Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whom Should The Skins Poach From Other Practice Squads?

PlayAction

Does anyone have a favorite player from this year or last year's draft that you had hoped would be drafted by the Redskins but was picked by another team?  If that player has been put on waivers and makes it to the team's practice squad should we poach them?  If so, whom?

The Cowboys picked Danny Coales last year in the 5th round (WR from VT).  He was on IR last year and has just been cut from the team.  According to the Cowboys website it appears as if they are hoping he makes it to the practice squad.  I'd love for the Skins to pick him up for the 53 man roster - sure hands, good route runner, great blocker and special teams player but average speed.  I think he'd be great as a backup slot WR.  Of course, he'd have to replace a current player on the roster.  The easy swap would be Pat White QB but the Skins must have some reason to keep 4 QBs even temporarily. 

http://www.rotoworld...wr-chris-harper

Seahawks waived WR Chris Harper.

It's just the latest example of "everyone competes" in
Seattle, but it's still extremely unusual for a team to cut ties with a
fourth-round pick after only four months. Harper was badly out-played by
second-year UDFA WR Jermaine Kearse, however, and it cost him his roster spot.
The Seahawks will now try to stash Harper on the practice squad, but there's a
strong chance he'll get claimed. Standing in at 6-foot-1, 229 pounds, Harper
posted a 4.55 40-yard dash and 35.5-inch vertical leap at the Combine. He also
recorded the highest Wonderlic of any receiver.

Broncos waived WR Tavarres King.

Beat writer Jeff Legwold recently anointed King the Broncos'
fifth receiver, but his five-catch preseason apparently wasn't enough. A
fifth-round pick, King was initially considered a contender for the Broncos' No.
4 receiver job. King boasts 4.47 speed and 33-inch arms to go along with his
6-0, 189 frame, so he should get some looks on waivers. If not, he'll be stashed
on the practice squad.

I was a big fan of James Michael Johnson when he came out, he was just cut.

Said this about Harper in the other thread:

I'm an enormous Chris Harper fan. I'd pick him up in a second, I don't care how poorly he played in preseason. His problem was dropping passes, but he clearly had sticky hands in college. So it's a concentration thing. Carroll has preached about "ComPETE" so much that he's actually hurting the future of his roster by dumping such a potential-filled raw player so that he doesn't lose his cred in the locker room. Yes, Harper was outplayed. Yes, you overlook that for at least one season when you took him in the 4th round and he still has all that potential you saw in him.

I'd overpay him to get him on the practice squad.

Is this true even before PS rosters are set? I was under the impression that any player can be picked off the waiver wire until the usual PS-active roster rules apply Sunday at noon.

If you're claiming a player off waivers, they have to go to the 53. Or else you're cutting them and putting them back on waivers. But a player can sign with any team's practice squad. A guy like Chris Harper can sign anywhere he wants, it's just that he often would choose Seattle over any other options.

If you're claiming a player off waivers, they have to go to the 53. Or else you're cutting them and putting them back on waivers. But a player can sign with any team's practice squad. A guy like Chris Harper can sign anywhere he wants, it's just that he often would choose Seattle over any other options.

I would love to get Harper on OUR practice squad, but it probably will not happen.  HTTR

I would love to get Harper on OUR practice squad, but it probably will not happen.  HTTR

My guess is he gets claimed by someone, maybe a crappy team like the Jags. There's usually a fair amount of claiming at this time of the year. Remember Crezdon Butler last season? If he clears, then he's free game. But the Redskins would have to convince him its better here than in Seattle (where he's spent the last 4 months learning the system) or any of the 30 other teams. Or in other words, a long shot.

If I was Chris Harper and there are alot of teams offering a spot on the PS.. His agent needs to do the right thing and get him on a team with the weakest WR unit...  I didn't realize that Seattle had a such a deep WR unit but oh well...

Chris Harper looks nice, but we are probably too far down the trough to have a shot at him.

If you are wondering about waiver system... once he clears waivers and is eligible to sign on to the PS.. there is no pecking order.. more or less, the guy is a free agent... If he has multiple offers then the player can pick whose PS he wants to sign to ...

I predict none, that Mike is happy with his team.

I wonder if there is a secret code among GM's to generally not loot each others practice squads this early in the season.  Short of injuries forcing the GMs hands, I do not forsee anything happening.  In the hockey world, there is a code  where GM's rarely go after another teams restricted free agents, but could and at reasonable salaries.

Presume the values of PS guys are generally all the same, and plucking one guy that has the same value as a guy you move to make room, adding in the new playbook factor, its generally not worth bothering. You take Chase, we then take your Chase. Both teams run risk of the player not meshing, struggle to learn the playbook, and in the chase to find a marginally better player, you lost a guy that you have already found PS worthy.

I'd really like to Find a RT.

By far RT is our weakest position--including DB. Polumbus is pretty terrible. However, who are we going to pick off the waiver wire that is going to be better? Not to mention, the reason our line works so well right now is the cohesion as a unit. A new player who might be better athletically than Polumbus, might now fit the scheme, throwing a big monkey wrench in the works.

On top of that, I really like Tom Compton, and think he is going to replace Polumbus eventually this year.

Really--I don't know that we need to poach anyone

I was a big fan of James Michael Johnson when he came out, he was just cut.

Clicked on the thread wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned him. He was very popular leading up to that draft.

not a gut for the practice squad, but Cody Grimm a FS just got let go by Bucs. Could be both useful and nostalgic. 

Yeah, would love to add him. I think he's a real solid player.

Would be intrigued by Coales.

Also, the Pats are releasing Marquice Cole. He's looked like a very solid cover CB, played well on special teams and has been praised as a strong locker-room guy.

Report: Seahawks fourth-rounder Chris Harper heading
to 49ers

The Seahawks haven’t officially announced the members of their practice squad
yet, but they’ve reportedly already lost one to the roster of their biggest NFC
West rival.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the 49ers have signed wide receiver Chris Harper
off of the Seahawks’ practice
squad
. Harper was a fourth-round pick this year, making him one of the
highest draft picks to get cut as teams set their 53-man rosters albeit one that
has now found his way back to one before the start of the regular
season.

Archived