Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Intentionally Hurting Read Option QBs

WakkaWakka

Is anybody else worried that trashy D coordinators are hell bent on delivering illegal hits on the read option? Possibly instructing their payers to hit the QB way late, even if he opted to hand it off. I don't think RG3 is going to get the Brady treatment; it's a crooked league.

I really don't understand why ppl think that everyone is out to kill each other in pro sports.

As well liked as RGIII is, I doubt anyone will try anything reckless intentionally. That's not to say that some players don't have poor football instincts and poor tackling judgment. But thinking like the one in the OP is nothing but fear mongering 

And I love how we neglect the fact that RGIII got quite a few "generous" late hit calls last season. He's a star and we'll get star calls as a result 

This was kind of already talked through, by RG3 himself who said, pretty candidly IMO, that he was going to make an effort to show the refs his hands to make it clear he doesn't have the ball.  This was after the Cincy game I believe.  

Candid or not, it's brilliant.  Coaches and players have been barking at refs forever to get calls, but that's a nice, subtle way to basically guarantee a flag if there's a hit whatsoever during that moment.  And with that extra little thing in mind, players are less likely to dive at him, perhaps.

It wouldn't be wise of a D coordinator anyway;  to instruct their players to go toward QB no matter what.  Not for scheme, and not for penalties and fines.  It would be bounty gate-ish if so, and I don't think we'll be seeing much more of that.  And yes, I agree RG3 might get some 'brady treatment' but I hate calling it 'brady treatment'.  It's RG3 treatment.

Is anybody else worried that trashy D coordinators are hell bent on delivering illegal hits on the read option? Possibly instructing their payers to hit the QB way late, even if he opted to hand it off. I don't think RG3 is going to get the Brady treatment; it's a crooked league.

RG3  will most definitely get the so-called "Brady Treatment".

RG3 is a celebrity in the NFL, as well as outside it. He is constantly talked about and approached by people who really don't follow football.

Most importantly, he is a good guy and a possible role model. The NFL needs guys like him to be the face of the league, and he can't be if he is hurt by cheap shots in the backfield and is sitting on the bench.

RG3 got those "Brady treatment" calls last season. He will get them again.

I suspect that the league will make sure that its marquee stars get some degree of protection. So I'm confident Griffin III will get those roughing calls.  But the toll on his body cannot be overlooked.

The bigger issue is when does the league start really addressing the "James Harrison" kind of behavior.  Those types are the kind of players that worry me -- basically goons with helmets and a license to 'tackle' that they take over the top, during the heat of the game.

15 yard penalties and post-game fines aren't enough -- bigger fines, and immediate suspensions -- and perhaps even a little punative spillover to the Defensive coordinator and/or Head Coach who allows that kind of thug-behavior -- would help to cut this kind of behavior down.

Okay, I may not be in synch with does who enjoy the 'big hits' of the game, but I'll go on record that I'd like to see a little more protection for the players who make the game more exciting than those old-school "3-yards and a cloud of dust" offenses.    I enjoy seeing the highlight reels of these 'marquee' players.  I don't like seeing high quality players having to leave the game due to a cheap shot.

Who fills the seats -- RGIII or James Harrison?   That's the big  question. How that question is answered -- will determine a lot of the future of the NFL.

If he's running, he should be tackled and tackled hard. Football is a contact sport. Even though I adore who he is and what he has done for our franchise, we need to understand the sport we love. We cheered when ST lit up Brian Moorman, there should be no double standard. Learn to slide Robert

I suspect that the league will make sure that its marquee stars get some degree of protection. So I'm confident Griffin III will get those roughing calls.  But the toll on his body cannot be overlooked.

The bigger issue is when does the league start really addressing the "James Harrison" kind of behavior.  Those types are the kind of players that worry me -- basically goons with helmets and a license to 'tackle' that they take over the top, during the heat of the game.

15 yard penalties and post-game fines aren't enough -- bigger fines, and immediate suspensions -- and perhaps even a little punative spillover to the Defensive coordinator and/or Head Coach who allows that kind of thug-behavior -- would help to cut this kind of behavior down.

Okay, I may not be in synch with does who enjoy the 'big hits' of the game, but I'll go on record that I'd like to see a little more protection for the players who make the game more exciting than those old-school "3-yards and a cloud of dust" offenses.    I enjoy seeing the highlight reels of these 'marquee' players.  I don't like seeing high quality players having to leave the game due to a cheap shot.

Who fills the seats -- RGIII or James Harrison?   That's the big  question. How that question is answered -- will determine a lot of the future of the NFL.

How much more protection can you give? The NFL has given more than enough in recent years.

If he's running, he should be tackled and tackled hard. Football is a contact sport. Even though I adore who he is and what he has done for our franchise, we need to understand the sport we love. We cheered when ST lit up Brian Moorman, there should be no double standard. Learn to slide Robert

exactly.

This is another great point

I certainly think some teams/players will try to harm QBs like Griffin *cough*Seahags*cough*, but I do think the NFL will protect them, provided they don't expose themselves.

The biggest problem for Griffin is that he likes to move around so much that he quickly gets into that rule grey area about getting hit.  He'll need to learn to hang in the pocket a bit more.  That, combined with him putting his hands up when he doesn't have the ball, will pretty much protect him from late hits.

If there's one thing the NFL loves, it's money, and if there's a good way to get that, it's bankable stars.  They'll keep Griffin upright so long as he doesn't bring it on himself.

I have to say after the ra.s game ( I think) where everyone was calling rgiii soft because he was talking about late hits you started seeing Him make sure the refs knew he was no longer a target ....

People forget that despite what is said defensive players rarely want to really really hurt someone on offense ... sure they want to win and if a star qb gos out with an injury that makes thing easier for them ... but there is a world between that and deliberatly taking someone out and potentially putting their career at risk.... there are always exceptions but generally the hate is not there...

I think football, and most sports, is played by mostly decent human beings. They are all in the same fraternity and generally seem upset and bothered when their fellow players (even opponents) are injured. I could certainly see defenders making sure their hits against read-option QBs count, but I don't believe those hits will be illegal. 

Again, I assume there are bad eggs, but mostly I don't anticipate "injure Griffin" being the game plan week in and week out. 

In the mid-70s defense started to become illegal.  Pretty much the only thing defense has left is to promise so much pain that the offense plays all alligator arms.

RGIII is now a league star. Last season we saw where he was getting the calls. We've been flexed into 5 prime time games. He'll be getting all the calls he deserves. If you noticed when he came back from the Ravens game. After every read or play action he threw up his hands and back peddled when he got rid of the ball. I definitely believe he's learned his lesson. He has to play under control. Know when to throw the ball away and when to go for the extra yard.

I think he will get the Brady treatment, if he's a not a legal runner. Given his injuries, and his fame, he'll be taken care of I suspect.

It's when he decides to run with it that would make me worry.

RG3 got quite a few Brady calls last year.  There were a few times where we got 15 yard penalties that probably should not have been called.

Not complaining mind you.  Just saying.

• 1 month later...

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/2/25/4025762/bill-polian-thinks-the-way-to-stop-read-option-is-to-hit-the-qb-every

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9070775/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-read-option-nfl-flavor-day

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/29/lions-cunningham-read-option-qbs-are-going-to-get-hurt/

Cunningham sounds like he's ready to put a bounty out...And that piece of trash Tomlin talks like he's going to tell his guys to hit the QB no matter what.

" We'll see if guys are committed to getting their guys hit."

"We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

They can't stop it, so they'll just hurt the player executing the read option sounds like what they're hinting at.

It's definitely a concern.  If you were a D-coordinator would you trade a 15 yard penalty for getting RGIII out of the game?

It's a forgone conclusion that RGIII will take hits, all QBs do, but my question is how much leeway will officials give defenders who try to pull the "hey, he is a running QB and on this play he kinda sorta made it look like he was about to run with the ball...."  ? 

For example, on the option plays where RGIII and the RB both run towards the corner, and RGIII flicks it to the RB at the last minute.   A hit on the QB in that case is legal if it is made quickly, but I have a feeling defenders will look and try to maul RGIII on those types of plays even if the hit is late, and then the officials might hold their flags because of RGIII's tendency to run on other plays.  I am not sure how being an athletic QB will change the ways officials protect or not protect him.

On the flipside, RGIII was extremely effective against the blitz, so defenders are risking big plays everytime they try to run sell-out blitzes against him

I think it has been discussed several times with officials. They made their point clear...if he appears to be running, he is a RB. He has to make it known he doesn't have the ball. One of the biggest issues/pluses with RGIII is that he is sooooo good at faking no one can tell he doesn't have the ball.

As for the articles that were linked...they read more like D-Coordinators who are scared then anything else. Sounds like they are trying to convince themselves...plus...I think we all know the Read-Option isn't run as much as everyone thinks it is.

The NFL is about cash and RG3 is a cash cow, I don't the NFL allows one of their young cash cows to be hurt by a dirty knucklehead without repercussion. If it was proven head hunting was involved they would bountygate that organization all over again. lol

Archived