Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Intentionally Hurting Read Option QBs

WakkaWakka

"The opposing team's quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard." - Al Davis

As true a statement as has ever been spoken about the game of football

Attrition is a part of football. if the most important player on the offense is going to run outside of his protection, it is inherent on every defender to hit him as hard and as clean as they can with the hope of putting him either out of the game or on notice about doing that sort of thing again.

In my mind CLEANLY is the key part of that.. I don't think either hit that injured Robert last year was dirty, and Ngata's was exactly by the axiom above. He hit Robert hard and he hit him clean, and the damage was done.

~Bang

Our fans aren't happy unless they have something to freak them out.

As I've said before, RGIII is very well-liked around the league and the NFL itself is like a brotherhood.

They don't go around trying to end someone's career. Their is difference between laying the wood and trying to end someone. RGIII is gonna get blasted but I doubt it's with the intention to kill the dude.

Chill out man.

And how is the league crooked? RGIII is clearly one of its biggest stars. He's moves a ridiculous amount of merch and is featured all over commercials, TV, and their website. Not to mention, he got numerous BS Brady calls last season.

It's definitely a concern.  If you were a D-coordinator would you trade a 15 yard penalty for getting RGIII out of the game?

Exactly.  It's all well and good if the league treats RG3 like a star, gives him the Brady treatment, etc., but by the time it's a penalty, fine, etc. it's too late for what we're worried about, if a serious injury is involved. 

Our fans aren't happy unless they have something to freak them out.

As I've said before, RGIII is very well-liked around the league and the NFL itself is like a brotherhood.

They don't go around trying to end someone's career. Their is difference between laying the wood and trying to end someone. RGIII is gonna get blasted but I doubt it's with the intention to kill the dude.

Chill out man.

And how is the league crooked? RGIII is clearly one of its biggest stars. He's moves a ridiculous amount of merch and is featured all over commercials, TV, and their website. Not to mention, he got numerous BS Brady calls last season.

But all these noble attitudes can tend to disappear in the heat of battle.  Especially if the opposing QB is frustrating your team.

It's definitely a concern.  If you were a D-coordinator would you trade a 15 yard penalty for getting RGIII out of the game?

Exactly.  It's all well and good if the league treats RG3 like a star, gives him the Brady treatment, etc., but by the time it's a penalty, fine, etc. it's too late for what we're worried about, if a serious injury is involved. 

>Our fans aren't happy unless they have something to freak them out.

Chill out man.

But all these noble attitudes can tend to disappear in the heat of battle.  Especially if the opposing QB is frustrating your team.

How come they didn't do it last year for RGIII, Wilson, or Kap then?

Hell, why limit it to RO Qbs? How come LBs don't try to re-tear Brady's repaired knee right?

I'm telling you it doesn't happen. They're human beings at the end of the day. 

I also agree not many players will intentionally try to seriously injure. But put a QB out for a few weeks?

Sure.

~Bang

With a clean hit. Sure.

Not some blood thirsty savage on-field piledriver like everyone is suggesting.

15 yard penalties and post-game fines aren't enough -- bigger fines, and immediate suspensions -- and perhaps even a little punative spillover to the Defensive coordinator and/or Head Coach who allows that kind of thug-behavior -- would help to cut this kind of behavior down.

Interesting idea; kind of like holding parents responsible for their kids' behavior in school.

Hell, why limit it to RO Qbs? How come LBs don't try to re-tear Brady's repaired knee right?

the end of the day is not the moment, though. It's a physical game, and often times the most devastating of hits happen in the blink of an eye.

They definitely have the blood running hot out there.

~Bang

I think all this "we're just going to hit the qb stuff until they stop" stuff is simply proof they don't know how to stop the offense. Or at least they don't want to overhaul their base defense in an effort to stop it -- especially because they know few teams run it, and even the ones that do don't run it every play.

RG3's hands will be up after every handoff -- you can bet on it. Still, he may take some legal hits once in a while. But if you simply focus on hitting the QB, the RB is going to run for 15 yards a carry in this offense. It will be something the team will have to weigh/evaluate all year. 

But this idea that teams are just going to take flags to stop the QB is nonsense. Why not just hit Manning or Brady late then?

I don't like this going after the QB stuff. Defensive guys need to learn that if you hunt you will be hunted.

And you don't won't to end your career like that......

If they go after RG, chop block away. Cut 'em down.

I agree.

And people don't know how nasty a boy Kory Lichtensteiger is, but he is an absolutely filfthy blocker if he needs to be.  Right there next to Trent, to?

And LeRebieus is going to be just as bad a boy as KLich if not worse. 

BMitch was talking about this the other day in terms of the Braves plunking Harper and the Nats not doing anything about it.

He said something to the effect of "When Rypein got hit late... the hogs were coming right back at the linemen and they played catch with him.  It only takes one time."

I hope you're right.  But I know football's a very emotional, adrenalin-based game, and frustration alone can motivate players to feel like doing whatever they have to do in the heat of battle.  Actually I guess i'm drifting off topic since we're talking about doing harm in a premeditated, planned way.

Is anybody else worried that trashy D coordinators are hell bent on delivering illegal hits on the read option? Possibly instructing their payers to hit the QB way late, even if he opted to hand it off. I don't think RG3 is going to get the Brady treatment; it's a crooked league.

I don't think so, not in terms of "dirty" stuff. The reason is simple....if you're talking about DIRTY hits, there's plenty of chances to get DIRTY hits on a normal QB too.

Do you want to risk your teams QB to take out the other teams QB. Because if someone lays a dirty hit on RG3 and it results in him coming out of the game, you better believe that a HUGE target has suddenly got painted on the other teams QB and that he may be getting some late hits as well.

It's similar to why there was such a ruckus over the Tampa Bay dive at the end of the game last year. The understanding is that no one wants to get hurt on that last play so that both lines generally go somewhat soft. It's that level of trust and understanding that essentially keeps both safe. I believe you could tell O-Linemen had a different attitude towards the end of the game towards Tampa after that point, and reasonably so.

But this idea that teams are just going to take flags to stop the QB is nonsense. Why not just hit Manning or Brady late then?

Agree.

Hit the QB is a part of the gameplan for everyone.  You want to beat Brady?  Don't just let him stand there and pick you apart.  You gotta pressure him, hit him, make him feel uncomfortable.

Read option QBs are going to get the same treatment everyone else gets.  When you get an opportunity, hit them hard.  This is football, after all.  But I don't expect to see a bunch of crazy cheap shots or "intentionally hurting."  Not in the least. 

And also agree with those who have said RG3 has and will continue to receive the Brady treatment.  He's a star. 

15 yard penalties and post-game fines aren't enough -- bigger fines, and immediate suspensions -- and perhaps even a little punative spillover to the Defensive coordinator and/or Head Coach who allows that kind of thug-behavior -- would help to cut this kind of behavior down.

Interesting idea; kind of like holding parents responsible for their kids' behavior in school.

I get the analogy, but it's just a little off. Parents don't tell their kids to misbehave in school. DCs have told their players to take out a player.

Try to hurt seriously or career end? I don't think so. It's football, hard hits, get a guy down. Like boxing protect yourself at all times and dish it out. So Robert...slide sooner, throw ball away, get out of bounds sooner. that's it. I love his competitive nature but you have to understand when. Don't be a hero when it's not worth it and then you aren't available,  being a tough guy. He's a quarterback.

For people who said they haven't already done that, did you even check Bernard Pollard on Thursday night? You know, the same one who INTENTIONALLY (I call BS on anyone who think it wasnt on purpose) put his helmet on Brady's knee and ended his season?  

Did any of you watch the Rams or Bengals games or the Seahawks playoff game?  Teams are headhunting (I slowed down the Falcons hit by Weatherspoon, it was also a headshot, Weatherspoon gathers AFTER the slide has begun) for Griffin, whether that's unspoken or not isn't the point.

As always, if someone goes for your guys, you better be prepared to put some guys in the morgue the Chicago Way.

For people who said they haven't already done that, did you even check Bernard Pollard on Thursday night? You know, the same one who INTENTIONALLY (I call BS on anyone who think it wasnt on purpose) put his helmet on Brady's knee and ended his season?  

Did any of you watch the Rams or Bengals games or the Seahawks playoff game?  Teams are headhunting (I slowed down the Falcons hit by Weatherspoon, it was also a headshot, Weatherspoon gathers AFTER the slide has begun) for Griffin, whether that's unspoken or not isn't the point.

As always, if someone goes for your guys, you better be prepared to put some guys in the morgue the Chicago Way.

The way the nfl is stressing player safety If someone intentionally hit RG3 dirty to take out his knee and he was hurt on the play it would be all over the news and they would probably suspend that player for a year to show the world the league cares about player safety. 

Did you see what they did to the saints without any evidence? now imagine if RG3 tore his acl because of a dirty hit that player would get the A.Rod treatment. 

It wont happen you're paranoid bro this isn't just a football player this is RG3 the NFL's future cash cow! Brady manning brees are all getting older the NFL needs to protect their future cash cows and they will do that just wait and see. 

I don't think the urge to hurt a mobile QB is necessarily controlled by the coach. I find it hard to believe that the thought has never crossed the mind of any player lining up on the defensive side of the ball—whether the QB is mobile or a pure pocket passer. 

They'll try to hurt him if he hands off, if he keeps, or if he drops back to pass. As an NFC east defender, "you" wouldn't take a 15 yarder to take RG3 out for the season?

This discussion frustrates me a bit.  I think when people hear the word 'option', they're thinking of the college-style plays where a QB starts out with the ball and laterals if/when he sees an opening.  That's really the type of option QBs tend to get blown up on every play.  Read option defaults to giving the RB the ball and only pulling it out of his belly if the majority of the defense crashes down on the back, which gives the QB a wide open lane.  Pretty much, the kind of option the Redskins run operates under the same theory and execution as any play action pass you see in the NFL.  It just involves the QB running into open space instead of passing.  RG3's not going to be in the open field when he makes this decision - he's in the backfield behind his line.  And the handoff, if it happens, is almost immediate, so the chance of a free runner just teeing off on him without it looking blatant is almost slim to none.

It's also worth mentioning, though, that the plays that Robert got hurt on last year were designed pass plays where he had to scramble and not on the read option.

If it were so easy to intentionally hurt and knock out QBs then you'd see guys like Brady and Manning done for the year in Week 1 and those guys aren't even mobile.

To be fair, though, you just picked the two QBs where a defender's most likely to get flagged for looking at them the wrong way.  And Manning got pounded in 2010, and the cumulative effect of those hits added up to the neck injury that caused him to miss the entire 2011 season.

Archived