Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

thing is, that leads to a wack product. The NFL's quality of play has declined over the last few years. Its an open secret.

Some teams do not have to compete because revenues are guaranteed.

And like you said, there is a salary floor and cap. I actually prefer the European/South American model to sports.

I don't know that the European model would work here. One thing is that nobody can be satisfied year in and year out just from beating their rivals here. Rivalries aren't that intense because our population is so much more transient than European populations. Nobody else plays our sports at our level either, so the Superbowl/NBA Finals/World series is the ultimate competition.

Fans have to be able to hope their team can truly compete one day. And even a Wizards fan can have hope when his team gets a John Wall in the draft. Or in the case of the NFL, your team strings together a couple of good drafts and signs the right coach and suddenly you're in a three or four year window of legit contention a la San Francisco or Seattle or Denver.

Also, I'm not sure I agree that the quality of the NFL product has gone down because of parity. For one thing, NFL venues and team facilities are these incredibly expensive and state of the art facilities and the teams make and spend a ton of money. If the level of play is declining, I think it's because of the danger of the sport is finally starting to be acknowledged and accounted for. To me, legislating as much danger from the sport as possible is a necessary transition that can't be avoided.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Bron is going to stay in Miami, he just making sure he the highest paid player in the league.

I don't think so.  I believe that once he, Bosh, and Wade chat, they'll figure out a plan to get paid accordingly, but also leave enough money on the table for the Heat to bolster their bench and upgrade the other starting positions.  I honestly feel like we'll see Kyle Lowry as the PG come next season and a vastly different looking 2nd unit. 

• Like 1

I don't know that the European model would work here. One thing is that nobody can be satisfied year in and year out just from beating their rivals here. Rivalries aren't that intense because our population is so much more transient than European populations. Nobody else plays our sports at our level either, so the Superbowl/NBA Finals/World series is the ultimate competition.

Fans have to be able to hope their team can truly compete one day. And even a Wizards fan can have hope when his team gets a John Wall in the draft. Or in the case of the NFL, your team strings together a couple of good drafts and signs the right coach and suddenly you're in a three or four year window of legit contention a la San Francisco or Seattle or Denver.

Also, I'm not sure I agree that the quality of the NFL product has gone down because of parity. For one thing, NFL venues and team facilities are these incredibly expensive and state of the art facilities and the teams make and spend a ton of money. If the level of play is declining, I think it's because of the danger of the sport is finally starting to be acknowledged and accounted for. To me, legislating as much danger from the sport as possible is a necessary transition that can't be avoided.

it would totally work here because it would force wack franchises to actually try or risk losing millions in value.

Its not just rivals, its also avoiding relegation.

And the NFL product has definitely declined. I am talking about on the field. the sport is a shell of what it was in the 90s.

If you're LeBron, where do you sign?

Now say that your decision will be 100% about basketball reasons, if you're LeBron, where do you sign?

If it was me and I wasn't making my decision strictly about my ability to compete for championships the next four to five years, I would stay in Miami. I'd go to Pat Riley and say, "I'm here for good, let's become the next Spurs. We don't have to be title favorites every year. let's focus on the draft and mid level FAs and sound fiscal management and build a tremendous system that creates sustainable success for the next 8 years of my career or so."

I think leaving Miami would be too much of a hit to my brand in the long run because changing teams effects legacies. And I think I'd still be able to truly compete in Miami anyway. Plus I can make more money in Miami than anywhere else. So what's the impetus to leave?

BUT, if I'm making my decision based solely on "who is going to give me the best chance at a ring each of the next four years" I would leave Miami. I would probably sign with Dallas.

Great ownership. Great coach (better than Spoelstra). A good roster with stability, veterancy, and players that fit with me. Dirk is taking a paycut this summer so there will be some money to spend. Calderon is my ideal PG. Ellis is a solid SG that can play off the ball as a shooter or take on a little bit of my scoring load night to night. Could easily have three other elite three ball shooters on the roster too. I'd have Dirk and a nice rotation of role playing big men in Wright/Dalembert/DeJuan Blair. It'd be a great situation basketball-wise.

Plus I wouldn't have my state income tax rate go up in Texas. I'd rub elbows with Jerry Jones and go to Cowboys games. And I don't think the spotlight on me would be quite as glaring for a stable franchise like Dallas. The fans are better even though Texas also has the Rockets and Spurs to worry about. And I wouldn't catch as much crap because I'm not forming a super team with my buddies.

It'd be way tougher to have to come through the West, but my team would be a power and I'd be 100% confident that I'd kill whatever team won the East so long as we made it to the Finals.

I don't think so.  I believe that once he, Bosh, and Wade chat, they'll figure out a plan to get paid accordingly, but also leave enough money on the table for the Heat to bolster their bench and upgrade the other starting positions.  I honestly feel like we'll see Kyle Lowry as the PG come next season and a vastly different looking 2nd unit.

I don't think they'll be able to afford Lowry. Lowry earned himself a 10+ million a year contract. If he signs for the MLE, his agent should be banished from the NBA because that's half of what he's worth.

For as great as Lebron is, going to the Western Conference puts him at a disadvantage as far as making the Finals year after year.  Barring injury, there isn't another team in the East who is capable of beating the Heat in 7 games to make the Finals.  He goes out West, he'll have to potentially grind it out vs. the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Portland, Houston, etc.  Who in the East is capable of beating a Heat team with the current big 3?  No one.  Indy is a mess, Washington isn't there yet, and there are numerous questions regarding just about every other playoff team from this past year. 

I really believe he'll stay in Miami.  To me, it's an easier road to the Finals, and if he gets 3-4 more chances, who's to say that he won't get 2 more rings? 

Yea I'm starting to believe that he's leaving MIA. He should at least consider WAS since they have a good nucleus of Young players in a weak East that made some playoff noise last season. CHI and NYK are possibilities and CLE is always an option. But considering the possible contracts that Wade and/or Bosh may receive tells me he may be gone. Wade wants to get paid. Bosh does too.

Another thing...since the "decision," Lebron has been VERY image conscious.  He's only recently repaired his reputation, to a degree, and thus, I don't think he'll bolt to another team due to the backlash and possible ramifications of losing endorsement $.  Staying in Miami is his best bet professionally and financially. 

• Like 1

Another thing...since the "decision," Lebron has been VERY image conscious.  He's only recently repaired his reputation, to a degree, and thus, I don't think he'll bolt to another team due to the backlash and possible ramifications of losing endorsement $.  Staying in Miami is his best bet professionally and financially.

It's definitely his best decision financially. But I'm not sure it's his best basketball-wise. For one thing, I don't think Spoelstra is nearly as good a coach as Carlisle or Thibs or Doc Rivers. For another, it's not going to be so easy to come out of the East if that Miami team falls apart around him.

And that very well could be what's happening. What we saw in the Finals might be the first signs of it. Wade looks done. Bosh has declined a ton too. What if he's done soon? Ray Allen looks immortal, but he is 38 after all. Battier is done. Shard and Haslem will probably be done within a year or so, if they aren't already. Chalmers sucks. Anderson is 35.

If LeBron signs a five year deal, you're looking at a potential scenario where his team is almost 100% turned over in year two. All he might have left over from this 4 year run is Norris Cole and a broken down Bosh. Two years is also enough time for other Eastern teams to emerge.

You'd be talking about a situation where he won't be a lock to come out of the East any more.

Dallas is a more appealing destination to me. He'd have shooters. He'd have one of the four best coaches in the game. He'd have a terrific surrounding cast with depth and roster balance. It's a situation where the team is already built and ready to go and he could come in day one and contend for championships without adding anyone else. No matter what, he'll have to beat San Antonio or the Clippers or OKC to get a ring anyway. What difference does it make if he plays them in the WCF instead of the Finals?

• Like 1

It's definitely his best decision financially. But I'm not sure it's his best basketball-wise. For one thing, I don't think Spoelstra is nearly as good a coach as Carlisle or Thibs or Doc Rivers. For another, it's not going to be so easy to come out of the East if that Miami team falls apart around him.

And that very well could be what's happening. What we saw in the Finals might be the first signs of it. Wade looks done. Bosh has declined a ton too. What if he's done soon? Ray Allen looks immortal, but he is 38 after all. Battier is done. Shard and Haslem will probably be done within a year or so, if they aren't already. Chalmers sucks. Anderson is 35.

If LeBron signs a five year deal, you're looking at a potential scenario where his team is almost 100% turned over in year two. All he might have left over from this 4 year run is Norris Cole and a broken down Bosh. Two years is also enough time for other Eastern teams to emerge.

You'd be talking about a situation where he won't be a lock to come out of the East any more.

Dallas is a more appealing destination to me. He'd have shooters. He'd have one of the four best coaches in the game. He'd have a terrific surrounding cast with depth and roster balance. It's a situation where the team is already built and ready to go and he could come in day one and contend for championships without adding anyone else. No matter what, he'll have to beat San Antonio or the Clippers or OKC to get a ring anyway. What difference does it make if he plays them in the WCF instead of the Finals?

I really think he'll re-sign after talking to both Bosh/Wade.  Their championship window in Miami has not come close to shutting. 

I also believe that Lebron is more image-concsious than what people may realize.  The most scrutiny and vitriol he EVER experienced as an athlete was in the wake of "The Decision."  He can't afford (image-wise) to jump ship. 

You're 10000% right.  Carlisle is a far superior coach to Spo, but Lebron's quest to get out of the West to the Finals becomes about 100x harder if he signs w/ the Mavs. 

Pat Riley is no fool.  If he was smart enough to get the Big 3 in Miami 4 years ago, he'll be smart enough to lay out a plan where they take lesser money, but shows where the team can improve with the extra cap space. 

Id say it's 70% chance he'll stay.

They'll all opt out and end up adding some nice pieces.

Also like someone said earlier, he's image conscious. He doesn't want to look like a douche again.

And he's not gonna go to an "up and coming" team because he's not gonna want to wait for kids to learn how to win in the playoffs. He'll want to win in 2015.

I actually like the idea of LeBron in Atlanta but not with Melo. They'd be better off spending Melo's money on the supporting cast.

The thing with LeBron and Melo is they play the same position and neither are true PFs. Melo can play off the ball. But all that money on two perimeter scoring SFs. You need bigs and you need guards. Atlanta has Horford and Millsap and Teague. Keep those guys around LeBron and find a shooter at SG and that's a very nice line up. They wouldn't need Melo too.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-clippers-lebron-james-20140624-story.html

Clippers interested in making a run at LeBron James

Thee Clippers, like so many NBA teams, have had discussions about a contingency plan on how to acquire LeBron James after the All-Star forward informed the Miami Heat on Tuesday that he was opting out of his contract to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

But just like all those NBA teams that would like to get James, the Clippers also believe that he’ll re-sign with the Heat.

That was the thinking of several NBA officials who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Doc Rivers, the Clippers’ president of basketball operations and coach, and his staff are doing their due diligence to make the team better and would consider moving All-Star power forward Blake Griffin along with others in a sign-and-trade deal to get James, according to the officials.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

it would totally work here because it would force wack franchises to actually try or risk losing millions in value.Its not just rivals, its also avoiding relegation.And the NFL product has definitely declined. I am talking about on the field. the sport is a shell of what it was in the 90s.

But revenues have never been higher and they crush the competition. Parity is better than dynasty. It doesn't matter how good those old teams were, competition is better when the outcome is as uncertain as possible. I'd rather see teams like the Seahawks suddenly win a Super Bowl with a flawed team than watch a handful of great teams dominate an era. I don't watch to see the best players on one team testing the limits of what is possible. I want hope that my team can make a run, everything else is secondary.

As it relates to the nba I want a hard cap and revenue sharing. I disagree that this prevents teams from improving, I think it allows teams to focus on getting better instead of focusing on not losing money. I want super teams to be something strictly seen in international play. I never want to see a Bulls/Lakers/Celtics style dominant squad again. I want such a thing to be unthinkable.

I think that the NFL model is far and away the best in pro sports for fans, though certainly not for players. It might be the worst for players.

• Like 1

I actually don't enjoy seeing mediocre 9-7 teams compete and win Super Bowls.

You miss the good old days of Super Bowl's being mostly blowouts? Really?! I think those miserable games are why people created the Super Bowl party. Actually sitting through one of those games was hard, so why not distract from it with food, drink, and noise.

It's not just about superbowls. It's why you felt every year that the skins might turn it around all of the sudden, even though you should know better. It's why 5 year rebuilding timelines are gone and every year some team comes out of no where. Compare the misguided hope the redskins manage to pull out of a hat to what you felt going into a wizards season three years ago. The nba is a dreary place for too many teams. They know going in that there is no hope. They are thinking draft pick before the season starts.

The nba is trying to change with the luxury tax but Lebron hit them with a curve ball and convinced two other players to take a pay cut. No one saw that coming. They need to let go of the lottery and just let the worst teams add the best talent. They need to even the talent distribution so coaches and strategy matter more than simply the most talent in most series play, not just when facing a legend like Popovich. It would certainly help if they shortened playoff series. 7 game series make it almost certain the most talented team wins. Who the hell wants that? No one that's interested in the drama of sports. They should be three games so that if a lesser team steals one suddenly they are a good shooting night from an upset no one saw coming. Champions shouldn't get the luxury of bad nights given by 7 games series. Any star can have two horrible games in a row and still advance comfortably. That is boring!

There is a reason the NCAA tourney does so well and it sure as hell isn't the quality of play. It's uncertainty. Chance. Upsets. Drama. There is a reason no one watched the Charlotte Miami series. Where were the fans of the beautiful game that love super teams? Asleep after the first quarter. It's like watching a movie when you already know how it ends. Sure it works for a few favorites but for the most part that's not terribly entertaining.

Edited by Destino