Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teams that will fall back down to earth this season

Every season we see teams come out of nowhere and make the playoffs after multiple .500 or less seasons. The offseason is the time where fans on many team forums in the NFL claim their team is finally going to turn the corner this year and compete in the playoffs with a real shot at a championship. So in what is usually the most optimistic part of the football year, what teams do you see falling back down to earth? What teams that may have had a decent season last year do you see having a sub par record this year?

The team I will volunteer is the Indianapolis Colts. They had one of the easiest schedules in recent memory and had the 28th easiest schedule by opponents record. Only 3 of their wins came against teams with better than .500 records. This was with Andrew Luck recording the 2nd highest number of turnovers in the league behind Mark Sanchez. He only completed 54% of his passes with the 7th worst QB rating in the league. Now that they made the playoffs, their schedule will be much tougher. Turnover numbers like that and a low completion percentage and no running game isn't going to cut it against a much tougher schedule and improving division. I don't believe they will make the playoffs this year, I see 8-8 at the max.

I'll go a different route and say the Patriots.  Lots of crap going on.  Lost a lot of players.  Average to below average draft.  For them, it will be going from 12-4 to 9-7.  I say they finish 9-7.  The dynasty is going downhill.

I actually disagree with this one. The Patriots finished 11-5 with Matt Cassel who is extremely mediocre. They have finished 12-4, 13-3, 10-6, etc. with much worse weapons than they are equipped with now. Tom Brady has had monster seasons with Troy Brown as his #1 and David Patten as one of his main weapons. I have faith in McDaniels and Belichick to figure out how to use what they have and score 30 points a game doing it. IF Amendola can stay healthy, he will be an absolutely monster for them this year. He torched us in the Rams game. Gronkowski will be there for them relatively early in the season, so don't count them out. My prediction is 12-4.

I actually disagree with this one. The Patriots finished 11-5 with Matt Cassel who is extremely mediocre. They have finished 12-4, 13-3, 10-6, etc. with much worse weapons than they are equipped with now. Tom Brady has had monster seasons with Troy Brown as his #1 and David Patten as one of his main weapons. I have faith in McDaniels and Belichick to figure out how to use what they have and score 30 points a game doing it. IF Amendola can stay healthy, he will be an absolutely monster for them this year. He torched us in the Rams game. Gronkowski will be there for them relatively early in the season, so don't count them out. My prediction is 12-4.

The strength of those teams with worse weapons was the D, which was very stout; not so much now. The 11-5 Cassel season was 5 games worse than the prior year, a year where they had a stout D. Brady only had one 4,000 yard seasons prior to 2007, underscoring how important their consistently overachieving D was to their success during the 1st half of this past decade. You might prove to be correct but I wouldn't be surprised if pj ends up being correct. Course, 9-7 might be good enough to win that division........

I believe the Hawks,Colts, and Ravens by a game no more than two. The Hawks had a pretty easy walk outside of their division. They stayed really healthy. Between PED suspensions and actual injuries odds are they take a step back. I don't honestly expect anyone in the NFCS to challenge the Falcons. Saints will offensively look better but at the same time are switching to the 3-4.

The teams that are most likely to miss the playoff are the Colts and Vikings.  Luck is good, but the AFC is more challenging now, with the Dolphins and Chiefs improving this off-season.  Giving that their opponents outscored them last season, the Colts just don't have the all around roster to compete against the top dogs in that conference.  As far as the Vikings is concerned, if Peterson hits his goal of 2.5k yard, then Ponder really isn't the answer.  The Colts and Vikings aren't "coming back down the Earth" in that they will have a decent season, but just not good enough to make the post season.

The team that will dissapoint their record is the Seahawks.  They'll make the playoff, but most likely with a 10-6 or 11-5 record -- not the 16-0 or 15-1 record that most members on their board are predicting lol.  So much trash talking they did this off-season, but they are still a year behind the 49ers.  The 49ers will still win 12+ games, too much talent and experience on that team.

The Ravens will make the playoff with another 10-6 record, but will not repeat as champs.

I'll go a different route and say the Patriots.  Lots of crap going on.  Lost a lot of players.  Average to below average draft.  For them, it will be going from 12-4 to 9-7.  I say they finish 9-7.  The dynasty is going downhill.

I agree that they are probably going to take a step back. But they are not going to get caught by the Bills, Jets or Dolphins. As much as some people are trying to hype up the Phins, they are not going to overtake the Pats this year.

The Pats also have Brady. And he's able to cover a lot of ills.

I think they take a small step back, but still make the playoffs.

If our defense doesn't show some sizable improvement, and if we can't stay healthy, it might be ours.

Apart from that, the Ravens seem like the obvious choice.

I was wondering when somebody would say ours. In an unbiased discussion, with the 18M cap penalty, no first round pick, Robert's recovery, and rookies starting in the secondary, you'd have to say that we are a possibility. Also, the Giants and Cowboys aren't great, but they are close to 10 win teams.

I happen to think that none of that will matter, and they will win the NFC East. But you have to say the deck is a little stacked against them.

Colts and Ravens are pretty obvious.  I see Atlanta taking a small step back, maybe as a wildcard.  49ers and seahawks were unusually healthy last year, don't know if that trend sticks but I imagine they'll still win games even with more injuries.

The thing with the Colts is that they have the Titans, Texans and Jags. The TItans mght be a little better, the Jags probably won't be that much better. The Texans are clearly the class of the division, so the Colts are fighting for a wild card spot. That might be tough.

The Ravens lost a number of players, and they have the Bengals and Steelers in their division. I think they're definitely going to struggle.

As far as the Falcons, I think they're going to be the same. The question is, wiith the Saints getting back their coach, and Tampa and Carolina probably going to get better, what does that mean for them? I'm guessing, they win a few less games. (They also have the 'Skins on the schedule. :) )

Colts and Ravens.

I think the 9ers and Hawks are good.

9ers are good, but I think they won't be as good. They've lost a guy or two, and I'm not sold on Collin as a starter. Something about him (and Wilson) seemed a little less polished to me. Dunno, I could be completely wrong on that.

My vote is for the Colts as well. They look like an 8-8 team this year. 

I'd be surprised to see the Vikings win 10 this year too.

Vikings have at least 1 better WR. They will be able to run the ball. But the difference is going to be with the QB and defense.

I also don't see them winning 10 games this year. (And they play the 'Skins. :) )

The teams that are most likely to miss the playoff are the Colts and Vikings.  Luck is good, but the AFC is more challenging now, with the Dolphins and Chiefs improving this off-season.  Giving that their opponents outscored them last season, the Colts just don't have the all around roster to compete against the top dogs in that conference.  As far as the Vikings is concerned, if Peterson hits his goal of 2.5k yard, then Ponder really isn't the answer.  The Colts and Vikings aren't "coming back down the Earth" in that they will have a decent season, but just not good enough to make the post season.

The team that will dissapoint their record is the Seahawks.  They'll make the playoff, but most likely with a 10-6 or 11-5 record -- not the 16-0 or 15-1 record that most members on their board are predicting lol.  So much trash talking they did this off-season, but they are still a year behind the 49ers.  The 49ers will still win 12+ games, too much talent and experience on that team.

The Ravens will make the playoff with another 10-6 record, but will not repeat as champs.

I don't think the Ravens do as well.  They lost a ton of players AND their division is tough.  I can easily see the Bengals or Steelers above them, if not both.  They are fighting for a wildcard spot, but it's possible the AFC North puts in 3 teams to the playoffs because every other AFC division really only has 1 serious playoff contender.

Man, am I really the only one that's gonna say the 'Skins? You guys are homers.  :P

I actually feel great about our prospects.  Not so much on our strength, we didn't suddenly become an elite team, but on our division's weakness.  I don't think it's a particularly weak division, but you wouldn't expect a 12+ win season from any team in it.  That said, I expect our offense to not be as great (it was historically good in turnovers and yards per play), but I expect our defense to be improved.

I'm gonna pick the Seahawks, 49ers, and (sorry) the Redskins. All three because they're teams lead by an athletic QB entering his second season as a starter. I never trust an athletic QB's first season as a starter to be a barometer for the following season. Teams adjust will adjust and then we'll see how they perform from there. In RG3's case its worse because of the nasty knee injury he sustained that he's attempting to recover from.

I also expect the Vikings to take a step back, because I don't see AP keeping up the unreal production he put up last season which will in turn expose Ponder for the poor QB he is.

I'll go a different route and say the Patriots. Lots of crap going on. Lost a lot of players. Average to below average draft. For them, it will be going from 12-4 to 9-7. I say they finish 9-7. The dynasty is going downhill.

I think the Matt Cassell example needs to be put away. Most of their team is a lot different now. Amendola has never stayed healthy, who exactly do they have at WR and Gronk will not be 100% for a while and with the other half if their duel TE package in prison, it could be a fall back year. Plus, their defense isn't great. Yes the Pats will still win their division, but all I'm saying is their days of dominating are over and they could fall back to 9 or 10 wins, which is a bad season for them.

Archived