Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we be intrigued by the 49ers-Seahawks rivalry?

shangster

Seriously, after all the hoopla back-and-forth war of word between the two teams, they better deliver when they play against each other in prime time and give the NFL fans their time's worth.

I know that Harbaugh can come off as one of those d0uchey coach who can definitely get on the skins of opposing players.  But he's one of those coach who can demand accountabitlity and performance from his players.  I don't know if the Seahawks' players are just young and got caught up in the moment but some of their comments, specially from Brown, Tate and now Sherman, about Jim Harbaugh are just classless.  

Yes, on paper, the Seahawks look beastly.  But I just don't buy that they are just as good (if not better according to some media) than the 49ers.  Even if you match them up, posisitons by positions, I still think the 49ers is the more talented and better overall team than the Seahawks.

Yes, if for no other reason than them beating the hell out of each other. If the Redskins are to be a perennial playoff/SB contending team in the near future, these 2 teams will be routinely standing in their way. Division titles, playoff spots, and playoff seedings will be on the line every time these two teams face each other. So yes, we should be intrigued.

As far as being entertained is concerned, both of these teams have a certain throwback element in their style of play, which I am partial to. I love a good old fashioned smashmouth bloodbath, with bad intentions on all sides. If the Seahawks are for real (the Niners have already proven they are), then that will most likely be one of the premier rivalries of this decade.

And because I hate the Seahawks, I will definitely have a rooting interest in this rivalry

Man, Seahawks fans are just full of it. Yes, on paper they should at least be a top 5 team. But their fans act like they are the clear cut favorite to win it all that its laughable. (I really do hope that our fans do not act like that until we are playoff tested). Even with their new playmakers on offense and defense, I would say that the 'hawks are a year behind the 49ers. Both on paper and on field performance, the 49ers are tested and better (maybe not by much).

Somehow the hawks this upcoming season reminds me so much of the hype the Dallas Cowboys had in 2010 - anyone remembers that preseason? It was all about the Dallas cowboys on ESPN. We all know how that season ended.

I think the 9ers are a legit team, who are going to be meeting us in the Championship game a lot the next decade, but not the Seahawks.

Although I think that's because I for one have no faith in them as winners, kind of like when the Cardnals are winning and because of shear blind rage hatred for them as an organization.

I do think Seattle is a tad over-rated.  Harvin should add a bit of excitement there, but outside of him their pass catchers aren't particularly good.  I feel like Marshawn will revert to his mean production, though that o-line is talented.  Their secondary is awesome and  Wagner is a stud, but who else in that front 7 is really all that talented?  If it wasn't for their 3 blowouts near the end of the season this would be just another team.  Were those blowouts a sign of things to come or just a lucky streak against 2 pitiful teams and then san fran coming off a taxing win over the patriots?

Both teams have a good defense. Pass rush favors 49ers, Secondary favors Seattle.

To me though the 49ers are more likely to have staying power because I think Kap is legit and Russell Wilson is middle of the pack and will hold the team back in the long run. 

Wilson can only play like he did in 2012 (besides the final month) for so long before the rest of the team thinks he isn't playing up to the rest of the teams potential/capabilities and then questions will arise about whether he is a game manager or actually has the tools to put a team on his shoulders.

Should be a fun matchup to watch in 2013, as well as the Rams playing either team too.

Don't count out the Rams in that division. They may not be as good as the other two, but they can play some dirty ball when they need to

I agree with this.  I think the Rams are a sleeper this year that could end up making some noise.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if either the 49ers or the Seahawks take a step back or have an off year, while the Rams improve and contend for the division.  The 49ers couldn't beat the Rams last year.  The Cardinals couldn't beat them.  The Seahawks split with them. 

I expect some real angst for those of us knee-deep in hawkhate. I see them a true burgeoning powerhouse. To me and most objective and informed folks I read/hear/discuss with, they are strong, top to bottom, and simply excellent in several key areas. And they're mainly young. Of course, I'd love to be totally wrong and see them have an unexpectedly disastrous season that drives many of their fans into madness. Also, seeing Carroll arrested for some morals charge would be fun. :P

But I digress. :D

I expect some real angst for those of us knee-deep in hawkhate. I see them a true burgeoning powerhouse. To me and most objective and informed folks I read/hear/discuss with, they are strong, top to bottom, and simply excellent in several key areas. And they're mainly young. Of course, I'd love to be totally wrong and see them have an unexpectedly disastrous season that drives many of their fans into madness. Also, seeing Carroll arrested for some morals charge would be fun. :P

But I digress. :D

Yes, perhaps my hate for the Seahawks is skewing my perspective of them as being over-rated.  I do think that people are over-rated them though.  I really like Russel Wilson.  I'm an NC State fan.  I think Russel Wilson has good character. I am surprised that Russel Wilson performed at the level he did this fast.  That said, I still think Russel Wilson benefited from a very good defense and running game.  He seems like a talented game manager with a solid roster. I really don't know what our team would've been like last season if Russel Wilson started for us.  It's not like Russel Wilson carried a flawed team on his shoulders to winning season.  If we had a top defense last year, we probably would've been in the NFC Championship or SB.  Then you have to factor in Seattle's home field advantage.  I think the only way Seattle goes all the way to the SB is if they get home field advantage in the playoffs.  Then you have all the Seattle players taking PEDs.  Will they be the same team without PEDs lol?

Sinister hit it on the head. I want the Seahawks/49ers games to be down and dirty brawls, that wear each other team out. Because the more they wear each other out, the easier it will be to beat them when the playoffs start.

I agree!  Plus, the Seahawks paid a lot to get Percy Harvin and I was just wondering why?  I don't think he's played a full season yet, and those migraines of his would have me questioning his full participation. 

Sinister hit it on the head. I want the Seahawks/49ers games to be down and dirty brawls, that wear each other team out. Because the more they wear each other out, the easier it will be to beat them when the playoffs start.

I agree!  Plus, the Seahawks paid a lot to get Percy Harvin and I was just wondering why?  I don't think he's played a full season yet, and those migraines of his would have me questioning his full participation. 

He has, he played 16 in 2011. However, his average per catch (and rush) have decreased every year he's been in the league, and he scored a career low in TDs last year. The one thing that has increased is his kick return average, but they already had a kick returner in Leon Washington, and he had the most fumbles (and fumbles lost) last year. Essentially, by all accounts, he's gotten worse every year.

There really is an air of "Dream Team" to them. With a coach like Carroll who doesn't really know how to handle adversity, this season has the potential to blow up in their faces. The way their schedule plays out, all the strong teams they play, they play on the road: Atlanta, New Orleans, Giants, Indianapolis, Houston, and the division games are all away.

Anyone else agree with me that the Seahawks will somewhat "dissapoint" their expectation? Not to the degree of '10 Cowboys or '11 Eagles, as I believe they'll make the playoff.  But their record won't be as impressive as what we'd expect.

Anyone else agree with me that the Seahawks will somewhat "dissapoint" their expectation? Not to the degree of '10 Cowboys or '11 Eagles, as I believe they'll make the playoff.  But their record won't be as impressive as what we'd expect.

Any team with the "Super Bowl guaranteed" mindset is going to be disappointed in their season. Sure, you get the cliched "every team has a chance" and "everybody thinks they can win the Lombardi at the start of the season" arguments, but the Seahawks and their fans take it past that point to outright hubris.

They are a talented lot on paper to be sure. But for a team that has had more losing seasons than us since 2007 and an overall record since that is only two games better than us over that same time period, playing in a harder division, they sure think a lot of themselves.

Being in the Tahoe area I love this rivalry. Both teams are young and both coaches are d-bags that will keep the fire going. As others have said let these two teams beat the crap out of each other because we will most likely have to face at least one if not both of them for many January's to come. Obviously I'll be pulling for ties or for the 49ners to win, I hope for nothing but misfortune for the sea chickens.

I guess Pete and John decided Percy was better than anything they could have gotten at #25  ;)

After all, he was a pro-bowler as a rookie and led the Vikes in receiving his other three season in Minnie - even in 2012 when he only played nine games (AND, he was also THIRD in YaC despite missing seven games that year).

As for the migraines, from what I understand, he's had them under control for a couple of years now.

That said, it will be interesting to see how Harvin fits in with RW specifically and the Hawks receiving core generally.

Sometimes adding a piece such as that can help make everyone better - other times, it just doesn't "click" . . .

here's hoping for the former  :)

~ ~ ~ ~ 

BTW ~ kudos to those who created the "new look" for your board - very nice!

I could see both teams jumping out to quick starts. But something about the Rams makes me believe that they will hang around and be in the mix by the time December rolls around. It would be awesome if one of these teams falls behind St. Louis and misses the post-season since everyone assumes they will be the #1 and #5 seeds. 

While I agree with the hate for Seahawks fans, I kind of like the way the Seahawks have gone about building their team.  A little too much of it has been through FA, but other than that, their FO has done a quality job.  I'm looking forward to this matchup.  It's nice to see two defensive-minded, running teams going at it.

Archived