Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

It is hard to understand the mixed reviews on Matthews that are so prevalent. He has the production numbers over an entire career in an elite conference, despite not having consistent QB play or being surrounded by talent. In light of that long term, proven production, the critique had to be that he lacked next level elite athleticism. Yet, then he went to the combine and put on one of the best overall performances by a WR in one of the most talented combine WR units ever. Now, it's a fallback to his film not showing him playing fast or at a high enough clip.

After watching tape on him here is my two cents: Jordan is a smooth and fluid route runner, has great hands very rarely catches the ball with his body, good vision, is willing to block on the edges.  Con's: he is not going to blow any NFL CB away he has some straight line speed but does not have elite break away speed, he is not explosive off the line of scrimmage.  I have him rated as a third to fourth round pick with the right coaching he may develop into a number 2 reciever 

After watching tape on him here is my two cents: Jordan is a smooth and fluid route runner, has great hands very rarely catches the ball with his body, good vision, is willing to block on the edges. Con's: he is not going to blow any NFL CB away he has some straight line speed but does not have elite break away speed, he is not explosive off the line of scrimmage. I have him rated as a third to fourth round pick with the right coaching he may develop into a number 2 reciever

You didn't notice his drops? At least once a game he will have a ball wiz through his hands or not make the contested catch. That is one of my biggest criticism about him and he reminds of of Hank as in he was a productive WR who ran faster than he played and had drop issues.

So you all know about the piece of sports trivia concerning the "Big 33," right?

That a player from that classic High School showcase has also been on one of the rosters, for one of the Super Bowl teams, of each and all of the 48 Super Bowls.

Just a reminder that Jonathan Newsome played in the Big 33 back in 2009.,

link: http://www.cleveland.com/buckeyeblog/index.ssf/2009/06/ohio_states_jonathan_newsome_t.html

Cheers.

So you all know about the piece of sports trivia concerning the "Big 33," right?

That a player from that classic High School showcase has also been on one of the rosters, for one of the Super Bowl teams, of each and all of the 48 Super Bowls.

Just a reminder that Jonathan Newsome played in the Big 33 back in 2009.,

link: http://www.cleveland.com/buckeyeblog/index.ssf/2009/06/ohio_states_jonathan_newsome_t.html

Cheers.

What exactly do you see in Newsome? Seems like a good athlete but is just so raw. He did have a few moments against Moses though. 

One thing that seems to stand out for Matthews on tape is that he nearly always takes a little stutter step at the snap before he gets going. Even when he doesn't his 'sink' into his get off looks a bit slow.

That looks a very coachable flaw to me, which would suggest that he could get out into his routes quicker/more effectively than he does on tape. It may account for not looking as quick over the first 10 yards as his combine suggested.

One thing that seems to stand out for Matthews on tape is that he nearly always takes a little stutter step at the snap before he gets going. Even when he doesn't his 'sink' into his get off looks a bit slow.

That looks a very coachable flaw to me, which would suggest that he could get out into his routes quicker/more effectively than he does on tape. It may account for not looking as quick over the first 10 yards as his combine suggested.

It could be part of the route in some cases. His first 10 yards as well as the quickness and smoothness he gets in and out of his breaks with are two of his biggest strengths.

LB Ryan Shazier is the closest thing I have seen to Sean Taylor, although he play's LB he may be able to adapt at safety, regardless the kid is a player!

For some reason I cannot copy and paste on this site, nor add links......highlights a no go.

What? 

LB Ryan Shazier is the closest thing I have seen to Sean Taylor, although he play's LB he may be able to adapt at safety, regardless the kid is a player!

For some reason I cannot copy and paste on this site, nor add links......highlights a no go.

I wouldn't take Shazier unless we were going back to 4-3. I wouldn't draft him to play safety.

I tend to agree, to small for a 3-4 lb, and you need to be damn sure he can play safety if you take him early in the 2nd, kid can really get after it though!

He checked in at 6'1 237.

NaVorro Bowman is 6' 242.

Patrick Willis 6'1 240. 

Lawrence Olajuwon Timmons 6' 234.

Donald Butler 6' 242.

and the list goes on. 

To be honest I also thought that most ILB's where around 250 but this shows that Shazier is not to small. 

I do believe that he might struggle to fight blockers but I think he can play ILB. Haz like his dline to fight with the oline. Frazier can just run around and hit anything with a football. He also gives you great versatility because of his cover skills. 

I tend to agree, to small for a 3-4 lb, and you need to be damn sure he can play safety if you take him early in the 2nd, kid can really get after it though!

Shazier is my favorite player in this draft next to Allen Robinson. I think his talents will outweigh his size and I believe he can transition to the 3-4 just fine. Of course this is just my opinion but I would definitely take him if he's still there in the second.

Another look back at the previous SAF class for context/compare to the current class:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/354190-2013-comprehensive-nfl-draft-database/?p=9379077

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:s

Last years final grades (in green) of the SAF from nfl.com:

Cyprien, John
Pick 1, Round 2 (33)
Jaguars

Vaccaro, Kenny
Pick 15, Round 1 (15)
Saints

Reid, Eric
Pick 18, Round 1 (18)
49ers

Swearinger, D.J.
Pick 25, Round 2 (57)
Texans

Elam, Matt
Pick 32, Round 1 (32)
Ravens

Wilcox, J.J.
Pick 18, Round 3 (80)
Cowboys

Williams, Shawn
Pick 22, Round 3 (84)
Bengals

Thomas, Phillip
Pick 22, Round 4 (119)
Redskins

Motta, Zeke
Pick 38, Round 7 (244)
Falcons

Thomas, Shamarko
Pick 14, Round 4 (111)
Steelers

Evans, Josh
Florida
Pick 1, Round 6 (169)
Jaguars

Williams, Duke
Pick 8, Round 4 (105)
Bills

Boyett, John
Pick 24, Round 6 (192)
Colts

McDonald, T.J.
Pick 9, Round 3 (71)
Rams

Wolff, Earl
Pick 3, Round 5 (136)
Eagles

Rambo, Bacarri
Pick 23, Round 6 (191)
Redskins

He checked in at 6'1 237.

NaVorro Bowman is 6' 242.

Patrick Willis 6'1 240.

Lawrence Olajuwon Timmons 6' 234.

Donald Butler 6' 242.

and the list goes on.

To be honest I also thought that most ILB's where around 250 but this shows that Shazier is not to small.

I do believe that he might struggle to fight blockers but I think he can play ILB. Haz like his dline to fight with the oline. Frazier can just run around and hit anything with a football. He also gives you great versatility because of his cover skills.

He might have the body type but he doesn't have what it takes to play ILB. His game is 100% speed and if he don't have a NT that eats blocks he will struggle mightily.

Despite his speed, he didn't really impress me in zone coverage iirc, I watched a bunch of his film a few weeks ago.

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a player with more coachable faults in this draft than Shazier. He does have one natural quality that linebackers can take a very long, especially 3-4 ILBs, in that when he isn't bewildered by the fact that there's a blocker in front of him he has that ability to uncoil and strike, generating a substantial amount of power without any downhill momentum at his back. It's maddening at times to watch his film because if he shuffled his feet more consistently and used his hands, offensive lineman would have a very hard time engaging him. He also HAS to start playing with his eyes more and arriving at the ball carrier with more control. If we still had Spanos on our staff he would be a very good pick at 34.

I'd probably have him take boxing lessons too so he can better use his hands to keep OLs the heck off of him.

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a player with more coachable faults in this draft than Shazier. He does have one natural quality that linebackers can take a very long, especially 3-4 ILBs, in that when he isn't bewildered by the fact that there's a blocker in front of him he has that ability to uncoil and strike, generating a substantial amount of power without any downhill momentum at his back. It's maddening at times to watch his film because if he shuffled his feet more consistently and used his hands, offensive lineman would have a very hard time engaging him. He also HAS to start playing with his eyes more and arriving at the ball carrier with more control. If we still had Spanos on our staff he would be a very good pick at 34.

I'd probably have him take boxing lessons too so he can better use his hands to keep OLs the heck off of him.

Actually with Olivadotti I wouldn't complain either if he was the pick. He seemed to do well with his guys as well 

Archived