Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Es Coverage - Redskins V Bills (Final)

JimmiJo

Ok reality dose.

Bills overthrew at least 1 easy deep TD pass.  Bills dropped an easy pick six from Grossman.  White barely crossed the goal line before fumbling out of the end zone.  We fumbled the ball down the middle and it bounced right back to us.

This looked like a dominant performance against a team that had just beaten up 2 decent teams, but in reality, we got pretty much every break possible.  Not saying we didn't play well enough to win, we did, but 30-7 was luck.

Ok reality dose.

Bills overthrew at least 1 easy deep TD pass.  Bills dropped an easy pick six from Grossman.  White barely crossed the goal line before fumbling out of the end zone.  We fumbled the ball down the middle and it bounced right back to us.

This looked like a dominant performance against a team that had just beaten up 2 decent teams, but in reality, we got pretty much every break possible.  Not saying we didn't play well enough to win, we did, but 30-7 was luck.

Agreed. We still had too many penalties in the first half (5 or 6). The secondary was given the day off by facing the bills 3rd string QB who was an un-drafted rookie FA. Also, spiller went out early hurting their running game which is one of their few strengths going into the season.

Having said that, at least we took care of a team that we should take care of. In past years we would have found a way to make this a close game and maybe even lose. Glad to see some of the depth play well. Daryl Tapp in particular is playing at a very high level. Jenkins is going to be very good.

Ok reality dose.

Reality is...our first and second team offense with our third and fourth team qb's took it to the Bills' first team D.  Reality is...that would not have been a pick six.   Look at it again.  Santana saw it coming and was bearing down on the Bills' DB.  He has played with Rex long enough to learn to play defense at times.  Reality is...we now have depth at most positions (except for S, obviously).  My only concern right now is penalties.  They cost us every game.  They cost us a couple of games last year.  I love the fact that we are playing agressively, but we need to be smart.  The fumbles by Thompson are concerning, especially if he is going to be our PR, but hopefully he gets that straightened out.

Like the Lottery winner says, lucky money spends just like earned money.

One sign of a good team is they get breaks, lots of them.  They stay healthy and the ball always seems to bounce their way.  My takeaway from our many "breaks" Saturday is that these are the plays that used to always go against us in the past.  Now they break for us.

Call it karma, or momentum or preparedness, but face it, good teams get lucky.

---

We should cut Rex and go with White.  Rex throwing a sure pick six off his back foot under pressure brought back too many memories of squandered victories past.

Real quick, I wasn't able to watch most of the game live. But I just watched all of it and the following things stood out to me:

1. Rex Grossman is the best 3rd string QB in the league. Sure, he makes some boneheaded throws, and isn't always accurate. And he should have had that one pick that hit the defender in the hands. BUT. He's the 3rd string QB.

2. Pat White showed well. They really didn't ask him to make a lot of complex reads or run the entire offense, but what they asked him to do, he did pretty well.

3. The secondary is scary. Amerson and Rambo are rookies, and one is a 6th round rookie. Expecting them to come in and contribute right away is ... risky. There will be growing pains.

4. I didn't love the way the first team OL run blocked. Morris made wine from water a few times. But it seemed like they were getting pushed back a bit.

5. I like the front 7 on defense. There are going to be some tough cuts from that group. That might be the deepest area of the team.

6. I'm sortof coming around to the idea that what Niles Paul brings to the team is not worth keeping him around. I feel bad for the kid, because they asked him to switch positions, and if they release him, he's a player looking for a job that doesn't really have a position.

7. Aldrick Robinson looks like he might be the most improved player on the team.

8. The backup OL probably had it's best game in the last decade. There is finally a little bit of depth on the OL. The glaring problem is still RT. Both starter and backup. It's going to be very interesting to see how many and which backups they keep.

9. Helu is going to add another dimension to this offense. People forget that Shanahan traded up in the draft to pick him in the 4th round. If Shanahan trades up for a RB, he REALLY likes what he sees.

10. Came out later that Royster was hurt. And, interestingly, The Crawford injury might just cost him a roster spot. THey might need Thompson to be the return guy, and thus he wins the #3 job by default. I don't think they carry 4 RBs.

All in all, this is just such a better team and organization than even just a few years ago. Even with both starting and backup QBs out, the offense still looked efficient and moved the ball. In the past, it would have looked like the JV team, struggling to even get the plays in and lined up correctly.

Oh, one more thing: CJ Spiller should NOT have been in a preseason game after he tweaked his knee. It's one thing to lose your best player by leaving him in too long in a playoff game. It's quite another to risk your best offensive player in a meaningless preseason game.

The bills are not going to be very good this year. And the 'Skins handled a not very good team, especially in the first half, with realative ease. With their 3rd and 4th strong QBs and the most vanilla offense you can imagine.

I wasn't able to watch the game live, but wanted to provide notes. Gotta say, while I'm not a uniform guy I do play with these unis in Madden a lot. These and the throwback leather helmets are my favorites. These are my first half thoughts. - Forbath's first kick was nice - back of the endzone. I hope we see more of that. - PI call on Wilson not good. How strong is his hold on that starting spot, and for that matter how much competition is there for there for the 3rd, 4th and 5th CB spots - supposing they all make the roster? - Liked Morris and Grossman on that first drive. Grossman looked good on just about all his passes. I think his first one to Moss was behind him. Hankerson did a nice job blocking for Morris. - We should have gotten a PI call for Garcon in the end zone but it doesn't matter because we scored next play. - Forbath's second kick was WAY shorter than the first. I guess if we're going to have inconsistency somewhere, I'd rather it be on kickoffs than on FGs. Nobody's perfect - (1st and 15) Perry Riley had good position on that run play (1st and 15). Forced spiller back inside. - (2nd and 12) Rambo looked good in the flat against Spiller. (but was spiller defenseless?) - (3rd and 12) Amerson with the facemask. Doughty in zone coverage. At least he (almost) held on.- (1st and 10) Rambo with the nice open field tackle. Looks so different when he's tackling a non-RB. But great play by Buffalo blocking wise. We fell for it.

- (2nd and 6) Amerson with the nice

- (3rd and 5) Buffalo's line did a nice job providing a lane for Kolb to run through when nothing was there on the pass.

- (1st and 10) Doughty with the nice tackle. Wilson put pressure on the QB, but it was a screen.

- (2nd and 5) Amerson with the miss early that led to the long run.

- (1st and goal) No inside push

- (2nd and goal) No inside push

- grossman with the nice pass to Reed.

- helu not getting much. I think they guessed right.

- Grossman with the near pick. Was that on Robinson or Rex though?

- Moss grabbed that ball out of the air. Those are the kinds of catches we need the other guys to make.

- Helu with the nice run, but I'm just not a fan of a RB who gets all his yards running outside. Show me you can carry it inside.

- And Helu goes inside and gets nothing.

- Bad ball thrown by Grossman (wobbly), but Young adjusts and makes the catch

- Grossman with the pressure throws it away. Could he have avoided that and done more? I think so, Or at least I think Robert/Kurt could. But ah well.

- This is where Kai is money

- another good kick by Kai

- #11 with the push off on Wilson

- nothing

- almost with the sack by Golston.

- Fred Jackson is a strong dude

- Why did the guy have to suplex Crawford?

- I like how Robinson is grabbing the ball with his hands and not his chest.

- Overthrows Morgan. Like how he's spreading the ball though

- Helu with another outside run.

- Did Moss fall for no reason?

- You could see that ball going to 13 from the snap. Glad Pugh saw it too and broke it up.

- CJ Spiller runs 75 yards to get 3 yards.

- Amerson didn't turn his head around. He couldn't stop on a dime when the WR did.

- Jackson does not go down easily. And I like how, even though it was an outside run, when he saw it wasn't going anywhere he just cut it up and made us give him some yards.

- The short pass and Amerson just collapses on the tackle. But they get the first.

- Gomes (Biggers?) with the deflection. Good instincts

- Ok Missed tackle by Rambo, but then they fumble so we make a good play, but its more on the runner for dropping the ball. Yeah, that ball hit his knee

- Helu with the inside carry, but he goes down on first contact.

- White with the pass to Robinson, not quite stride, but nice.

- Helu with a more inside run, at least straight ahead instead of horizontal then vertical.

- Helu runs inside this time and does move the pile. I was disappointed at first, but good job.

- helu with the nice cutback to avoid the penentration. Fumbles and recovers it.

- High snap, Helu inside and gets a nice run, but nobody really touches him. I'm not complaining about this though.

- I freakin Love Logan! He makes the catches and doesn't go down easily. If he knew how to find open spaces in defenses, I'd call him cooley.

- Now Thompson with the same problem I have with Helu, running outside and going down easily.

- Young Beautiful blockS and White smart following it. Reminds me of a famous CP run from a few years back where he did the same thing with Sellars (for a longer distance though).

- Another kick to the goal line. I don't have a real problem with this because I like returns, but its really meh.

- 92 got off his man easily and helped stop the play.

- 92, 54, and 50 on this play.

- Was that Rambo going for the pick? Gotta get better at that, but if the corner misses, then its a big play.

- Jackson with an outside run and doesn't penetrate

- 54 (Tapp) with the deflection.

- I freakin love CHase

- I like #16 sitting at the 10 yard line.

- Ooh great play to Robinson by White. Those slant routes are beautiful if you can do them right.

- Helu with another outside run, for like 2.

- White overthrows Logan

- White again hits Robinson in stride. Another slant and it seems like Robinson and White have some chemistry.

- White with the option, and making some moves on a defender. But coulda gotten out of bounds instead of getting hit.

- Helu with the cutback, but dude didn't complete his block.

- White with the good pass that gave his WR a chance, but it wasn't good enough.

- Forbath with the nice kick

- Follows it up with a kick 7 yards deep. See it keeps them guessing.

- That pocket collapsed quickly, but he escaped. Good job Tapp

- Tapp with the pressure this time and brings him down.

- Amerson with the hard hit, but doesn't wrap up. If dude doesn't step out of bounds he could have more yards (but I think Rambo would have stopped him).

-

Second half thoughts

- Thompson's a rookie. What's Theisman talking about like he's missed time in the NFL. Add the college fact. - both WRs were covered pretty well on that one. I'd rather he kept it longer.

- Helu outside, good blocking and it was good that he had momentum on that one because he didn't go down easily.

- Helu up the middle.

- White didn't go down easily. I didn't think he'd have escaped but if he did, it coulda been pretty

- White goes down again. They overloaded that guard/tackle slot and nobody picked up the extra man.

- good job by the defense getting in the backfield

- Nice jib by 46 readjng Tool

- I love Chase.

- Wow Grossman finds #19 in space (who is this in studio? I thought she was the voice from the computers)

- Thompson trying to run outside and gets 6.

- Thompson again but a yard short

- Nice pass by Grossman to Reed.

- Thompson fubmles and is lucky that Bryant recovers it because it was not looking pretty.

- Grossman didn't see anything and wisely just curled up and went down

- Compton did a good job blocking his man. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the other side.

- Screen and Chase is ALL OVER IT. Did I say I love Chase!

- Nice job of group tackling.

- 46 and Kehl on that one.

- Thompson outside gets the first.

- Thompson with the nice lane on the pitch. I was sure he'd only get 1 or 2.

- White to Reed in stride. If only he had more separation coulda been 6. (another slant)

- that cutback saved White and some yards.

- White with the pressure had an open man, but couldn't take advantage of it.

- Incomplete

- Gotta make that catch. Nice job Lewis.

- i missed that play

- Thompson couldn't move the pile

- How you gonna shovel to a guy with 3 guys on him?

OK. I don't think I can do this any more. I'm dozing off and I'm out of cheez-its.

Damn. Reading the Bills message boards does two things for me:

1. It pumps me up a little bit because now WE are the roster that people are making excuses about--"they're a deep team, of course their depth kicked our depths ass", "they have talent 1st string to 3rd string and a HOF head coach, stop being chicken littles", etc.

2. It makes me sad a little bit because those Bills message boards are exactly where we were just a couple years ago--talking about how it's only preseason, the defense was super vanilla and the coaches are hiding things (vanilla??!! The Bills have been blitzing like 80% of the time all preseason and game planning like its a regular season game--other teams' coaches have been complaining about it, it's so obvious. They were not vanilla.), blah blah blah. I hope EJ Manuel is the real deal for them because that fan base deserves success and deserves a QB.

I've already lost a lot of it, but im gonna post the good stuff that I find now. This is fun.

Plus I think the Skins are going to be one of the best teams in football. Damn, they look solid, and appear to have depth, and I don't think I'm saying that just because our team looked so bad.

It was very disappointing to say the least to watch them play. Washington is a legit playoff and superbowl contender. It shows us how far we need to go to be a contender again.

May god bless the redskins cheerleaders.

Maybe our d is only good on turf...this is embarrassing. Pat white just reamed our starting defense.

Shanny, like any good coach is going directly after Bills weakness. QBs are firing fast to negate the pass rush, which puts the pressure on the secondary. And they're not up to the task of stopping skins' fourth string QB.

Honestly, the Skins look fantastic at every level.

I know that the Bills were trying harder to win this game than the Skins and the Skins kicked there a*s in every way - with their 3rd and 4th string QBs playing....

Skins are going to be a topteir team. Talent and some beasts up front.

We were the NFC East version of the Bills for a while.  They've been stuck in QB hell for a long time too.  Reading their message board was like reading a carbon copy of our past preseason threads, with "vanilla this and that" and "we only got stomped because we are hiding our true playbook".  I hope that EJ Manuel turns out to be a stud because they have dedicated fans who have been in a long time drought just like we were.  I think he can.  I remember being relieved when they took EJ because I was hearing rumors that the Eagles wanted him and I didn't want to see him go there.

Damn. Reading the Bills message boards does two things for me:

1. It pumps me up a little bit because now WE are the roster that people are making excuses about--"they're a deep team, of course their depth kicked our depths ass", "they have talent 1st string to 3rd string and a HOF head coach, stop being chicken littles", etc.

2. It makes me sad a little bit because those Bills message boards are exactly where we were just a couple years ago--talking about how it's only preseason, the defense was super vanilla and the coaches are hiding things (vanilla??!! The Bills have been blitzing like 80% of the time all preseason and game planning like its a regular season game--other teams' coaches have been complaining about it, it's so obvious. They were not vanilla.), blah blah blah. I hope EJ Manuel is the real deal for them because that fan base deserves success and deserves a QB.

I've already lost a lot of it, but im gonna post the good stuff that I find now. This is fun.

Those were fun to read lol...thanks for the reposts.

Yeah, it would suck greatly to see Pat White move the ball on my starting D if I'm an opposing fan. And they were trying to win that game. Spiller looked like he had a serious injury for a miute and then they just toss him back out there like it's Week 8. Rookie head coach mistake right there.

Poor Bills fans. And I really mean that. 

Some more from Bills fans lol:

Pat White!!! A never was just TORCHED our starting D! I don't care what the situation is, this is not a good sign at all

Skins 2nd oline crushing our overrated defensive line

1st string defense gets shredded by 4th string QB and 2nd string Oline.

Anybody playing FFL take RG3 in the 3rd or 4th rd and win your league, the Redskins O-Line really has improved their pass pro. Our O-Line is playing good too but RG3 Back there is going to shred.

4th string QB and a 2nd team offense makes our 1st team defense look like 4th stringers themselves.

That $100 million not looking too good when it gets faked out of his cleats by Pat White.....PAT WHITE!

Pat White looked better than both QBs we trotted out there today.

Seriously, we just got shredded by rex grossman and pat white?!?! What would've Cousins done to us??

Redskins can run the football and there HC is a master at designing running plays.

Seriously, looking on FA lists....Pat White might not be a bad idea after he gets cut. The QBs available just aren't good.

Jamarcus Russell, Tyler Thigpen...are out there. Yay.

Archived