Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Virginia stolen RIP 21 Redskins license plate

Vyshus

Search the archives, I'm the guy that had the black dodge durango at franconia metro with RIP 21 tags issued on 11/27/07 and then transferred to my white tahoe.

I got off the VRE today to no tags, appears per police records the tags weren't valid on my truck and were confiscated. Truck DMV records have been wiped clean of VIN number, plates etc. We have had those plates since 2007 and renewed the tags annually! Not to mention we received a speeding ticket in May and the plates were run then....somehow in the past 8 weeks someone has stolen our claim to RIP 21 plates through DMV. It appears someone in Centreville now has them per Fairfax Police with the same issue date of 2007, black mazda, but it is a DMV matter. Amazing...

HTTR!

That really stinks.  Though, knowing the DMV, it's entirely possible that it's a DMV screwup, and nothing nefarious. If I was getting a new license plate (mine is actually a Redskins licence plate that features VOR :) ) I might try something like RIP 21, and if the DMV said it was available, I would grab it.

Unless you know that somebody "stole" them, my first guess is that the DMV stinks, and it's a glitch.

Anyway, hope you can find a way to get it back.

Okay, so I'll change "stolen" to "foul play", our record used to be there, now poof, nada, gone, no tags ever associated with truck. Yes, tags expired yesterday 7/31, dmv used to send email notification, nada, gone, poof. Super annoyed.

So you're saying the police took them? Never heard of that. Guessing the registration expired? Crazy.

The police are now corrupt government workers. Haven't you been following the news in the past few years at all? They are not the heroes they used to be. They love to abuse their power, and this could easily be just another 'game' they decided to play.

Gotta pay your registration on time.  We all get notified ;)

Sure but since when do they just come take your plates (from a public parking lot no less)? And how is it now registered to someone else with the same 2007 issue date? Something isn't adding up.

You are right, something doesn't add up ;)

But if you pay your stuff on time....

Agree with Dagoonie.. Somebody who most likely uses your same parking lot, was eyeballing your plates.. Got the call from their DMV hookup and did the dead as soon as word came down that they'd exipered.. (Don't ya love 5am conspiracy theories?) :P  Hope ya get it squared! I'd start by seeing if your parking lot has video surveillance.. See if you can follow that somehow?

Agree with Dagoonie.. Somebody who most likely uses your same parking lot, was eyeballing your plates.. Got the call from their DMV hookup and did the dead as soon as word came down that they'd exipered.. (Don't ya love 5am conspiracy theories?) :P  Hope ya get it squared! I'd start by seeing if your parking lot has video surveillance.. See if you can follow that somehow?

I think that's what happened too. 

Technically the OP should have renewed the registration but it pretty low down to take the tags on 8/1 when they expired on 7/31.  I supposed the cops were also hoping the OP would not notice, drive the car, get pulled over, get additional ticket(s), get towed, and pay impound/court fees. 

Enh I wouldn't call it foul play, the DMV is known to screw up. When i had my last car I went to renew my tags and they had no record of me ever owning the car even though I had multiple tickets and had been to emissions. For about a month my car was a ghost, it happens.

A Ghost Car?

75509_489567157798238_828919286_n.jpg

Gotta pay your registration on time.  We all get notified ;)

I'm not sure that's true anymore either.  My plates expired 7/31 and I didn't even realize it until the 26th or so.  I never look at those stupid little squares.  We never got anything in the mail/e-mail/phone from the DMV.  We got the car in for emissions as soon as we could and then renewed online, but we still haven't received the tags in the mail, so technically, I'm driving on expired plates.

I've got a ticket for this before (told you, never even think to check the squares) but no one has ever removed the plates from my car.  Hopefully, any officer than runs across it (they got me in the commuter parking lot last time) will run them and see that I actually paid for the things, and cut me some slack.

Progress, it appears that DMV has never seen a case where a vehicle that's only had one tag ever go to "zero" in the system. Appears the matter is being referred to Headquarters, Baam, someone will get the hammer and hopefully the A Clown that paid for it to happen paid a lot.

HTTR!

Sorry you lost your plates and hope you get it resolved. 

If you can prove you were paid up with the registration then you should be able to walk into the DMV and get this resolved immediately.

I just got my wife a new redskins plate and I did it online in the VA DMV site.  It was available so I grabbed it.  I'm not going to say what it was other than it wasn't yours :) It was a good one too which I'm surprised it was available.  Either the previous owner moved, died or forgot to renew.

Regarding that there is no record that you ever had the plate since 2007, check all your receipts when you took your truck in for service.  They print your plate on every one of them.  That might be worth something to print and take to the DMV.

Archived