Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Long Until Robert Gets His Speed Back?

kgor93

IMO, this is my biggest concern because it's what makes him so dangerous. He didn't look like 4.3 last night, he looked like 4.6 at best. And when do you think he might get his arm strength back? He didn't seem to have the same zip last night.

The fact that he seems to be more careful could be a blessing in disguise. 2 of the 3 injuries last year were preventable, with the 3rd being an indirect result of the 2nd.

I'm cautiously optimistic on the season. Last night when I went to bed, I was thinking this season will suck. But I was pleasantly surprised to see our defense held and we nearly cameback.

Edit: Was he faster in the second half? I only got halfway through the 3rd quarter.

I think his arm strength was fine.  What you saw was actually better development as a passer - more touch on his throws, especially those to the outside.  Last year I felt he had a tendency to throw the ball as hard as he could sometimes, and this could lead to receivers being pulled away from the first down marker.  Last night I felt like his touch on throws 7-10 yards was much better than it has been.  

His passing sucked in the first half for the most part. Overall his 2nd half passing was night and day compared to the first. 

Even though the majority of his passes were short, you could still see his passes were more crisp. No long balls but he had a couple of nice intermediate throws with nice zip on them. I think his passing is already fine. I was scarred after the first half.

As far as running, I have no idea. In general he won't be running as much as last year.

I think the more pertinent question is are we changing our O?

If we are, and cutting out the RO and the threat/ use of his legs, we're gona' be a WHOLE lot less effective than last year. 

Hopefully last night was just a case of easing him back in and normality will resume with what we call sooner rather than later. 

Hail. 

At the beginning of the offseason everyone and their mother was on Shanahan for keeping him in the game against Seattle. Then, we had the media make a mountain out of a mole hill because Robert expressed his displeasure with how the plan of easing him back in was set in stone. We had fans jump along for that ride as well. At the same time, we had the other extreme where fans wanted to rest Robert until after the bye week, just because.

I think Mike is in a lose-lose here with the media and fans, but I also believe he's played this perfectly. We want Robert here long term, and it's now clear we're going to be easing him in as time goes on. We'll run the RO as much as need be for teams to respect it, but that's it.

I think what we saw yesterday was more about getting Robert comfortable than winning the game. We didn't just fall back on the RO when we got down and that says everything to me. The good news is, he did get comfortable. I'm hoping he comes out looking exactly the same as he did in the 2nd half against Green Bay.     

Until he proves to teams that he is a serious running threat, defenses will amp blitz packages in his face. RG3 as a nonrushing threat changes the dynamic of this offense, from open receivers to Morris running. He might be near full speed, we will never know until that brace comes off. He can't move in that thing, not like he did before.

It could be a full season, two seasons or perhaps never.

It's not a given that he'll ever be a 4.3 guy again.

There's always a guy in every thread that has to piss on the cornflakes!

I say 3-4 weeks and he'll be outrunning everybody. Again.

I dont know but he looked fine halfway through the 3rd quarter.  I think that if we didnt waste that timeout, we would have won that game.

If Forbath hadn't missed that FG, I also think we would have won. That was really the difference last night! (and I still have faith in Kai .. he was due to miss one sooner/later, but DAMN!)

Until he proves to teams that he is a serious running threat, defenses will amp blitz packages in his face. RG3 as a nonrushing threat changes the dynamic of this offense, from open receivers to Morris running. He might be near full speed, we will never know until that brace comes off. He can't move in that thing, not like he did before.

RG3 will be fine as long as our guys do a better job of picking up the blitz.  In some of those plays, he had no shot.  People worry about Robert taking hits while running the read option.  Last night he took more hits in the pocket than I've ever seen while running the option.  We should have run more screens to slow that down.

His touch looked better on his short passes but the problem was he didn't put any zip on his passes that needed them. One out to Moss was so soft and then the 2nd interception should have been a laser in there and it wasn't. He footwork on that pass also looked really weird. He takes a couple steps then he sort of hops sideways and throws. He definitely wasn't putting the zip on his throws like he did last year.

Running wise he looked better in the 2nd half. I'd five him a few more weeks to really get comfortable and regain that speed. He doesn't need to be 4.3 to be an effective option or running QB but I'm pretty confident he will get back close to that in time.

Some of his passes lacked zip probably because he didn't step into some of them... He adjusted his throwing while he was rehabbing, so maybe some poor mechanics stuck... too many off the back foot.  The eagles did play more conservative in the 2nd half, so that may have helped, but we did seem to get into more of a rythm... I'm sure he'll be practicing hard this week to correct the mistakes.

Disagree w/ him looking like a 4.6....thought he was more along the lines of a 4.7.

But seriously...the overraction is INSANE on here.  How do you even gauge his 40 time from either watching on TV or in the stands?  Dudes REALLY saying he looked like a 4.6????  LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Trust me, I love when the Skins win...but the unintentional comedy in here after a loss is > Eddie Murphy Raw. 

Honestly, I don't even care if he's not as dynamic this year. I said in an earlier post I think his arm is fine despite his crappy passing in the first half. 

I don't agree with the premise the team needs Griffin to be able to run like last year in order to be successful. This Offense always produced open receivers and always had a good run game. I'm saying that Griffin's arm is fine and he will be stepping into his throws as early as next week. And I'm saying he's better than Rex Grossman and will find those open receivers and command a potent Offense with or without the RO.

I mean, Shanny coached Steve Young in Frisco and he used to freaking kill it with the boot leg. Even if Griffin isn't busting out 70 yard TD runs he's still athletic/healthy enough to run roll outs and boot legs effectively.

That does NOT mean I don't want them to run the read option. If they are able to execute it like last year then run it until it doesn't work. 

I'd like to know that as well. But dude, if his knee was swollen I don't think anybody would know about aside from the Shannys and Andrews.

He looks shaken up once or twice but nothing serious. Plus he ended the game looking fine so no worries from me. Vick looked way worse with his hobbling for comparison. 

Did he seem hurt after a few hits or was it just the shots he took to the body?  Any feedback about whether his knee being swollen after the game?  Just curious...

If he came away injury free, then his recovery continues and I'll take that as a positive.

Archived