye for an eye" or some cliche like that, but regardless of your opinions on the Redskins and our quarterback, if you're content to present your position in such a careless manner, you likely wouldn't understand what I was even saying if I responded with anything slightly more intelligent.

Shanny doesn't deserve this luxury. He's been coaching here long enough. The O-Line should be good enough by now. If his initial method doesn't pay any dividends his entire system ought to be scrapped along with him. When FOUR of your O-linemen are mediocre the whole "oh we were penalized 36 million blah blah" excuse doesn't work either. A FA or 2 weren't going to change the fortune's of this O-line. 

And don't forget the unnecessary move of switching to a 3-4.

Guys, lets be totally honest. The OLine sucks. The WR didn't make any plays, BUT it's not blasphemy to say that RG3 played a bad game. He missed a lot of open guys and that fumble and the INT in the endzone was all him.

And I also agree, Shanny's time is up.

Guys, lets be totally honest. Last year we were not even a good team we just got hot and emotional at the right time.

You have something there. When was the last time it didn't take a late season rally to get into the playoffs.

Last year the read option covered major flaws in this OL. Tonight i'd say Polumbus was our best OL. I watched as TW got bull rushed repeatedly and couldn't hold his ground. Chester was just lost completely. Monty missed that crucial block in the middle of the field killing the QB draw that would've scored 6. Polumbus was Polumbus, we got exactly what we knew we would get out of him.

You have something there. When was the last time it didn't take a late season rally to get into the playoffs.

Yea it is kind of depressing it hurts a lot especially because so many people went into this season in denial. Including myself. I thought that we had turned the corner but when looking back it from this viewpoint I think I was in denial like most people.

Uhhh, yeah they are terrible.  I'm tired of people saying "Pro Football focused graded Kory Lichtensteiger 1 out of every NFL lineman in the history in pass blocking on a Sunday afternoon when the weather is above 70 degrees and the humidity is below 60 percent...blah blah blah".

Look with your eyese.  Everyone outside of Trent Wiliams would be a backup on almost any team in the league.  They are not very good.  You want to build the team up - start in the trenches. 

Yes, it is bad, but it is not all on them.  RG3 was making bad throws even when he had time.  He also held on to it too long as well.

I love RG3 as much as the next guy, but he needs to be held accountable as well.  He is making mistakes, period.

This is the problem with Redskins fans..  You don't know how to accept a franchise QB because you haven't had one!

Name me one franchise QB that doesn't make mistakes??  Did you see Peyton Manning today?? The Jaguars made him look stupid for most of the game. But they still won because his team stepped up! As a  QB when the ball is in your hand every play, every throw isn't going to be perfect. But any knowledgeable person can see that RG3 is not the problem with our offense so why should we blame him simply because he's the QB??  Receivers not getting open, not catching the ball, falling down on routes! Holding calls on the O-line. Absolutely no time to scan the field for RG3! Those are the real problems! Even Chris Collinsworth said RG3 isn't to blame for the loss. He saw the same thing I did that RG3 was the main one giving max effort on offense an carrying them for most of the game. !

I thought that "4th best offensive line" in the NFL could handle backups, but they were giving up pressure on three man rushes.

Just think, ELI Manning think he's behind a bad line in the NYC, but he looks here and thinks to himself, that things could be much worse.

Archived