Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Es Coverage - Redskins V Bills (Final)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage - Redskins v Bills

08/24/13

9585704373_d04f2a680e_z.jpg

Redskins 30 - Bills 7

Welcome my friends to Extremeskins coverage of the Washington Redskins verses the Buffalo Bills. My name is JimmiJo and I am joined by my eternal partner, Murf. Together we will bring you the finest fanboy Redskins coverage available.

When I heard I would be again paired up with the tall one I literally wet myself. It is just like old times. Since 2006 I have covered with the big guy, and wouldn't have it any other way.

So today is the all-important game three of the Preseason. Only this time it should prove anti-climatic. The starting quarterback is out, still recovering from last season. The shiny backup is likewise injured, and we are left with the spectacle of a Rex Grossman start.

While you digest that, I am going to get myself together here in the press box. Murf is already arrived and on the sidelines for some pregame shots. Feel free to post a few questions and I will do my best to answer.

The team is wearing white jerseys and yellow pants. Before you get too excited though, it should be the traditional helmet.

Stand by...

Update:

The following players are not expected to play

• RGIII
  • Kirk Cousins
  • Evan Royster
  • Brandon Meriweather
  • Ryan Mouton
  • Phillip Thomas
  • Jeremy Kimbrough
  • Roddrick Muckelroy
  • Jacolby Ashworth
  • Barry Cofield

4:10 Pressbox Report

They are offering a good spread today. Baked chicken with a rice pilaf, steamed broccoli, and mixed green salad with a choice of dressings. There are also cookies and pretzels.

We give it a 7-out-of-10. Not bad for preseason.

Murf is making his way downstairs and I am gearing up to go.

Pregame Thoughts

With both RGIII and Cousins out, we are left with an immobile quarterback in Rex Grossman to start. I think this is actually good news as it will give the offensive line a good test against an aggressive Bills' front seven. Depending on how many tackles the team keeps, today could help the coaches decide which way they want to go in terms of guys like Tony Pashos and Tom Compton.

I also want to see how guys like Josh LeRibeus play. In his second year, and with reports of poor fitness coming into camp; I want to see if he can keep up.

If we get good Rex, I am anxious to see which receiver steps up to claim the final roster spots.

Also want to see Roy Helu continue to impress. Based on what we've seen so far I expect him to be the third-down back, but want to see him continue his positive preseason.

Talk at the half.

Be sure to follow me in-game on Twitter @Skinscast

Half

That was by far the most complete half of the preseason for Washington. Both sides of the ball belonged to the Redskins and the only area I can be critical in is penalties. Washington continues to give other teams chances with flags.

Got to give credit to Grossman, White, Robinson and Helu. All played very well. Defensively I like what I am seeing from Darryl Tapp and Brandon Jenkins.

The Redskins rightfully lead 20-7 with good execution and playmaking.

JimmiJo

Like I said at halftime, this was by far the most balanced effort Washington and in some ways, it was the dress rehearsal the team needed.

The Redskins dominated statistically. The out-gained the Bills 452 to 155. They rushed for 208 yards. They passed for 244. They dominated time of possession 38:52 to 21:08. They spread the ball to 15 different receivers. They defended well, limiting the rushing attack of Buffalo to under 100 yards and contained big plays. Better still; Washington forced fumbles on defense and
teams.

The good effort is reflected on the scoreboard, with the Redskins winning; 30-7.

But there are questions coming out of this game along with room for improvement. No matter what happened today, the top two quarterbacks were out for Washington. Robert Griffin III has yet to play and Kirk Cousins missed with a mild foot sprain. With the season set to begin in a few weeks we
don’t know what the offense is going to look like week 1.

While everyone expects Griffin to start – we all wonder how sharp he will be with no offseason and no preseason. Interesting that his first snap will be week 1 against Philly and under the microscope of Monday Night Football they will surely be interested in pressuring the returning quarterback.

The bottom line is without Griffin and Cousins on the field, we cannot consider this a real dress rehearsal for the offense. That said; Washington mopped up the floor with Buffalo today so that does say something.

But we should not get too hyped up about beating this team. Kevin Kolb was hurt early and Jeff Tuel didn’t make a strong argument to start somewhere. This put the load on C.J. Spiller and to Washington’s credit, they did well to limit his effectiveness. That said, Buffalo never looked formidable even with Kolb so maybe that’s a testament to the defense.

The defense has been improving since the first week when they allowed Chris Johnson to gut them up the middle twice. Spiller and the Bills’ offense was largely contained all day. Washington limited Buffalo to just eight first downs.

But one thing the defense has not improved upon is penalties. A theme of this preseason has been personal flags which extend drives. Not sure if this is something which can be corrected once the games count, but I don’t think so.

The other issue the team had today was redzone efficiency. Washington settled for too many field goals and while the score-line looks nice, it should have been much worse for Buffalo. Especially when you get possession at their five yard line. They need to improve upon this.

So here’s who helped themselves today:

• Roy Helu – 91 all-purpose yards·
  • Aldrick Robinson – led all receivers with 4 catches for 61 yards·
  • Bryan Kehl – Forced fumble and 3 combined tackles·
  • Darryl Tapp – Five combined tackles, one pass defended and one quarterback hurry
  • Brandon Jenkins – made plays and was generally disruptive

Of this group, I am probably most encouraged by Helu. Both in how he is playing as well as his perspective. The guy is laid-back and thoughtful and you can tell in talking to him that he is enjoying the return from injury. Take a second and listen to his interview.

The real tragedy of today is the loss of Richard Crawford for the year. The Redskins made a point of trying to get better in the secondary but here is another blow for the unit.

Finally, there is the battle of the third string quarterback. While I agree Pat White probably has more upside than the known quantity Rex Grossman is; I couldn’t find anyone here who thought White has any real chance to take the job from Rex.

Well, would love to say more but have to run. Had a blast covering with Murf again. I am not sure what game I cover next but I dare say you will see me again soon.

Audio

https://soundcloud.com/extremeskins/sets/pre-season-week-3

Photos

HERE

Has anybody said why Royster is not playing?  Seems odd. 

I guess we're just insuring our roster spots being as it seems set The Butler, Helu, Royster and Young are the 4 backs. Maybe Helu gets 10-20 plays tonight. Royster similar Thursday?

I hope we see nothing of Thompson either the next two games so we can stash him. Pity about JJ who looks like he'll be cut. But thems the breaks with a growing depth.

Hail.  

Rex playing three series and no more. 

Putting White in the shop window perhaps for a desperate read option team? Or just safeguarding our third option?

Hail. 

Me thinks just protecting Rex in case the unthinkable happens and Robert AND the Captain are not ready for Week 1.  

How odd a situation would it be if Robert was ready and started, Kirk was inactive due to injury, and Rex the backup? I think my head would explode.

Why would anybody trade for White when they know he's going to get cut?  I mean, MAYBE if you LOVE him, and don't think you could claim him off waivers high enough, a 7th rounder. But, I'm not sure a lot of teams would even do that.

Archived