Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dexter Final Season Discussion

SpacePenguin

Dexter doesn't want his son to be raised by a self-destructive psychopath serial killer so he sends him to a foreign country with a self-destructive psychopath serial killer.

What a stupid way to end such a great series. I wouldn't even mind Dexter getting away with it but losing everything in his life if it wasn't executed so poorly. Even if they had left him dead by riding into the storm, I would have liked that ending. I thought that last scene was very powerful. But now he's a ****ing lumberjack in Saskatchewan, yippie. 

This show was good for 4 seasons or so but then slowly turned into the stupidest show I can ever remember watching with the worst last season and finale of any show I can remember.

No clue why I stayed until the end but I always thought it was a given he'd eventually be exposed.

Terrible.

Nice to see they finally killed off deborah, about 6 1/2 seasons too late for my liking.  I really didn't think she was a good actor, just sort of playing herself, and her character got annoying quickly.  I also think you could have had much more interesting story lines had she been killed off earlier-like how would Dexter react with no support group-even if those people didn't realize they where part of a support group.

I loved the first season of Dexter, no season since has been able to create cliffhangers like that first season did, mainly because the writers had 2 dexter books to take material from. 

Season 2 was Ok, but I had to stop watching Season 3 with Jimmy Smits, that was freakin' horrible.  I liked Dexter because the show created drama in non-TV cliche type of ways, but season 3 looked like it was written by a bunch of writer's who couldn't hack it on a CSI episode, I had to stop watching. Then Lithgow joins the cast for season 4 and kills of Rita and I started to get interested again-only after people had told me how good the season finale was, but never really caught up to the new plot lines ( the whole thing with Dexter's blonde girlfriend is a mystery to me, and what happened to Rita's kids?)

Now that it is finally over, any hardcore fans have a favorite of least favorite season?  Curious to see if anyone shares my opinion of Season 3 being the weakest/least favourite.

Now that it is finally over, any hardcore fans have a favorite of least favorite season?  Curious to see if anyone shares my opinion of Season 3 being the weakest/least favourite.

My very first episode was season 4 where trinity took that woman to the top of that abandoned building and tells her to jump. The was the very first scene that I saw, and I was just like "holy ****, this show is serious" I stopped right there didnt even bother finishing the episode, and immediately started from season 1. I fell in love with the show and it was sad to see it end, i felt so emotionally attached to it.

Season 4 was definitely my favorite season. The acting, the story, everything about that season was amazing. I dont even have to mention the finale. Mind blown.

Season 2 was also up there with season 4, dokes and dexter's battle the entire season was entertaining. Season 1 would be next on the list.

My least favorite season has to be the dooms day killer BS in season 6. Like seriously? that couldnt have been a dumber villian. and then the professor is actually a ghost? 

All in all, i think it was a successful run. After season 4 the original writers left, and you could definitely tell because Dexter was definitely not up to par with the first 4 seasons. But, i loved the show.... that could be because im a hardcore fan tho lol

This entire season blowed but you've got to be kidding me with the ending... that was so stupid. I wasn't imagining anything great but this ending was beyond trash.

You would think writers would learn from the Sopranos/Lost and not go that route... but the Dexter brain trust did one better. A lumberjack  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .

Would have much preferred he died or got a happy ending. 

Seasons 4 and 1 were some of the best TV. This season was some of the worst television (later seasons of Weeds takes the cake though). So scattered and unfocused. For a final season there were much better stories to tell.

Anyways I'd rank the season as follows

Season 4
Season 1
Season 2
Season 7
Season 3
Season 5
Season 6
Season 8

They seemed to be conflicted throughout the series whether he could change and be normal or not. From what they aired, it seemed to me that he had indeed evolved and could be normal, but they wanted to suddenly cut it back and say "nope, can't do it". Seems to me the only thing that stood between him and normality was a ridiculous amount of terrible luck, rather than what he is, which in my opinion is poor writing. They tried their hardest to put a twist on everything ("oh, the bullet didn't hit anything important, she'll be fine... oh look at that, she died. Gotcha!"). Really unsatisfying ending. If they wanted him to come to the conclusion he could never be normal and that by doing so he'd just get everyone he cares about hurt, they should have had balls to have Saxon murder Harrison. Now THAT would bring us a place to transition him to acceptance of what he is and to start over with a new identity.

Other options that could've made for a more satisfying end:

Happy ending- Dexter and Hannah make it to Argentina and live happily ever after. Deb actually arrests Saxon instead of atrocious bad luck resulting in a deadly blood-clot.

Caught- He gets caught, arrested, tried, and convicted and given the death penalty.

Murdered- He winds up on another serial killer's table. Perhaps a Bay Harbor Butcher copy-cat after Dexter's caught and beats the system through a technicality.

I actually just felt kinda sad and let down after watching the last episode.

It was just a really stupid, wasteful ending to one of my favorite all time series.

I went back and watched the original episode and it was amazing how  much better that was than this current stuff.

Not much else to add.  The finale sucked.  And the lumberjack epilogue was a terrible idea.  Suicide by boat would have been a better end.

Everyone would have been much better off just stopping at the end of S4, easily the best season of this show.  Though 2 and 1 were pretty great too.

Liked the showrunner's pitch.  Better than sad lumberjack, anyway

It felt so rushed and sloppy.  Anyway Dexter had a good run but writers these days need to go back and watch the final MASH episode and learn how to close out a show.

Btw, here is a Q&A interview with Dexter showrunner Scott Buck on the final episode. He explains their decisions and direction, etc.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dexter-series-finale-showrunner-scott-632536

UGH!

I watched it last night and pez laughed at me!  Dexter, Hannah, and Harrison should have made it to Argentina, Deb and Quinn should have gotten engaged in the hospital after she arrested Saxxon!  No crappy ending!  It should be Happily Ever After!  Roses and Joy etc! 

UGH!

I watched it last night and pez laughed at me!  Dexter, Hannah, and Harrison should have made it to Argentina, Deb and Quinn should have gotten engaged in the hospital after she arrested Saxxon!  No crappy ending!  It should be Happily Ever After!  Roses and Joy etc! 

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I agree with what you said haha.  The show has dark elements to it, but I think it should have had a happy ending for all the characters involved.  I am glad they didn't kill off Dexter.  I didn't want to see them kill of Dexter because I thought that would have been too predictable and a weak way of adding drama. 

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I agree with what you said haha.  The show has dark elements to it, but I think it should have had a happy ending for all the characters involved.  I am glad they didn't kill off Dexter.  I didn't want to see them kill of Dexter because I thought that would have been too predictable and a weak way of adding drama. 

Not saracastic LOL  Pez was laughing at me as I am the type of person that reads the last few pages of a book to determine if I want to read the book.  Must have happy ending LOL

This was probably the all-time worst last season and finale episode I can ever remember for a show that I ever enjoyed at all, much less to the extent that I enjoyed Dexter in the first 4 or 5 seasons.

It became clear to me a few episodes into this season that the showrunner clearly had NO IDEA of what to do with this story.  Maybe it's unfair to compare any show to the final season of Breaking Bad, as they are having the best final season of any show in history to this point, but compare the two to see how badly this got screwed up.

What is the overreaching lesson/story of Dexter at this point?  We literally spent the entire season being told that Dexter is learning how to control his desire to murder through his relationship with Hannah, then because he made that decision, a freak accident happens and Deb is shot and (eventually) killed.  Dexter decides that he hurts everyone he loves, then fakes his own death.  But it was the KILLING that threatened his loved ones- Rita, Harrison, Deb, etc were all put in positions of danger because he was a serial killer.  If he stopped killing (like he did all season), Harrison and Hannah were at no risk.

There were ultimately zero consequences for Dexter.  Deb was killed BECAUSE he didn't kill.  As someone mentioned earlier, we could've had Saxon as the template for Dexter with no code.  We could have seen the fallout from public knowledge of Dexter as a serial killer from all the people that knew him (Batista, Masuka, Quinn, etc).  We could've had a tragic ending for Dexter himself, rather than the 2 freaking seconds they spent with Batista thinking that Dexter was dead in the boat.  (And even then, there was absolutely NO explanation given or questioning as to why Dexter might've killed himself.)

Other problems:

1) Masuka daughter storyline had absolutely no payoff whatsoever (other than to see Becky from Friday Night Lights topless)

2) Zack storyline had no payoff whatsoever

3) So Dexter isn't supposed to canvass the scene at Vogel's murder because he could taint the investigation, yet Batista and Quinn have no problems with him coming in after he's already had his last day at work to do DNA testing (of a guy that had already submitted his DNA) of a person that JUST SHOT DEXTER'S SISTER.

4) Then they watch Dexter calmly murder that guy ON CAMERA and have no reaction other than, "oh well, self defense lol"

5) Dexter must be a Michael Phelps-level swimmer to be able to guide his boat directly at a hurricane to the extent that his boat is destroyed in that hurricane with no visible means of escape and then swim through hurricane-level tides to safety somewhere.  This is the all-time WTF of TV show endings.

3) So Dexter isn't supposed to canvass the scene at Vogel's murder because he could taint the investigation, yet Batista and Quinn have no problems with him coming in after he's already had his last day at work to do DNA testing (of a guy that had already submitted his DNA) of a person that JUST SHOT DEXTER'S SISTER.

Mostly agree with you, but just want to point out it was a "GSR" (Gun Shot Residue) test, not DNA.

Archived