Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

We can do that in every round we have a pick in 

Dukes - I personally feel that an impact NT is critical for the sucess of this D. My understanding is that impact NTs are few and far between and they would likely go high in the draft.

Therefore, I think that we'd need to go with our first pick. Thoughts?

Dukes - I personally feel that an impact NT is critical for the sucess of this D. My understanding is that impact NTs are few and far between and they would likely go high in the draft.

Therefore, I think that we'd need to go with our first pick. Thoughts?

Well unless Louis Nix is there in round 2, we'd be making a major mistake. 

I don't think he's a value pick in the 2nd either but I don't think he's there in the 3rd and when you look at deep threats in this class he's the 3rd best guy.  Some team like SF won't worry about value on him, but not sure if we can afford that.  I loved the way he adjusted to the deep ball.  He's not like Hankerson, he's basically Aldrick in Hankerson's body.  I wouldn't be ecstatic about him in round 2 but he's a pick that I'd understand.

I agree. Value is relative in the draft. If a player you want will be gone by your next pick it doesn't make much sense to me to pass on them because of perceived value. The market is the market. You respect your board and you gotta read the trends. The old saying goes better 1 round early then 1 pick too late.

IF Bryant didn't learn any other routes then those he ran in college he would still have an instant role in this offense because of his physical skillset. Big, tall, fast, ability to high point. I like your comparison of Aldrick in Hankerson's body and at 6'5 he's even taller then Hank and he can jump. You plug him into Aldrick's role and some of those long open incompletions turn into big plays, some of those jump balls are caught and more jump balls are thrown, there is another RZ fade option other then Reed. One could argue that those alone would warrant a 2nd round pick and be a huge boost to the passing game and offense. Maybe team would respect Bryant enough to draw some safety help deep? Thus creating more space etc...

But then again, maybe the team might like someone like Donte Moncrief in the 3rd round? He could provide some of the same vertical receiver ability but is a more well rounded receiver.

Just looked up Nix and seems like he's projected in first round.

Damn.

Late first. Could easily slide.

Yeah, based on what I've read about him, there's no way he lasts into the 20's, much less 34.

His combine and injury have pushed him down the boards very far. I could see him falling. He is a 2 down guy who many think doesn't have a very high ceiling.

Yeah, based on what I've read about him, there's no way he lasts into the 20's, much less 34. 

Any of the other NTs worth a look w/ our 2nd rounder? Any of them considered "impact" - no sense in drafting a guy who is unlikely to make a difference, or even start. If that is case, would rather use pick on OL, CB, or tall WR.

Any of the other NTs worth a look w/ our 2nd rounder? Any of them considered "impact" - no sense in drafting a guy who is unlikely to make a difference, or even start. If that is case, would rather use pick on OL, CB, or tall WR.

No not at all really. Ego Ferguson is worth a 3rd tho.

Late first. Could easily slide.

His combine and injury have pushed him down the boards very far. I could see him falling. He is a 2 down guy who many think doesn't have a very high ceiling.

Does he stack up against that guy from the Chiefs (Poe)?

Mike Mayock's updated his Top 5 positional rankings for the Post-Combine.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330427/article/mike-mayocks-updated-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft

Notable changes.  He dropped Cyril Richardson out of his top 5 guards.  He's basically cheating here, but he's saying this draft is loaded with WR talent.  He's now included Tuitt, despite Tuitt breaking his foot.

Posted this over in FA thread but it's OT there and was spurned from a "trade Orakpo" comment.

What if we traded Orakpo and Cousins to Oakland for the 5th pick. Traded 5th pick (aka Sammy Watkins) to the Jets for their 1st (18), 2nd (49), 3rd (69) and 4th (111). Then trade 1st (18) and 4th (111) from Jets to Carolina who wants Ebron at TE for their 1st (28) and 2nd (60).

You'd end up with: 

1st, three 2nds, two 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

28, 34, 49, 60, 66, 69, 98, 130, 162, 194

Could draft Brandin Cooks, Dee Ford, Lamarcus Joyner, Martavis Bryant, Cyril Richardson, Christian Jones, Seantrel Henderson, Brent Urban, Aaron Murray, Punter

That's pretty much a pipe dream though. Oh well haha.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330427/article/mike-mayocks-updated-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft

Notable changes. He dropped Cyril Richardson out of his top 5 guards. He's basically cheating here, but he's saying this draft is loaded with WR talent. He's now included Tuitt, despite Tuitt breaking his foot.

Lol @ Trai Turner at 5. Mayock looks so much into the combine.

Lol @ Trai Turner at 5. Mayock looks so much into the combine.

In this case, just the 40 time (which, granted, was impressive for any Olineman, especially a Guard). Turner didn't do any of the drills that require lateral agility though, said he's saving those for his pro day.  

In this case, just the 40 time (which, granted, was impressive for any Olineman, especially a Guard). Turner didn't do any of the drills that require lateral agility though, said he's saving those for his pro day.

His film left me pretty unimpressed too. His injury history is extensive iirc.

Well, just did a quick check on things. MM places Jason Verrett as his #5 overall CB. CBS places him as their #3 overall CB. Draft Scout places him #3 overall as well, for the CBs.

Going with Mayock's #5 overall ranking, just for argument's sake, the average overall draft pick, for the #5 overall CB, over the last 5 drafts, is #44.6.

This is, however, using Wiki for numbers verification research. So, for example, the 2009 draft on Wiki's page, Malcolm Jenkins was listed as a CB. MJ obviously plays Safety for New Orleans.

There's always some discrepancy with Wiki.

Anyway, the #44.6, that's a bit skewed because of the 2012 and 2009 drafts.

look below:

5th CB - #36 overall (2nd round)

5th CB - #62 overall (2nd round)

5th CB - #34 overall (2nd round)

5th CB - #32 overall (1st round)

5th CB - #59 overall (2nd round)

So, if I had to ballpark it, I'd look more at 2013 (#36), 2011 (#34) and 2010 (#32) as the indicator as to where the 5th overall CB gets selected.

There is some hope that Verrett is available at #34 ...

But if teams rank him more like #3 overall for the CBs, he's gone in the 1st ...

There is some hope that Verrett is available at #34 ...

But if teams rank him more like #3 overall for the CBs, he's gone in the 1st ...

I think part of it deals with where teams project Verrett to go.  I read something indicating teams view Verrett as a future Nickel.  That would explain his fall to 5th best since he isn't a "starter".  We ran with Amerson, Wilson, and Hall on the field for about 2/3rds of our defensive snaps.  If we drafted Verrett, and even though he'd be a Nickel for us, he'd be getting a lot of playing time and would seriously upgrade our defense.

One of the reasons we lost the 49ers game, was because they targeted whoever Josh Wilson was covering.  Wilson never gets his head turned around and can never make a play on the ball, so teams will throw all day against him without fear of an interception plus the chance of pass interference.

While Verrett may not have David Amerson level hands, he does make a lot of plays for the ball.  It would also limit how much we'd be dinked and dunked to death.  Since we can't tackle, and don't have tight coverage in short routes, a nickel corner like Verrett would be a big upgrade.  (This is also why I think Telvin Smith would be a big upgrade)  There are a lot of different ways that I feel like we could seriously improve our defense this season.

Any of the other NTs worth a look w/ our 2nd rounder? Any of them considered "impact" - no sense in drafting a guy who is unlikely to make a difference, or even start. If that is case, would rather use pick on OL, CB, or tall WR.

Da'Quan Jones in Round 3 would be the best option or Justin Ellis in round 4 

Verrett would be a big upgrade.  (This is also why I think Telvin Smith would be a big upgrade)

Somehow or another we are agreeing on a lot of things this offseason. I don't recall it being that way before.

What's going on? Are the geomagnetic planes reversing polarity?

Archived