Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**official 2013/2014 Winter Weather Thread**

Chew

I'm just barely in there...hopefully another nice event.

If the school system is smart they'll roll out a delay early and then close if necessary.  I hate when they try to be gutsy and send us to school for a mid-day storm, then have to backpedal, close early, and it takes hours to get home anyway.  (Or nowadays, get my daughter from daycare.)

So do I understand things right that a .6 QPF with a 20:1 ratio would be a foot of snow?  I mean, I know you're not saying that we'll get a foot, but is that what those numbers mean?

Yeah, pretty much...I really do not think that will happen..but there looks to be a band of heavy snow that will put down 1-2 in a hour for a few hours.  On the GFS that band is setting up right over DCA

Souther MD will be on the lighter side, but should still get 1-2 in.

The lastest GFS has the bulleye right over DCA putting down .6.-7 QPF, which would be 6-7 inches or more. It depends on the ratios. I have been hearing 15:1 to 20:1 ratios being talked about. Things might get crazy around here if the EURO trends the way the GFS/NAM has.

Has the EURO run yet?  Yesterdays predictions by everyone were spot on so I'm curious how this one is looking.  I imagine the EURO would have run by now?

Looking WAY ahead on the GFS.

(for GAI, DCA isn't much warmer)

Christmas Eve - High 18  Low 5

Christmas - High 19 Low 6

:)

Short term as far as temps, with a nice snow pack GFS has both Wednesday night/Thursday morning and Thursday night/Friday morning close to or in the single digits, even in the city.

Can't wait to take my Aussie Cattle Dog and Border Collie out tomorrow. They played so much yesterday, and this storm should be even better.

Funny, we were hyped all week for this past storm, that we haven't given much thought to the one coming up. Pretty good December so far! Often gone without a flake in past Decembers.

EURO is out, seems to be drier than the GFS/NAM, but wetter than before. still puts down a good 2in in the DC area. But from what I have been reading is the EURO has been playing catch up with this storm the hole time. It looks like people are going with the combo of the GFS/NAM with the EURO being the outlier, which does not happen often.

When is this supposed to start in MoCo?

morning rush hour..it is going to be a mess

morning rush hour..it is going to be a mess

This is the part that's going to piss me off.  I'm in no mood to get stuck downtown. I've said before that now that I'm out of High School, I don't actively wish for snow since I like my job, and might go insane if I'm stuck inside all day with my crazy children (who I love very much, but still).

If it's going to do something, just freaking do it overnight, or at least early enough for OPM to make the call before I have to make my way downtown and then get stuck there for the rest of the day while traffic turns into a ****storm.  Otherwise, just stay away snow, you fickle wintery ****.

NWS hasn't necessarily backed off their predictions. They just don't know yet where the heaviest bands will set up.

Their latest discussion:

Latest guidance shows the potential for mesoscale banding...which will cause high precipitation rates. However...(un)certainty in exactly where that band sets up is still high. A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for the entire area late tonight into early Tuesday afternoon. The morning rush hour will be impacted and snowfall rates around one to two inches per hour will cause dangerous travel conditions. The advisory may need to be upgraded to a warning for portions of the area...depending on exactly where the heavier bands set up and how strong they are. Will continue to monitor during evening and overnight shifts.

Archived