Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-2 By Denver (The Wishful Thinking Thread)...

mitchellvii

I'm sorry but I think we're still an 11-5 football team. I don't get to caught up in September/early October ball games.

When I look across the NFL I see playoff contending defenses that allow points but generate turnovers. Moreover, the playoff contending offenses are capable of lighting up the scoreboard. This is exactly what we did last season. There is no such thing as a perfect team with all the pieces in place. The 2007 NYG had a very weak secondary that was constantly exposed throughout their season and their playoff run. For example, former Redskin QB Todd Collins was able to lead our Skins to a victory throwing TDs in the wind against that defense.

Robert Griffin will continue his slowed progress until he's 100% comfortable. Every week he'll get his timing with WRs down and you'll see 3rd and 7 3rd and 4 become 1st down. 

Roberts biggest issues besides extending plays with his legs are poor footwork and dropped passes by WRs. Of course some of the passes have been off but no QB is perfect. Robert's worst games look better than allot of starting QBs best games.

Alfred Morris will pick up the pace when Robert begins to regain his confidence. The duo compliment each other and make the offense go. Alfred also is having issues breaking tackles. As he regains regular season form your going to see him hit that cutback harder and break the first defender that hits him. I also expect to see more Roy Helu Jr used in 3rd situations.

Our WRs & TEs have been dropping way to many passes. I have no doubt that is going to change as the season progresses. 

This 0-2 start was a blessing in disguise. Its humble pie from last years hangover but this young group is very talented and well coached. They will beat the Lions and Raiders and go into the BYE 2-2.

#HAIL

11-5 

Bra I want some of that **** you drinking. LOL!  I hope you right though.

Seattle is NOT impossible to beat at home.  Rex Grossman put up 23 pts on their turf with them having basically the same defensive personnel.

LB corps is completely different.  They are very, very stout against the run.  Their front 7 is beastly.  You can't pass on them because their coverage is tough.  Tough because the secondary gets away with blatant holding and PI doesn't get called either.   fyi - Ifollow Seattle by default (live in Auburn, WA)  because here (ES) is really the only 'news' I get on the skins and I love sports talk radio.

Their offense is pretty sad.  With the way their defense puts them in great position all the time - they should win each game by 30.  Wilson is struggling, sophomore slump is kicking in on a lot of these young QBs early on.

Sorry for derailing a minute - but their defense is almost legendary status for the reasons I list above.

More to the point of the thread - if we win this week 4-2 is possible (for many reasons listed above other than the obvious 0-3 start).  We need this win.  Is RG not allowed to audible?  If you aren't happy with the call....I mean....if your read shows something else, just audible?

HTTR

0-2 is far from the end of the season but what what most have seen isn't very inspiring. It's possible that we win the next 4 in a row, most would think that there is a greater chance of hell freezing over.

I hope you're right. Don't worry if everyone doesn't share your same hopeful spirit. Tough times makes for a testy fan base.

That's exactly why this 0-2 start is so disparaging. The team looks so inept on all counts. The D looks horendous; the O is brutally ineffective; and special teams looks like its being coach by Danny Smith.

If at least the offense still looked explosive or the defense was reminesent of the Gregg Williams days there would be something to hang our hats on. As off right now there are no bright spots. If anything things appear to have regressed?

And do you have to find a reason to be an obnoxious jerk in a positive thread about our skins?  Or I guess according to you all "Hey I think we can win this threads" should be off limits?  Maybe you can give us a list of topics you deem worthy since talking about how our team can turn this around is not?  If you've given up on our team after only 2 games that's fine, I haven't.

BTW, did you notice that you were the ONLY person to make a snarky comment?  Everyone else is contributing.

Guys, if I had created a thread when we were 3-6 last year saying, "We can win the NFC East", that would have seemed even crazier than imagining going 4-2.

I'm a fan and we can turn this around.  BTW, we have outscored the 49er's by 10 points so far this season and they are Superbowl favorites.  We were one bobbled onside kick away from beating the Eagles when they just played the game of their lives with an offense no one had ever seen.

Not to get too technical but even if we recovered that onside kick we wouldn't have gotten the ball because Aldrick was flagged for being offsides on the kick.  But I do get what you mean.  We had a shot to get the ball and drive for the win in the end, which is really more of a silver lining than something to be celebrated at this point.  We have got to show something positive in all phases this week if we are going to have a chance at the division.

The problem is not the record. That will eventually be the problem, but right now, it's irrelevant.

The problem is the way the team is playing. They're playing like poop, in general. Now, yes, there are some positive "signs." But in general, they are not playing well.

The offense has been out-scored 50-0 in the first halves of the first 2 games. I think that in 2 games, they have less than 5 total 3rd down conversions.

The defense can get pressure for a while, but it's out on the field so much (due to the lack of 3rd down conversions) that eventually the front 7 tire, the pass rush goes away, and the secondary is BAD. I'm not going to blame 2 rookies for being rookies, and call for a bunch of people to get fired.

But Hall and Wilson are average at best, Merriweather already has been hurt, and Amerson and Rambo are rookies who are learning. It's a terrible combination. And trusting Rambo, a 6th rounder, to be a starter ... that shows complete lack of depth at that position. He shouldn't be starting. But, there's nobody else.

What the team needs to do, honestly, is focus on executing better, play by play, and forget about the record, the score, and everything else. Just play better. Try and win more plays than you lose. Then, in the end,good things will happen.

As of right now, I can't even entertain hypotheticals about records because the product on the field is so bad.

Oh, and I think that the 'Skins were able to overcome the first $18M cap penalty last year, but the combined $36M of the two years is really starting to show it's ugly head. That's 4 $4M/year players that they are not able to have. 4 potential top-flight starters. That's an entire secondary, or 2 safeties and a RT and another WR, or something. That's a REALLY big loss. They were able to disguise it for one year, but 2 seems like it's just too much to overcome at the moment.

Oh, and I think that the 'Skins were able to overcome the first $18M cap penalty last year, but the combined $36M of the two years is really starting to show it's ugly head. That's 4 $4M/year players that they are not able to have. 4 potential top-flight starters. That's an entire secondary, or 2 safeties and a RT and another WR, or something. That's a REALLY big loss. They were able to disguise it for one year, but 2 seems like it's just too much to overcome at the moment.

Everyone will call this an excuse, but I'm totally with you. I'd love to see how any team could handle that kind of penalty.  

No way we are 4-2 by Denver....we are the second worst defense in yardage given up in NFL HISTORY! You do not win 4 games doing that, we lose this week we beat the Raiders, and we will struggle until our defense gets better, no matter what RGIII does even if he gets better if we can not keep from giving up 3 TD's in the first quarter then it doesn't matter how healthy he is. This is not a shoot out team.

Archived