Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I see CBS Sportsline has Brooks in the 3-4th round range.

Does that still seem reasonable?

yeah, I guess that is reasonable.

I focus more on rankings then SAFs then draft round projections.

I had him and Dixon with the same ranking but Brooks 4.41 will move him ahead of Dixon for me.

I'm kinda surprised he ran that fast actually.

My SAF rankings headed into the combine:

(1) Deone Bucannon

(2) Jimmie Ward

(3) Calvin Pryor

(4) HaSean Clinton Dix

(6) Ahmad Dixon

(6a) Craig Luston

(5) Terrance Brooks

(7) Ed Reynolds

(8) Don Bailey more 'DB' then SAF

^^That was my pre-combine list.

Deone Bucannon quietly had one of the best combine of any DB.

Top 5 performer in almost every category:4.49+19 reps+3rd vert+2nd broad+3rd 3 cone

Yet somehow no one is talking about him.

SAF cont.

I would love to land Bucannon in the 2nd or 3rd but I have a hard time believing he'll be there.

But, I think there is a good chance that we'll have a chance at Bucannon, Ward, Pryor or HaSean at pick 34 or someone like Brooks, Loston and Dixon in the 4th.

Now I'm looking to see who bounces back with good 40 times at their pro-day out of Loston and Dixon.

(More philosophical then specifically about Archer)

Problem is there aren't enough coordinators that know/are willing to change/massage there offense to get the most out of that skillset. There are a bunch of players I could see that could/should be used in similar role as your Harvins, McCluster and the Reggie Bush's of the league but alas...Anyhow you try to get them in space against a LB or SAF even if that means you pass more on 1st down and have a texas or china route vs a LB take the place of a run.

Yep, some people had questions about Archer in the slot so I put up an example.

A look back at the 2013 SAFs:

First round:
Kenny Vaccaro (81.2 percent) -- Played in 14 games, all starts, for the Saints' second-ranked pass defense. His 77 tackles were second-most among rookie safeties.
Eric Reid (92.3 percent) -- Started all 16 games for the 49ers' seventh-ranked pass defense. His four interceptions led all rookie safeties, while his 70 tackles were fourth-most among that group.
Matt Elam (93.9 percent) -- Played in 16 games, making 15 starts for the Ravens. His 76 tackles were third among rookie safeties.

Second round:
Johnathan Cyprien (93.3 percent) -- Started 15 games for the Jaguars, leading all rookie safeties in playing time. He forced two fumbles, more than any other rookie safety, while adding an interception and a sack. His 98 tackles also led rookie safeties.
D.J. Swearinger (77.6 percent) -- Played in all 16 games, making 10 starts for the Texans' third-ranked pass defense. He recorded 67 tackles, one forced fumble and one interception.

Third round:
Tyrann Mathieu (72.1 percent) -- Converted from cornerback and started 11 games before an injury ended his season. He recorded two interceptions, one sack and one forced fumble for the Cardinals.
T.J. McDonald (60.7 percent) -- Spent eight weeks on injured reserve, but still started 10 games for the Rams. He had 53 tackles, one sack and one interception.
J.J. Wilcox (44.7 percent) -- Played in 13 games, making five starts for the Cowboys' 30th-ranked pass defense.
Shawn Williams (1.1 percent) -- Played in 16 games but did not make any starts for the Bengals' fifth-ranked pass defense. His 10 special teams tackles were second among rookie safeties.
Duron Harmon (37.3 percent) -- Played in 15 games, making three starts for the Patriots. He recorded 31 tackles and made two interceptions.

Fourth round:
Duke Williams (2.8 percent) -- Played in 16 games but did not make any starts for the Bills' fourth-ranked pass defense. He finished with four special teams tackles.
Shamarko Thomas (17.8 percent) -- Played in 14 games for the Steelers, making two starts. He contributed seven tackles on special teams.
Phillip Thomas (no snaps) -- Missed the entire season for the Redskins with a Lisfranc injury.

Fifth round:
Earl Wolff (43.6 percent) -- Played in 11 games, making six starts for the Eagles' 32nd-ranked pass defense.
Jonathan Meeks (no snaps) -- Played in eight games, missing eight games with an ankle injury. He added two tackles on special teams.
Cooper Taylor (0.4 percent) -- Played in 10 games, all as a reserve for the Giants. He had four special teams tackles.

Sixth round:
Josh Evans (60.0 percent) -- Played in 15 games, starting 11 games for the Jaguars' 25th-ranked pass defense. His 54 tackles were seventh among rookie safeties.
Jamoris Slaughter (no snaps) -- Spent all season on the Browns' practice squad.
Bacarri Rambo (32.7 percent) -- Played in 11 games, making three starts for the Redskins. He notched 38 tackles, including five on special teams.
John Boyett (no snaps) -- Was placed on the non-football injury list prior to training camp. He was arrested on public intoxication charges in September and later released by the Colts.

Seventh round:
Kemal Ishmael (0.2 percent) -- Was active for four games for the Falcons, adding one tackle on special teams.
Zeke Motta (15 percent) -- Played in 10 games for the Falcons, making one start.
Daimion Stafford (0.8 percent) -- Played in 16 games, all as a reserve for the Titans. He added seven tackles on special teams.
Don Jones (no snaps) -- Played in 16 games, all as a reserve for the Dolphins. His 11 special teams tackles led all rookie safeties.

Undrafted free agents:
Jeff Heath (52.4 percent) -- Played in 16 games, starting nine games for the Cowboys' 30th-ranked pass defense. His 52 tackles were ninth-most among rookie safeties.
Jahleel Addae (36.9 percent) -- Played in 16 games, making two starts for the Chargers' 29th-ranked pass defense. His nine special teams tackles were third-most among rookie safeties.
Robert Lester (28.5 percent) -- Played in 12 games, starting four games for the Panthers' sixth-ranked pass defense. His three interceptions were second-most among rookie safeties.
Tony Jefferson (18.6 percent) -- Played in 16 games, making two starts for the Cardinals' 14th-ranked pass defense. He added six tackles on special teams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/tag/_/name/duke-williams

Deone Bucannon quietly had one of the best combine of any DB.

Top 5 performer in almost every category:4.49+19 reps+3rd vert+2nd broad+3rd 3 cone

Yet somehow no one is talking about him.

I went back looked at some tape of him he reminds me a little of Bernard Pollard who plays with the Titians. The one weakness I see with Bucannon at times he gets lost in  pass coverage.  I currently have him as third best in my position rankings.  Video Clip:

I went back looked at some tape of him he reminds me a little of Bernard Pollard who plays with the Titians. The one weakness I see with Bucannon at times he gets lost in  pass coverage.  I currently have him as third best in my position rankings. 

I don't understand what you mean exactly by 'at times he gets lost in coveage'?

Do you have examples? B/c Deone looks solid in coverage to me.

And I watched a handful of his cut-ups and charted 2 games.

He reminds me of a cross between Eric Reid and a lighter/faster Kam Chancelor.

But I could see a lil Pollard.

Don't wanna burst your bubble but if anyone with a brain and a pair of eyes, hell, just 1 eye can see that this draft is loaded.  Everyone and their mama will be wanting to trade back for more picks.  I felt good having Shanny at the helm on draft day.  Gruden I'm nervous about.....  I take it he will take address the offensive side of the ball with the #2 opposed to defense.  Im guessing OL/WR with #2.

I can vouch for that. I've only got one eye.

I don't understand what you mean exactly by 'at times he gets lost in coveage'?

Do you have examples? B/c Deone looks solid in coverage to me.

And I watched a handful of his cut-ups and charted 2 games.

He reminds me of a cross between Eric Reid and a lighter/faster Kam Chancelor.

But I could see a lil Pollard.

I think it's less him being "lost" in coverage as it is him being lost in space. The Oregon game is sort of conflicting me, because that is not an NFL offense and many of the situations you won't see, but also he played noticeably worse than his other games and wasnt nearly the dynamic run defender. I know that comment was directed at someone else but I thought id add my two cents.

If Shanny was so great, why did every pick after round 1 besides Morris tank or not produced at a starters level ?

Exactly. His fixation for drafting running backs bordered on the insane. I still can't believe we drafted 2. Really Mike?

I think it's less him being "lost" in coverage as it is him being lost in space. The Oregon game is sort of conflicting me, because that is not an NFL offense and many of the situations you won't see, but also he played noticeably worse than his other games and wasnt nearly the dynamic run defender. I know that comment was directed at someone else but I thought id add my two cents.

Exactly. His fixation for drafting running backs bordered on the insane. I still can't believe we drafted 2. Really Mike?

I don't mind at all feel free to join any dicussion its the draft thread.

But, I don't understand what you mean by lost in space. I mean specifically. I can't do generic when it comes to discussing prospects.

The Oregon game wasn't one of D.Bucs better games. He missed a tackle early on against Mariota. But when I look at the whole picture not just a handful of plays and every SAF eventually misses a tackle here or there. But even in this poor game by Buc's standards he didn't miss as many as some other prospects missed in their 'bad' games.

The jury is still out on jarvis jenkins, hankerson, helu, Josh L(joke). Besides Trent we drafted absolute trash on the OLine. Our starters are trash from other teams.

To be fair we really haven't invested high picks on the oline for awhile. Other than Trent we have 5th and 6th rounders riddling the depth chart, with no real "talent" (outside of Compton and dare I say, Lerib).

I don't mind at all feel free to join any dicussion its the draft thread.

But, I don't understand what you mean by lost in space. I mean specifically. I can't do generic when it comes to discussing prospects.

The Oregon game wasn't one of D.Bucs better games. He missed a tackle early on against Mariota. But when I look at the whole picture not just a handful of plays and every SAF eventually misses a tackle here or there. But even in this poor game by Buc's standards he didn't miss as many as some other prospects missed in their 'bad' games.

Well, what I mean is that when Oregon spread them out and forced Buc to move back, he looked a little slow and out of place. There was that missed tackle that sprang Mariota but there were also a few screen passes that Buc was covering that he was a little slow getting over on and a crossing pattern early that he was a step late on that could've gone for more. He also took some very suspect angles at times. I think Bucs is probably better suited to an in the box kinda role ( as many were predicting before the combine) which is why a Pollard comparison is an ok one. It wasn't so much that he was noticeably bad it was more than he wasn't noticeable at all, and seemed to make little impact. Phillip Thomas vs Oregon was actually very similar (and Philip had his fair share of bad plays too) but he also made some eye opening NFL caliber plays like strip sacking Marota, for example.

We need someone who can direct traffic at the safety position, so my guess is that we sign a free agent such as Antoine Bethea. Let Thomas and Rambo develop, hoping that one can start game one.  Of course, it seems there's always Doughty.  Maybe we pick up a CB to play nickel with Hall and Amerson.  I hope Crawford comes back strong.  After watching the combine, my draft might go as follows:

2nd:  Brandin Cooks WR (no one looked more focused or hungrier than this kid with lights out speed)

3rd:   Chris Borland ILB

4th:   Joel Bitonio  G (wouldn't be suprised if we get Anthony Collins in FA to play RT)

5th:   Taylor Hart  DE

6th:   Antone Exum S/CB

7th:   Jeff Janis WR (tall and fast with decent hands)

Some other late round guys who impressed me:  Michael Campanaro WR, Joel Navjar TE, Jordan Tripp ILB

For the Redskins, everything’s on the line

http://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2014/02/25/for-the-redskins-everythings-on-the-line/

Griffin should be healthy this year and Gruden’s task will be meshing what the coach’s system does best with what Griffin does well. Gruden can’t force the passer to run particular plays like the preceding staff did.

Still, the coach knows Griffin won’t last long if the quarterback continues to dance behind the line, so Gruden’s creating more five- to seven-step drops to give Griffin more time to see defenders.

But — and here’s the whole point of the five-day combine for Washington — the team needs four new linemen. Without a first-round pick, there was no need to watch quarterback Johnny Manziel or defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. The Redskins scouted offensive linemen Taylor Lewan of Michigan and Zack Martin of Notre Dame and will scheme over the next two months how they can trade back into the first round to get a premier tackle like those two.

Also, they looked at guards Gabe Jackson of Mississippi State and Cyril Richardson of Baylor, trying to decide which they like more for second- or third-round options. And, it didn’t hurt looking at centers like Travis Swanson of Arkansas and Gabe Ikard of Oklahoma.

Free agency will largely decide who the Redskins draft. But it’s hard to find starting veteran linemen on the market. In free agency, there are always decent receivers or corners available, but teams rarely let quality linemen depart because there aren’t enough around the league.

The Redskins need to build a unit around left tackle Trent Williams. Fixing the offensive line is even more essential if Griffin is going to spend more time in the pocket. Washington absolutely has to replace aging guard Chris Chester, right tackle Tyler Polumbus and center Will Montgomery.

Not sure what some others are talking about but this article is spot on! I've watched all the games over and without question the o-line was the weakest link on our team. Not to mention as a GM your always evaluating ways to draft the players you really want.

So If a team like the Bengals want to trade back for a 1st next year and one of the top prospects we really want is still on the board .. we should will pull the trigger! The draft is about getting players you want not players you think could workout.

He better not get worked too hard by Oregon because we get a dose of that twice a year for the foreseeable future. I'm with you on dbuc, this year's safety class isn't that good and it may be best to not reach for one. There will be better players at the top of round 3.

Well, what I mean is that when Oregon spread them out and forced Buc to move back, he looked a little slow and out of place. There was that missed tackle that sprang Mariota but there were also a few screen passes that Buc was covering that he was a little slow getting over on and a crossing pattern early that he was a step late on that could've gone for more. He also took some very suspect angles at times. I think Bucs is probably better suited to an in the box kinda role ( as many were predicting before the combine) which is why a Pollard comparison is an ok one. It wasn't so much that he was noticeably bad it was more than he wasn't noticeable at all, and seemed to make little impact.

you could literally say this about any SAF prospect in a particular game and it would be true. It's a generic critique without context. 'Looked a little slow and out of place' but you site him missing 1 tackle early and being a step late on A crossing pattern. 'A little slow getting over' on a few screens- now c'mon you gotta see how this is generic/nit picky/ subjective.

How are you objectively judging this compared to other prospects?

'Took some suspect angles' again I need a little context.

But then at the end you say he "wasn't noticeably bad".

My point is looking at a prospect and cherry pick some plays does lead to an accurate assessment nor ranking.

An assessment is made by weighing the negative plays AND the positive plays vs the total number of plays. For me to truely get a read and have a good discussion on a prospect we have to give more info.

I think if we have to take more then a casual view of a game to have a more accurate assessment.

I think the things Buc is being panned for here are the very strengths of his game. Speed/ aggression to the ball. By my count ( and I've counted) fewest missed tackles of any SAF prospect; most consistent form; most pop with his tackles. He wasn't used as single post SAF often but made plays in coverage. Made a great read and react int playing 2-deep that is a great example of his ability you want from a SAF playing on the back half in one of the games I charted this season.(will site later on the phone)

I remember having a similar SS vs FS argument about Reid, McDonald and Vacarro last year. I think people confuse didn't do in college vs can't do. I had Reid and McDonald as FS despite the view many held that they were SS. And I had Vacacrro as a SS. I say that to say the draftnik consensus isn't alway right and they way a prospect was used in college doesn't limit them in the NFL. Their skillset will determine how they can be used. And Buc shows the skillset to play either Free or Strong; which was loudly reinforced by his combine.

Not sure what some others are talking about but this article is spot on! I've watched all the games over and without question the o-line was the weakest link on our team. Not to mention as a GM your always evaluating ways to draft the players you really want.

So If a team like the Bengals want to trade back for a 1st next year and one of the top prospects we really want is still on the board .. we should will pull the trigger! The draft is about getting players you want not players you think could workout.

Well, I agree wholeheartedly with it too. I've felt strongly for a while those players needed replacing ASAP and hearing how the Skins are focusing on OL leaves me feeling very optimistic about the new staff thus far.

I feel like with Gruden he's going to invest more in the OL and not just make it a whole "I can draft our guys later and we're fine deal"

Agreed.. Seems like Gruden brings up the "Oline was pushed back a bit on 3rd downs" in almost every interview when he's asked about the offense. Everyone should remember that first and foremost Gruden  was a QB and knows what it's like to be in pocket firsthand.Expect him to do what most former QB's turned Head Coaches do and that's build a strong line to protect the QB while surrounding him with weapons to get the job done. Don't expect all of it to happen in one offseason, but fans should understand this is a rebuilding project not a retooling. 

Archived